PDA

View Full Version : Has popular music got worse?

Wesley
12-06-2014, 01:08 PM
I think chart music has gotten worse in the 2010s. The music from previous decades was better, though there are still some good bands/artists out there like Snow Patrol and Kelly Clarkson.

Slade
12-06-2014, 01:09 PM
It's all personal preference. I stopped liking mainstream stuff about 6 years ago.

CyberCubed
12-06-2014, 01:12 PM
Music hasn't been good since like 1999. You're off by about 15 years.

MrPliggins
12-06-2014, 01:19 PM
There has always been bad pop music. It's the stuff that never gets played anymore. Only the best of the best last throughout the decades. As with previous decades, the worst pop music of today will not survive the test of time, and will never be played in 2044.

Just try finding the "top 100" songs of a given year in the '50s, or '60s. How many of those songs have you never heard of?

Wesley
12-06-2014, 01:26 PM
There has always been bad pop music. It's the stuff that never gets played anymore. Only the best of the best last throughout the decades. As with previous decades, the worst pop music of today will not survive the test of time, and will never be played in 2044.

Just try finding the "top 100" songs of a given year in the '50s, or '60s. How many of those songs have you never heard of?

You're right about pop music. I didn't pay much attention to music until recently, but I agree that there is good and bad music in each decade. I mostly like music from the 60s, 80s, 90s and 00s.

Powder
12-06-2014, 03:20 PM
While this is an incredibly subjective issue, I gotta agree with Cubed.

Music hasn't been good since like 1999. You're off by about 15 years.

snake
12-06-2014, 03:22 PM
Yes. Besides most stuff I listen to comes before 2010, with the exception of Weird Al.

Prowler
12-06-2014, 03:42 PM
Pop music and and chart topping hits aren't usually that good. Just catchy stuff that makes people move for a few minutes. In every decade there's, more or less, an equal amount of good and bad music. It's easy to say that music has never been so bad these days but that's because most people don't remember crappy one hit wonders from the previous decades. Only the popular stuff that's considered somewhat good survives and stands the test of time. Or do you think people will actually remember Justin Bieber in 20 years? And what about bands such as Spice Girls and Duran Duran? How often do people mention them these days? They're merely afterthoughts.

pennydreadful
12-06-2014, 05:34 PM
I don't listen to 'popular' chart music so I probably couldn't say - my kneejerk reaction is to say that it's all just commercialized, auto-tuned crap, but then pop music has always been commercialized to a degree.

I think the music industry's in a crisis at the moment, put it that way, and creativity seems to be at an all-time low.

Brooke507
12-07-2014, 02:23 PM
It depends. Some popular songs are actually pretty great, while others make me want to pull my hair out. There's good and bad in everything.

Wesley
12-07-2014, 02:49 PM
It depends. Some popular songs are actually pretty great, while others make me want to pull my hair out. There's good and bad in everything.

I agree. Some good popular songs in this decade are Burn by Ellie Goulding and Shake It Off by Taylor Swift.

joe-eyeball
12-07-2014, 04:23 PM
Its been pretty bad since the mid to late nineties!

Brooke507
12-07-2014, 04:53 PM
I agree. Some good popular songs in this decade are Burn by Ellie Goulding and Shake It Off by Taylor Swift.

I love those

Whatswiththeheadbands?
12-31-2014, 08:02 AM
All of the music I listen to is before the mid 1990s, so I would say yes.

plastroncafe
12-31-2014, 10:40 AM
The music is the same, you're just old now.
Welcome to the ice flow, kid.

TigerClaw
12-31-2014, 10:49 AM
I listen to a lot of electronic dance music, you tend to hear it a lot on the radio, But it sounds way to commercial for my taste, Which is why I only listen to the underground stuff. Its kind of annoying hearing the music that kids today call Trance, And it sounds nothing like the the Trance I'm used to.

BubblyShell22
12-31-2014, 04:31 PM
I think it just depends on the song or artist. I do like pop music, but there are some people I can't stand to listen to like Justin Bieber and One Direction. I do like Taylor Swift though and "Burn" is a good song, too.

Zarana-X
12-31-2014, 06:27 PM
Yes. Popular music hasn't been good since 1987.:tgrin:

Wesley
01-01-2015, 12:45 PM
Well, I might have been a bit harsh on this decade's popular music. There were some great songs released in 2011 such as Alice by Avril Lavigne and Pocketful of Sunshine by Natasha Bedingfield. We are only about halfway through this decade anyway, so a lot of great music may be released in the following years. I think it's easier to pick out music that one likes from a šecade when that decade has ended. When a decade is still ongoing, it's harder to pick out the music. Also, people have different tastes in music.

CyberCubed
01-01-2015, 12:52 PM
To be fair its not like Katy Perry or Taylor Swift are any worse than Britney Spears or Madonna.

If they were reversed in real life it would be the same.

Candy Kappa
01-01-2015, 01:20 PM
I mostly listen to music made by people old enough to be my parents, or grandparents... So I donno.

Although, I think you're just getting old. :P

TigerClaw
01-01-2015, 06:08 PM
If you listen to EDM lately, a lot of them have the same drops.
Here's an example of what I mean. These are 16 different tracks mashed together in a 1 minute clip.
https://soundcloud.com/daleri/epic-mashleg

Jester
01-01-2015, 06:35 PM
The "best music" was made when you were your most into music. Much like TV and movies.

CyberCubed
01-01-2015, 06:56 PM
This is why we all love 80's music, most of us were born in the 80's. Although most of the 90's was good too.

Once we hit 2000 it went downhill rapidly. I turn my nose up at the young people of today and their pop artists and rap gangster composers.

sdp
01-01-2015, 07:39 PM
I remember this question when I was a kid. And this question will be asked in 15 years as well. "At least the 2010's had _____"

ToTheNines
01-01-2015, 07:59 PM
To be fair its not like Katy Perry or Taylor Swift are any worse than Britney Spears or Madonna.

Madonna is awesome, peasant.

Davetello
01-01-2015, 08:24 PM
Madonna is awesome, peasant.

I like Madonna too.

Pop music was pretty rubbish back in the day as well, tbh. It's hard to envision a worse group than One Direction, though. Talentless cvnts. They make the likes of Girls Aloud and Boyzone appear awesome in comparison.

pannoni1
01-01-2015, 08:27 PM
This is why we all love 80's music, most of us were born in the 80's. Although most of the 90's was good too.

Once we hit 2000 it went downhill rapidly. I turn my nose up at the young people of today and their pop artists and rap gangster composers.

I strongly agree with your 1999 point; 99% of my record collection is from 1999 and before as a matter of fact. At least 1999 had Nu Metal, Latino pop/rock such as Ricky Martin and Santana's Comeback, TLC's last great album, Red Hot Chili Peppers' Californication, and the "teen pop" songs were still fun as I was in the target demographic. But as soon as the century turned, it quickly turned into a "bling bling me", scrEaMO, ringtone (c)rap, and later EDM/Dubstep/Autotune crap.

That's why the Nick version of the TMNT song is fitting; it easily could have come out in the mid/late '90s when the Rap/Rock fusion was at its peak. Today however, the music industry is more focused on the touring and merchandise and less about the music, though it always helps to get a foot in the door. There is still some good talent out there which is why many concerts still sell out and merchandise and social media still has lots of followers. Its just in the eye of the beholder and the most important thing about music is not necessarily the melody/rhythm, but the message: if you understand and "feel" its purpose, you'll enjoy it; if not, it just serves no purpose to listen to. Unfortunately the bandwagon effect is so high that some research is required, and many good songs are by smaller, indie bands that aren't as accessible.

Jester
01-02-2015, 04:03 AM
There are some artists I really dig now. My wife turned me on to Daft Punk and because of them I have a respect for Pharrell Williams. Very talented guy.

Wesley
01-02-2015, 01:26 PM

Britney Spears has a few good songs, but she doesn't have a great singing voice. Katy Perry and Taylor Swift are much better than her.

Well, I was born in the 80s, but I and a lot of my friends mostly like music from the 60s, 80s, 90s and 00s. In the 2000s, there were some great bands/artists like The Killers, Snow Patrol, Kelly Clarkson, Nelly Furtado, etc.

I like Madonna too.

Pop music was pretty rubbish back in the day as well, tbh. It's hard to envision a worse group than One Direction, though. Talentless cvnts. They make the likes of Girls Aloud and Boyzone appear awesome in comparison.

I agree that there was a lot of bad pop music back then as well. Wannabe by the Spice Girls is annoying to listen to. I like a few of Madonna's songs.

pandaderek
01-23-2015, 05:12 AM
Bill Clinton had some blame for why a lot of **** sounds the same. He made it possible for radio stations to be nationally owned...ability for businesses to create a monopoly, basically. That, and with businesses reliant on focus groups that screen music that they think is profitable. The diversity in pop music is eliminated, which is why pop music is boring, today.