PDA

View Full Version : Which episode would you recommend to a first-time viewer?

Gunpowder
12-08-2014, 10:46 PM
If you had to convince someone to give Nick Turtles a fair go (suppose they were only willing to watch one episode), what episode would you have them watch first, to try and show them it's actually worthwhile? And for what reason(s)?

I'm sure a lot of you guys would say "Rise of the Turtles" or "The Invasion", but personally, the former didn't quite maintain my interest, and the latter is just too much of a spoiler. But if you'd pick one of those two, by all means, say so.

I'd either pick "Never Say Xever" or "New Girl in Town" - both from Season 1. From my input, both of those episodes epitomize the type of action/humor that this show has. That, and they have a nice flow to them that keeps you attached for the whole 22 minutes (give or take). All subjective, though, of course.

Luckyday
12-08-2014, 10:56 PM
If you had to convince someone to give Nick Turtles a fair go (suppose they were only willing to watch one episode), what episode would you have them watch first, to try and show them it's actually worthwhile? And for what reason(s)?

I'm sure a lot of you guys would say "Rise of the Turtles" or "The Invasion", but personally, the former didn't quite maintain my interest, and the latter is just too much of a spoiler. But if you'd pick one of those two, by all means, say so.

I'd either pick "Never Say Xever" or "New Girl in Town" - both from Season 1. From my input, both of those episodes epitomize the type of action/humor that this show has. That, and they have a nice flow to them that keeps you attached for the whole 22 minutes (give or take). All subjective, though, of course.

Hmm well Metalhead is perfect because there isn't a lot background info that you would need to know before watching it. Another would be Slash and Destroy because it's such a strong stand alone episode and emphasis them as a family. Plus you can't go wrong with Corey Feldman. It is just so good.

FlogginMcMurryZombiePizza
12-09-2014, 01:08 AM
I used Squirrelanoid to re-introduce my mom to the TMNT... Or rather, introduce her to the new show. I figured she would get a kick out of it 'cus of all the Alien references (We both love those movies). She even pointed out that the Squirrels had "those phallic heads", which I pointed out "but it glows!"

Umm... but really I don't know... it would depend.
Is this person familiar with the franchise in anyway but became disconnected or distant? Jump them right back in with one of the more fun episodes. The Gauntlet, maybe. I do like the very psychological themes in I, Monster, I enjoy that episode a lot. The Pulverizer Returns could be fun... considering we witness a naive fanboy turn in to goo (almost as creepy as seeing that cat, may as well have been Klunk, melt down and rot away into ice cream).

Has the person no clue what this series is about? I would probably start them on Rise of the Turtles. Why? It's a new origin for this world. Great episode? No, I suppose not... It didn't capture me in the same way Arrow got me in the first episode before it was even halfway over. But in my opinion, if I start them off somewhere else in the series, they may not get what's going on.
That being said, it could be good to just throw someone who has no idea right into the show. You could instantly alienate them 'cus they dont get it... or they will love the absurdity. Basically those are the people we want, yea? lol

Basically it just comes down to me fanboying on what episode I think is badass. I compare it against what I hear DJs do doing their live sets, they get into it with the crowd and feed off them and that translates into what the DJ is playing or mixing for the crowd. I figure out the person(s) I'm hanging out with and expose them to an episode I feel would jive well with 'em.

evan2000
12-09-2014, 01:15 AM
Showing anything from season 3 is out of the question for me, it would be a dead giveaway that the turtles were defeated in The Invasion, and I wouldn't want to spoil something that big for a new (potential) TMNT fan. Besides there just isn't any extremely good episodes from Season 3 so far, and it's not a good representation of the series as a whole with the absence of Splinter, Shredder, Kraang and NYC in general.

Showing anything from season 2 (or season 1 finale) also risks spoiling reveals/plot twists like:

Karai=Miwa, Dogpound=Rahzar, Spike=Slash, Timothy=Mutagen Man, Irma=KSP etc.
... so I would stay away from those as well. If the person don't mind being spoiled though, my top pick for season 2 would be The Manhattan Project due to the sheer amount of action going on and the involvement of most of the main casts in the show.

If I were to pick an episode that wouldn't spoil anything major, it has to be in season 1 and definitely not the finale for obvious reason. My top pick would be The Gauntlet as it is still one of the best episodes of the series, and involved most of the major characters in the first half of season 1 including Splinter, April, Kirby, Kraang, Xever, Bradford, and Shredder's grand debut of course.

I also have a 2nd or 3rd pick depending what the person wants to see. If I have to pick one of the Karai episodes, it would be Enemy of My Enemy, and if the person wants something more entertaining with less tension, I'd pick Mousers Attack!

And if the person wants to know where my T-phone ringtone came from, I'd show him Monkey Brains :tlol:

victory_angel
12-09-2014, 01:29 AM
I would probably show the Gauntlet. While it doesn't offer any back story or anything about the characters it's easy for a new comer to figure out what is going on. And then if they are interested you can bring out rise of the Turtles or you can let them discover the series at their own pace.

ToTheNines
12-09-2014, 11:41 AM
I would probably show the Gauntlet. While it doesn't offer any back story or anything about the characters it's easy for a new comer to figure out what is going on. And then if they are interested you can bring out rise of the Turtles or you can let them discover the series at their own pace.

I would agree that The Gauntlet is the best episode, but the problem is the show has yet to be as awesome as that episode ever since it aired.

It's a great show, but watching the water balloon antics and silly plot of Panic in The Sewers is painful after Hoon Lee's epic "We. Are. At. WAR." line.

CyberCubed
12-09-2014, 11:41 AM
The very first episode. Why anyone would start a new show without watching from the start is beyond me.

IndigoErth
12-09-2014, 12:09 PM
Hmm... might depend on the person, if epicness, humor, or story would more likely hook them.

If season finales are taken in full, Showdown is one I'd consider. Although in most cases I'd prob just suggest the first of the series since potential viewers would be lost on the story and part of the appeal anyhow if just thrown into the middle.

If someone would mostly be looking for the humor, then I'd prob suggest "fillers" like Pizza Face or the Bigfoot one.

snake
12-09-2014, 12:58 PM
Never Say Xever is a good example, but I'd just hand them the first half of season one dvd.

JTH
12-09-2014, 02:08 PM
It Came From the Depths was my first episode. So judging by that, it definitely would be a good choice.

jenna
12-09-2014, 02:47 PM
I tried to introduce a friend using The Gauntlet. She took one look at Pete the Pigeon and told me it was stupid. So she didn't even start to appreciate the brilliance of the Shredder v turtles sequence. So, learning from that.... Some people need easing in to the weirdness. People are willing to accept mutant turtles by virtue of the property's concept, but throw in alien brains and giant man-pigeons and it becomes too much.

So since then I have used Rise of the Turtles pt 1, New Friend Old Enemy and Never Say Xever. They have each got some epic moments, character development, excellent action sequences and some hilarious moments, and yet remain relatable to those who are not familiar with the property.

Everyone I've introduced to these episodes have loved them.

snake
12-09-2014, 02:52 PM
I tried to introduce a friend using The Gauntlet. She took one look at Pete the Pigeon and told me it was stupid. So she didn't even start to appreciate the brilliance of the Shredder v turtles sequence. So, learning from that.... Some people need easing in to the weirdness. People are willing to accept mutant turtles by virtue of the property's concept, but throw in alien brains and giant man-pigeons and it becomes too much.

So since then I have used Rise of the Turtles pt 1, New Friend Old Enemy and Never Say Xever. They have each got some epic moments, character development, excellent action sequences and some hilarious moments, and yet remain relatable to those who are not familiar with the property.

Everyone I've introduced to these episodes have loved them.
Was she a fan of anything turtles? If so, she should be used to weird things, because every incarnation has them.

Aaronardo
12-09-2014, 02:58 PM
I'd say The Gauntlet. It's basically the whole beginning of the show in one episode and doesn't spoil too much of the story (besides Dogpound and Fishface).

Electric
12-10-2014, 05:19 AM
For me, the show had a point where it reaaallllly picked up, and that is when they introduced karai. So based off that, I'd show New Girl in Town

JH24
12-10-2014, 10:30 AM
Never Say Xever is a good example, but I'd just hand them the first half of season one dvd.

Never say Xever is the first episode that came into my mind as well. I enjoyed the focus on the turtles, them interacting with humans, Leo struggling with himself, the Purple Dragons, Shredder being shown as well, etc. It's still one of my favorite episodes with some nice fight scenes.

I sometimes wish the series went more into this direction instead of relying heavily on mutants and Kraang.

A second choice would be "New Girl in Town." Introduction of Karai, conflict between Leo and Raph, etc. But the appearance of Snakeweed might give the wrong impression at first.

plastroncafe
12-10-2014, 11:02 AM
Depends on the age of the person I'm recommending the show to.

The one where Timothy gets turned into Mutagen Man is my Go-To for adults, because...BODY HORROR AND SO MESSED UP.

I recommended a friend of mine who's a college professor of sociology all the Donnie/April heavy episodes for her lectures on Consent.

THGhost
12-10-2014, 11:10 AM
The very first episode. Why anyone would start a new show without watching from the start is beyond me.

Beat me to it. Definitely watch the first episode. Starting a new show with anything other than its first episode is ludicrous.

jenna
12-10-2014, 01:32 PM
Was she a fan of anything turtles? If so, she should be used to weird things, because every incarnation has them.

No - she remembered the OT but that was it.

BabyTurtles
12-10-2014, 01:40 PM
mmm.....Never Say Xever??? it didn't seem to give away too much spoilers.. (other than Bradford formerly being Mikey's friend).

Super Goku
12-10-2014, 01:55 PM

I would recommend the episode where Leo shoots down the Kraang ship with a rocket and Shredder goes under water because it is action packed and also has humor, and has the Foot Clan in it.

lindz247
12-15-2014, 05:24 PM
The first episode I ever watched was Enemy of My Enemy and that's what got me totally hooked. The fighting and action was just great and all at the same time having a great touch of humor in the show to lighten it up. Love this show so much! <3