PDA

View Full Version : Anyone remember Sonic the Comic?

Wesley
12-09-2014, 02:43 PM
Anyone read Sonic the Comic in the 1990s? I read it from 1996 to 2002. I thought it was a great comic. Nigel Kitching and Lew Stringer were good writers. They told their own stories and used elements from the games. I liked its incarnation of Sonic. Super Sonic was one of the best villains ever.

ZariusTwo
12-10-2014, 09:42 AM
Formed a fun and memorable part my childhood back in the day. Loved those strips back in the day, every character had their own unique stories, like Tails as the Zone runner and a knight of the forbidden zone where they all thought he was the hero and not Sonic.

Fun fact: Archie Comics were once offered the rights to use the Brotherhood of Metallix

Wesley
12-10-2014, 11:32 AM
Formed a fun and memorable part my childhood back in the day. Loved those strips back in the day, every character had their own unique stories, like Tails as the Zone runner and a knight of the forbidden zone where they all thought he was the hero and not Sonic.

Fun fact: Archie Comics were once offered the rights to use the Brotherhood of Metallix

I agree. There were interesting original characters as well such as Captain Plunder, Grimer and Dr. Zachary. I also liked Nack the Weasel, the Chaotix, Amy and Dr. Robotnik. Robotnik's origin made him a more complex villain than his other incarnations.

Allio
12-12-2014, 06:21 PM
Still enjoy the comics. got much better after Ken Penders left

#UCK Ken Penders

ZariusTwo
12-13-2014, 05:45 AM
Still enjoy the comics. got much better after Ken Penders left

#UCK Ken Penders

We're not talking about Archie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_the_Comic

Allio
12-14-2014, 02:36 AM
Oh....welll....point still stands about Ken

FlogginMcMurryZombiePizza
12-14-2014, 03:14 AM
Unfortunately I never knew about the Sonic the Comic series. That looks like an awesome series. Any collected books released?

Spaz and Harvo may have been the first comic book artists whos names I remembered and looked for at such a young age.
I might still have some early Sonic comics... like, pre issue 50. Some maybe in good condition but I fear most look like hell.

ZariusTwo
12-14-2014, 06:13 AM
Unfortunately I never knew about the Sonic the Comic series. That looks like an awesome series. Any collected books released?

There used to be a website collecting all the back issues, but it's gone down. There were about two small trades in the 90s, but there's never been a serious attempt at gathering them together, probably due to a lot of rights issues.

There is, however, an online fan continuation of the book, you can read the back issues of that here

http://www.stconline.co.uk/backissues.html

Wesley
12-15-2014, 11:31 AM

Spaz and Harvo may have been the first comic book artists whos names I remembered and looked for at such a young age.
I might still have some early Sonic comics... like, pre issue 50. Some maybe in good condition but I fear most look like hell.

One could buy back issues when the comic was still in print, but I don't think they were collected together like the Archie Sonic issues are.

Mew
01-14-2015, 03:44 PM
The TMNT had a cameo, if we're talking 'bout Archie.

DarkFell
01-14-2015, 04:34 PM
The TMNT had a cameo, if we're talking 'bout Archie.
OP wasn't referring to the Archie Comics. Sonic the Comic was the UK comic version of Sonic the Hedgehog.

Mew
01-14-2015, 05:34 PM
Oh, crap.
Still did in the Archie comics, though.