PDA

View Full Version : Are you good at remembering and understanding lyrics?

Wesley
12-10-2014, 03:02 PM
Are you good at remembering and understanding lyrics? I usually have to listen to a song a few times to remember the lyrics. Sometimes, I don't understand what a song is about, so I need to check the Internet to find out its meaning.

Brooke507
12-10-2014, 07:25 PM
I can remember the lyrics to some songs easily. When I was in middle school I could recall all the words to all the High School Musical songs, and I would sing them out loud in my room :lol: I actually still like them, as corny as they are. Other songs aren't as easy for me to remember.

pennydreadful
12-10-2014, 07:59 PM
I remember and understand lyrics very quickly; the only thing that could ever slow me up is the pitch at which the lyrics are sung - back in the day it used to take me a little longer to figure out what's being said when someone did a very low-pitched metal growl, but these days it's not an issue.

Surprisingly, a lot of people say "I can't understand what they're saying when they're screaming/growling" (referring to metal) but the longer you listen to metal, the more used to it you get... you adjust to the pitch and so the words come through quite clearly once you've got your "metal ears" on.

Or maybe that's just me. :)

Prowler
12-10-2014, 08:02 PM
Nah, I'm pretty terrible at it. Don't know many songs' lyrics by heart.

Brooke507
12-10-2014, 08:03 PM
I remember and understand lyrics very quickly; the only thing that could ever slow me up is the pitch at which the lyrics are sung - back in the day it used to take me a little longer to figure out what's being said when someone did a very low-pitched metal growl, but these days it's not an issue.

Surprisingly, a lot of people say "I can't understand what they're saying when they're screaming/growling" (referring to metal) but the longer you listen to metal, the more used to it you get... you adjust to the pitch and so the words come through quite clearly once you've got your "metal ears" on.

Or maybe that's just me. :)

I didn't used to like metal, but I got into it recently. One of my favorite bands is War of Ages. I love the intense emotion in their lyrics and vocals.

Slade
12-10-2014, 08:04 PM
Yeah I do it pretty easy. That's not to say I can recite it word for word after one listen. But my friends could tell you of they are reciting a song or posting the lyrics on Facebook, an I know the song, I'll usually correct them if they're wrong. They get annoyed.

My best friend actually can tell you the song by the beat.

Leo656
12-10-2014, 08:08 PM
Great at it. I mean I mishear things sometimes like everyone does but I'm usually very, very close.

A lot of times when I get a new record, I'll listen to it once, then I'll grab the book and listen to it a couple times to really "get" the lyrics. AFI records are always great for that, their lyrics never let me down. Once I know a song I can usually remember it pretty easily. It even amazes me how I won't hear a song for a few years but it's so deep in my memory that when I hear it, I might miss a word or two but that's all.

And penny you're right about the metal thing. You do kind of have to shift the way you listen to fully comprehend it. I still tend to not be very into the "growlier" stuff but to each their own, it's not as indecipherable as people make it out to be. Well, most anyway. Some people just can't sing.

MsMarvelDuckie
12-11-2014, 12:01 AM
Great at it. I mean I mishear things sometimes like everyone does but I'm usually very, very close.

A lot of times when I get a new record, I'll listen to it once, then I'll grab the book and listen to it a couple times to really "get" the lyrics. AFI records are always great for that, their lyrics never let me down. Once I know a song I can usually remember it pretty easily. It even amazes me how I won't hear a song for a few years but it's so deep in my memory that when I hear it, I might miss a word or two but that's all.

And penny you're right about the metal thing. You do kind of have to shift the way you listen to fully comprehend it. I still tend to not be very into the "growlier" stuff but to each their own, it's not as indecipherable as people make it out to be. Well, most anyway. Some people just can't sing.

Ditto. I usually only have to hear a song a few times to memorize it, and I can usually remember lyrics to songs I haven't heard in years, or only heard a few times. I have a very good "ear", but unfortunately, I don't have the voice to go with it. I can also tell when something is a bit off-key pretty easily, too. That's one thing that irks me so much with cover songs- often the artist doing the cover doesn't even have the tune quite right, or the speed is too fast/slow for the lyrics, and it ruins the song for me.