PDA

View Full Version : Dark Knight or Planet of the Apes styled movie

LeotheLateBloomer
12-13-2014, 06:08 AM
How you feel about a Dark Knight trilogy or Planet of the Apes (Rise and Dawn storyline) styled TMNT movie?

Candy Kappa
12-13-2014, 06:52 AM
so, a storyline where the Turtles defeats a couple of major villains, retires for almost a decade before resurfacing. then realize they're "too old for this ****", makes new protegees and fake their deaths.

Or

Turtles everywhere taking over the planet with their superiors martial arts skills while humans slowly dies off by disasters?

newhire13
12-13-2014, 08:45 AM
Neither. TMNT should stand on its own two feet.

snake
12-13-2014, 09:46 AM
The last thing I want is a "realistic" nolan TMNT movie.

TMNT is cooler than MOTU
12-13-2014, 11:59 AM
so, a storyline where the Turtles defeats a couple of major villains, retires for almost a decade before resurfacing. then realize they're "too old for this ****", makes new protegees and fake their deaths.

Or

Turtles everywhere taking over the planet with their superiors martial arts skills while humans slowly dies off by disasters?

The latter would be ****ing amazing!

Autbot_Benz
12-13-2014, 12:04 PM
ya a nolan esque movie with 90% talking and badly filmed action no thanks.

The Boston Ninja Turtle
12-13-2014, 12:31 PM
ya a nolan esque movie with 90% talking and badly filmed action no thanks.

so what we already got?

Autbot_Benz
12-13-2014, 12:50 PM
in my opinion the action in turtles was filmed better than nolan's batman movies. Also the talking isn't as boring as in nolan's universe of exposition.

TigerClaw
12-13-2014, 12:56 PM
I don't know about a Planet of the Apes style TMNT movie, How does that work? It takes place in a world where mutants became the dominant species over the humans?

TrickOrTreater
12-13-2014, 01:57 PM
in my opinion the action in turtles was filmed better than nolan's batman movies. Also the talking isn't as boring as in nolan's universe of exposition.

I mean when you get nothing but cliches and boner jokes then yeah it's going to seem to fly right by.

Commenter 42
12-13-2014, 03:39 PM
Turtles aren't Batman, and Nolan is the most over hyped Director on the planet, next to Del Toro. I don't want him to touch turtles, but I also don't think he would do it, since they aren't "possible" in reality.

There are many better Directors out there. If you're looking for an epic Turtles film, it would be David Fincher, IMHO. But it really depends on personal taste. Fincher likes dark subject matter, and his films have a noir feel. Lt's of people love his films, but don't know his name.

I liked the message in Dawn of Planet of the Apes, but it could have gone further. I can see replacing apes with mutants, and the divide between humans and mutants being an interesting idea, but kind of a retread after the x-men franchise.

obviously, overall, we don't want cheesy garbage like we got this year, at least I don't.

The biggest mistake they've made. in my opion, is telling the story from a human perspective. They had the cart backwards.

LeoRaph
12-13-2014, 04:08 PM
Just get them to be taken seriously like they were originally meant to be taken dealing with the themes and issues that being a mutant ninja turtle in a human world brings. "Life is at Best Bitter Sweet" That can be the tag line. It already sets a great tone to explore.

Drop the teenage part, let them be adolescents in their mid 20s and it doesn't matter whether it's 'nolanised' (I like what Nolan did with Batman btw) just as long as the production company, writers, directors and actors all give 100% of a sh*t and treat the franchise with the respect it deserves.

I think around 2020 it will happen, bay will do 2 to 3 more kiddified fart loving leg humping megan o'neil movies it will go into the Batman and Robin mourning period then someone will come and do them justice, just going to have to ride this one out till then...

Commenter 42
12-13-2014, 06:01 PM
Just get them to be taken seriously like they were originally meant to be taken dealing with the themes and issues that being a mutant ninja turtle in a human world brings. "Life is at Best Bitter Sweet" That can be the tag line. It already sets a great tone to explore.

Drop the teenage part, let them be adolescents in their mid 20s and it doesn't matter whether it's 'nolanised' (I like what Nolan did with Batman btw) just as long as the production company, writers, directors and actors all give 100% of a sh*t and treat the franchise with the respect it deserves.

I think around 2020 it will happen, bay will do 2 to 3 more kiddified fart loving leg humping megan o'neil movies it will go into the Batman and Robin mourning period then someone will come and do them justice, just going to have to ride this one out till then...

I don't hate the realistic take on fantasy, I really enjoy it, but that's not Nolanizing something.
In my mind, Nolanizing is a script of red-herrings and misdirection that have no payoff, and a story structure that breaks it's own rules. I can't stand films that claim to be smarter than they are by cheating the narrative. That's my beef with Nolan; he breaks the rules of his own world. Just something I cant stand, well that and Anne Hathaway.

I think you could take a real world approach without cannibalizing your story to fit an "aha" moment later.

I'm sick of the kiddie take myself.

sgtfbomb
12-13-2014, 06:21 PM
in my opinion the action in turtles was filmed better than nolan's batman movies. .

I disagree with this. The action sequences, save for the avalanche scene, were fairly generic. In The Dark Knight, when Joker chases down Harvey while Batman ultimately comes to the rescue, there is a build up, a hook, it's interesting. Harvey confesses to being Batman in order lure in the Joker. I love how instead of clashing hardhitting score with loud sound effects, they used the sound effects as the score, driving me in without me becoming desensitized to the endless action, and I love how you can actually watch the action, without needless and contrived camera shaking (in contrast, Bay's DP might also be hitting that cocaine).

When Batman has to keep the SWAT team from unknowingly killing innocent hostages dressed as bad guys, that's interesting. Far more engaging than watching a bland action scene with very little motivations other than "Hey, let's stop the bad guy ..... whoever he is!"

EDIT: Although, as much as I like those Nolan films, I don't want a film that bases it's characters actions and motivations with faux idealism. (As I absolutely loved The Dark Knight, all the way up until Batman says "I killed those people." It also bothered me that no one tried to appeal to Harvey's reasonable side, never saying "Blame the Joker instead of blaming the guys who tried to save your girlfriend." Up until that scene, the film was near perfect for me.)

Galactus
12-13-2014, 07:10 PM
Just like with the Next Mutation thread I have to say; didn't we get that this year?

We know the Dark Knight movies by Nolan where a source of inspiration for the movie and I'd say that's self evident in some of the shots they used and how some scenes had a very "realistic" feel. Likewise we know that Marvel movies specifically The Avengers where a big inspiration also and again you can see that in some of the of the movie.

It wouldn't surprise me if Rise of the Planet of the Apes was an inspiration also. Certainly the origin of the mutagen as a cure for a disease and using animals as test subjects was vaguely reminiscent of that movie. Add in the very clear influence/rip off of the third act of Amazing Spider-Man and it seems they really wanted to make TMNT like every other successful movie out today.

Y'know what? This may not be a popular idea but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. I fully agree that Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is it's own very unique entity and should be treated as such but it's not like the turtles couldn't work tonally in the Nolan style or in the Marvel style or both at the same time like this movie tried to do after all the TMNT itself is a mix of several influences.

It would take a very skilled director and team behind them to do it which is where this movie failed. Just like creatively they used stuff from various versions (based on their research of looking at still images:roll:) without really understanding them I don't think Leibesman as director gets what it was about those movies that worked he just imitated their superficial aspects.

The scene in TMNT 2014 at the docks is reminiscent of the scene Batman Begins in the same setting and perfect for a scene to build up the characters mutual stealth abilities but then Leibesman has them tossing cargo containers.

Donatello's surveilance rig of all of the city is just like the sonar device in The Dark Knight except it makes sense for Wayne to not only build one but has the resources to do it but it's outlandish even by TMNT's standards for Don to have such a thing at that point in time. Seriously wouldn't that scene have been much better if the turtles had just seen a TV report of a hostage situation where the Foot are calling out the "vigilante" - that in itself would have been Nolan-esque but Leibesman just went for the kewel visual.

In Rise of the Planet of the Apes sympathy for Caesar is slowly built up via Bright Eyes so we actually care when he gets smuggled out of the lab but we don't really care for these for the turtles and Splinter in the lab...heck did we really care for them out of the lab?. Again Leibesman just went for the look with none of the heart.

I could go on but from my perspective we did get both a DK and POTA styled movie it just wasn't a good representation of those styles.

Commenter 42
12-13-2014, 09:41 PM
Donatello's surveilance rig of all of the city is just like the sonar device in The Dark Knight except it makes sense for Wayne to not only build one but has the resources to do it but it's outlandish even by TMNT's standards for Don to have such a thing at that point in time. Seriously wouldn't that scene have been much better if the turtles had just seen a TV report of a hostage situation where the Foot are calling out the "vigilante" - that in itself would have been Nolan-esque but Leibesman just went for the kewel visual.

I could go on but from my perspective we did get both a DK and POTA styled movie it just wasn't a good representation of those styles.

Maybe I'm alone in this, but little things like this, i could care less about, when the whole of the film is already so wrong.

could the tech donnie uses havebeen explained? maybe, but the movie wouldn't suddenly be better. maybe they don't throw shipping containers. Again, so what? It's still wrong, fundamentally from the ground up. The actors are wrong, the writiing is wrongt, the camera ****ing angles are wrong.

The origin is wrong, the designs are wrong the color temperature is wrong.

Their motivations are wrong, their relationships are wrong, the raison de etre is wrong.

Hell even physics in the film, is wrong.

so I'm sorry, but pointing to singular character beats and looking for improvement is like picking up a carton of milk from a landfill and putting it in the recycling box. It changes nothing.

sgtfbomb
12-14-2014, 04:37 AM
One thing this new TMNT film series could take from Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is how to properly portray a villain. In just a two minute scene, the bad guy, Koba, does far more to demonstrate how sadistic, menacing, and evil he is (in such a simplistic, somewhat underplayed way) than this new Shredder (and Eric Sachs) do in an entire film.

Granted, that's a dark scene and TMNT is now a Nickelodeon-produced film series, but this is 2014, going into 2015. The standard bad guy with generic motivations shaking his fist into the air just doesn't cut it anymore. The villain either needs to be menacing (Ledger's Joker, Koba, Winter Soldier, Arrow's Deathstroke) or he/she needs to be charismatic (Loki). Either way, the villain needs to be clever, even in a less serious and slightly lighter movie. (In comparison to TMNT '14, the Nick series' Shredder is legit, and the show is far more compelling despite not being "gritty") Otherwise, he might as be the bad guy for the next Jump Street comedy. :roll:

Leo656
12-14-2014, 01:09 PM
The guy (SHredder) was covered in giant knives, of course he was the bad guy. That's all the character development you need.

.....to hear some people tell it.

TheSkeletonMan939
12-14-2014, 01:20 PM
It looks like people want a dark and gritty reboot of the turtles (I assume that's why The Dark Knight and Planet of the Apes are cited as models to follow); I worry that people confuse the words "realistic" and "dark" with each other. For example, Mr. Bean's Holiday is a realistic film, but not a dark one.

A realistic film has believable characters with many layers and motives, not just static "Mikey is funny so he always has to makes jokes and never be serious" sort of stuff.

A dark film is really gritty, lots of violence and cussing and whatnot. A dark film can be realistic, but the two do not mean the same thing.

I for one want a realistic TMNT film, not necessarily a dark one. I want the turtles to feel human, feel like normal people. Hell, one of the emotions they feel could be is that they don't feel human at all, and that would make them more human. I want to feel like the turtles care for each other, and interact believably with their human friends, not just simply acknowledge that each other exist and that be that.

TigerClaw
12-14-2014, 01:24 PM
It looks like people want a dark and gritty reboot of the turtles (I assume that's why The Dark Knight and Planet of the Apes are cited as models to follow); I worry that people confuse the words "realistic" and "dark" with each other. For example, Mr. Bean's Holiday is a realistic film, but not a dark one.

A realistic film has believable characters with many layers and motives, not just static "Mikey is funny so he always has to makes jokes and never be serious" sort of stuff.

A dark film is really gritty, lots of violence and cussing and whatnot. A dark film can be realistic, but the two do not mean the same thing.

I for one want a realistic TMNT film, not necessarily a dark one. I want the turtles to feel human, feel like normal people. Hell, one of the emotions they feel could be is that they don't feel human at all, and that would make them more human. I want to feel like the turtles care for each other, and interact believably with their human friends, not just simply acknowledge that each other exist and that be that.

That will never happen as long as Nickelodeon owns TMNT, They will never want a dark TMNT movie, Since its gotta be kids friendly.

Leo656
12-14-2014, 01:42 PM
Not everybody agreed that Nick buying TMNT was what was best for the property, either. For some fans, that news was less of a celebration and more like a funeral. Not hard to see where they're coming from. In their eyes, the franchise is now forever locked in a kids' toy box, only free to grow and expand to its full potential in the minds of people writing (sometimes questionable) fanfiction.

It's like, yeah, we'll get some new stuff every few years, but as long as it's watered-down for 5-year-olds, it's tough to get excited about it anymore. There's plenty of room to debate about whether or not the franchise "going corporate" was a good or bad thing. I mean, sounds silly on the surface - "How Can More TMNT Ever Be A Bad Thing?" - but if it's all just for snot-pickers then who even gives a sh*t anymore? Why would anyone outside that age bracket even like it anymore? It's a problem Nick will have to address one day when the current phase of popularity starts to wane. We'll see if they'll be willing to let the franchise get a little more "grown-up" once the money slows down, or if the next few movies don't do so well.

I don't even think going "dark" is necessary, nor is trying to be overly "real". Just don't make a piece of sh*t, it's really not hard. There was so much more wrong with the new movie beyond just the tone. That was a problem, but there were a lot of other ones. They could have made a "goofy" movie and it wouldn't have been a big deal if they had actually done anything good with it.

Commenter 42
12-14-2014, 04:24 PM

I'm not confusing the terms. TMNT was a parody. The joy of the franchise is embedded in that idea, but has expanded into its own thing over the years. It's a revenege tale, it's gray morality, it's emblematic of the sort of hero tales popular at it's inception. The joke is that it became popular in-spite of itself.

Today, the trend is to go big, and go dark. To be the proper parody that it was intended to be, it needs to emulate the trends. Image turtles were a response to the trend of hyper violent comics of the 90's. A turtles movie should reflect the trends of today.

But please, can we retire the word gritty back to the 8th isle of the hardware store, with the sandpaper, where it belongs. it means nothing. unless you're describing the grain in the film stock, a gravel road, or food you dropped on the floor, but still ate.

sgtfbomb
12-14-2014, 06:05 PM
I mean, I could go either way. I would love a "dark" TMNT movie and I would love a "light" TMNT. I would even love a TMNT that is a little bit of both. As long it's done right. Doesn't matter what the intentions are, if the filmmakers (and budding-in studios) make half-ass decisions ("it's an action movie, no one cares"), cast any actor who'll say "yes" whether or not they fit the part or have on-screen charisma, occupy the film with unintentionally unintelligent characters, etc, the movie will suffer for it.

There is a silver lining, though. At least Sony Pictures isn't involved in the making of these films.....

SparkFlash
12-15-2014, 04:10 PM
I personally would love it. Something realistic as much as possible and with a grittier feel. But as mentioned, I highly doubt it would ever fly. The audience base just wouldn't be able to carry that.

Bloodsucker
12-15-2014, 05:08 PM
Imagine TMNT done by George Miller. I could cry.

YWNWi-ZWL3c

Commenter 42
12-16-2014, 06:17 AM
Imagine TMNT done by George Miller. I could cry.

YWNWi-ZWL3c

That film looks Great. Good call.

Ville Leskinen
12-16-2014, 06:37 AM
The new Mad Max looks horrible! Hollywood will never get it right...

What i'd like to see is a turtle movie set in 1984. Just look at what state lower east side, Brooklyn and Bronx were at the time! If that's not gritty, then I don't know what is. The rise of the hip hop, the yuppies and gang violence. An ideal setting for a Mirage based TMNT film? ;)

Commenter 42
12-16-2014, 06:53 AM
The new Mad Max looks horrible! Hollywood will never get it right...

What i'd like to see is a turtle movie set in 1984. Just look at what state lower east side, Brooklyn and Bronx were at the time! If that's not gritty, then I don't know what is. The rise of the hip hop, the yuppies and gang violence. An ideal setting for a Mirage based TMNT film? ;)

You're in the minority on that. The trailer looks great. I think you're the first person to say otherwise.

Anyway, yeah, TMNT should be set in 1984. Absolutely. The era is important to the story.

Ville Leskinen
12-16-2014, 07:01 AM
You're in the minority on that. The trailer looks great. I think you're the first person to say otherwise.

Mind you, I didn't really care for Thunderdome. Loved the first one. Road warrior was ok, though it didn't have the same low-budget feel as the original. So yeah, this looks like a horrible recashing of another 80's franchise but that's Hollywood. I wasn't expecting anything else. :lol:

Anyway, yeah, TMNT should be set in 1984. Absolutely. The era is important to the story.

Now who do we pitch this idea? :tgrin: I mean, just look at these photos:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevensiegel/sets/72157626376913418/page1

Coola Yagami
12-16-2014, 10:27 PM

Y'know... you kinda have a point. Something seems weird and off about having the TMNT running around in the modern iphone/internet era.

That's what kinda sucks about people with secret identities anymore. Superman never had to worry about some random guy taking a pic with his phone while he's changing in the phone booth, nor Spider-Man ever have to worry about the traffic light cam taking a random pic of him whenever he loses his mask in a fight. The more we keep adding all of these stalkery technologies, the more we really have to raise suspension of disbelief to believe someone can actually be Batman and not have the police and FBI busting down Wayne Manor within the month.

B-Man
12-16-2014, 10:50 PM
The trailers for the new Mad Max are so epic you can't help but forgive how Zack Snyder-ish a lot of it looks. Hardy is spot-on. Hope Theron doesn't hijack the whole thing.

Commenter 42
12-17-2014, 12:32 AM
The trailers for the new Mad Max are so epic you can't help but forgive how Zack Snyder-ish a lot of it looks. Hardy is spot-on. Hope Theron doesn't hijack the whole thing.

man, Zack Snyder-ish? lol...You do realize this is George Miller, returning to the films he created?

Zack Snyder likes things like this:
http://cdn.screenrant.com/wp-content/uploads/Man-of-Steel-General-Zod-and-Faora.jpg
http://cdn-media.hollywood.com/images/l/xerxesprequel.jpg

desaturated, almost black and white or sepia with bad green screen.

this trailer looks much more vibrant, and the stunts look real:

http://www.portlandmercury.com/binary/8fb2/1418240121-screen_shot_2014-12-10_at_11.34.55_am.png
http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--9Oi0ssOG--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/spzf00v22ivxl6jolvbq.png
The production design overall is superior to Snyders cheap looking films.

B-Man
12-17-2014, 03:01 AM
Fair enough but there is a LOT of crazy cg at the end of that new trailer. When you watch the car stunts in The Road Warrior, you're like "how the f*ck did no-one get killed making this???". You got the feeling they were being super reckless, risking their lives & getting insane footage all done for real. This looks like a comic book. Still stoked for it, though.

Commenter 42
12-17-2014, 05:37 AM
Fair enough but there is a LOT of crazy cg at the end of that new trailer. When you watch the car stunts in The Road Warrior, you're like "how the f*ck did no-one get killed making this???". You got the feeling they were being super reckless, risking their lives & getting insane footage all done for real. This looks like a comic book. Still stoked for it, though.

Hey, if you're willing to give tmnt a thumbs up :P :lol:
But seriously, I particularly like the color of the trailer, vibrant and crazy.

It's definitely a little too CG at the end, but hopefully Miller kept that to a minimum.

Either way, I'm not looking forward to much next year, so at least there's this.

B-Man
12-18-2014, 10:14 PM
Either way, I'm not looking forward to much next year, so at least there's this.

Yeah, next year kinda blows for those of us who aren't that fussed about Star Wars & Avengers. Only ones I'm excited for are...

- Jon Favreau's new live-action The Jungle Book.
- Jurassic World (though I was a lot more excited before that trailer).
- Mad Max: Fury Road.
- The Hateful Eight.

Ant Man, Furious 7, Kingsman, Terminator: Genysis, Spectre, Mission Impossible V, The Fantastic Four, Avengers & Star Wars are all stuff I'll see but aren't like COUNTING DOWN THE DAYS for. 2016 on the other hand...

- Batman v Superman.
- TMNT II.
- War Of The Planet Of The Apes.
- Deadpool.
- Ghostbusters reboot (though this is shaping up horribly thus far).
- Goosebumps.
- Mighty Morphin Power Rangers reboot.
- The Suicide Squad.
- Independence Day sequel.
- Shane Black's The Nice Guys.
- Warcraft.

Stoked.

samxsteal
12-18-2014, 11:43 PM
Yeah, next year kinda blows for those of us who aren't that fussed about Star Wars & Avengers. Only ones I'm excited for are...

- Jon Favreau's new live-action The Jungle Book.
- Jurassic World (though I was a lot more excited before that trailer).
- Mad Max: Fury Road.
- The Hateful Eight.

Ant Man, Furious 7, Kingsman, Terminator: Genysis, Spectre, Mission Impossible V, The Fantastic Four, Avengers & Star Wars are all stuff I'll see but aren't like COUNTING DOWN THE DAYS for. 2016 on the other hand...

- Batman v Superman.
- TMNT II.
- War Of The Planet Of The Apes.
- Deadpool.
- Ghostbusters reboot (though this is shaping up horribly thus far).
- Goosebumps.
- Mighty Morphin Power Rangers reboot.
- The Suicide Squad.
- Independence Day sequel.
- Shane Black's The Nice Guys.
- Warcraft.

Stoked.

Seriously Each year keeps getting better and better

Commenter 42
12-19-2014, 02:03 AM

Meh... just looked through the next two years, my list is a little shorter:

-Animal Farm
-Mad Max: Fury Road.
-War Of The Planet Of The Apes.
-Star Wars
-Avengers
-Chappie
-Ex Machina
-Monkey Kingdom

Sort of in that order, as far as excitement level goes.

kev trashcan
12-19-2014, 07:31 AM
I would really want to see a tmnt movie directed by guillermo del toro. it wouldn't have to be completely based on the original comics but really inspired by them. definitely have it set in 1984 and have the creature design team from hellboy working on it. I think he would do an awesome urban sci-fi/fantasy version that wouldn't even need to leave the sewers for the first movie. the mousers push the turtles deep into the sewer discovering the other mutants along the way or something and at the end realizing that baxter stockman's strings are being pulled by shredder, and then the reason for their training is reviled. think about how awesome his version of splinter would be too.

also it would have been great if david cronenberg had made a tmnt movie back in the 80's. staying true to the comics but adding a level of body horror on the account of mutation.