PDA

View Full Version : Would people have been happy with an OT movie?

Panda_Kahn_fan
12-14-2014, 09:37 AM
In all of this INSANITY and movie contreversy, there is something I just wanted to ask; would most people here have been happier with an OT adaptation of the season one miniseries than what we got? I've always wanted to see a Fred Wolf flick with a more serious edge, and I think it would've been better than what we got! That first miniseries, with of story teaks for character development and pacing, would've made an awesome summer blockbuster film!

A timeless new York with an 80's feel (much like the timeless feel they gave Gotham in Batman: the animated series) Where reporter April O'Neal gets too close to uncovering the foot with her stories, the purple dragons go after her under shredder's orders. The turltes rescue her, and a mutated Hamato Yoshi tells her thier story. We then launch into Rocksteady and Bebop, the technodrome, and saving New York from an army of foot soliders right under thier feet? Save the Neutrinoes and Baxter for the sequels, and only hint that krang is supplying shredder with his tech from Dimension X. Would that have made a lot of you happy?

snake
12-14-2014, 09:45 AM
Retty much the first movie with the Technodrome and B&R? That would've been cool, but I don't want an OT feel to it.

DarkFell
12-14-2014, 10:20 AM
Judging from the posts that I have been reading, I am gonna take a risk and just say that bay turtles wouldn't have spurned so much agitation if the characters were designed better and that the scriptwriting was handled better. An OT feel to the movie is a neat idea but not necessary.

turtlefanforever
12-14-2014, 12:12 PM
woulda been happy with pretty much anything besides what we got after watching that piece of crap

TigerClaw
12-14-2014, 12:27 PM
In all of this INSANITY and movie contreversy, there is something I just wanted to ask; would most people here have been happier with an OT adaptation of the season one miniseries than what we got? I've always wanted to see a Fred Wolf flick with a more serious edge, and I think it would've been better than what we got! That first miniseries, with of story teaks for character development and pacing, would've made an awesome summer blockbuster film!

A timeless new York with an 80's feel (much like the timeless feel they gave Gotham in Batman: the animated series) Where reporter April O'Neal gets too close to uncovering the foot with her stories, the purple dragons go after her under shredder's orders. The turltes rescue her, and a mutated Hamato Yoshi tells her thier story. We then launch into Rocksteady and Bebop, the technodrome, and saving New York from an army of foot soliders right under thier feet? Save the Neutrinoes and Baxter for the sequels, and only hint that krang is supplying shredder with his tech from Dimension X. Would that have made a lot of you happy?
I dont know if a TMNT movie taking place in the 80s would work for today's audience, all the young kids would not like seeing all the retro 80s stuff.

However, It does bring an interesting point because, The recent X-Men movies took place the past, One in the 60s, the other in the 70s, And that trend will continue when the 3rd film in that series takes place right in the 80s.

But still a TMNT movie set in the 80s will not go over well with this generation of kids.

pdizzle
12-14-2014, 01:38 PM
Your idea would have been cool and something I would have liked to see with the exception of it having an 80s feel to it. The first season of the ot is something ive always wanted to see redone......and this might be way off topic but it seems every turtle movie forgets the title NINJA turtles and has never capitalized on the martial arts aspect of them, and thats something that really bothers me about all of them, and even tho the first one has came the closest to it, it still fell far off from what they could do with it even in the early 90s. Instead, we get action scenes like the avalanche hill scene, wich was still good even in a turtles movie but for god sakes why the hell does every last turtle movie forget about the ninja aspect of the turtles. The 2k3 series is by far the closest thing thats capitalized on this throughout the entire history of turtles on tv and this really bothers me....anyway sorry for going so far away from the subject, just wanted to throw that out there.....

Leo656
12-14-2014, 02:28 PM
I don't understand why some people think everything needs to be or should be aimed at kids, when they're not the ones who spend money on this stuff and it's their parents who both pay the money AND have to suffer through this stuff by extension. Kids are F'n stupid, and nothing should be "aimed at" or "targeted towards" them. Just make something good, and it will be successful, and usually with many more people than you expect. Movies, TV shows, music, video games... when your mission statement begins with, "So we're aiming for kids," you're already well on your way to making a piece of sh*t.

And yet, there's tons of "all-ages" stuff that exists that sure looks like it would be best for kids, yet is appreciated by everyone. It's... not hard to do that. Anyone who says, "This is for kids, so lower your standards" is an enabler. Stop being part of the problem, Nitz.

Anyways, to the topic, I don't honestly know. If most of the movie was the same but at least if it was completely based on the OT, instead of just a little bit, then it would still be a farce but nobody would be expecting anything different. With the movie we got, we were lied to repeatedly about how "realistic" and "edgy" it was going to be, and you have to think that at least some people fell for it and thus their disappointment. I mean *I* knew they were full of sh*t but I know better than most people in general.

I don't know how I'd feel, personally, because I'm not a huge fan of the OT anymore, but I gotta figure at least by being more familiar that some people would have dug it more. I mean, it probably wouldn't have been any worse. It probably would've been better, I'unno. I'd be more inclined to see it but that's not to promise I'd enjoy it more.

neatoman
12-14-2014, 02:30 PM
You mean the whole "Shredder and Krang in the Technodrome wanting to mess with the turtles in silly ways with Bebop and Rocksteady" thing? I guess it would have satisfied the fans of the FW cartoon, but I think any newcomers would just see it as kind of lame or outdated and TMNT fans who don't like the FW cartoon would just get pissed off.

The Platinum Dunes movie is however, as close to the FW cartoon as a modern movie could be honestly. The absolute closest to the FW cartoon we have though is Secret of the Ooze, if Shredder was just a bit goofier and if it had the Technodrome related stuff then Secret of the Ooze would have been spot on.

As for me, I suppose it's no impossible to make a good movie that's extremely faithful to the FW cartoon but it's not what I would want, and I pretty much think think the movie would just end up seeming like it was made way too late regardless of quality. The FW was way too much a product of it's time to make a faithful adaptation of here and now.

Powder
12-14-2014, 05:41 PM
woulda been happy with pretty much anything besides what we got after watching that piece of crap

Haha, this.

But in all seriousness, sure, people would be happy with that. I mean, it's the most popular version, & when people complain about any other TMNT series, it's because of differences between them. While it wouldn't be my preferred vision (as most know I'm into the comics more than anything) I'm sure it would be awesome if done right. Goofy as aspects of it are, the first season is pretty serious at times, plot driven, action packed, & there's a lot of variety. Robots, mutants, traditional martial arts themes, a bit of everything. Maybe shave off the Neutrino part, though. Or, just turn the first 5 episodes into 3 separate movies where Shredder is built up gradually & each of the villains gets their time to shine as the antagonist.

However the best thing I think they could do would be what the first movie did. Combine elements of the current cartoon (in this case the Nick series) with stories & artistic elements of the original comics. Kids relate to it, adults find it cool, all the generations recognize something, blah blah blah.

Commenter 42
12-14-2014, 07:07 PM
I dont know if a TMNT movie taking place in the 80s would work for today's audience, all the young kids would not like seeing all the retro 80s stuff.

But still a TMNT movie set in the 80s will not go over well with this generation of kids.

Wow. How would you know? Sorry man, but TMNT is NOT only about the kids.
it would have done HUGE business, because the adults would have packed in.

You couldn't be more wrong.

Shark_Blade
12-14-2014, 07:14 PM
I would. But I'm still happy with what we've got for 2k14 movie. :D

I watched it 8 times at the theater lol, that's quite a feat. :tlove:

TurtleTitan97
12-14-2014, 07:45 PM
Not really, no. Ideally, the perfect TMNT movie for me would something that would've combined the best elements of the franchise so far.

Then again, I'd be happy if we got anything better than what we ended up with instead.

Davetello
12-14-2014, 08:40 PM
They should forget films and get on television. TV is the place to be now - quality of TV is rising while quality of film goes down the drain. Look at shows like "True Detective" - even some Hollywood actors are interested in doing a season of television.

CyberCubed
12-14-2014, 08:49 PM
I would have preferred anything over the movie we got.

Shark_Blade
12-14-2014, 08:51 PM
TV is hindered by rating, like honestly not many people sit on their asses all day watching tv according to its time slots (I know I don't).

Davetello
12-14-2014, 08:57 PM
TV is hindered by rating, like honestly not many people sit on their asses all day watching tv according to its time slots (I know I don't).

It's the internet era, few people (relatively speaking) watch television as it airs. It's all about streaming & downloading.

Besides, you're thinking of network TV. The place I wanna see the TMNT is HBO or Netflix - places where anything goes and there are no ratings. It's a pipe dream but lemme have it - I don't get much release these days :)

Shark_Blade
12-14-2014, 09:00 PM
Yeah I kinda wish it's on Netflix, much easier to enjoy.

Davetello
12-14-2014, 09:04 PM
Yeah I kinda wish it's on Netflix, much easier to enjoy.

Imagine a season of thirteen hour long episodes being released all at once on Netflix a la what they're doing with Daredevil in May. Imagine it having a high budget, high production values, great character development, being no holds barred, and basically being something similar to "The Sopranos" in a ninja setting. Full of clandestine organisations, murder, conspiracy, vengeance, lust, familial themes. Imagine it adapting Mirage from issue 1 until Shredder's decapitation, and then season 2 dealing with the fallout and City At War.

Tell me you wouldn't get excited about that.

IndigoErth
12-14-2014, 11:34 PM
Would people have been happy with an OT movie?
Eh, maybe for tv. I mean, things could be updated to where it doesn't smell of 'retro,' but, eh. Been there, done that. Really I wish new movies would just go ahead and come up with their own well made original stories as a continuation instead of feeling the need to abuse and corrupt what's already established. Might make it at least a tiny bit easier on these film makers and fans alike.

Imagine a season of thirteen hour long episodes being released all at once on Netflix a la what they're doing with Daredevil in May. Imagine it having a high budget, high production values, great character development, being no holds barred, and basically being something similar to "The Sopranos" in a ninja setting. Full of clandestine organisations, murder, conspiracy, vengeance, lust, familial themes. Imagine it adapting Mirage from issue 1 until Shredder's decapitation, and then season 2 dealing with the fallout and City At War.

Tell me you wouldn't get excited about that.
Would be one pretty cool show. :tthumbsu:

I just don't know if I could make the episodes, if given all at once, last long enough. I've got good self control and ability to resist, but that... I just don't know. :lol: I'd hate to binge watch it all only to find out more wouldn't happen for a year. lol

Davetello
12-14-2014, 11:36 PM
Eh, maybe for tv. I mean, things could be updated to where it doesn't smell of 'retro,' but, eh. Been there, done that. Really I wish new movies would just go ahead and come up with their own well made original stories as a continuation instead of feeling the need to abuse and corrupt what's already established. Might make it at least a tiny bit easier on these film makers and fans alike.

Would be one pretty cool show. :tthumbsu:

I just don't know if I could make the episodes, if given all at once, last long enough. I've got good self control and ability to resist, but that... I just don't know. :lol: I'd hate to binge watch it all only to find out more wouldn't happen for a year. lol

That's true. But let's be honest - most of us would love to watch it over and over again. We'd never get bored if it was genuinely brilliant :)

IndigoErth
12-14-2014, 11:52 PM
True, and if it was that good it could be like watching one super long movie. :)

Davetello
12-14-2014, 11:55 PM
Precisely. It's basically what I will be doing with Daredevil come next year.

Netflix is perfect because it can present its shows as one super long movie - they don't need cliffhangers to maintain interest for next week, since the next ep is only a click away.

Brooke507
12-15-2014, 12:45 AM
I would love to see an OT movie.

Panda_Kahn_fan
12-15-2014, 01:13 PM
Guys, I never said set the movie in the 80's I said a TIMELESS feel, like batman the animated series, with a slight 80's 'feel' to it, like batman:TAS had a 30-40's feel to it's gotham city.

The Boston Ninja Turtle
12-15-2014, 01:30 PM
For me no

I dont want a movie Based on the OT,2K3,.2K12,NTM or a certain comic series

i want a well written and directed movie that takes elements from Past TMNT incarnations and puts them into one story

Kinda like TMNT has been doing for years...each version borrows from past one whether its turtles personality traits (Leo's honor, Dons brains, Raph anger, Mike Goofy nature),Different shades of green, or the Colored bandannas

The turtles should feel human, and have human element not look like green painted humans with shells

pferreira
01-15-2015, 08:35 AM
I would love to see a live action OT but not as a film. I would love to see it adapted into a live action TV series with writers adapting the original scripts into longer episodes. Characters and plot ideas could be expanded with the live action 45 minute format. It's possible to do although they'd have to work out budget wise how to save money on one episode and spend on others.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
01-30-2015, 01:01 PM

Who cares? If there can be books, comics, films, musicals, operas, stageplays, TV series, video games or whatever set in the American Old West of the 19th century, Middle Ages, Ancient Roman Empire, the days of apemen or even the Dinosaur era millions of years BC when no humans were around on Earth, we can at least ask for the film being set in the late 1980's-early 1990's (if we don't want the turtles to be older). :)

The Boston Ninja Turtle
01-30-2015, 01:23 PM

and why does it have to be made for kids

why cant it just be a movie with kid friendly content...i mean hell even if it was rated R parents would still take kids to it just cause its TMNT

IndigoErth
01-30-2015, 02:24 PM
Well kids today need to suck it up a bit then. :P My generation grew up just fine watching things like Scooby-Doo, of which I was in later years shocked to find out it was a decade older than I was, and it has movies based on it. (Granted I can't verify if those movies are good, but they exist and more than one.) If spoiled kids of today need to be catered to in just such a way, then it's time to broaden their view and enjoyment of the world. Or at least the entertainment industry. Otherwise it's just an excuse using kids to justify it or encouragement to children to be very narrow in their likes/enjoyment/tolerance of what they view.

The Boston Ninja Turtle
01-30-2015, 03:05 PM
well said

its funny today we have very very strict..Adult and Kids cartoons

but i remember growing up watching shows that if you look at today where not originally meant for children..sure they had some ok content but at the core they were written for adults

shows like Looney tunes.Scooby,tom and Jerry, even old school Disney, The Muppet show where all adult targeted shows that just happened to be okay for kids to watch too