PDA

View Full Version : TMNT 1990: Fave little moments

B-Man
12-20-2014, 04:55 AM
Mine...

- The cold opening. No credits. Just straight into it. Completely serious. Doesn't appear to be a Ninja Turtles movie, which is the genius of it.

- The title displayed with the same logo as the cartoon series.

- Their Bruce Lee-yelps.

- Splinter turning Raph's face towards him. Might be my favourite moment in the movie. The whole scene is touching.

- "Radical, radical, radical, radical..."

- Wide shot of The Foot closing in on Raph & you realize how truly screwed he is.

- "He'll probably be back any min"-*CRASH*. A kids film that puts one of it's lead characters through a skylight. I miss the 90's.

- April's drawing of Leo. I always wanted my own copy of it, so I screencapped it/printed it/put it in a frame :tsmile:.

- Casey cutting vegetables with a sword.

- The quick shot of Leo bashing through the door to tell the others about his vision of Splinter.

- Mikey crying & Donnie's reaction, like he's never seen this happen before.

- The shot of them standing with sun going down behind them.

- "This guy knows where Splinter is." (aka. "let's get the c*nt.")

BubblyShell22
12-20-2014, 08:05 AM
When Leo's meditating and sees Splinter. Has to be one of my fave moments ever.

The "Tequila" dance scene is another one.

DarkLightDragon
12-20-2014, 08:10 AM
The sound effect that plays whenever Mikey perks up upon hearing the word, "pizza."

blindturtle02
12-20-2014, 08:13 AM
I love the fight between the turtles and Shredder. The meditation scene was great too. It's difficult for me to pick a favorite moment, but this is a start. At least I narrowed them down to two.

BubblyShell22
12-20-2014, 08:24 AM
Yep, the campfire scene and the fight with Shredder were also good moments. Oh, and Raph's intro to Casey Jones.

The Boston Ninja Turtle
12-20-2014, 12:35 PM
That final battle starting with the foot all the way to shredder

showing that those suits really have no limitation, only the limits the actors put on it

Candy Kappa
12-20-2014, 12:48 PM
^^^This, those suits where amazing, not only by looks but also by mobility. we wouldn't see Burton Batman do those movies :lol:

IndigoErth
12-20-2014, 01:02 PM
I lot has been mentioned and pretty much love the whole thing so hard to pick out pieces. Do love when they're at April's place. And when they leave and she closes the door it's easy to think she's trying to wrap her head around the weirdest day of her life. lol

DarkFell
12-20-2014, 01:41 PM
Ralph standing outside and viewing the cityscape before he gets ambushed by the Foot. Loved seeing all of that from the buildings to the nicks and scratches on Raphael's shell and his bandana twitching in the wind.

Also loved the first meeting between Splinter, April, and the Turtles.

Leo656
12-20-2014, 02:01 PM
Too, too many.

It's actually the "little things" that make that such an awesome movie, and overcome the stuff people cite as "cheesy" or "dated".

B-Man
12-20-2014, 04:20 PM
I lot has been mentioned and pretty much love the whole thing so hard to pick out pieces. Do love when they're at April's place. And when they leave and she closes the door it's easy to think she's trying to wrap her head around the weirdest day of her life. lol

YES. can't believe I forgot this.

Mellie
12-20-2014, 04:32 PM
I love just about everything in this movie.

I adore little rat Splinter in his cage mimicking his master's moves. :lol:

Cure
12-20-2014, 04:40 PM
The way Casey jumps when Leo clears his throat. He gets mad at them for always sneaking up on him. Neat little thing that implies they're good ninjas.

Commenter 42
12-20-2014, 04:41 PM
Our introduction to the foot's recruiting practices, with the long pan around their "club". It's clearly referncing other older films, but it's cut so well, great pace and timing, great song, everything.

I feel like that's one of the stand out moments for me, aside from all the obvious ones mentioned by B-man. Most of the film, actually. So many good moments.

The only thing that too me out of the movie, was Judith Hoag. I know many here love her, and her acting is great, but she just seems too, well, b*tchy. I mean, b*tchy can be good, in some scenarios, but it's the one thing that put me off. Then there's the issue of Danny, and Danny's dad, and even Chief Sterns. Danny's storyline could be cut, and it really would be a better film. I'd rather we'd spent more time anywhere else.

Leo656
12-20-2014, 04:49 PM
Eh, I liked it. I think he was an analog for other troubled teens who maybe were feeling ostracized when they saw this movie, who maybe were on the brink, and Danny's character is there to show them you don't HAVE to go down that road. You can pull back from the edge.

And with such a strong theme being made about "family", it's important that we see a human counter-point to the "surrogate family" of the Turtles/Splinter/April/Casey. To wit: The "normal" family who are biologically related are fractured and struggling while the "freakshow" surrogate family are close-knit and share a tight bond.

I think the film's pacing might've maybe been tighter without it but I think it's important to the film's message nonetheless. I'd like to see more Turtles, too, but I'd have given the movie another half hour before I cut anything.

Commenter 42
12-20-2014, 05:36 PM
Eh, I liked it. I think he was an analog for other troubled teens who maybe were feeling ostracized when they saw this movie, who maybe were on the brink, and Danny's character is there to show them you don't HAVE to go down that road. You can pull back from the edge.

And with such a strong theme being made about "family", it's important that we see a human counter-point to the "surrogate family" of the Turtles/Splinter/April/Casey. To wit: The "normal" family who are biologically related are fractured and struggling while the "freakshow" surrogate family are close-knit and share a tight bond.

I think the film's pacing might've maybe been tighter without it but I think it's important to the film's message nonetheless. I'd like to see more Turtles, too, but I'd have given the movie another half hour before I cut anything.

Oh, it's not the storyline itself that I have issue with, it's the way that storyline was committed to film. It felt forced at times, not natural. In the same way that his actions are normal and natural, The way those actions were carried out were over the top.

I was like that kid, and I'm sure many of us were. When I say cut, it's cutting what they shot, not what might have been shot, or what it represents.

But that's a MINOR point. Y'know, a MINOR issue. Very MINOR.

MINOR.

Donnieangelo
12-22-2014, 12:40 PM
- Mikey crying & Donnie's reaction, like he's never seen this happen before.
Mikey also touches Don's cheek sometime when the scene starts to fade out.

Dang, I like those two!

Purse Grabbin Puke
12-22-2014, 01:05 PM
Where's Splinter?

Ah the RAT...so it has a name.....It HAD a name...

YOU LIE!

Might be my favorite part of the whole movie.

Donnieangelo
12-22-2014, 01:10 PM
Where's Splinter?

Ah the RAT...so it has a name.....It HAD a name...

YOU LIE!

Might be my favorite part of the whole movie.
Shredder: Do I?

BubblyShell22
12-22-2014, 03:22 PM
Yep that dialogue between Leo and Shredder was awesome.

DarkFell
12-22-2014, 03:30 PM
"What..family? Did I hear that right? Family? You call all this..and that down there..family?"

Loved hearing Casey being a smart a**.

Purse Grabbin Puke
12-22-2014, 03:31 PM
So many great little things about it....

You're a claustrophobic!

YOU WANT A FIST IN THE MOUTH?!

UH UH

I've never even LOOKED at another guy....

BubblyShell22
12-22-2014, 03:42 PM
Splinter's conversation with Danny was another memorable moment for me.

B-Man
12-22-2014, 04:51 PM
Splinter's conversation with Danny was another memorable moment for me.

Only thing I didn't like about that scene is Danny's blasť reaction to a TALKING RAT TALKING TO HIM. He goes "Oh, you can talk" and then starts debating him :lol:

Leo656
12-22-2014, 06:23 PM
Here's my problem with people thinking there'd be a huge shocked/horrified reaction to anyone seeing the Turtles or Splinter, or seeing they can talk:

It's New York. :lol: Those people see weirder sh*t than giant talking rats and turtles on the subway ride to work every morning. I've spent more time there than I care to remember, and nothing phases those people. Splinter and the Turtles being exposed would be the biggest "Who Cares?" ever. I was watching SotO on TV the other day, and that scene where Tokka and Rahzar are ripping up the city and the lady is like, "Let them get their own cab"? That's actually hilarious, because that's pretty much how it would be. :lol:

I'm sure a kid like Danny wouldn't be all that shook. He's seen much weirder stuff than that by his age.

DarkFell
12-22-2014, 06:36 PM
He sure was shocked when he saw that reflection of Mikey wave at him in the mirror when they were April's apartment. Maybe that desensitized him when he met Splinter.

Leo656
12-22-2014, 06:40 PM
Well it's not entirely something you initially expect to see, especially in that setting. Anybody'd do a double-take at first glance.

But actually all that stuff in the apartment where they're trying to hide was among my favorite little things, as it was a good way to show off their non-combative ninja skills, like sneaking and hiding etc.

Jester
12-22-2014, 06:42 PM
SPLINTER!!
*Raph holds his brother back from embracing their father, because the Shredder still needs to be dealt with.

sgtfbomb
12-22-2014, 06:47 PM
I've always loved the cutaway from the "I'll never call gulf a dull game again!" to the "show off!" moment at the sewer fight.

Jester
12-22-2014, 06:49 PM
"All Fathers care for their Sons..."
*fade to Northampton.

B-Man
12-22-2014, 06:59 PM
I'm sure a kid like Danny wouldn't be all that shook. He's seen much weirder stuff than that by his age.

What a load of sh*t lol

"All Fathers care for their Sons..."
*fade to Northampton.

Beautiful. And John DuPrez's score is criminally overlooked. It really should've got it's own album release.

Jester
12-22-2014, 07:03 PM
Beautiful. And John DuPrez's score is criminally overlooked. It really should've got it's own album release.
I'd buy it. I know a fan tried to split the score from the 5.1 surround version of the movie....but you can totally hear a very muffled dialogue in the back ground. I'm sure it's buried on the forums SOMEWHERE.

Leo656
12-22-2014, 07:04 PM
What a load of sh*t lol

Sez you buddy. Us Northeastern cats don't scare. They had Godzilla attack the West Coast in the new movie because if he tried that sh*t over here, all the people from New York would just tell him to go F*ck himself. And down here in Jersey he could never get past the 3pm turnpike traffic.

We're a rough bunch up here, is basically my point. Giant mutant animals? Feh.

sgtfbomb
12-22-2014, 07:13 PM
And John DuPrez's score is criminally overlooked. It really should've got it's own album release.

This would be a perfect score for La La Land Records to release. It's right up their alley, but I wonder if the original master tapes still exist. That seems to be a big problem holding up a lot of good scores getting released.

B-Man
12-22-2014, 07:25 PM
Yeah it seems pretty dead & buried at this point. But we didn't expect to get a documentary full of vintage footage, so who knows...
Also, didn't a producer or someone say months ago that a new cut of the movie was assembled & ready for Blu-Ray/DVD, they just needed a distributor?

nylemon
12-23-2014, 12:48 AM
background garbageman:D

DarkFell
12-23-2014, 12:57 AM
background garbageman:D
This be the clip?
NyLjS6xOJYw

BubblyShell22
12-23-2014, 03:13 PM
I agree with Leo that Danny probably wouldn't be surprised by Splinter anyway. After all, he's part of the Foot and they obviously knew Shredder had captured Splinter and was holding him hostage. Danny was more curious about Splinter than scared, and it makes sense.

Davetello
12-23-2014, 03:20 PM
The camp fire scene. Gets me every time.

Also love when Donnie goes to sweep Shredder's leg in the fight, and Shredder reads it then takes him out. Then, right after that, Raph lunging at Shredder with reckless abandon despite the fact he's covered in blades :lol:

BubblyShell22
12-23-2014, 03:24 PM
Yeah, definitely the campfire scene and how Mikey and Raph are crying at the end. Hope we get something like this in the Nick cartoon, too.

Davetello
12-23-2014, 03:25 PM
It's the sort of scene you can view dozens of times consecutively.

Myko
12-23-2014, 05:55 PM
I'm really amazed how many different scenes and character moments they were able to get into this film, 'cause the runtime isn't *that* long. And it doesn't feel too fast-paced either. It's just really well scripted and edited.

Purse Grabbin Puke
12-23-2014, 08:15 PM
I'm really amazed how many different scenes and character moments they were able to get into this film, 'cause the runtime isn't *that* long. And it doesn't feel too fast-paced either. It's just really well scripted and edited.

The length of the movie is the only bad thing about it. I wish it was longer.

About Danny not being shocked by Splinter talking, he says "So you CAN talk" almost like he was hoping Splinter would talk. I mean he's a humanoid rat wearing clothes, and at this point he's pretty familiar with what's going on with the Turtles. Splinter talking isn't as big a shock as learning his father actually does care about him.

TechnoJerome
12-23-2014, 08:53 PM
SPLINTER!!
*Raph holds his brother back from embracing their father, because the Shredder still needs to be dealt with.

I never noticed that until now. I like those little subtle scenes that show that the brothers are close and tight knit. I also like the little quirks each Turtle has that displays their individual personalities. Like how Raphael almost always looks like he's about to drop an F bomb, that shows how hothead he is. Leo also always seems to have sort of a calm but observant look to him. Mikey always looks wide eyed and innocent, and Donnie looks like a smartass most of the time.

Brooke507
12-25-2014, 01:16 PM
All the Donatello moments!

massakre
12-26-2014, 06:41 AM
Casey and April fighting/arguing is awesome

Casey vs Tatsu scene, and the looks on the Foot's face when Casey and Splinter call them out afterwards is a good scene..

The way Mikey/Donnie hit it off--the pizza delivery in the beginning and the tortoise vs the rabbit of course..

CowabungaMikey
12-28-2014, 08:44 AM
The confrontation between Raph and Casey is my favourite.

''Cricket? Nobody understands cricket!''

DarkLightDragon
12-28-2014, 09:19 AM
"You need to know what a 'crumpet' is to know 'cricket!'"

I don't think I even need to know sports term ology to find enjoyment out of this banter.

bushido
12-28-2014, 10:42 AM
I like the fact that the film is an allegory of the transition to adulthood. At the beginning when Splinter said to the turtles that one day he will be gone and they will have to fend for themselves, they show immaturity and prefer to have fun. After that, Donatello tries to raise the subject with Michelangelo while they wait for the pizza but he gets no answer. Later, at the campfire scene, when the turtles believe that Splinter is dead (Splinter's final words) they become adults and take their destiny.
This adds depth to the story and allows the characters to evolve psychologically. I also think it's a good idea to see the Foot Clan using young offenders as labor because it helps to anchor the film in a social context. The writers have really done a good job, without thinking that a young audience is necessarily stupid.

DonatelloDomeHead31
12-29-2014, 11:45 PM
Oh Man...the scenes I could recall that were my favorite...the list is endless but I can tone it down a bit:

1) Donatello's jokes...especially his conversation with Casey at the truck.

2) Mikey and Don as Leo and Raph are arguing: "Porkrind? Porkrind."

3) I was pleased with the fight scenes; even though critics said the movie was too dark...they actually used them well.

4) Casey sitting on the swing bench...it breaks...need I say more?

5) Raph's attitude changes in the movie. I didn't like his sarcasm/attitude before, but later after he awakes from his knockout...he's like the 80s Raphael (Cartoon series).

BubblyShell22
12-31-2014, 04:16 PM
Yep, also forgot to mention the Tortoise and the Hare part. "Just ninja kick the damn rabbit!"

Mandy Chan
12-31-2014, 05:32 PM
Any scenes with Mikey... The loveable goofball always makes me smile

D Piddy 1982
01-21-2015, 06:47 AM
My 2 favourite bits from this movie that I have recited continually since I saw the movie then memorized them are:

"What the heck was that?!"
"Looked like kinda...big toitle in a trench coat. You going to La Guardia, right?"

And...

"She called meeee Mikey!....Hmmmmhhhm" Then Donny makes strange jealous noises at Mikey.

Don't know why, but those 2 are embedded in my brain.

Bry
01-21-2015, 07:41 AM
Too, too many.

It's actually the "little things" that make that such an awesome movie, and overcome the stuff people cite as "cheesy" or "dated".

^
Yep, this, this right here.

Covered a bit already... but if I had to pick a single favourite, I've gotta go with this:

EgmXewamiiY

Before the pizza guy actually shows up (though that's a good, funny moment itself), but this is one of my all-time favourite Michelangelo moments, because I've always read it as Mikey just not being able to deal with the idea of Splinter being gone. He feels as much as anyone else, but his fun-loving jokester persona is as much a defense mechanism as it is his real self. His dismissiveness here, followed later by that shot of tears streaming down his face in the campfire scene (where he seems to be the most emotionally affected of the four, like he's finally letting out the emotions he's been avoiding), really sold that - at the 1:50 mark here:

B1QiehoSCHs

Like, that legitimately chokes me up every time. And I'm 31 years old. :lol:

I've always liked how they handled that. Mikey's my favourite of the four, and that's mostly because of his light-hearted, funny, optimistic nature. But I also want him to be a deeper character than that, and these moments gave him that kind of balance in a pretty subtle way. (And that John Du Prez score sure doesn't hurt in the campfire scene.)

I feel like they all show how they deal with difficult emotions in different ways during the movie - Leo takes on an obsessive burden of responsibility, Donnie tries to talk it out (though he's kinda Mikey-fied in this movie, so it's hard to really define him as well as the others), Raphael gets... y'know, angry, and Mikey hides it. Some of that might be me reading more into it than a casual viewer might, but it's actually present in the material, which puts this a cut above... let's just say, certain other TMNT movies.

Leo656
01-21-2015, 09:17 AM
Yep. Pretty much 100% in agreement on that. Always really, really liked how subtle but strong Mikey's feelings are presented, definitely. Pretty much everything you said is exactly how I feel about all of it.

I don't care at all how fancy or flashy it isn't, it's a great F'n movie. It's got it in all the places where it counts.