PDA

View Full Version : Ninja Turtles Feature Fan Film

CJRocky
12-24-2014, 05:59 PM
Heres a chance for Turtles fans who are not so keen on the latest movie adaption to get involved in a Ninja Turtles movie by the fans for the fans.

With the latest Michael Bay produced version it kind of felt like they had a mentality of "well its for kids so lets make it silly" or "its about Ninja turtles so its not supposed to be taken seriously" but our idea is to make a Turtles Movie thats a little more edgy and serious and more realistic looking that will still appeal to all ages

We believe among Turtles fans there is a thirst to see a more mature version of the turtles while sticking to its roots and respecting the source material. but please note just because the goal is to do a more serious version of Ninja Turtles does not mean it will be 100% dark and depressing, we believe its possible to get a balance of serious while still having their fun and lovable personalities shine through without the need of over the top stereotypicalism

There's so much untapped potential there its surprising that an incarnation like this hasnt been done yet but dont see hollywood doing it anytime soon since they most likley will always steer towards making it strictly for kids since in their minds that is the biggest target audience.

But our version is not about making money its just about making a version of the Ninja Turtles that has not been done before that dosent go out its way to butcher the story or insult the older fanbase. by pulling influence from the original comics, cartoons and the first 1990s movie we believe fans could do a much better job.

The Movie will be available for free online for everyone to enjoy. Upon completion there will be a streaming link to watch the DVD in full HD and a download link available so you can save it to your computer to watch offline also. we are not doing this to make profit this is a fan service funded by fans that just want to see a New movie version of Ninja Turtles done right the everyone can enjoy for free anywhere in the world. So the movie wont have a theatrical release but will be available online to watch just about anywhere on any device in high quality in HD 1080p. everyone involved in the project will be credited in the credits

This movie will also serve as a platform for aspiring talented individuals to showcase their creativity we will be looking to use the funding to hire talented people from anywhere in the world to help with all aspects of the film making process from camera work to story writing to voice work and stunt work so please get in touch by email at ninjaturtlesfffjobs@mail.com with your portfolio or links to your current best work. our design team is based in the UK but work and shooting will also be done in USA

This is also for those of you out there that are getting tired of overused CGi in movies today and would like to see a new movie version of Turtles done with practical FX and live action stunt work

Here is the concept art for Leonardo. Were going for a look that is appealing to all ages, that resembles what a Human/Turtle would actually look like. small , lean and athletic and not to be underestimated. i will post the rest of the designs as they develop

http://th05.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2014/356/a/c/real_ninja_turtle_2015_concept_art_by_cjrocky-d8atvx0.jpg

Now that you have an idea of the tone were going for please chip in your thoughts and ideas here. most importantly please back the project here

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1332186392/ninja-turtles-feature-fan-film

with just a small donation from every Turtle fan we could make this happen ;)
also please spread the word as much as possible :)

Sabacooza
12-24-2014, 06:32 PM
Hate to be the voice of negativity here but these things never work. It was tried twice already, Once when a guy wanted to add every old toon character under the sun into a film and one where Raph was banished. You may also incur the wrath of Viacom if you do this through Kickstarter. If you can get this project off the ground then more power to you. I'd love to see a high quality fan film that could do the TMNT justice. Good luck.

One guy to get in contact with would be the guy that did "Fight the Foot". He might have some ideas on how to get started with something like this that is if you insist on doing live action.
If I'm not mistaken, there are 3D modeling forums where you can create collaborative projects for non profit films but it's always a struggle to have people consistently work on a project without getting paid.

Ramboraph4life aka Matt
12-24-2014, 08:16 PM
Hate to be the voice of negativity here but these things never work. It was tried twice already, Once when a guy wanted to add every old toon character under the sun into a film and one where Raph was banished. You may also incur the wrath of Viacom if you do this through Kickstarter. If you can get this project off the ground then more power to you.

Sad but very true. That 'Raphael Fan Film' TMNT: Banished? Only 9 people donated. Nine...and I should know that I was one of them. So yeah, these things unfortunately never work because unfortunately the majority of folks on here don't give a ****.

And I'm sorry...but it's true. All of these people gave their money to the new Bay flick and then a lot of them complained/whined/moaned, or they like a product that consists of fart jokes, boner jokes, and CHUDs being steroid-looking supporting characters in their own movie that barely do any actual martial arts and give it a PASS...but they still supported that and continually ignore these fan stuff that never get made BECAUSE of that.

So your best bet is to look elsewhere and do promotion everyday on big sites (youtube, facebook, twitter, etc.) Because it honestly won't come from folks on here...

The Boston Ninja Turtle
12-24-2014, 08:31 PM
as someone who has once or twice tried to do a fan film on a favortie franchise..i have to agree with the others...sadly things like this hardly if ever see light of day...on paper is sounds amazing but once you start getting into it people dont realize how much hard work goes into it

hate to be a naysayer

now dont get me wrong, fan films get made..but 95% of the time you will have to front the budget yourself..if you rely on donations you are just going to sit in development hell forever

that casey jones fan film was a lucky draw,but then again look at it...sure it was TMNT based but the focus was not on the turtles but jones himself, its entire budget was probably to hire robbie rist

my advice,from one film maker to another...start small...think about your story and figure out exactly want the story is you wanna tell..is it doable say with a small budget, where are your expenses going..who are you going to hire? do you have anything that could be re purposed into the film? are there any scenes that maybe just would be to hard to film..etc

i wish you luck, i know what its like to shelve a few dream films

Purse Grabbin Puke
12-24-2014, 08:37 PM
Sad but very true. That 'Raphael Fan Film' TMNT: Banished? Only 9 people donated. Nine...and I should know that I was one of them. So yeah, these things unfortunately never work because unfortunately the majority of folks on here don't give a ****.

And I'm sorry...but it's true. All of these people gave their money to the new Bay flick and then a lot of them complained/whined/moaned, or they like a product that consists of fart jokes, boner jokes, and CHUDs being steroid-looking supporting characters in their own movie that barely do any actual martial arts and give it a PASS...but they still supported that and continually ignore these fan stuff that never get made BECAUSE of that.

So your best bet is to look elsewhere and do promotion everyday on big sites (youtube, facebook, twitter, etc.) Because it honestly won't come from folks on here...

I think it's difficult to invest or donate to something with out seeing a decent sample of what the movie will look like, a synopsis or something... Also, who knows if the person can even make a movie...some film credits probably help get donations...

To be honest, I hope you get what you need, and make a kick ass movie, but I can't donate until I'm certain you CAN make a kick ass movie.

Sabacooza
12-24-2014, 11:47 PM
I think it's difficult to invest or donate to something with out seeing a decent sample of what the movie will look like, a synopsis or something... Also, who knows if the person can even make a movie...some film credits probably help get donations...

To be honest, I hope you get what you need, and make a kick ass movie, but I can't donate until I'm certain you CAN make a kick ass movie.This is also very true. I would put a few small things together, storyboards, more concept art, or even an early rough of a sculpted TMNT head to see where you're going with it.

I don't know what kind of sculptors and costume fabricators you have or will have at your disposal but top notch TMNT costumes are critical. Nothing takes me out of a fan film like a badly made costume.

Also, you mention on your kickstarter page that the concept art of Leo up above is finalized. Please say this isn't so because as nice as it is, it still needs major improvement.

Hannurdock
12-25-2014, 02:23 AM
Difficult, but I'd definitely help out in a writing capacity.

Candy Kappa
12-25-2014, 02:57 AM
I really do not care for that design, it have a lot of the same issues the Platinum Duns designs have in the shell design and overall anatomy, and he looks way too much like a sea turtle.

I also feel the kickstarter text is not selling me this fan-made movie, no synopsis, just that it will be better then the Platinum Duns movie and that cgi sucks apparently. Well thanks, as a 3D modeler and animator, that just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

"Let's fix Ninja Turtles" Great, tell me how you are gonna do that then just say the turtles will be practical effects and that the new movie sucked. There's nothing to go on.

CJRocky
12-25-2014, 03:54 AM
i hear all your concerns,

i think the main reason the past fan films have failed is because they never really had anyone attached with film credit.

but i am currently in talks with studioADi who are the practical FX company behind predator and aliens etc. They also took to kick starter to get their own film Harbinger Down made and were successfully funded by fans of practical FX
which just further shows that having people with film credit is important which is why we are trying our best to get them involved. i have explained to them that if fully funded they will be paid to build the Turtle Suits but can also help with building sets and filming also depending on much they want to be involved.
Studio ADI are on a mission to get practical FX back to the forefront as the artform of practical is current being surpressed by studio heads in hollywood
so i think this project is a perfect candidate for them to aid that quest since the stars of the movie are all intended to be done practical

if you guys could send positive messages to Alec Gillis (head of StudioADI) about this project to show your support that would be great thanks
https://twitter.com/alec_gillis

Powder
12-25-2014, 07:36 AM
I don't care for the design either. Why try to create a film that gives people an alternative to the Bay flick when y'alls vision is similarly flawed? You make a big speech about respecting the roots & paying homage, yet your turtle is another slapdash attempt at "realism" that is both contradictory to the motive, visually unappealing, & in no way classic. I've gotta echo everyone else in here. As far as I can tell, you've got nothing. & that bit about showcasing talent seems more like a cry for help than anything else. Good luck. If this thing comes together & you actually make something of it (which I highly doubt, nothing personal), I might be down to support y'all, but right now, bleh.

nylemon
12-25-2014, 10:20 AM
i dont know,but somehow i will keep track on this project and see what i can do.
right now i don't even have a account to use money global.

Sabacooza
12-25-2014, 11:22 AM
I really do not care for that design, it have a lot of the same issues the Platinum Duns designs have in the shell design and overall anatomy, and he looks way too much like a sea turtle.

I also feel the kickstarter text is not selling me this fan-made movie, no synopsis, just that it will be better then the Platinum Duns movie and that cgi sucks apparently. Well thanks, as a 3D modeler and animator, that just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

"Let's fix Ninja Turtles" Great, tell me how you are gonna do that then just say the turtles will be practical effects and that the new movie sucked. There's nothing to go on.I myself love 3D modeling and animation. What you can do with it is unlimited. You can do an entire film in the comfort of your own home or studio in front of a computer. You can make veins bulge, muscles flex, tendons pop out and areas of the body displace as weight is applied. You'll never get that with practical effects so it has major advantages over practical effects in that regard. I would like to see what could be done with practical effects for old time's sake though. However, you won't get the latest innovation or animatronics in a fan film unless you have good connections and access to that kind of stuff. I don't see why they couldn't take the designs they had for the 1st movie and make them all out of CG as long as they looked super realistic. It would be awesome if someone would try that out so we could see what we could've gotten if Hollywood cared enough to stick with what worked instead of totally reinventing it.:roll:

But yeah CJRocky, make your film but be wise and take our advice into consideration. We're all diehard TMNT fans here. We have a pretty good idea what TMNT should and shouldn't be. Don't be set on the design you've provided just yet. Like we said, it needs major work. You should maybe come up with a few designs and then start a poll to see which one puts you on the right track. I know you guys want to put your own stamp on it but remember, less is more. Don't over think these designs.

With that said, you have to put together a tempting package in order for people to start biting and if you can get some of the big guys to help you out with this, even better yet. Take all the time you want but make it good. Slow and steady wins the race.

Feel free to PM me for any guidance on what you can do to make this a great film. I'm sure others would be open to that as well. You could also just hang out on here and do some research, maybe check out some poles or start your own.

Commenter 42
12-25-2014, 12:19 PM
Well, if you have the time, go for it.

Where the costume design is concerned, I suggest you stick a finger in each ear, and scream lalalalalalalalalalalala for the duration of production. Everyone one here has a different perspective on what they should look like, but the funny thing is, no one seems to agree on the specifics. They know what they love, and what they hate, but that's it. There is a little overlap of fan preferences, but for the most part, if it isn't Henson's 1990 film, it's going to be criticized.

Good luck, have fun, and make something you love. You'll never please everyone here, but if it makes you happy, then you've at least you've pleased yourself.

Candy Kappa
12-25-2014, 12:47 PM
How can the shoulder strap go under the shell..?

Commenter 42
12-25-2014, 01:20 PM

Can't, obviously, but then again, even the 2014 versions didn't have shells that were attached correctly. This guy wants to make art, and there are far crazier TMNT designs floating around.

http://www.cityoffilms.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/tmnt-art1.jpg
http://www.johnenete.com/art/Ent_Characters_08_3.jpg
http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2013/053/a/6/teenage_mutant_ninja_turtles_by_splendidriver-d5vwk80.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-gjr-3nlppSo/T3eQA3izlDI/AAAAAAAAAj0/gi5Ue0dxt0I/s1600/turtleboy..jpg

http://41.media.tumblr.com/b3a318a37e29d48a39ba22ae14f75fe0/tumblr_ngm8i2sUzM1ruuqu6o1_r2_1280.jpg

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/308/a/2/a2e66abfc5e4e7c2f5daef83f3c9f797-d5jtxr5.jpg

So, meh? I can't find the specific drawing that the op's post reminds me of, but it's very similar to this:

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2012/189/8/3/ninja_turtle___leonardo__sculpted_by_micky_betts_b y_mixta110-d56hn1n.jpg

Sculpted by Mickey Betts

As I recall, fans liked it quite a bit.

Amaranthus
12-25-2014, 01:20 PM

The plastron and the carapace aren't even connected to each other.
I smh at the lack of turtle-anatomy knowledge.

Commenter 42
12-25-2014, 01:30 PM
The plastron and the carapace aren't even connected to each other.
I smh at the lack of turtle-anatomy knowledge.

This is my point. I have yet to see anyone create a TMNT design that would make sense IRL.

It must be really difficult, or no one cares to do the research. At this point I'm just content to look at pictures of terrapins and use my imagination. :lol:

I also don't think most people are interested in real life designs. from what i've read here, most want Henson suits, with upgrades for pronunciation. Outside of that becomes complaint territory.

Powder
12-25-2014, 01:35 PM
Most people say they'd have liked the Out Of The Shadows designs, too.

http://i61.tinypic.com/ff9s1z.jpg

There are plenty of ways to have a classic look that is somehow unique.

Commenter 42
12-25-2014, 01:47 PM
Most people say they'd have liked the Out Of The Shadows designs, too.

http://i61.tinypic.com/ff9s1z.jpg

There are plenty of ways to have a classic look that is somehow unique.

Yeah, it's like there are a few camps (in no particular order of popularity)

1 OOTS designs

2 HENSON suits with face replace/augmented CG practical suits.

3 Cuter/Anime/Ross Campbell inspired turtles,

4 Mirage, Dark&Gritty

5 OT designs

6 Hyper Muscular Super powered design (the 2014 crowd)

7 Very Human looking

8 Very realistic (which can mean anything, really) :)

Candy Kappa
12-25-2014, 01:51 PM
The OotS Designs are so great. Hey convey a "realistic" look without sacrificing the very core Ninja Turtle style. And their anatomy is so well done, those arms on Mikey screams Slider very much to me with the size of he forearms Nd hands compared to the shoulder and bicep. Their shell is very well designed and gives them a bulky look, yet maintain a sense of ability to be martial artsy and agile.

Commenter 42
12-25-2014, 05:40 PM
I don't know what this is, but I just wanted to share. I think it was supposed to be Splinter.

When mutant becomes the operative word:
http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100417021417/muppet/images/thumb/7/79/Mockturtle.jpg/250px-Mockturtle.jpg

Sabacooza
12-25-2014, 11:06 PM
I don't know what this is, but I just wanted to share. I think it was supposed to be Splinter.

When mutant becomes the operative word:
http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100417021417/muppet/images/thumb/7/79/Mockturtle.jpg/250px-Mockturtle.jpgGood God that's freaky! Yeah, the designs need to be attractive, slightly cute I suppose and not something from our nightmares. I wouldn't be opposed to something like Out of the Shadows with maybe a little A.C. Farley style thrown in there for facial features especially the beak area.

Commenter 42
12-25-2014, 11:21 PM
It will be interesting to see what comes of this.

Sabacooza
12-26-2014, 12:31 AM
I am currently in talks with studioADi who are the practical FX company behind predator and aliens etc. They also took to kick starter to get their own film Harbinger Down made and were successfully funded by fans of practical FX
which just further shows that having people with film credit is important which is why we are trying our best to get them involved. i have explained to them that if fully funded they will be paid to build the Turtle Suits but can also help with building sets and filming also depending on much they want to be involved.
Studio ADI are on a mission to get practical FX back to the forefront as the artform of practical is current being surpressed by studio heads in hollywood
so i think this project is a perfect candidate for them to aid that quest since the stars of the movie are all intended to be done practical.https://twitter.com/alec_gillis I just now checked out Studio ADI's site. Man, if you could get them involved, that would be sweet. Their work is amazing!

I don't know how much these guys charge to create a costume, probably a lot but it may be a good idea to cut the cost by doing a story that focuses on one TMNT for now. If this film does really well, you could get funding for a sequel no problem. Then you could add the other three. As others said, start small.

Ville Leskinen
12-26-2014, 11:28 AM
What I've learned with working on films:

Start with a 1 minute film.

No. Seriously. If you can't put together a film that's one minute long, then how will you pull off a 90 min. feature? Don't have the money? Well, making your first film 60 seconds long, you cut down the cost significantly. Don't think you can tell the story you want in 1 minute? Well, dragging on with the rest of the 89 won't help on that. Don't have the skills? Well..., you see my point?

I hope you make your film. And have fun with it! Just start small. :)

Commenter 42
12-26-2014, 05:52 PM
What I've learned with working on films:

Start with a 1 minute film.

No. Seriously. If you can't put together a film that's one minute long, then how will you pull off a 90 min. feature? Don't have the money? Well, making your first film 60 seconds long, you cut down the cost significantly. Don't think you can tell the story you want in 1 minute? Well, dragging on with the rest of the 89 won't help on that. Don't have the skills? Well..., you see my point?

I hope you make your film. And have fun with it! Just start small. :)

This is such bad advice, yet I've heard it time and time again. Telling a story in 1 minute is infinitely more difficult than 5 or 10, or 30, or 2hrs. This is true, because great stories are not bumper stickers, or memes. Asking a novice film maker to do this is like buying your kid a pair of skates, and expecting him to start in the NHL.

Maybe you can string together the quick pitch, great, and maybe the story legitimately only needs 1 minute to be told, but then again, if you can tell your story in 1 minute, why would you expand said story to 89?

This is bad advice full stop. The correct advice would be to try to make a short, of any length you like, and tell the story, the best way you know how. Keep notes throughout the process, and do a post mortem once you've completed the journey. Expect to make mistakes, And learn from the mistakes you've made. There's no magic bullet. Everyone learns their own way. The hardest thing to do, will be to complete your first project. It's a battle, no question. The Internet is littered with false starts and good intentions.

Telling a story in 1 minute means your story can be told in one minute, nothing more. Telling a compelling or interesting story in a minute is another story.

TigerClaw
12-26-2014, 05:59 PM
Despite what the Kickstarter for this fanfilm says, I enjoyed the 2014 movie, and I don't mind if someone else makes there own TMNT fanfilm in there own style, It's all about creative freedom, If they wanna do it that way, Let them.

Ville Leskinen
12-27-2014, 01:17 AM
This is such bad advice, yet I've heard it time and time again. Telling a story in 1 minute is infinitely more difficult than 5 or 10, or 30, or 2hrs. This is true, because great stories are not bumper stickers, or memes. Asking a novice film maker to do this is like buying your kid a pair of skates, and expecting him to start in the NHL.

Maybe you can string together the quick pitch, great, and maybe the story legitimately only needs 1 minute to be told, but then again, if you can tell your story in 1 minute, why would you expand said story to 89?

This is bad advice full stop. The correct advice would be to try to make a short, of any length you like, and tell the story, the best way you know how. Keep notes throughout the process, and do a post mortem once you've completed the journey. Expect to make mistakes, And learn from the mistakes you've made. There's no magic bullet. Everyone learns their own way. The hardest thing to do, will be to complete your first project. It's a battle, no question. The Internet is littered with false starts and good intentions.

Telling a story in 1 minute means your story can be told in one minute, nothing more. Telling a compelling or interesting story in a minute is another story.

Ok. Well, it worked for me. Your mileage may vary.

Commenter 42
12-27-2014, 12:10 PM
Ok. Well, it worked for me. Your mileage may vary.

I've yet to see anyone create a compelling 1 minute film that would also work as a feature.

Making a short is a great way to start, but implementing crazy restrictions straight away is silly for the uninitiated.

It takes time to build that sort of skill.

Candy Kappa
12-27-2014, 02:33 PM
The 1 minute thing works fine if you take a better moment of the script and film it as a snipit from the movie.

Example a scene where one of the turtles spies on some gang members do some trade in a back alley with some dialogue. The shadowed Turtle says a catchphrase and moves out of the shadows, end snipit.

Commenter 42
12-27-2014, 04:07 PM
The 1 minute thing works fine if you take a better moment of the script and film it as a snipit from the movie.

Example a scene where one of the turtles spies on some gang members do some trade in a back alley with some dialogue. The shadowed Turtle says a catchphrase and moves out of the shadows, end snipit.

Sure, but that is a teaser. The concept of a 1 minute film is a trope from film school ideology, suggesting that a good filmmaker should be able to explain their entire story in 1 minute, and if not, they should revise until they can.

It's an old idea that forces a high concept narrative, often resulting in simple, less complex ideas, if only for the sake of brevity. It's all too common in todays world. The audience should stretch to the level of the writer, rather than have the author stoop down to the lowest common denominator. The latter results in cliched stories, retold in familiar, unsatisfying ways. As an example, one not look further than TMNTPD, and since the op 's desire is to do more than H'wood could, it would be wise to not paralyze his actions by confining him within their parameters.

The caveat here, is that while it may be possible to do so, it's far more difficult to achieve without resorting to the tricks mentioned above.

Simply put, tell a good story, and the run time will be determined in it's telling, not some erroneous idiom.

Davetello
12-30-2014, 07:44 PM
This guy sent me an email after seeing my post in the thread in the general forum (I didn't even know my email address was public) talking about this. I will be replying to it soon.

The ambitions are very lofty, it must be said; perhaps unrealistic. I'm not sure quite what to make of it all just yet. But I'd love to see something come to fruition.

Sabacooza
12-30-2014, 10:17 PM
This guy sent me an email after seeing my post in the thread in the general forum (I didn't even know my email address was public) talking about this. I will be replying to it soon.

The ambitions are very lofty, it must be said; perhaps unrealistic. I'm not sure quite what to make of it all just yet. But I'd love to see something come to fruition.Yeah, sadly these things never get made. With that said though, I'd like to be proven wrong.