PDA

View Full Version : TMNT (NES) Prototype Mystery Solved!

Kendamu
12-29-2014, 11:54 PM
Some background:

On Nintendo Player, there's an article and a ROM download for a prototype/sample version of TMNT for NES. In it there's a stage select option and on the cart there's some writing that says "No Die." You can read that right here if you'd like (http://www.nintendoplayer.com/prototype/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles/).

I decided to look into the "No Die" thing and these are the results I came up with. If you can't watch right now, a less detailed version of the explanation for "No Die" is in the spoiler tags below the video.

UPDATE: I need to look into this some more. The results I have aren't 100%. Sometimes the Technodrome does appear in another spot still. This means I need to look into things just a little more. I thought I had it, too! In any case, enjoy the prototype ROM! Remember to hit A+Start to do level select.

Cure
12-30-2014, 12:20 AM
Nicely done, homie. Those "ah-hah!" moments in life are great.

oldmanwinters
12-30-2014, 07:51 PM
Ooh, level select! I'd love to challenge myself by going straight to the Technodrome without bonus weapons and see how long I last.

Kendamu
12-30-2014, 09:20 PM
Grab the ROM from the bottom of the article and give it a shot!

d_osborn
12-31-2014, 05:17 PM
Neat! The article author (and prototype cartridge owner) is a fellow 'Dromer with a metric crap ton of COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL stuff in his collection. Cool dude!

oldmanwinters
12-31-2014, 10:38 PM
Regarding the Drome's subterranean location, I usually just pick the bottom left manhole first, and it seems to be slightly more likely than the other two options.

Cure
12-31-2014, 10:56 PM
Regarding the Drome's subterranean location, I usually just pick the bottom left manhole first, and it seems to be slightly more likely than the other two options.

Man, this confused me for a second. Like, these forums are the Drome for me; the roaming ball of death with an eye on top is the Technodrome to me. You know?

Sumac
01-01-2015, 08:00 AM
I had a pirate hack of the Japanese version of the game. It allowed to select stages by pressing "Select" on the title screen. However, I always attempted to complete the game without cheats. Besides, fighting at the Technodrome without any kind of warm up was a nightmare.

oldmanwinters
01-01-2015, 10:49 AM
Man, this confused me for a second. Like, these forums are the Drome for me; the roaming ball of death with an eye on top is the Technodrome to me. You know?

Heh, yeah, I can see your point. But see my signature's gag too.

Mew
01-03-2015, 07:54 AM
Ooh, level select! I'd love to challenge myself by going straight to the Technodrome without bonus weapons and see how long I last.
Yeah. You get to go past the dam stage! I would like to replay the dam stage until I get good at it.

oldmanwinters
01-03-2015, 05:49 PM
Haven't played the prototype yet, but I did give the NES cart another run through completion just to get back into practice. I'm pretty sure I'll at least need a healthy quantity of boomerangs to get through that final tunnel run in the Technodrome. Jet pack guys like to pin me down!

NinjaRap
01-10-2015, 10:52 PM
The ex-developer who originally sold this couldn't figure out how to activate the "No Die" mode, either.

It's important to point out that prototypes are often reused several times, since the chips inside can be erased and reburned, so it's entirely possible that the "No Die" was from an earlier build version. That might explain the addition of the "SS" (Stage Select?) label on the case.

That being said, I hope you keep digging around!