PDA

View Full Version : Movie 3

Mew
01-03-2015, 08:42 AM
General discussion, like it or don't.

Shark_Blade
01-03-2015, 08:43 AM
It's better than Secret of the Ooze, so it's not that bad imo.

TMNT 2014/TMNT1
Turtles Forever
TMNT3
TMNT2
TMNT 2k7

Mew
01-03-2015, 08:47 AM

TMNT 2014/TMNT1
Turtles Forever
TMNT3
TMNT2
TMNT 2k7
Got that right, even though little kids would like the corny nature of the second one.

oldmanwinters
01-03-2015, 09:06 AM
I've always liked it. And I still do, in spite of its problems.

Have you been following the in-progress fan-translation of its Japanese manga adaptation?
http://opentrain.theyear199x.org/?cat=31

Davetello
01-03-2015, 10:09 AM
It's nowhere near as poor as it's made out to be. It's not great but it's okay - I honestly think the laughable costumes are a big part of why it is seen as a terrible film. The plot - while generic - is okay and executed fairly well. Raph and Mikey's relationships with the human characters are also lovely. The movie is still better than the new film (you're free, worms).

Mew
01-03-2015, 10:13 AM
I've always liked it. And I still do, in spite of its problems.

Have you been following the in-progress fan-translation of its Japanese manga adaptation?
http://opentrain.theyear199x.org/?cat=31
Me too, and no, but thanks!

Mew
01-03-2015, 10:15 AM
It's nowhere near as poor as it's made out to be. It's not great but it's okay - I honestly think the laughable costumes are a big part of why it is seen as a terrible film. The plot - while generic - is okay and executed fairly well. Raph and Mikey's relationships with the human characters are also lovely. The movie is still better than the new film (you're free, worms).
Yeah, I do agree with you. But if you wear th TMNT costume at like a birthday party or event, it would get a lot of good attention!

Donnieangelo
01-03-2015, 10:28 AM
This movie makes me want to go to Feudal Japan.

That will totally be fun!

Davetello
01-03-2015, 10:31 AM
Yeah, I do agree with you. But if you wear th TMNT costume at like a birthday party or event, it would get a lot of good attention!

I'm not saying that TMNT costumes are automatically poor. The costumes for the first film and especially SotO were excellent. But the ones for the third film were terrible.

TigerClaw
01-03-2015, 10:43 AM
I'm not saying that TMNT costumes are automatically poor. The costumes for the first film and especially SotO were excellent. But the ones for the third film were terrible.
I would guess it's the studio's fault, for rushing the film into production at the time.

sethmartin
01-10-2015, 07:01 PM
http://cinemassacre.com/2007/01/25/tmnt-part-1/

I agree with this guy 100%

The Boston Ninja Turtle
01-10-2015, 07:15 PM
its not the best of the original 3 but it has its charm..i enjoy it

Jester
01-10-2015, 07:16 PM
I stand by this statement:

If TMNT III's costumes had been done by Henson, it wouldn't get half the hate it gets.

snake
01-10-2015, 07:54 PM

If TMNT III's costumes had been done by Henson, it wouldn't get half the hate it gets.

The costumes are the biggest reason why I don't like it. It's a pretty okay-ish movie if you look past that.

MsMarvelDuckie
01-10-2015, 08:11 PM

I second that!

DarkFell
01-10-2015, 08:56 PM
TMNT III wasn't the absolute best movie, but it wasn't the absolute worst movie either. I was just happy to hear Corey Feldman and see Elias Koteas again.

IndigoErth
01-10-2015, 09:04 PM
Yeah, the costumes are kinda bleh... Too different from before, too identical with each other, and the spots are far too uniform and not subtle at all. The samurai gear helps, I prefer those portions. I like some of the Turtles' interactions with each other and other people. Esp Raph and the little boy.

MsMarvelDuckie
01-10-2015, 09:09 PM
YES. ^ Absolutely this. I also loved Mikey's side-story. (Okay, I'm a sucker for the sweetheart, so sue me!) And the subtle hints at some sort of connection between the turtles and the past.

B-Man
01-10-2015, 10:30 PM
Koteas is really good in it. Only thing I can outright praise.

Watching 3, you can feel the movie franchise dying right infront of you. The original was so down-to-earth, gritty & as believable as possible, and then on movie 3 they introduced TIME TRAVEL. Felt like they were already out of ideas. I don't feel it deserves to sit next to the first two. The step down in quality is insane. The costumes were pathetic but even if they had Henson's gear, it still would've felt like jumping the shark. Guilty pleasure at best.

Jester
01-10-2015, 10:33 PM
The original was so down-to-earth, gritty & as believable as possible, and then on movie 3 they introduced TIME TRAVEL. Felt like they were already out of ideas.
Have you read the Mirage books? Time Travel is almost a constant in the TMNT.

B-Man
01-10-2015, 10:54 PM
Of course. I'm talking about time travel in relation to the first two movies. They don't lend themselves to the Back To The Future-vibe of 3, part of why it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Powder
01-10-2015, 11:05 PM
I don't think it stands out at all. I mean, we're talking about films where present day armor clad ninja masters serve the role of foster parents to teenage punk rockers, who in exchange for a place to sleep at night, steal radioactive waste to create monsters to fight other monsters... Time travel isn't so outta left field in comparison.

The Boston Ninja Turtle
01-11-2015, 12:05 AM
see the time travel doesnt bug me as much...it was kinda the it thing at the time

LeoRaph
01-11-2015, 12:43 AM
Surprisingly Yes I like it and I only watched it last year after putting it off for so many years.

I didn't think the story was that bad and I Know Baaaaad :twink: It had some genuinely nice tender moments in it, good fight scenes, Elias Koteas playing 2 roles was a nice touch even if his Casey hair was fake and it even brought up the reality of being outcasts. I also agree with some other users that if it had the Henson Costumes it probably would get more props than it does now.

Out of the 6 Movies, it ranks number 4 for me just bellow The Secret of The Ooze which is only at number 3 mostly for Nostalgia and better costumes. TMNT is number 5, Turtles Forever number 2 and the 1990 Movie is number 1.

MsMarvelDuckie
01-11-2015, 12:58 AM
It's at #2 for me, right behind the original. TMNT is third, SotO is fourth, and 2014 is right behind that. turtles Forever is my least favorite, TBH. I just felt it went over-the-top with the OT turtles, and suffered because of it.

Jester
01-11-2015, 01:31 AM
I like to expand the silly "Casey?" implication to crazy levels.

What I mean is April seems to see a family resemblance between Whit and Casey. I always assume that was the case. That Whit is Casey's ancestor, and that Mitsu, Grandfather and Yoshi are Hamatos and that Norinaga and Kenshin are Sakis. Is it very "fate-y"? Sure (which is kinda ironic, since I HATE that in most recent superhero fair), but it makes it feel like it is connected to the prequels.

DarkFell
01-11-2015, 01:37 AM
Pretty cool theory Jester. I think you cleared the air up on my side. Nice way to see the third movie dude. I like.

The Boston Ninja Turtle
01-11-2015, 01:42 AM
i remember when someone tried to tell me Yoshi was "Yoshi" not a decendent

and that leo Saved his "Granpa"

Jester
01-11-2015, 01:43 AM
i remember when someone tried to tell me Yoshi was "Yoshi" not a decendent

and that leo Saved his "Granpa"
That's crazy....

I do see Yoshi as the namesake of Hamato Yoshi though. :P

pennydreadful
01-11-2015, 03:05 AM
I've always enjoyed the third movie; I think it gets more flak than it deserves. Sure, it's silly and corny at times, but it's still an enjoyable watch and its heart is in the right place.

Leo656
01-11-2015, 05:56 AM
I think the worst of it is that it's kind of flat and boring. You don't buy that These Guys are any threat to the Turtles in any way, for starters, and as for the Turtles, their "quest" kind of doesn't go anywhere in any exciting way, or even a way that makes sense.

"We need to find Mikey!"
"Oh, he's over there."
"YES! We found Mikey!"

.....And then....

"We need to find the scepter!"
"We can't! Let's just build another one!"
"Why?"
"Because the movie still has another 45 minutes to go and we need artificial conflict!"
"We made another one and I broke it."
"We STILL need to find the scepter!"
"Oh, is that all you need? I have it. Here ya go."

...And in between, fight scenes happen for various reasons. :lol: It's like they had a decent premise for a half-hour cartoon but NO idea how to drag it into a 90-minute film, and there's all this stuff going on that is blatantly just to make the movie longer, or create fake drama/conflict. Like the guys debating whether or not to say, "Screw Splinter and those Nameless Extras back home, let's stay here because people like us" thing they crammed in at the very very end. Because.... because Mikey wanted to get his freak on? :lol: You almost left her real boyfriend stranded in the "future", buddy, I kinda don't think she'd be into you. :lol: Just a lot of stuff happening JUST because, "we need to drag this out."

That and it looked crummy. For as lousy as the costumes looked, showing them in broad daylight for most of the movie was SUCH a poor decision. I mean, it's not like the suits in the first movie were a TON better... and that's why that movie is shot so dark. It looks better because they took care to hide the flaws, although the suits were better but not dramatically so. it was just shot more conservatively. By the third it was just "Eh, kids don't know/care how it looks."

It's got its charm, though. There's a lot of things that put it ahead of the second one. Neither one belongs in the same film universe as the first one, though. They're both okay kids' movies but really terrible follow-ups to the first.

ToTheNines
01-11-2015, 06:03 AM

What I mean is April seems to see a family resemblance between Whit and Casey. I always assume that was the case. That Whit is Casey's ancestor, and that Mitsu, Grandfather and Yoshi are Hamatos and that Norinaga and Kenshin are Sakis. Is it very "fate-y"? Sure (which is kinda ironic, since I HATE that in most recent superhero fair), but it makes it feel like it is connected to the prequels.

Oroku's maybe?

Shark_Blade
01-11-2015, 08:14 AM
Better than no fighting scene at all *looks at tmnt 2 in disgust*

Jester
01-11-2015, 08:43 AM
Oroku's maybe?

Actually it'd be Orokus. The apostrophe indicates a possessive noun...not a plural.

ToTheNines
01-11-2015, 12:09 PM
Lol, you win.

THGhost
01-11-2015, 04:31 PM

TMNT 2014/TMNT1
Turtles Forever
TMNT3
TMNT2
TMNT 2k7

This is precisely my personal order. :D

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
01-11-2015, 04:44 PM
If only they had actually done a true retelling of the "Masks" storyline from Mirage Volume 1, it could have been awesome. Chote, Savanti Romero, Renet... ah well, what might have been.

pferreira
01-15-2015, 09:28 AM
I have the same opinion as most which is that the costumes let the movie down. The body part of the costume looks ok but the faces just don't look right, say nothing for Splinter. I watched the third one recently and noticed that out of the three live-action movies it's the most epic. it's just a shame the script isn't better. As soon as you take the Turtles out of New York it stops being as much fun.

One last thing I noticed is that Elias Koteas underplays the role of Whit so much his character doesn't stand out enough and we don't learn enough about him as a result.

MsMarvelDuckie
01-18-2015, 12:29 AM

I always thought the same thing. I especially like the interactions between Raph and Yoshi, and how it almost seems to tie into what Splinter told him in the first one. As if things are coming full-circle in some way. That, and it's implied they used the scepter more than once, if that legend and scroll are to be believed.

lonewarrior20
02-08-2015, 08:47 PM
ironically the comic that was based off of the movie fixed alot of the problems that was in the film.

Powder
02-08-2015, 08:50 PM
I'm not sure you know what ironic means.

lonewarrior20
02-09-2015, 08:44 AM
I'm not sure you know what ironic means.

coincidental; unexpected

what i meant is that the comic took out alot of the bad jokes 'wet willy was only used once', added a few more scenes with the villains 'things get spooky around walker when he's looking at the scroll with the kappa', and they even changed one of the scenes so it worked better.
during the fight between mitzu and norinoga, mikey gets in between them trying to stop them. in the process mikey gets cut and upon seeing mikey bleed norinaga realizes they're not kappa and orders his men to attack.
they even cut walkers fall into the sea just right.
to me tmnt 3 is a good mixture of both the tv series and the mirage story elements that involved time travel. the only way it would have been better would have been if renet would have showed up looking for the time scepter because it had finally been used.

Bry
02-09-2015, 01:16 PM
I really liked this movie for a long time. It might have been defensiveness over its bad reputation, but I always felt it was under-appreciated... until I rewatched it. Because there's no way around it: it's a bad movie. Cheaply, lazily made in a lot of ways, and it's hard to defend that.

But that doesn't mean it didn't have potential. It had lots of it! And had the entire movie been handled differently, had a different creative team and a bigger budget, it could have been something special. And because the concept had potential and it had a relatively small budget to deal with, in a way I'm a lot more forgiving of where this fell short than... a certain other thing that had the complete opposite of both. :tlol:

The time travel plot has lots of basis in the comics - good ones, too! - that could have lead somewhere really interesting. The Turtle and Splinter suits, of course, were awful. Obnoxious jokes peppered throughout the script killed almost any legitimate drama they might have wrung out of it. And while it was great to see Elias Koteas back as Casey, he was completely wasted in this. In fact, aside from the bad suits and production values, the main problem it had was wasted potential. I don't know much about the development of the movie, but I feel like someone had a really cool, ambitious idea that just got repeatedly sanded down into... this.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
02-09-2015, 01:23 PM
ironically the comic that was based off of the movie fixed alot of the problems that was in the film.

Um, didn't the comics come before the movie? Masks Part 1 and 2?

Bry
02-09-2015, 01:30 PM
Um, didn't the comics come before the movie? Masks Part 1 and 2?

I think they're referring to the comic adaptation of the movie (http://miragelicensing.com/comics/archie/movie3/movie3.html) published by Archie Comics:

http://miragelicensing.com/comics/archie/movie3/prestigecover.jpg

IIRC, the comic adaptations had some extra story material that was either cut out or didn't make the movies.

Autbot_Benz
02-09-2015, 01:37 PM
I really liked this movie for a long time. It might have been defensiveness over its bad reputation, but I always felt it was under-appreciated... until I rewatched it. Because there's no way around it: it's a bad movie. Cheaply, lazily made in a lot of ways, and it's hard to defend that.

But that doesn't mean it didn't have potential. It had lots of it! And had the entire movie been handled differently, had a different creative team and a bigger budget, it could have been something special. And because the concept had potential and it had a relatively small budget to deal with, in a way I'm a lot more forgiving of where this fell short than... a certain other thing that had the complete opposite of both. :tlol:

The time travel plot has lots of basis in the comics - good ones, too! - that could have lead somewhere really interesting. The Turtle and Splinter suits, of course, were awful. Obnoxious jokes peppered throughout the script killed almost any legitimate drama they might have wrung out of it. And while it was great to see Elias Koteas back as Casey, he was completely wasted in this. In fact, aside from the bad suits and production values, the main problem it had was wasted potential. I don't know much about the development of the movie, but I feel like someone had a really cool, ambitious idea that just got repeatedly sanded down into... this.
IPF-mt11j_A
This guy has reviewed all 3 movies

pferreira
02-12-2015, 08:31 AM
I like Oliver Harper's reviews.

Bmaga123
05-01-2015, 03:53 PM

I agree with you 100%!

Huzzah
05-05-2015, 08:15 PM
I think at the core there was a good story to be told, I view it how I would the 2007 film. That in the right hands there would be a foundation for really good movies. There are a lot of rights in this and the 07 version, but the wrongs, which there are often less of, drag down the rights.

Cryomancer
05-06-2015, 01:15 AM
If you guys haven't read the latest chapter of the manga we released, you should, it has a very different take on one of the movie's villains.

TheCanadiandrome
05-11-2015, 12:37 AM
Love the third movie, hell I love all the movies

CowabungaMikey
05-11-2015, 01:04 AM
I like this movie, but it was a huge step backward from part 1. But hey, it's better than Turtles Forever...

Leo656
05-11-2015, 01:10 AM
:lol: Heh. Nah.

CowabungaMikey
05-11-2015, 05:45 AM
:lol: Heh. Nah.

Haha well to me it is, Turtles Forever is an okay movie but I just don't like how they portrayed the 87 Turtles. Seeing the Mirage Turtles kick ass was really cool

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
05-11-2015, 08:36 AM
Haha well to me it is, Turtles Forever is an okay movie but I just don't like how they portrayed the 87 Turtles. Seeing the Mirage Turtles kick ass was really cool

I think it looks down even on the 2003 show by turning Hun into a mutant turtle.

Leo656
05-11-2015, 11:09 PM
Nothing personal but I seriously can't believe how rash-y some folks are about TF. :lol: People gotta relax.

CowabungaMikey
05-12-2015, 06:40 AM
Nothing personal but I seriously can't believe how rash-y some folks are about TF. :lol: People gotta relax.

I'm not rash-y :p I just don't like it. But if you do, I respect that. It was a fun flick.

DonatelloDomeHead31
05-20-2015, 09:29 AM
Well...I only liked the 3rd one because Corey Feldman voiced Donatello and he had more jokes than the first one.

I wasn't too pleased with the story & I didn't like how Michelangelo wanted to stay & depart from his brothers.

Mixed emotions about the plot--liked Donatello's jokes :D