PDA

View Full Version : TMNT vs. Turtles in Time

Mew
01-04-2015, 05:12 AM
Which arcade game is better? You decide! :o:tcry::tcool:

Davetello
01-04-2015, 05:16 AM
Turtles in Time, I grew up with it and it's just a classic beat 'em up. The SNES version is the definitive version. I think TMNT is underrated to an extent, though. I really enjoyed playing most of the chapters. It was a time in my life where things were pretty quiet, so I spent many nights just sitting at home and playing the game. The one thing that I felt bogged it down was the fight sequences - they were too repetitive and each one was too long. But overall I really enjoyed the game and the way it seemed inspired by Prince of Persia.

Mew
01-04-2015, 05:20 AM
Turtles in Time, I grew up with it and it's just a classic beat 'em up. The SNES version is the definitive version. I think TMNT is underrated to an extent, though. I really enjoyed playing most of the chapters. It was a time in my life where things were pretty quiet, so I spent many nights just sitting at home and playing the game. The one thing that I felt bogged it down was the fight sequences - they were too repetitive and each one was too long. But overall I really enjoyed the game and the way it seemed inspired by Prince of Persia.
Turtles in Time because I have it at my local movie theater, and after seeing Bay Turtles, I beat the game with Raphael!

Davetello
01-04-2015, 05:23 AM
Turtles in Time because I have it at my local movie theater, and after seeing Bay Turtles, I beat the game with Raphael!

Ahh, you play the Arcade version. If you like that you should get the SNES version. I'm assuming you know what a SNES is, lol. You seem informed about the 80s and 90s hence I expect so. Shame it was never released for the wii virtual console.

Well done on completing the game! Especially with Raphael - he's the fastest turtle but he has the poorest weapon and takes the most damage.

Davetello
01-04-2015, 05:24 AM
Ahhh man :lol:

I have totally misread this man. You are comparing Turtles in Time to the original arcade game. For some reason I read it as TiT vs the TMNT movie game from '07.

That's two things misread in thirty minutes, shows how tired I am lol. But yes, I really enjoying the first Arcade game. I completed it on MAME .Still prefer TiT, though.

Mew
01-04-2015, 05:27 AM
Ahh, you play the Arcade version. If you like that you should get the SNES version. I'm assuming you know what a SNES is, lol. You seem informed about the 80s and 90s hence I expect so. Shame it was never released for the wii virtual console.

Well done on completing the game! Especially with Raphael - he's the fastest turtle but he has the poorest weapon and takes the most damage.
I don't have a SNES, but there's ROMS out there! If only Virtual Console hade it so I could play it on the WII U Gamepad! Yes, I'm posting on the Wii U Internet Browser! LOL!

Mew
01-04-2015, 05:28 AM
Ahhh man :lol:

I have totally misread this man. You are comparing Turtles in Time to the original arcade game. For some reason I read it as TiT vs the TMNT movie game from '07.

That's two things misread in thirty minutes, shows how tired I am lol. But yes, I really enjoying the first Arcade game. I completed it on MAME .Still prefer TiT, though.
Thats OK, and yes I agree!

Davetello
01-04-2015, 05:32 AM
I don't have a SNES, but there's ROMS out there! If only Virtual Console hade it so I could play it on the WII U Gamepad! Yes, I'm posting on the Wii U Internet Browser! LOL!

Hahah, well I didn't wanna say ROMs because of legal issues on here. But yes, there's that.

Glad to hear you enjoy your Wii U. What games have you got? I will read your reply next time I log on. Talk soon little buddy :)

Mew
01-04-2015, 05:42 AM
Hahah, well I didn't wanna say ROMs because of legal issues on here. But yes, there's that.

Glad to hear you enjoy your Wii U. What games have you got? I will read your reply next time I log on. Talk soon little buddy :)
I have like to many to count!

DarkFell
01-04-2015, 07:40 AM
TMNT arcade game. It was the only TMMT game that I played to the finish. Never got to play Turtles in Time.

Powder
01-04-2015, 01:35 PM
As an arcade title, the first one beats TiT, but TiT on SNES beats the original arcade title. So I voted for TMNT, though I prefer the upgraded version of TiT to it.

TigerClaw
01-04-2015, 01:46 PM
I like Turtles in Time the best, Cause of it's imaginative levels.

DevilSpooky
01-04-2015, 05:08 PM

Unfortunately they can't re-release the game due to licessing issues, both for the game as a whole but for it's soundtrack too (reason why they had to change it for the remake)

Davetello
01-05-2015, 12:57 AM
Unfortunately they can't re-release the game due to licessing issues, both for the game as a whole but for it's soundtrack too (reason why they had to change it for the remake)

Yea, I heard it was something like that. Thanks for the confirmation. It's something like because it was made by Konami and then Ubisoft owned the rights, yes?

Turtle_power_eh?
03-23-2015, 10:42 AM
Both are extremely memorable arcade machines, but I'm going to vote for the original. It holds a lot more memories for me, standing in the huge line at the arcade just waiting for the words "SHELL SHOCKED!" so I could get that much closer to my turn.

...my opinion may be slightly biased due to actually owning the machine now too :tlol:

massakre
03-23-2015, 01:13 PM
i gotta say, i never have gotten the chance to play Turtles in Time at an arcade, as opposed to SNES. til this day, when i think "TMNT the arcade game", there is only one definitive arcade game and that is the 1989 version. By default, Id have to say TMNT 1989 one was the best.

oldmanwinters
03-23-2015, 04:50 PM
Comparing just the arcade games, the original has always been such a blast for me to play. It's just a great romp through the Fred Wolf TMNT era with all the characters, villains, vehicles, and environments getting their own spotlights.

Prowler
03-23-2015, 05:06 PM
The original Arcade game.

Turtles in Time's best version is the SNES one. Now that one competes alongside the original Arcade game for the "Best TMNT game of all time" award.

I'd like to have seen the original Arcade game getting ported to SNES, though. Obviously the NES wasn't advanced enough to get a great port of it.

PangolinFeets
03-23-2015, 06:27 PM
Two words: Sewer Surfin'.

Garfield
03-26-2015, 12:30 AM
I think that because the SNES version is better than the Arcade Version of TiT, it kind of makes it stale to me. But I still like the Arcade version. But I think TMNT arcade plays a little tighter and its a fantastic representation of Season one while TiT arcade isn't as good of a representation of a specific era of the classic TMNT cartoon.

Andrew NDB
03-26-2015, 12:49 AM
They're the same game. Just Final Fight clones with different colored Foot Soldiers and levels. Press those two buttons, fast as you can... maybe if you pick Donatello before the guy next to you, you might get better reach with his bo. Blegh. TMNT as a video game died when the first NES game ended, which was rather inventive (particularly for the time)... highly underrated, even now in a time when people are hunting down the various version of the TMNT arcade game (TMNT 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, pick one... they're all the same game with different badly translated cutscenes).

Ninjinister
03-26-2015, 01:20 AM
We get it, you hate fun.

oldmanwinters
03-26-2015, 07:20 AM
TMNT as a video game died when the first NES game ended, which was rather inventive (particularly for the time)... highly underrated

Andrew, I can at least agree with you heartily that the first NES game was both a creative and underrated release in the system's library. It seems it gets a reputation for being "too different" comparable to some of the Zelda sequels like Adventure of Link or Majora's Mask, and the merciless 30-something gaming public hates it because of that. It wasn't perfect, but it has always been pretty special to me.

Prowler
03-26-2015, 01:55 PM
They're the same game. Just Final Fight clones with different colored Foot Soldiers and levels. Press those two buttons, fast as you can... maybe if you pick Donatello before the guy next to you, you might get better reach with his bo. Blegh. TMNT as a video game died when the first NES game ended, which was rather inventive (particularly for the time)... highly underrated, even now in a time when people are hunting down the various version of the TMNT arcade game (TMNT 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, pick one... they're all the same game with different badly translated cutscenes).
That is true to some degree. Most TMNt games are hardly original and tend to be all of the same kind. Fighting foot soldiers gets boring after a while. that being said, the original arcade game and Turtles in Time for the SNES are two great games and two of the best beat 'em ups ever, imo.

The first NES game would have been great if it wasn't so relentlessly difficult due to bad controls and Donatello being pretty much the only worthy turtle to play as. I'd love to see a 2d TMNT game like the NES one for the SNES/MD without the issues mentioned above. that would have been awesome.

SNES Tournament Fighters was fun despite being an average Street Fighter clone, but still better than most SF clones of the time. The FW cartoon had better games than the 4Kids one had, that's for sure. The GBA games were alright but the console ones were mediocre at best.

Leo656
03-26-2015, 02:17 PM
And people say MY broad-strokes statements are ridiculous. Hoo-boy.

And yeah, if the jumping controls weren't complete dogsh*t, that first game might have a better reputation. The rest of the TMNT games may not have been "innovative" or "ground-breaking", but for the most part, when I play games I'll settle for "fun", "playable", and "halfway decent". I don't need something "unique" or "different"; definitely not at the expense of a game that doesn't fight you the whole time.

The first game was sure "different", but that can't excuse the crappy controls. It's not awful, but saying it's the only TMNT game worth anything is complete nonsense.

Prowler
03-26-2015, 02:20 PM
And people say MY broad-strokes statements are ridiculous. Hoo-boy.

And yeah, if the jumping controls weren't complete dogsh*t, that first game might have a better reputation. The rest of the TMNT games may not have been "innovative" or "ground-breaking", but for the most part, when I play games I'll settle for "fun", "playable", and "halfway decent". I don't need something "unique" or "different"; definitely not at the expense of a game that doesn't fight you the whole time.

The first game was sure "different", but that can't excuse the crappy controls. It's not awful, but saying it's the only TMNT game worth anything is complete nonsense.
Honestly, I didn't see the game getting universally panned until AVGN reviewed it. Before that it was just a game notorious for being hard like many other NES classic s were. Also, for all that's worth it, it's the highest selling TMNT game to this day and the 6th highest selling NES game behind the 3 SMB and the 2 Zelda games only. It served its purpsoe that was cashing on the TMNT franchise. I think Ghostbusters fans had it way worse than us, tbh. Now that's an awful game. And the 2nd one sucks too.

Leo656
03-26-2015, 02:26 PM
Like I said, controls aside, it's not awful, but I'd actually say it's much more been OVER-rated than vilified in recent years.

Fact is, the vast majority of people who played it can't finish it. Love it or hate it, most people can't beat it no matter how bad they want to. That's poor game design. The game has a ton of things wrong with it that makes it impossible to recommend to anyone who is NOT an obsessive TMNT fan. It's only "hard" because the controls aren't very good and the game itself gives you zero direction. Sure, those things were "just part of the experience" of playing games back then, but there's no need nowadays to pretend those problems don't exist, just because it's got the TMNT sticker on it. It's okay. But it's not great, and by no means "the only one worth playing" or whatever.

Prowler
03-26-2015, 02:31 PM
Like I said, controls aside, it's not awful, but I'd actually say it's much more been OVER-rated than vilified in recent years.

Fact is, the vast majority of people who played it can't finish it. Love it or hate it, most people can't beat it no matter how bad they want to. That's poor game design. The game has a ton of things wrong with it that makes it impossible to recommend to anyone who is NOT an obsessive TMNT fan. It's only "hard" because the controls aren't very good and the game itself gives you zero direction. Sure, those things were "just part of the experience" of playing games back then, but there's no need nowadays to pretend those problems don't exist, just because it's got the TMNT sticker on it. It's okay. But it's not great, and by no means "the only one worth playing" or whatever.
People actually rate it highly nowadays? As in claiming it to be some sort of forgotten gem? Really?

Well, as for not being able to beat it(I haven't gotten any further than the airport), that can be said about Ghosts 'N' Goblins, Ninja Gaiden, Battle Toads and Zelda II as well. And those aren't bad games.

And yes the controls and Donatello being pretty much the only Turtle worth playing as in the game were what held it back. Enemies respawning added more insult to the injury. And no one ignores its flaws. it's never been considered a great game and it will never be.

ctt4lfecw
03-26-2015, 03:37 PM
I will always have a soft spot for TMNT '89. Still proud that I beat it. Scrolls are your friend in that game.

oldmanwinters
03-26-2015, 06:09 PM
NES TMNT 1 controls are tight, y'all. Jumping is an art that can be executed with consistency and precision when you get the hang of it. Those who claim it's too difficult aren't worthy of the satisfaction of mastering its gameplay.

*drops mic*

ctt4lfecw
03-26-2015, 06:46 PM
NES TMNT 1 controls are tight, y'all. Jumping is an art that can be executed with consistency and precision when you get the hang of it. Those who claim it's too difficult aren't worthy of the satisfaction of mastering its gameplay.

*drops mic*

here here! amen brudda

Leo656
03-26-2015, 08:08 PM
Hah. Okay. The old, "It's fine, you just suck at it argument."

The jumping is ass.

Wingnut
03-26-2015, 11:18 PM
I'm a TiT man.

DonatelloDomeHead31
05-21-2015, 08:09 AM
Well...I have had the chance to play both & here's my reason why I picked Turtles in Time as the best:

The Intro! Pizza Power playing in the background, you see the Turtles in action as each scene changes. Awesome.

I got as far as Prehistoric Turtlesaurus when I played the Turtles in Time Arcade Game but for the Ninja Turtles Arcade...I think I got as far as Bebop.

TheBlueTurtle1
05-21-2015, 12:08 PM
Turtles in time is better, but the first one means more to me personally. I used to own that arcade machine, and it was the very first arcade game I ever played. Was on holiday in Florida, and and it was in the lobby, right next to altered Beast.

The Fifth Turtle
05-21-2015, 02:28 PM
IMO nothing will probably ever beat Turtles in Time on SNES.

billbot85
06-08-2015, 07:35 PM
TMNT: 1989 for Arcade, Turtles in Time for the SNES. Perhaps I'm biased since I never played the original arcade version of Turtles in Time. :tlol:

Yabuturtle
06-22-2015, 10:12 AM
I honestly think the Turtles in time Arcade game is better. I think it had better music, lots of cool stages, and plus the action was better. You could actually run towards your enemy, it had better special moves and you could throw enemies at the screen which was fun. You also fought my favorite tmnt villain, Krang, twice. I did miss fighting villains from the original like Lt. Granitor and General Tragg. Both were great but I like Turtles in Time better.