PDA

View Full Version : Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles NES Games!

Mew
01-04-2015, 07:45 AM
TMNT NES games! Post your favorite!

TigerClaw
01-04-2015, 08:10 AM
TMNT 2: The Arcade Game and TMNT 3: The Manhattan Project were two of my favorites.

dTKv92ohqzE

jOuFBS5Zm3E

Mew
01-04-2015, 08:22 AM
Cool! I like them too!

Aaronardo
01-04-2015, 09:05 AM
I was extremely lucky one day and found a great listing on eBay for an amazing Buy-It-Now price. I was looking for Nintendo Power magazines, but this guy was listing the two Nintendo Power mags with TMNT as the center of attention along with all 3 NES games. Of course, I jumped on that one.
You're going to hear a LOT of people say that TMNT II: The Arcade Game is their favorite, but I'm not a huge fan of it. I love TMNT III, however. Definitely my second favorite TMNT game, losing to Turtles In Time, of course.

FunkyDoesIt
01-04-2015, 09:42 AM
My favorite is TMNT II arcade game, I played it so often, so much fun!

I played a lot at the first NES game too, but not much fun... :P

http://martianoddity.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/xlarge_tmnt.jpg

Candy Kappa
01-04-2015, 10:00 AM
When it comes to the NES games, I'd say I'm a lot more accustomed to the first Ultra/Konami game, and probably is the one I like the best of them.

Mew
01-04-2015, 10:18 AM
I like Turtles 3. Best NES TMNT game!

oldmanwinters
01-04-2015, 02:32 PM
The original NES game is my favorite. I gave it a run through last night.

pingclang
01-04-2015, 03:11 PM
I'm horrible at video games so the NES games are a nightmare for me but I have to say, I really enjoy III. Something about it's vibe is so different and I just really like it. II has nostalgia so it's definitely close behind.

oldmanwinters
01-04-2015, 03:23 PM
I'm horrible at video games so the NES games are a nightmare for me but I have to say, I really enjoy III. Something about it's vibe is so different and I just really like it. II has nostalgia so it's definitely close behind.

The game really does feature some great character sprites for the NES. The Leatherhead and Tokka battles are especially impressive in their presentation.

MST3KFan
01-04-2015, 04:38 PM
Honestly, I'm a fan of the first game myself on the NES as I remember playing it religiously as a kid when I got to rent it from the local video store. Actually, a story behind it, too...

My Dad and I went to rent some stuff after stopping at the nearby Target for some stuff. I asked the guy who owned/ran the rental place about the new TMNT game for NES. He told me they called the nearby Target asking if it was in, as they tend to get their new games from there whenever they come in, and the employee over the phone told him they didn't have it in.

Of course, having just been there just before, we knew it was indeed in stock. The rental store owner then made a deal with me and my Dad. He'd give us the money to buy the game for his store and I got to rent it for free. (You won't find anyone that trusting in today's world). So he gave my Dad the money, we went back to Target, bought a copy, and brought it back to the rental store, and I got to play TMNT on my NES for free.

I still remember to this day from a magazine how it was a good idea for you to stock up on those magic scrolls you find in Level 3... 99 for each turtle. It makes the whole rest of the game a breeze.

I know of the dread dam level, and yes, it was a pain, but no where near the level of pain as a kid I remember the Turbo Tunnel of Battletoads was.

Davetello
01-04-2015, 11:49 PM
The original game is so underrated it's criminal. And I still don't get how people find the dam so tough.

Leo656
01-05-2015, 12:13 AM
Sh*t, the dam is cake, it's all the damned spiked floors/ceilings where you have no room to jump that'll get ya.

Mew
01-06-2015, 12:04 PM
True! Playing the game online, the dam is easy.
I'm okay at games, and I think its easy, but why do people think its so hard?

Mellie
01-06-2015, 12:22 PM
I love the original NES game, although I haven't beaten it yet. :lol: I can easily get up to the Footclan HQ (I believe?), but then there was some room with spiders and birds and ladders all over the walls and I quit out of stress. :lol: I could probably beat it if I emulated it, but I like playing it from the beginning on my NES. I'll do it someday!

I'm not a fan of beat 'em ups so I can't really get into the other Turtle games.

oldmanwinters
01-07-2015, 09:13 AM
I love the original NES game, although I haven't beaten it yet. :lol: I can easily get up to the Footclan HQ (I believe?), but then there was some room with spiders and birds and ladders all over the walls and I quit out of stress. :lol: I could probably beat it if I emulated it, but I like playing it from the beginning on my NES. I'll do it someday!

I'm not a fan of beat 'em ups so I can't really get into the other Turtle games.

As tough as those buildings are in the Foot HQ, they are optional to the completion of the game. The only reason you even need to go in them is if you want to take the gamble of stocking up on pizza, weapons, or recovering a fallen turtle. Raphael and Donatello are the two most effective turtles against the enemies within the buildings.

If you don't need to enter the buildings, just descend into one of the manholes to search for the Technodrome, which seems to rotate its location at random.

Bry
01-07-2015, 01:28 PM
I've always liked the first NES game a lot more than its reputation. Parts of it are maddening (though I never found the dreaded "seaweed level" to be as bad as everyone said), but it's just a lot more interesting than the beat-em-ups that came after... as great as those are too. There was some variety to it, and some interesting/weird choices throughout, and I definitely replayed it more over the years than the others. I like it a lot, flaws and all. And the music stuck with me a lot.

Try going for a walk around town with this running in your head:

OGIIo1vPvGc

It's stuck there now. You're welcome.

The second game is great, obviously, but it also has to be compared to the arcade game it's a rework of. It's great for what it is, but if I have the option I'll pick the arcade game every time.

The third game is a lot of fun, and I remember the special moves adding a lot to the experience. I actually bought a cartridge of this a few months back but haven't had much chance to play it. Might have to report back!

Mellie
01-07-2015, 03:30 PM
As tough as those buildings are in the Foot HQ, they are optional to the completion of the game. The only reason you even need to go in them is if you want to take the gamble of stocking up on pizza, weapons, or recovering a fallen turtle. Raphael and Donatello are the two most effective turtles against the enemies within the buildings.

If you don't need to enter the buildings, just descend into one of the manholes to search for the Technodrome, which seems to rotate its location at random.

Oh thanks! That's good to know. I'll keep that in mind next time I play.

And whoa, Raphael is actually useful at something in this game? :P

oldmanwinters
01-07-2015, 03:51 PM
Oh thanks! That's good to know. I'll keep that in mind next time I play.

And whoa, Raphael is actually useful at something in this game? :P

I find Raphael considerably more useful than most folks. His weapon isn't quite as powerful as Donatello, but he tends to have higher than expected efficiency against the stronger enemies. The short reach of the sais result in him being prone to taking damage though.

TigerClaw
01-07-2015, 04:31 PM
There was also the NES version of TMNT Tournament Fighters. I only played the SNES one.

cxlzZrNjrCg

oldmanwinters
01-07-2015, 07:38 PM
There was also the NES version of TMNT Tournament Fighters. I only played the SNES one.

TMNT TF is the only dedicated one-on-one fighter I can recall for the NES. Other games like Double Dragon featured a Vs mode, but TMNT might have been the unique release for the system in North America. All things considered, the game is pretty well made for 8-bit fighting. The classic Konami sound effects add a lot to the overall experience. I'm proud to have owned a copy ever since it first came out.

Leo656
01-07-2015, 11:09 PM
I definitely "enjoy" the first game but I'm kinda crummy at it and I don't have the patience to ever beat it. I've given up on that particular "White Whale". I've gotten pretty far but I can't do it.

Especially because I always insist on "keeping it real" and playing on an authentic NES cartridge. Getting 90% into it and then getting a random freeze-up is demoralizing.

Sumac
01-08-2015, 12:21 AM
TMNT TF is the only dedicated one-on-one fighter I can recall for the NES.
There was also Yie-Ar-Kung Fu from Konami.

TMNT3: Manhattan Project is my favorite TMNT game ever. Awesome graphics, music, gameplay, levels, bosses.

Though, I also, love the first game. It's unique and interesting. Not really maddening and difficult, if you know what are you doing. Half of the problem is figure out where you need to go on the map. There is a lot of optional stuff you can do in the levels, but it's not required in order to complete them.

In Foot base there is no need to go through the entire warehouse. You can just pick up pizza on the first floor, exit buiding and than return - pizza will be there once again.

massakre
03-03-2015, 12:47 PM
I can still recall getting TMNT III: Manhattan Project and Tecmo Super Bowl simultaneously.. best.. gifts.. ever

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
03-03-2015, 12:58 PM
I could never beat any of the original NES games... :tcry:

But I rocked at SuperNES Turtles in Time. It was honestly too easy. I would love to have another crack at TMNT II or III, though. You guys say they're available to play online? :teek:

DonatelloDomeHead31
03-03-2015, 04:47 PM
Well...I would say Manhattan Project was my favorite NES game. Liked the music in most of the levels.

Got as far as facing Tokka on the roof before I lost all my lives.

Didn't get a chance to play the NES Tournament Fighters, but looked at its graphics--not too bad.

NES Ninja Turtles--hated that Water Dam level!

STORMSHADOW__210
03-05-2015, 03:19 PM
I recently picked up the complete tmnt nes trilogy on ebay for my retron 5. Part 2 was a childhood favorite but never played one and three...until now. Part 3 looked great in hd on the retron 5, very cool and unique game with the beach/ vacation backdrop. Still havent played part one yet.

I think part 2 will always be #1 for me aside from genesis hyperstone heist and turtles in time

TigerClaw
03-05-2015, 03:42 PM
I recently picked up the complete tmnt nes trilogy on ebay for my retron 5. Part 2 was a childhood favorite but never played one and three...until now. Part 3 looked great in hd on the retron 5, very cool and unique game with the beach/ vacation backdrop. Still havent played part one yet.

I think part 2 will always be #1 for me aside from genesis hyperstone heist and turtles in time
2 and 3 were great, Though I remember entering the codes to get extra lives or something, The games got harder as you progress through the levels.

STORMSHADOW__210
03-05-2015, 04:11 PM
i heard part one was rediculously hard, but i got a save states and cheats on my retron 5 so i can just blaze through it

mexichrist83
03-05-2015, 07:41 PM
I have "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" "The Arcade Game" and "The Manhattan Project" and I love all three for different reasons. TMNT and TAG are nostalgic for me (obviously based on my avatar) because I owned both as a kid and played the hell out of them. I remember how insanely accomplished I felt the first time I beat the underwater level in the first TMNT game haha! I never owned TMP as a kid and playing it as an adult really made me wish that it was a game I had as a kid. How I didn't have TMP one as a kid is beyond me but I'm glad I own it now. Now I just need to get "Tournament Fighters" (another TMNT NES game I never owned as a kid)!

massakre
03-16-2015, 10:11 AM
it just doesnt get any better than the down button + B "toss move" on TMP :lol:

inksb
03-23-2015, 08:52 AM
Honestly, I'm a fan of the first game myself on the NES as I remember playing it religiously as a kid when I got to rent it from the local video store. Actually, a story behind it, too...

My Dad and I went to rent some stuff after stopping at the nearby Target for some stuff. I asked the guy who owned/ran the rental place about the new TMNT game for NES. He told me they called the nearby Target asking if it was in, as they tend to get their new games from there whenever they come in, and the employee over the phone told him they didn't have it in.

Of course, having just been there just before, we knew it was indeed in stock. The rental store owner then made a deal with me and my Dad. He'd give us the money to buy the game for his store and I got to rent it for free. (You won't find anyone that trusting in today's world). So he gave my Dad the money, we went back to Target, bought a copy, and brought it back to the rental store, and I got to play TMNT on my NES for free.

I still remember to this day from a magazine how it was a good idea for you to stock up on those magic scrolls you find in Level 3... 99 for each turtle. It makes the whole rest of the game a breeze.

I know of the dread dam level, and yes, it was a pain, but no where near the level of pain as a kid I remember the Turbo Tunnel of Battletoads was.
Yeah that dam level was a bitch but I got really good at it as a kid. I could usually beat it while only losing one turtle normally. Unfortunately I could never figure out the next area and I always ended up losing the rest of the turtles.

As for me 2 was my favorite NES game but 3 is amazing, I could never find a copy to buy, just a rental once in a while. Although I played it the most at a friend of my fathers house.

inksb
03-23-2015, 08:55 AM
I have "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" "The Arcade Game" and "The Manhattan Project" and I love all three for different reasons. TMNT and TAG are nostalgic for me (obviously based on my avatar) because I owned both as a kid and played the hell out of them. I remember how insanely accomplished I felt the first time I beat the underwater level in the first TMNT game haha! I never owned TMP as a kid and playing it as an adult really made me wish that it was a game I had as a kid. How I didn't have TMP one as a kid is beyond me but I'm glad I own it now. Now I just need to get "Tournament Fighters" (another TMNT NES game I never owned as a kid)!
Tournament Fighters is better on SNES, unless you are just looking for a complete TMNT set on the NES.

Prowler
03-23-2015, 05:04 PM
Manhattan Project is the best TMNT NES game by far. After TMNT 2 failed to give NES owners a good Turtle beat 'em experience at home, Ultra Games/Konami fixed it with The Manhattan project. Solid beat 'em up with a fair difficulty and fun stages.

The first game ever not only is insanely difficult but it also has crappy controls. Jumping can be a pain. Also goddamn respawning enemies. It had a good concept such as 1 Turtle = 1 Life unlike most other games where you're only allowed to play as one turtle for each playthrough or every turtle sharing the same health bar like in Battle Nexus(wtf). Also it wasn't a side-scrolling beat 'em up like pretty much every other TMNT game since then. But man, the game was way too hard and the controls were crappy. Not to mention Raphael and Michelangelo being pretty much useless due to the short range of their weapons.

TMNT 2 is a port of the arcade game. Obviously the NES was way technically inferior to the Arcade. Also, they made the levels larger and even added a snow and an Asian themed(the one with a shogun as a boss) level.. It just made it tedious. Manhattan project was what this game should have been. A port of an Arcade game was always gonna look weak on the NES in comparison to the original version.

As for the NES version of the Tournament Fighters. The NES didn't have many fighting games, so I'll give them props for bringing something new to the console, but the game really doesn't hold your interest much after a few minutes. The Genesis/MD version wasn't that good either. SNES had the best version by far but it's still an average fighter. It is fun, though.

pain101
04-20-2015, 03:41 PM
I love all of the TMNT NES games. My fourth birthday party was at chuck e. Cheese's. My cousin and I played the arcade game the entire time. I remember getting ace duck figure as one of my gifts. Good memories. It was such a big deal to me when the arcade game was released on the NES.

DonatelloDomeHead31
04-28-2015, 07:59 AM
I forgot to mention the NES Arcade Game--Ninja Turtles II.

All I remember with that game was the product placement--Pizza Hut. You could see it when you're in the Snow Level & I believe it's hidden on the walls in April's Apartment in the first level.

I think I got as far as Baxter before I couldn't make it to the end.

Speaking of the end--someone remind me, when you face Shredder and his "double" appears, which one do you fight?

Redeemer
04-28-2015, 04:53 PM
Manhatten Project is definitely my favorite. I wish they would have made a comic or cartoon story arc based on the game.

ctt4lfecw
05-08-2015, 08:57 PM
I will always love the first NES game. TMNT '89. I felt so good beating it.

ctt4lfecw
05-08-2015, 09:03 PM
I forgot to mention the NES Arcade Game--Ninja Turtles II.

All I remember with that game was the product placement--Pizza Hut. You could see it when you're in the Snow Level & I believe it's hidden on the walls in April's Apartment in the first level.

I think I got as far as Baxter before I couldn't make it to the end.

Speaking of the end--someone remind me, when you face Shredder and his "double" appears, which one do you fight?

^
the one after his helmet falls off. you want to knock that helmet off asap because of the cheap as hell retro-mutagen gun

Logan
05-11-2015, 07:14 PM
The original game is so underrated it's criminal. And I still don't get how people find the dam so tough.

Agreed. Compared to the three levels after it, it's a damn cakewalk.

billbot85
06-08-2015, 07:48 PM
I love TMNT II and III on the NES, with III being my favorite. Those are the only two I've been successful in beating on the NES. I still haven't been able to beat TMNT I, but maybe I'll make it happen this summer.

Sumac
06-09-2015, 05:30 AM
Manhattan Project is my favorite TMNT game of all time.
TMNT'89 takes the second place.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-12-2015, 10:28 AM
Was playing TMNT III again last night and I STILL can't beat that f***ing game. Damn it's hard.

Anyone got any cheat codes or something? I'm serious, it bugs me that I can't beat a TMNT game. Like I'm failing as a fan or something. :tlol:

TigerClaw
06-12-2015, 10:38 AM
Was playing TMNT III again last night and I STILL can't beat that f***ing game. Damn it's hard.

Anyone got any cheat codes or something? I'm serious, it bugs me that I can't beat a TMNT game. Like I'm failing as a fan or something. :tlol:
The Konami Code should work.

Hidden Options Menu
While at the Title Screen. Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, A, B, Start

You should be able to Select any level, change the difficulty, and change the number of players.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/ODcRQCQI38k/hqdefault.jpg

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-12-2015, 10:45 AM
The Konami Code should work.

Hidden Options Menu
While at the Title Screen. Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, A, B, Start

You should be able to Select any level, change the difficulty, and change the number of players.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/ODcRQCQI38k/hqdefault.jpg

I love you so much, man. :thyper::tparty:

TigerClaw
06-12-2015, 10:50 AM
I love you so much, man. :thyper::tparty:
You're welcome. :tsmile:

oceanfr
08-08-2015, 10:02 PM
Maybe the first cause it was a classic first one was a classic kind of more action adventure rpg. The 2nd is arcade and scrolling

troy_225
09-26-2015, 12:32 PM

cxlzZrNjrCg

I had this game at one time. Didn't think too much about it so I traded it at a local video game store. Come to find out years later the game sells for $100 on eBay/amazon etc. Smh

SkolNation26
09-26-2015, 07:36 PM
I love TMNT II and III on the NES, with III being my favorite. Those are the only two I've been successful in beating on the NES. I still haven't been able to beat TMNT I, but maybe I'll make it happen this summer.

Best of luck! I have that game and LOVE it dearly. It's maybe my fave game all-time! But admittedly I have never beaten it. When I was a kid I could hardly ever get past the dam stage (underwater level). Now I get by that stage pretty handidly but the next map takes so long to beat that once I get to tha air-port map I have few lives/very little damage left, usually hardly any continues (if any at all) left and even littler time left as I have now spent a grand chunk of my day getting to this point...AHHHH!!! But for some reason I still LOVE that game!! Haha

SkolNation26
09-26-2015, 07:44 PM
So everyone is talking about TMNT III/Manhattan Project game like it is great, but I never had the opportunity to play this one somehow. Now I look to buy he NES cartridge online and it's expensive as heck for an NES game! Anybody know where to find a good price on this classic time forgot during my childhood?? I would love to own/play it!!