PDA

View Full Version : [Suggestion] Bayturtles Subsection

Powder
01-05-2015, 12:15 AM
I think we should have a sub-section within the movie section devoted exclusively to the modern Platinum Dunes films, in the way that we have collection/custom sections within the toy section.

Why? Because the bulk of the movie section has been overrun with threads about the film, while all of the old school stuff (including TMNT) is getting lost. It's a bustling topic & it's only going to get more & more spotlight as the sequels roll out. Yes, all of the movies have been co-existing peacefully in one section up until now, but I don't think it's working so well anymore...

The movie section on a whole has been locked twice now, & that unfortunately is a consequence that is unfair to those of us who wish to discuss the 4 other movies, as well as associated content (props, the numerous films that were not produced, documentaries, fan films, etc). I have no doubt in my mind that the drama related to this new controversial series of films will continue to occur, regardless of any policing, banning, new members, etc, & as such, there may end up being periodical cool-down periods, such as this, where once again, discussion of the other movies is nuked in the process. That time-out session should not affect any threads but those it pertains to.

I realize nowadays the section is almost exclusively used to talk about the new stuff, but prior to that, it was still quite lively with threads about the rest . I feel it would return to that state if the old & new were kept separate, & having the two apart would likely make keeping a watch over things easier for the mods. I know the power to make this happen ultimately rests with Krang, who seems to be wholly MIA as of late, but how does everyone else feel about this idea?

Also, further incentive, ban the worst offenders from that sole section alone, so that they can still wax vintage flicks but not cause trouble.

Davetello
01-05-2015, 12:19 AM
Yes, I agree. I made a post a while ago about how it was annoying to try and find threads about the original film.

This is something I thought could have happened as well. Great suggestion. It makes a lot of sense since the new film is very topical and will naturally dominate the section. The section could cover all of the Bay films, present and future.

Leo656
01-05-2015, 12:22 AM
Seeing as how it was MY Idea to start with I think it's just grand. :P

In seriousness though, I think it's the best way to go. Why should anyone be barred from discussing Judith Hoag's calves in the appropriate forum just because other people can't play nice with regards to the new flick? I think a section for "classic movies" and "modern movies" is probably the best way to proceed at this point. Can't hurt.

IndigoErth
01-05-2015, 12:25 AM
Agree if it would certainly help give a specific section a time out if needed rather than the entire movie section.

Edit: Although personally I would just advise against taking an "our section, movie criticism is unwelcome" clubhouse kind of mentality. Fights are clearly not going to end over this any time soon and all opinions, imo, are valid and have the right to be stated whether agreed with or not. Splitting it up however to avoid punishing the previous movies from being discussed would be a plus. (Unless of course the sequel pulls off a miracle and brings peace across the lands... lol)

Autbot_Benz
01-05-2015, 12:27 AM
I agree with this too that way everyone can be happy.

pennydreadful
01-05-2015, 12:36 AM
Defs - I think it's a great idea. Particularly with BayTurtles Part 2 coming up; it'd be nice to be able to check out threads on classic movie stuff without having to hear about the latest developments on the new ones for those who aren't interested.

Commenter 42
01-05-2015, 12:56 AM
I think it might be best to break the subsection, into a subsection of said subsection.

The fighting ensues as a direct result of the forever war of Pro v. Con, (stating the obvious I know :P ) so I don't think lumping the two together in one place will work out in the end. To be honest, speaking for myself, it would be nice to still have conversations with others without the chirping from the opposing side looking to pick a fight, which lately is the spark of unrest.

B-Man
01-05-2015, 01:34 AM
it would be nice to still have conversations with others without the chirping from the opposing side looking to pick a fight, which lately is the spark of unrest.

I'm pretty sure you having a go at me about Gary Oldman was the reason it was closed again yesterday :lol: I was enjoying that discussion too. I think a mod just took a glance at it and thought Argument Alert. We were having a discussion. Christ, I'm paranoid to even bring it up in case this gets closed... :roll:

Davetello
01-05-2015, 01:39 AM
I'm pretty sure you having a go at me about Gary Oldman was the reason it was closed again yesterday :lol: I was enjoying that discussion too. I think a mod just took a glance at it and thought Argument Alert. We were having a discussion. Christ, I'm paranoid to even bring it up in case this gets closed... :roll:

Locked quicker than my bumhole when Graham Norton is around.

Commenter 42
01-05-2015, 01:39 AM

But I think you knew I was ribbing you. It wasn't mean spirited, obviously. I think things get twisted here every now and again.

Healthy debate is FUN, no? And I still don't understand Oldman as Krang...

I said nothing! Don't lock the thread, I'll be good! :lol::lol:

Davetello
01-05-2015, 01:42 AM
Stop being so civil to each other. I just went and got some tomato soup & hot chocolate. Start hurling abuse at each other so I can enjoy it more. Just for ten minutes, then you can go back to being friendly.

Please?

Commenter 42
01-05-2015, 01:47 AM
Maybe we just need to start a social group? Like AA? Arguments Anonymous?

B-Man
01-05-2015, 01:54 AM
Healthy debate is FUN, no?

That's what I'm saying, I love a good debate. But now I'm paranoid to participate when I come back & see the whole section is on lockdown because of it, which doesn't benefit anyone :ohwell: Yeah let's go start Arguments Anonymous where we can freely scream the house down over who should voice cartoon characters :lol:

Davetello
01-05-2015, 01:56 AM
How about TWATS

Total Wankers And Their Sh!t

Or PRICKS

People Revelling In Completely Killing Self-esteem

Refractive Reflections
01-05-2015, 02:03 AM
I agree with this too that there should be a sub-forum within the movie section for the Bay Turtles since these films are the most polarizing issue of the TMNT franchise and it's only going to get more intense with an upcoming sequel.

Davetello
01-05-2015, 02:04 AM
I agree with this too that there should be a sub-forum within the movie section for the Bay Turtles since these films are the most polarizing issue of the TMNT franchise and it's only going to get more intense with an upcoming sequel.

Shut up you bellend.

(Just trying to fittingly capture the spirit of the section in question).

Powder
01-05-2015, 02:07 AM
Let's try to keep at least one thread on topic, guys.

Davetello
01-05-2015, 02:09 AM
More spins on Argument Anonymous

BASTARDS

Big Annoying Scumbags Terminally Annihilating Really Depressed Saddos

WANKERS

Where All Notorious Kombatants Eviscerate Rage Suppression

Sorry Powder, that's my last jokey post.

I don't really know what's more to say though? Everyone agrees it's a great idea and should be put into action. The results are unanimous.

Refractive Reflections
01-05-2015, 02:18 AM
Shut up you bellend.

(Just trying to fittingly capture the spirit of the section in question).

"Oh yeah?!? You're not a true Turtle fan Davetello!!!!"

(:lol::lol::lol: It's hilarious how that statement is used so often. ...Like my sig says about this place being a soap opera! :lol:)

Davetello
01-05-2015, 02:23 AM
Yeah, I didn't like the film but I don't subscribe to the idea that anyone who did isn't a real fan. Them liking and supporting the film may be detrimental to the franchise's future, depending on what you want from it, but that's a completely different matter.

Commenter 42
01-05-2015, 02:27 AM
More spins on Argument Anonymous

BASTARDS

Big Annoying Scumbags Terminally Annihilating Really Depressed Saddos

WANKERS

Where All Notorious Kombatants Eviscerate Rage Suppression

Sorry Powder, that's my last jokey post.

I don't really know what's more to say though? Everyone agrees it's a great idea and should be put into action. The results are unanimous.

I'm up for any and all of those names. Create a group, or call me them. Your pleasure.

In other words, maybe someone take a sec to start the social group thingy, and let's get on with it. Would save the mods stress right? Or no?

Somebody do something, I'm arguing with myself over here!

Davetello
01-05-2015, 02:31 AM
Haha, to be honest I'm not really a part of the arguments over the film. However, groups like that, where people just rage at each other and ad hominems are actively encouraged as part of the group would be pretty funny.

Commenter 42
01-05-2015, 02:37 AM
Someone call Penny. She'll know what to do.

pennydreadful
01-05-2015, 03:19 AM
Me? I'm the rallying point for filth and depravity, not BayTurtles! :lol:

Davetello
01-05-2015, 03:23 AM
What about SummerBayTurtles? Not far from you.

Commenter 42
01-05-2015, 03:30 AM
Me? I'm the rallying point for filth and depravity, not BayTurtles! :lol:

No no nonono, lol...
We want an arguments group, for the movie. I mean, I think we do.
Do we? Man, I don't even know anymore. This has gotten so confusing.

Look I just want to tell B-man he's wrong about everything, an hurl expletives at him because he likes it (not the movie, having expletives hurled, of course! :D ). Can we make a place to do that?

pennydreadful
01-05-2015, 03:41 AM
What happens when sh*t gets nasty though? How does it stay controlled if it's in a group? We all know how nutty these arguments can get... :ohwell: and Laird knows I wouldn't want to pseudo-mod any such discussion group; I don't have the temperament for it.

Commenter 42
01-05-2015, 04:04 AM
What happens when sh*t gets nasty though? How does it stay controlled if it's in a group? We all know how nutty these arguments can get... :ohwell: and Laird knows I wouldn't want to pseudo-mod any such discussion group; I don't have the temperament for it.

Well I'm all out of ideas.

Davetello
01-05-2015, 04:11 AM
"Laird knows" :lol:

Belter.

Panda_Kahn_fan
01-05-2015, 11:14 AM
I hate to say this, but...

Create a subforum for the movie lovers, seal the haters off.

Create a subforum for the haters, wall off the movie lovers.

Any posts that cause trouble in either section are deleted.

IndigoErth
01-05-2015, 02:08 PM
What happens when sh*t gets nasty though?
Someone gets mad then they can just stomp off and go sulk in the general forums. :P

I hate to say this, but...

Create a subforum for the movie lovers, seal the haters off.

Create a subforum for the haters, wall off the movie lovers.

Any posts that cause trouble in either section are deleted.
But...but... what about the many who are kinda in-between? Those who wish to discuss it but might find extreme levels of both cheerleading and criticism equally obnoxious. They who wish to talk about both things they like and dislike. [I]Where do they go... No lover or hater section is going to tolerate their lukewarm position. :trazz:
http://i.imgur.com/IWLUjj7.gif

plastroncafe
01-05-2015, 02:10 PM
I kind of love the idea of the Hate/Love specific forums.
That way people, who like myself, aren't either can avoid the wingnuts from both.

Panda_Kahn_fan
01-05-2015, 03:27 PM
But as it stands now, neither side has a safe haven to discuss their views with other people without being attacked by the other side.

Powder
01-05-2015, 03:31 PM
That's not true. Samxsteal or one of those guys created a social group for those who want only positive discussion & last I saw it had 40+ members. Creating separate sections is a terrible idea as it only serves to further divide the groups instead of teaching them to play nice. The last thing this forum needs is more cliques & "Us vs Them" nonsense.

Donatello19
01-05-2015, 03:32 PM
I agree, it sounds like this would be a lot more organized.

TheSkeletonMan939
01-05-2015, 04:15 PM
It could work. All it'll do is funnel the pointless bickering into one specific section, but since that's simply become the purpose of the Movie forum as of late I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Seriously.

plastroncafe
01-05-2015, 04:15 PM
That's not true. Samxsteal or one of those guys created a social group for those who want only positive discussion & last I saw it had 40+ members. Creating separate sections is a terrible idea as it only serves to further divide the groups instead of teaching them to play nice. The last thing this forum needs is more cliques & "Us vs Them" nonsense.

This is a great point that I hadn't considered.
I repeal my support of the idea until I've had the chance to mentally chew on it further.

Candy Kappa
01-05-2015, 04:28 PM
The cartoon shows have their own sections, it might be for the best that Platinum Dunes/Viacom get their own.

Cure
01-05-2015, 04:39 PM
The cartoon shows have their own sections, it might be for the best that Platinum Dunes/Viacom get their own.

This is my reasoning, too.

Prowler
01-05-2015, 05:42 PM
I'm okay with this.

Man, who'd have thought that a TMNT movie could cause a civil war? I guess the Turtles just have that effect on people.

Panda_Kahn_fan
01-05-2015, 06:28 PM

Well, nobody ever posts over in that group, it's been dead since the movie was released. I think most people are used to posting on a board, and I still think split boards might be best.

Powder
01-05-2015, 06:41 PM
Segregation solves nothing, though. American society is proof of that. & it'd be a waste of bandwidth to have 2 threads for every topic, just with different spins on it. I mean, really, that's completely absurd. Making social groups serves that function. Folks can have a "Bayfilm skeptics" group & the other one that Samxsteal made, if y'all so desire. But the new property itself still warrants it's own section, & clearly the vote is unanimous on that.

Bry
01-05-2015, 06:43 PM
Yup, great idea. There were plenty of good conversations going about the older movies that got snuffed out because of completely unrelated drama. BayTurtles is gonna keep being controversial. I agree that "quarantining" that discussion would work better than shutting down all movie-talk.

In seriousness though, I think it's the best way to go. Why should anyone be barred from discussing Judith Hoag's calves in the appropriate forum just because other people can't play nice with regards to the new flick?

Alternate idea: leave movie forums as-is, but add "Judith Hoag's Calves" subsection.

To be honest, speaking for myself, it would be nice to still have conversations with others without the chirping from the opposing side looking to pick a fight, which lately is the spark of unrest.

I mean, yeah, that'd be ideal. The pro and con threads were a decent idea too, at least to try to defuse some tension... but even that didn't work out too well in practice. Some posters couldn't resist stomping into "enemy territory" or baiting people in one or the other. Or both.

We should be able to have civil debates or poke a bit of fun at/about the thing, for or against. But it's gone nuclear so often that we can't even have that. Some folks just don't have a sense of humour or sarcasm detectors, and then the knives come out.

I seriously doubt it'd ever get to the point it has if it weren't for a handful who just can't deal with other perspectives/opinions. On both "sides", sure - but I don't want a place that's aggressively positive any more than aggressively negative. Shouldn't be so hard to live with the balance this place naturally has, right? Separating groups or shutting down the whole area doesn't solve the actual problem.

Panda_Kahn_fan
01-05-2015, 07:05 PM
Segregation solves nothing, though. American society is proof of that. & it'd be a waste of bandwidth to have 2 threads for every topic, just with different spins on it. I mean, really, that's completely absurd. Making social groups serves that function. Folks can have a "Bayfilm skeptics" group & the other one that Samxsteal made, if y'all so desire. But the new property itself still warrants it's own section, & clearly the vote is unanimous on that.

Fair enough, but I wonder if the two sides can get along. Oh, and if anyone else from the movie group is here start posting over there!

Machias Banshee
01-05-2015, 08:04 PM
I do like the idea of the Bayturtle Subsection. It would be a smaller location to control, and you'd be able to continue discussing other movies - or Judith Hoag's bodyparts, if that's what floats your boat. :P . We could also assign a person to be in charge of moderating that section, should any of the other mods happen to be unavailable.

The bickering is bound to continue, especially with the oncoming sequel. People just need to learn to take a breath and step back. The Personal attacks on each other is what gets things locked up. And coming here after a 12 hour work day to 27 reported posts does not make it enjoyable at all....

Ninjinister
01-05-2015, 08:14 PM
I'm surprised people are still using the term "Bayturtles" :/

The bickering is bound to continue, especially with the oncoming sequel. People just need to learn to take a breath and step back. The Personal attacks on each other is what gets things locked up. And coming here after a 12 hour work day to 27 reported posts does not make it enjoyable at all....

D'aw. Here, have one of these. They work wonders

https://31.media.tumblr.com/37bd6df6ec7b755cb2361aea55779cb6/tumblr_inline_n4pytbVmbM1r2s2hw.png

Powder
01-05-2015, 08:17 PM
Fair enough, but I wonder if the two sides can get along. Oh, and if anyone else from the movie group is here start posting over there!

I'd like to think they can, as a whole, but there's no denying that probably about 5 from either side have a perpetual cat fight going on. :tlol: Outside of that, most people say their opinion & go on their merry way. As far as that group is concerned though, perhaps you ought to send a mass PM out. You can send PM's to multiple recipients, so if you feel there are certain members of the group who'd make for good contributors of lively discussion, remind them it exists.

Commenter 42
01-05-2015, 08:38 PM
In the meantime, would it be useful to have a sticky in the movie section, directing traffic to said groups? I don't think us haters have a group, as yet, (may as well just own the word at this point right?) and I'm not entirely sure how you make one, but I'm sure someone will figure it out. :ohwell:

Do mods need to mod the groups? If not, that could take a load off of them?

pennydreadful
01-05-2015, 09:59 PM
I think it would be a good idea to have a long-term member who's online a lot of the time at least be able to edit posts, just to keep things running smoothly/stamp out little fires before they turn into big ones.

As Machias has said, the arguing isn't going to stop - especially with the sequel coming up.

Krang
01-08-2015, 02:44 PM
Sorry for the late reply. This is a great idea, and I'm currently working with the mods on getting this set up.

snake
01-08-2015, 03:08 PM
Sorry for the late reply. This is a great idea, and I'm currently working with the mods on getting this set up.

Cool. Thanks Krang.

Powder
01-08-2015, 03:18 PM

That's awesome to hear! & I'm glad you're still around in some capacity, hope all is well.

DarthRaphael
01-08-2015, 07:02 PM
Bayturtle discussion has moved here - http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43

Powder
01-08-2015, 07:36 PM
I took notice, & that's awesome, I've even posted in a new thread there... but then I realized that all of the threads are still locked. So are we going to continue with the cool-down period for a while or what? Just wondering. I wouldn't have posted in that thread had I realized things were still off-limits to some extent.

DarthRaphael
01-08-2015, 07:39 PM
The mods have to move all of the appropriate threads. I'm not sure how much work that is. The forum should be fully functional soon.

Powder
01-08-2015, 07:41 PM
Well, I guess more to the point, I'm asking if we are allowed to create new threads despite the present lock-down. I myself have no plans to at this time but I imagine others do.

DarthRaphael
01-08-2015, 08:21 PM
The new thread restriction has been lifted. I don't see the forum announcement anymore.

BubblyShell22
01-09-2015, 03:33 PM
This is a good idea, and I'm glad it's been implemented so that others can talk about the older movies as well.

oldmanwinters
01-09-2015, 07:48 PM
Somebody really should have titled the subsection "Turtles' Bay Watch"

TigerClaw
01-09-2015, 08:12 PM
I'm surprised people are still using the term "Bayturtles" :/
Yeah, It's as annoying as Bayformers.

BubblyShell22
01-10-2015, 02:52 PM
Somebody really should have titled the subsection "Turtles' Bay Watch"

Oh man, I would die if someone actually did this.

IndigoErth
01-10-2015, 03:54 PM
:lol: Needs fan art. They wear clothing now... Baywatch swim trunks would be totally appropriate.