PDA

View Full Version : Why is there so much hate toward Iggy Azalea?

Refractive Reflections
01-05-2015, 03:37 AM
So what exactly do people have against her? I mean she makes pop rap, but there have been rap artists before who have done that style of "Glam Rap" (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GlamRap). Plus I hear the criticism that she doesn't write her own lyrics, but she has co-writing credits on all of her tracks on her album "The New Classic" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_New_Classic#Track_listing). ...So what's the story on this? :-?

Davetello
01-05-2015, 03:39 AM
Never even heard of her, mate.

Candy Kappa
01-05-2015, 03:39 AM
I've seen freestyle memes about her?

pennydreadful
01-05-2015, 04:17 AM
She's a gross, racist piece of trash. Her entire career is built on cultural appropriation, and she then turns around and unapologetically sh*ts on minorities. She's an ignorant little twit who's constantly saying racist things and then refuses to apologize when she gets called out on it.

Just google 'Iggy Azalea racist', or look at a handful of some of her gross past tweets here: http://bossip.com/1035394/fancy-racist-a-gallery-of-iggy-azaleas-most-controversial-tweets/

pandaderek
01-05-2015, 05:45 AM
She's a gross, racist piece of trash. Her entire career is built on cultural appropriation, and she then turns around and unapologetically sh*ts on minorities. She's an ignorant little twit who's constantly saying racist things and then refuses to apologize when she gets called out on it.

Just google 'Iggy Azalea racist', or look at a handful of some of her gross past tweets here: http://bossip.com/1035394/fancy-racist-a-gallery-of-iggy-azaleas-most-controversial-tweets/

What she said, basically.

I'm a hip hop fan, I've studied it and experienced it. Iggy Azalea is not respected by the hip hop community because she gives no respect to the whole culture of hip hop. She mocks what she is fond of and negates all of its history...Hip Hop comes from African American struggles, a reaction to systematic racism and none of that is reflected in her art. But, she's not the, only, one that deserves to be spit on by hip hop fans...pretty much, most rappers on that get radio-play, that is not Kendrick Lamar, can eat a bag of d!cks. Most, just, develop the skill to rap and try to tie some privileged struggle to equate the root struggles in Hip Hop...it contributes to destroying Black culture in American, just, like Rock & Roll music was.

Slade
01-06-2015, 08:41 PM
Never heard a thing from her, and I still can't say that last name. Maybe I should ask someone in real life. Ha.

I axtually listen to rap though. Not new sh*t really cus that's garbage. So she yeah.

snake
01-06-2015, 10:32 PM
I....I thought she was black when I first heard her on the radio.

Why so much hate? Her music's pretty generic.

pennydreadful
01-06-2015, 11:44 PM
She's a racist, suburban little white girl from Australia who play-acts at being a rapper (complete with putting on a fake accent when she "raps"). She represents everything that is execrable and cringeworthy about whitewashed hiphop that's pimped to the masses by greedy record companies.

And for the record, I'm not saying that white people can't rap - far from it. But when you take from black musical styles, use it to climb to the top of the heap and then turn around and sh*t on people of color with racially insensitive remarks, and give nothing back to the rap community... then I have a problem. She disrespects the people and the culture who birthed the musical style that put her where she is.

I mean hell, I know sod-all about rap and hiphop and I'm sure others can weigh in on it better (and more eloquently) than I, but yeah. My two cents.

Cure
01-06-2015, 11:51 PM
I like her songs and I think she has a great ass.

pennydreadful
01-07-2015, 12:15 AM
Yeah, I've got zero to say about her music as I've never heard her songs. My problem is with her attitude.

As far as her... other assets go, no comment. :lol:

Jester
01-07-2015, 12:18 AM
All I know is when she was the musical guest on SNL it left me wanting to listen to this to clear my palate:
eXiwYUCe_bY

Cure
01-07-2015, 06:32 PM
This thread reminds me of this video I saw a few months ago.

eGgj9S8XO7k

I agree with him. Getting mad for "cultural appropriation" is dumb.

Prowler
01-07-2015, 11:45 PM
Isn't "cultural appropriation" something natural? I mean, we live in a globalized world. Ofc cultures are gonna influence others. Also, if you google "culture appropriation" you'll get tumblr links on the first page. If tumblr rages about it then it's just a molehill being made a mountain of, most likely.

Cure
01-08-2015, 01:02 AM
Isn't "cultural appropriation" something natural? I mean, we live in a globalized world. Ofc cultures are gonna influence others. Also, if you google "culture appropriation" you'll get tumblr links on the first page. If tumblr rages about it then it's just a molehill being made a mountain of, most likely.

Yeah, also good points.

Refractive Reflections
01-08-2015, 01:29 AM
This thread reminds me of this video I saw a few months ago.

I agree with him. Getting mad for "cultural appropriation" is dumb.

Apparently I guess the word has trickled down into the academic lexicon because with No Doubt's "Looking Hot" music video, there's was a lot of controversy with it where the band had taken it down a day after releasing it (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Looking_Hot#Music_video). Even the American Indian Studies Center in UCLA, wrote a open-letter about the video using the word "cultural appropriation": http://turtletalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/open-letter-nodoubt.pdf

As for the actual music video, it can be found here and people can judge for themselves:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xvigc8_no-doubt-looking-hot-oficial-video_music

My position is, society (in general) is hypocritically selective about being offended by "cultural appropriation". I mean where was this same level of societal anger when it came to Katy Perry using Ancient Egyptian culture for her Dark Horse music video (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Horse_%28Katy_Perry_song%29#Reception)? Or how about when music artists use Catholic imagery (i.e. Lady Gaga in "Alejandro")? How about when college parties have "toga" parties or parties where people dress as European royalty?

It's a very slippery slope of logic, but if somebody's going to be wielding that term, I think that same person should apply it to incidents of any culture being "culturally appropriated"; otherwise double standards are formed. ...And isn't that what society is supposedly trying to avoid in the first place?

pennydreadful
01-08-2015, 04:15 AM
There's a difference between cultural appropriation and cultural exchange, or even cultural appreciation.

I'd go into lecture mode, but y'all can look it up yourselves if you're interested. *shrugs*

IndigoErth
01-08-2015, 04:51 AM
or look at a handful of some of her gross past tweets here: http://bossip.com/1035394/fancy-racist-a-gallery-of-iggy-azaleas-most-controversial-tweets/
Not a clue who this woman is other than hearing the name in passing, but based on that, what a disgusting human being.

It should be legal to toss certain people into a wood chipper... http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy151/msj1997tx/Skype%20Emoticons/emoticon-0122-itwasntme.gif~original

Edit: Looked her up on YouTube, makes me curious what her mix of backup dancers think... if anyone were to ever give her a slight beat down on stage one night, well I couldn't blame them and might be strangely satisfying.

Gunpowder
01-08-2015, 06:06 AM
I like her songs and I think she has a great ass.

To make up for her nonexistent cleavage. :tlol: But in seriousness, I don't mind her. My favorite song is the one where she goes, "workin on ma shiiiiiiiyt." Pretty sure it's called "Work." Not usually a fan of rap, especially mainstream, but I can dig her.

Amaranthus
01-09-2015, 04:01 PM
I don't like pop music.
I'm cool like that.
8)

snake
01-09-2015, 08:36 PM
It should be legal to toss certain people into a wood chipper... [url]http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy151/msj1997tx/Skype%20Emoticons/emoticon-0122-itwasntme.gif~original[/.

I wanna toss you into a wood chipper.

pennydreadful
01-09-2015, 08:46 PM
I want to toss a wood chipper into a wood chipper, just to see what happens. :lol:

pandaderek
01-10-2015, 12:25 AM

You gotta respect a culture's identity, otherwise, it's disrespectful to the culture. It's fine for white people to enter the genre of hip hop, but, they need to respect the culture and its identity. Hip Hop is apart of African American identity, a reaction to systematic poverty and injustice. When you, only, take parts of a culture's identity, you're misrepresenting that culture, as a whole. That would be like, me, looking through your whole life and picking out the bad things that represent you and use it to describe you, as a person. It wouldn't be right to use parts of your identity to represent you, as a whole.

So, the whole issue with Izzy Azalea is, just, her total lack of respect for Hip Hop culture. Eminem, on the other hand, he acknowledges his identity in African American culture...one of his lyrics, I remember him saying...

Though I'm not the first king of controversy
I am the worst thing since Elvis Presley, to do Black Music so selfishly
and use it to get myself wealthy (Hey)
there's a concept that works
20 million other white rappers emerge - Eminem

BubblyShell22
01-10-2015, 04:05 PM
Yes, but Eminem has been known for crossing the line in his songs many times, and that's why I don't like him.

I'm not into rap music but I do like Iggy's songs "Fancy" and "Black Widow." I never heard about her being racist, but if that's true, then she should be ashamed of herself.

Bry
01-10-2015, 04:50 PM
People have a lot of valid reasons to hate her. I'm definitely not a fan of what she does - her music's pretty crap and the "voice" she puts on is cringe-inducing. On a personal level, she definitely seems like an ignorant, spoiled brat with a chip on her shoulder.

So... not a fan, basically. :lol:

IndigoErth
01-10-2015, 04:59 PM
I wanna toss you into a wood chipper.
*grabs snake last second and pulls him in*

snake
01-10-2015, 08:02 PM
*grabs snake last second and pulls him in*

Aw man! This happens way too often.

pandaderek
01-11-2015, 03:41 AM
Yes, but Eminem has been known for crossing the line in his songs many times, and that's why I don't like him.

I'm not into rap music but I do like Iggy's songs "Fancy" and "Black Widow." I never heard about her being racist, but if that's true, then she should be ashamed of herself.

You should listen to the song that I was quoting from because it addresses your issues with his music, as well...the music video is hilarious (song: Without Me). I was using Eminem as an example, not to represent my whole point...so, if using him as an example distracts the point, you can ignore that example. My whole point isn't applied to, just, hip hop...it's applied to everyone's identity.

Also, you, probably won't like genuine hip hop music if you like any of her music because, like I said, she doesn't reflect hip hop culture. A lot of genuine hip hop songs are a reaction to being underprivileged. That's why there's a lot of anger and strong emotion from life's many losses and frustrations from living in an underprivileged environment. So, if the music offends you, like the song, F*ck The Police, it's because it's meant to...that song was meant to vent frustration of abuse of authority in underprivileged communities.

But, like is said, Iggy Azalea isn't the, only, one that should be targeted...she's, just, the easiest. An artist that fooled me was Macklemore and his bullsh!t.

pandaderek
01-11-2015, 03:51 AM
Here's a good general rap about hip hop culture. It should give you an understanding why Iggy Azalea sucks as a rapper.

FbXoKzhUG9g

Powder
01-11-2015, 04:03 AM
The amount of commas in this thread is borderlining on illegal territory, yo. :tlol:

MrPliggins
01-11-2015, 11:23 AM
I only like "Fancy" because of the hook, but that's not even her. I'm not familiar with her otherwise and also not full of hate towards her. Maybe it's just that I'm naive.

snake
01-11-2015, 11:38 AM
The amount of commas in this thread is borderlining on illegal territory, yo. :tlol:

Reminds me of my early posts. Those things were overloaded with commas.

Slade
01-13-2015, 02:43 PM

Which line are we talking here?

Dirty Blond
01-13-2015, 03:16 PM

So, it's not, just, me? That's good, I, was, beginning to think, I, was losing my mind.