PDA

View Full Version : Secret of the Ooze!

Mew
01-05-2015, 05:54 AM
Who wants to talk about Secret of the Ooze? It's a great movie, My favorite of the 3!

HeroTurtlesFan
01-05-2015, 06:22 AM
Not my favourite of the original three, but I do enjoy it. My two sons (6 and 8) enjoy it a lot.

Donnieangelo
01-05-2015, 06:26 AM
They get much more screen time than they do in the first movie.

Shark_Blade
01-05-2015, 07:09 AM
It's my least favorite before the worst in the series (2k7).

massakre
01-05-2015, 08:16 AM
It gets a bad wrap for sure but as a child I think it was my fav for a while. I was 8 or 9 I think when it came out, 4th grade, which was an awesome time of my childhood.. Vanilla Ice making his cameo, loved Super Shredder, the Turtles new home, cool soundtrack and it was just a really cool flick to me back then. Such a nostalgic, feel-good flick. The Behind the Shell vid that came out around that same era really made me have an appreciation for it as well.

As an adult, I definitely favor the first movie by leaps and bounds but again its almost like two totally diff sets of Turtles, Aprils, Keno as opposed to Casey.. almost feels like a reboot.

sethmartin
01-10-2015, 06:55 PM
I was 9 when it came out and at the time it was my favorite movie. The film was more targeted to kids, so at the time I loved it more than the first. Now, I think it's entertaining. It's a kids/family movie, so if you watch it in that frame of mind, it's really good.

Better than turtles 3. To me, it's pretty much the equivalent of the new movie. Enough action and comedy to keep it interesting, but tons of nonsense and stupid jokes that dumb it down for kids.

Jephael
01-10-2015, 07:54 PM
One of my favorite 90s films ever! Ironically it's the only TMNT film I didn't get to see in the theater.

snake
01-10-2015, 07:57 PM
Love it. I actually just finished watching it, so that's pretty cool.

IndigoErth
01-10-2015, 09:08 PM
Have always liked it a lot, just wish the weapon use wasn't cut out. Ok, Tokka and Rahzar were a bit goofy in concept, but I can deal.

MsMarvelDuckie
01-10-2015, 09:11 PM
Oh, I don't know- the CONCEPT was cool enough, but the EXECUTION.... It's the "babies" part that made me face-palm. And Super Shredder. And Vanilla Ice. I guess it just felt kind of "off" after the first one.

IndigoErth
01-10-2015, 09:21 PM
Yeeahh... "Babies! They're -- BABIES!" Something is oddly, almost slightly embarrassingly, facepalmingly hilarious hearing Shredder yell this. lol

I dunno Shred-head, maybe you should have chosen different animals you could have more easily obtained as adults on short notice. :lol:

MsMarvelDuckie
01-10-2015, 09:32 PM
What gets me is HOW he obtained "babies" of either one. Snappers and wolves aren't exactly running around free in New York, y'know. They would have to come from the zoo or something- and zoos don't exhibit animals until they are old enough to handle the public gawking at them. (BTW that AIN'T no "baby" snapper in the movie- it was a full-grown ADULT after de-mutation! Half-grown "wolf pup", too....) Unless they were from a collector or something like that, but still- why take babies when there are likely larger adults around???

CowabungaMikey
01-11-2015, 02:09 AM
Love this movie! My second favourite TMNT movie, after the first one.

pennydreadful
01-11-2015, 02:17 AM
I like the movie just fine. :tsmile:

Leo656
01-11-2015, 05:43 AM
My boy Big Kev is in it but on the whole it's just Not Very Good.

I mean, it has its moments, and it's fun and you can laugh at it. "It's entertaining but it Ain't Good." That scene where they shove the Bart Simpson glass right in your face pretty much sums up what the entire movie was about: Late-80s/Early-90s pop culture kitsch driven to excess. Taken as a time capsule of everything that was in our faces Then but we laugh at Now, and as a fun cartoon-style kids' movie it's fine.

Taken as the literal and direct sequel to the movie immediately before it, though, and it's awful. The first movie did a great job creating a World and an Atmosphere, and SotO doesn't even try to pick up that ball, which is a huge letdown in a lot of ways. Like, I can watch and enjoy any of the first three movies by themselves and enjoy them to various degrees for different reasons. But I prefer NOT to watch them all in a row, I just get really f*cking angry after a while watching things get progressively worse after such a strong beginning with the first film. Although I liked a lot of things about the third one, it felt less blatantly juvenile and silly, it just looked like sh*t and was kind of boring.

THGhost
01-11-2015, 04:29 PM
I guess this board is open again then? :P

I enjoy SotO for what it is, but for me it pales in comparison to TMNT, Turtles Forever, and TMNT 2014. Obviously better than III but I enjoy that movie for what it is too.

turtlefanforever
01-11-2015, 04:47 PM
Always get excited when I decide to sit back and re watch any of these films. But if I have pizza I usually watch the second one. Just cause it makes me want pizza so bad, plus if I really wanna I can synchronize the pizza eating lmao. :trazz:

Garfield
01-12-2015, 11:39 PM
SOTO is fun but it gets kinda weird around the part when Tokka and Rahzar are destroying the town and the older couple see's it and the wife tells her husband that the monsters should get their own cab. And the movie just really throws itself in the lake at the end with the dance club and vanilla ice, Super Shredder and the turtles in a magazine bit. I'd be okay with that stuff, if it weren't for the movie having none of that kind of silly stuff until the end.

Even without that random sprinkle of silliness. SOTO isn't a strong film. It by far the worst of the 90's TMNT films but I still enjoy it.

B-Man
01-13-2015, 01:33 AM
To every kid who saw it in 1991, this was the greatest movie of all time. The stuff of dreams.
Cut to today, it's fun. Has a lot of charm. Makes you want pizza. Not the sequel the original deserved at all.

pennydreadful
01-13-2015, 04:32 PM
Call me crazy, but I liked the Vanilla Ice part. It was so silly and cheesy and 90's. :tcouch:

newhire13
01-13-2015, 05:04 PM
Yeah they definitely weren't babies. I mean it took the turtles 15 years to get to where they were because they were mutated as babies. They mutated into baby mutant turtles and grew into teenagers. Rahzar and Tokka were that big in a matter of days. It makes more sense that intellectually they were babies and physically teens or adults. Of course I'm over thinking the entire thing though lol. Overall it was fun and I ate it up as a kid.

LeotheLateBloomer
01-15-2015, 01:13 PM
While the tone of this movie is toned down from the first film and the turtles were unable to use their weapons, I feel that the way the story was told and the chemistry between the brothers was done more than made up for it. Leonardo was still serious despite being lighter in tone, Mikey isn't obnoxious as he is in the third film, Raph is toned down but nowhere near as much as the 87 version, he's still Raphael, and unlike the first film, Donnie is portrayed as the brains of the group. I also like how Don felt depressed after learning that the ooze's creation was just an accident.

I'd say this is the second best film in the series for me after the original, of course. A perfectly well-done movie. ;)

monsterocket
01-18-2015, 04:38 AM
This movie was definitely my favorite growing up. I suppose I just had a crush on Kino... but still. It's pretty tied for me with the first movie. I go back and forth.

Filespit
01-18-2015, 03:32 PM
TMNT2 was my favorite movie growing up and still is, so I definitely rank it as my favorite TMNT movie. However, I'd like to point out that I think TMNT1 is a better movie quality wise.

TMNT2 was also the first TMNT movie I ever saw. It wasn't until several years later that I finally saw TMNT1, so TMNT2 holds a special place with me. My favorite scene is without a doubt the Turtles' introduction scene, where they run down the stairs, jump up and the title appears. When I watched this movie as a kid I would always call for my dad "Daddy, daddy, here they come!" during that scene.

I also think this movie has the best Turtle costumes. I was always a bit disturbed with the way they looked in TMNT1, especially Donny, who I think has got a significant improvement in TMNT2. I also enjoy his voice a lot more in this one. For some reason I think it suits him better than Feldman's harder and rougher voice from TMNT1/3.

As I said though, I think TMNT1 is a better movie quality and plot wise. I really appreciate the darker tone that TMNT1 has, whereas TMNT2 is a lot more lighthearted and puts too much emphasis on the comedy than the action. Nothing wrong with that though, I just feel it misses some seriousness.

Altogether though, I absolutely love this movie, it's awesome and will forever be my favorite.

DonatelloDomeHead31
01-18-2015, 09:30 PM
Honestly, the movie had its moments. I read some trivia about it (one previous post talked about the weapons being used less) & another moment was that everyone is eating pizza at the beginning of the movie...makes you hungry just looking at that intro :-D

It was crying for Bebop and Rocksteady...instead we get Tokka and Rahzar.

Overall, I liked it for its "small" comedy parts.

Jephael
01-18-2015, 11:28 PM
It was crying for Bebop and Rocksteady...instead we get Tokka and Rahzar.

You know in hindsight, I'm kinda glad it went that way. It was neat to be introduced to different characters for a change. Plus when you think about it, even if they had brought in Bebop and Rocksteady it most likely wouldn't have been the Bebop and Rocksteady we know from the cartoon. They'd simply be mutating a baby wart hog and rhino instead of a baby wolf and snapping turtle.