PDA

View Full Version : Nickelodeon TMNT Costume Patterns

Nintendude
01-07-2015, 08:47 AM
Joined up here a while back and I guess I never posted until now, but here's my first post. For anyone who might want to make a TMNT costume for themselves, someone helped me with creating the model for the arms, legs and head, I used the shell off a extracted model from one of the games. The parts have been scaled to fit a 6 foot tall person and were designed based off the promo suits.

You will need Pepakura Designer or Pepakura Viewer to view the models, cardstock paper for printing, and foam and other materials for building the parts. The head has been left blank so you can put whatever expression you want on it. For the patterns only one side has been designed for the arm and leg after you make the first side just flip the pattern pieces over on foam to make the other arm and leg. I recommend using 6mm foam that you can pick up as a roll from Harbor Freight.

http://i57.tinypic.com/11khw0y.jpg
http://i62.tinypic.com/8z369c.png

Download link
http://www.uploadmb.com/dw.php?id=1420645549

drag0nfeathers
01-07-2015, 03:27 PM
Wow! Very interesting! It's based more on the new comics then the 2014 series, but I am currently making an Alopex full costume! I'm anxious to debut her (I am aiming for anyway) Boston Comic Con in July this year.

TheJ-manTurtleMan
01-08-2015, 01:17 AM
Cowabunga! you have no idea how awesome this is, thanks! I have been constructing a Ninja Turtle costume for about a year and half now and for me the head has proven to be the most difficult part, but I think this pattern id just what the doctor ordered!

Could you give a little bit more detail on how you completed the head? I have never used Pepakura before, but have always wanted to. Did you layer foam on top of the paper design? Did you just paint it after that, or put fabric or something over that? Thanks so much!

DarkFell
01-08-2015, 01:41 AM
Thanks for sharing this information. Thank you so very much. Because I'm usually searching for info and items needed for designing cosplay costumes that won't weigh me down whenever I wear it and still looks good at the same time.

Thanks again.

Nintendude
01-08-2015, 07:56 AM
With using pepakura for foam purposes. You'll notice some pieces on the pattern once you have it open in the program overlap on additional pages, when you print you will see guides cut along one side to match it up to the opposite side. This creates a longer pattern.

Now as for doing something like the head. Build it with EVA foam as I mentioned 6mm will work wonders. After it's built and you've made the cuts for the face (mouth and eyes) I would recommend gluing down Spandex/Lycra to cover the head like the promo suits used. Same for the legs and arms, after you have the legs and arms covered you will actually need to sew a lycra bodysuit leaving it open at the elbows and knees. Sew the opening to the legs and arm parts to create the full suit.

Now as for the shell. Built it with foam, then for me I would cover it with acrylic/latex caulk, just a thin coat over the shell to fill any gaps and you can smooth the caulk material with water and with your fingers. It will take a while to dry but this method is a lot less toxic that spraying a lot of plastidip. You can paint with acrylic paints afterwards, and seal the paint with a clear acrylic spray you can get from a hobby store.

So for materials:
Foam
Glue (You can use hot glue or I recommend contact cement)
Exacto knife ( get a cheap blade sharpener)
or
$1 Utility knife with the snap off blades
Heat gun (about $20 from eBay but you can find them at Harbor Freight too)
Spandex/Lycra for the bodysuit/covering material
Acrylic/Latex Caulk (0% Silicone in the materials)
or
Plastidip
Acrylic paints (You can also use latex house paint)
Acrylic Clear Spray or Mod Podge for sealing the paint (I recommend using matte)

I think that should cover everything. There are plenty of tutorials on Youtube for making pepakura/foam costumes as well.

EDIT:
Anyone think I should upload my Shredder files here as well? In another topic of course.

DarkFell
01-08-2015, 11:32 AM
I would like to see the Shredder patterns.

TheJ-manTurtleMan
01-08-2015, 02:32 PM
Awesome! Thanks so much! Just this little bit of info helps so much! Ive made a full costume, arms, legs, shell, full body muscle suit, etc. All made and designed by myself. I even made a head out of a plaster cast and latex that I molded and casted, (took forever) it turned out good, but not really what I was hoping for. Ive been trying to construct another head out of cushion foam but it's not working out. I didn't even think about EVA foam and the pattern is perfect! Thanks!:tgrin:

Nintendude
01-08-2015, 02:52 PM
I for one would love to see what this previous costume looked like when it was finished Turtletron.

TheJ-manTurtleMan
01-08-2015, 03:07 PM
Really? When I get home I'll post some pictures, but please bare in mind it was first ever attempt at cosplay, although I am proud of the shell.

TheJ-manTurtleMan
01-09-2015, 12:37 AM
http://imgur.com/a/QyCzu

Here are some photos, again please remember this was my first attempt at anything cosplay, cause I know it's not really great. The latex head was just way too small for my massive melon so I hope to make something bigger next time. I'm also working on a better muscle suit and katanas.

monsterocket
01-18-2015, 03:33 AM
Aaah! I want these costumes! They'd be so great for Halloween... man.