PDA

View Full Version : Best sculpy for customs

The Boston Ninja Turtle
01-11-2015, 07:21 PM
Hey gang I've slo been getting back into customs and I wanna ask

What's the best or most useful sculpy for action figures?

I have used one in the past but it crumbled easy and just didn't want to dry without cracking

Ended up being for ceramic work

Wes
01-17-2015, 10:45 PM
The best sculpy isn't Sculpy at all: you want to order up some Apoxie Sculpt.

https://www.avesstudio.com/apoxie/apoxie-sculpt

The conventional wisdom used to be that the "natural" version is the best (and then you just paint over it), but that could've changed -- I'm sure they're always tweaking their product and perhaps they've worked out whatever minor (and even back in the day they were minor) issues folks had with the colored varieties.

Anyway, I'd probably start with the smallest size and then go from there. I ordered 1lb waaaaay back in 2008 and I still have quite a bit -- technically it can go bad, and there's some yellowing on the stuff I have, but it still works well enough (it just gets harder a bit faster than it used to, which admittedly is probably more convenient anyway). If they've worked out the issues with the colored varieties, I'd probably recommend black; it could just be my eyes but I find it a lot easier to spot imperfections with black than I do with the natural sculpt. Often enough something looks fine to me, but imperfections in the sculpt become more apparent once I've primed it in black... and then I have to go back to the sandpaper to work them out.

Anyway. Good luck, friend!

Huzzah
01-18-2015, 02:19 AM
I like the Apoxie Fixit, it seems to hold more fine shapes and firms a but faster than the regular Apoxie Sculpt, though that could just be be.

tmntfannumerouno
01-18-2015, 09:53 PM
Definitely go with the Apoxie Sculpt or Apoxie Fix-it. I would use the white though because it tends to take yellows and reds alot better imo. I've also seen people use Super Sculpey with great results but the downside is you have to bake but it's only around fifteen or so minutes. In the end it's up to you.