PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Robin?

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
01-14-2015, 09:07 AM
Who is your favorite Boy (Girl) Wonder to fight alongside the Dark Knight?

Leo656
01-14-2015, 08:53 PM
Dick will forever be the "real" Robin in the eyes of fans, and I'm okay with that, but I grew up with Tim and he's always going to be my sentimental favorite.

MikeandRaph87
01-14-2015, 09:16 PM
This is the easiest non-Ninja Turtles question you could ask on this board. Dick Grayson by a really longshot! He is the original and unsurpassable. All others are substitutes for him and I accept no subsitutes. He makes Batman stories more entertaining and gives a unique counterpoint. His Watson to Bruce's Sherlock is just as good and better in a few ways as well as Robin or another identity.

Leo656
01-14-2015, 09:21 PM
See, what I like about Tim though, is that they really went to great lengths to make him his own character, and a completely "different" type of Robin. Like, where Dick was an acrobat/martial artist, Tim was a ninja/computer hacker with ace detective skills.

With Jason, for example, they just stuck Dick's suit on him and gave him an attitude problem. They didn't do much to make him "different".

Not arguing for Tim over Dick, just saying, he wasn't JUST a substitute, he was a really well-developed and fully-formed character. :)

ZariusTwo
01-15-2015, 07:39 AM
DC have'nt been very careful with Dick over the years, they let a criminal rape him once fer pete's sake, and now they've made him James Bond in the Poo 52.

I grew up with Tim very much in the driver's seat and I loved that, at least for a time, he had the sort of background few recruited by Bats had. He had a father to answer to for one thing and in several instances he would have to make compromises as he tried to juggle his social and crime-fighting lifestyle. Plus it's his romantic life that gave us the unsurpassed Stephanie Brown, who, while she flopped as a Robin, oh so briefly became probably the best possible Batgirl in the modern era of comics

Slade
01-15-2015, 08:08 AM
Have to roll with the OG on this one.

Bry
01-15-2015, 08:18 AM
Tim Drake, all the way. I mean, he was the Robin I grew up with, so I've got that bias. But aside from Dick, he's easily the most "important"/iconic Robin (he was in the role for 20 years) and I always loved how he wasn't primarily motivated by tragedy, at least at first - he was a really smart kid who figured out Bruce's secret as a 9-year-old and stepped up to help him when he was struggling with Jason Todd's death. I always liked how he didn't just fall into the role by chance - he had to prove himself and earn it, and once he did he managed to grow and become more than just a sidekick. The "computer hacker" angle was probably very much of its time -- when being "good at computers" was something passably unique and super impressive instead of an expected everyday skill -- but he was the first Robin who had the potential to surpass Batman as a detective. There was always the feeling that he could be the best among the Bat-family in time.

I like Dick and Damian a lot too, for very different reasons. Dick I've always liked more as Nightwing, and Damian is just so damned entertaining (and I'm amazed by how much Grant Morrison eventually made me love the entitled little brat who nearly killed Tim when he first showed up). Dick and Damian as Batman and Robin during the Morrison and Snyder runs is one of my favourite Batman eras, period.

Steph is great too, but I like her more as Spoiler or Batgirl. (And I've never much liked Jason Todd at all.)