PDA

View Full Version : The 1st TMNT movie from 1990 will turn 25 Years Old

TigerClaw
01-14-2015, 02:54 PM
The original TMNT film debuted on March 30th 1990, And this year marks the 25th anniversary since it's release in theaters.
http://tinyurl.com/mhew3om

Bry
01-14-2015, 03:08 PM
Welp, I sure feel old.

It'd be nice to get some kind of special release or official acknowledgement. I'd gladly pay good money for an updated blu-ray with the alternate ending/deleted scenes included, and some kind of director commentary and retrospective feature. Hell, we've all been clamoring for this for years now, and a major anniversary is a great time for it.

Not that I'm expecting anything, mind you...

TigerClaw
01-14-2015, 03:36 PM
Welp, I sure feel old.

It'd be nice to get some kind of special release or official acknowledgement. I'd gladly pay good money for an updated blu-ray with the alternate ending/deleted scenes included, and some kind of director commentary and retrospective feature. Hell, we've all been clamoring for this for years now, and a major anniversary is a great time for it.

The same here, I saw it on opening weekend, And yes, It would be nice if they re-released it with a bunch of extras, The current Blu-Ray versions lack some features, So it would be nice if they including BTS documentaries about the making of the film, and Deleted Scenes.

Powder
01-14-2015, 04:09 PM
This would make a fantastic opportunity for me to finally get a portrait of Henson Leo tattooed but of course I'm broker than ever. :tlol:

pennydreadful
01-14-2015, 05:00 PM
It'd be nice to get some kind of special release or official acknowledgement. I'd gladly pay good money for an updated blu-ray with the alternate ending/deleted scenes included, and some kind of director commentary and retrospective feature.

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140715042509/degrassi/images/a/ae/Sawako_begging.gif

Garfield
01-14-2015, 05:13 PM
Old @SS movie with it's 80's hair.

damn 25 years. I remember seeing it in theaters with my dad when I was a little tyke. I remember he covered my eyes at the end when Casey and April kissed.

I was POed because of that. I wanted to see the smoochin' :x

I still have my copy on VHS. I think it was the first VHS tape I ever owned. I watched the hell out of it...but it still works.:tcool:

Leo656
01-14-2015, 09:15 PM
Welp, I sure feel old.

Yeah. Sure would be awesome if this franchise was actually... y'know... taken kind of seriously by the powers-that-be. Sure would be nice if they both knew and understood that the fanbase isn't just a bunch of 8-year-olds, or grown-ups with the mentality of such.

It's a travesty that the new movie has already had 100x better home release than the original movie. They NEED to fix that.

Beyond that, every time they put out a new box set, Big Kev makes a couple hundred grand, so I'm always happy to contribute to that. Leather pants don't buy themselves.

pennydreadful
01-14-2015, 09:39 PM
Did the new movie get a better release than the 1990 film? I didn't think the new movie had much in the way of special features? :-? Not that I really paid much attention to discussion of released special features for Bayturtles, admittedly.

d_osborn
01-14-2015, 09:45 PM
Yeah. Sure would be awesome if this franchise was actually... y'know... taken kind of seriously by the powers-that-be. Sure would be nice if they both knew and understood that the fanbase isn't just a bunch of 8-year-olds, or grown-ups with the mentality of such.

The Barron film isn't handled by Nick. Unless I'm mistaken, US distribution of the movie is currently WB. Though I agree, a better BR release targeted at older fans would be nice.

It's a travesty that the new movie has already had 100x better home release than the original movie.
Not even close. The BR release of the 2014 PD movie seems pretty bare bones. A few short features on effects and stuff, not much to write home about. For being an older title, the Barron film has a pretty kick ass BR transfer. The grain wasn't sacrificed for post-processed DNR, so it's pretty faithful to the original release, which isn't always the case for older movies. Watch it alongside the TMNT documentary. The movie portion of the doc is a much more comprehensive and informative companion to the original movie than the supplemental material on the 2014 PD BR.

Still, there's definitely room for more stuff. It would be great if WB would work something out with Paramount to have Isaac and the doc crew cut a movie-centric documentary together for a 25th anniv release. I know they have a TON of 1990 movie material that didn't make the cut on the Paramount-released doc.

Leo656
01-14-2015, 10:12 PM
I don't see any editions of the 1990 flick shipping with big-ass statues and Turtle mask bandannas and such, is my point. I'm not only talking about Special Features. They literally "can't" show too much of the behind-the-scenes of the new movie, because they aren't ready to admit that the movie they put in theaters was not the movie they originally made. So it's going to take a while and a couple reissues before the new movie sees any significant on-disc extras.

Yet even the bare-bones movie gets all this hoopla and extra stuff with it like statues, whereas every new version of the old movie is mostly just a new piece of cover art. It's pretty frustrating. By now we should at least be getting the deleted scenes and such from the original film. Maybe a figure or statue or something with the new release as well, why not? It's the anniversary, after all. I doubt it, though.

DarkFell
01-14-2015, 10:18 PM
That was what I was wondering about because I have the $5 DVD (thank you Wal-mart), yet I never have came across the deleted scenes from the 1990 movie but I'd find them on YouTube.

Soooo, like what gives? How is everyone else getting these deleted scenes?

d_osborn
01-14-2015, 10:51 PM
I don't see any editions of the 1990 flick shipping with big-ass statues and Turtle mask bandannas and such, is my point.
Thankfully! That is exactly the same type of mindless, sugar-coated commercial crap that goes well with the new movie, and I would hate to see the 1990 film pimped with similar useless garbage.

I'm talking about supplemental content that provides an actual respectable look at the development, production, and history of the 1990 film. Something in the vein of Criterion releases. Criterion Light, I guess. Something along the lines of the 1999 Ghostbusters DVD release, Alien, Blade Runner, Extended LOTR, Metropolis... releases that had care and respect for the films, their history, and their cultural impact. Retrospective production docs, on-set candid footage (THIS STUFF EXISTS FOR TMNT!), production art galleries, marketing explorations, commentary tracks, cut/alt scenes, etc. Eh, a fan can dream.

I believe that Isaac mentioned that their rough cut of the 1990 movie segment of the doc was something like 90 or 120 minutes. THAT is what we need on a 25th anniv release. Not cheap, cheesy resin statues sculpted by the lowest bidder. The first TMNT 90 BR release came with a beanie and trivia cards! :trolleye:

Soooo, like what gives? How is everyone else getting these deleted scenes?
The original ending was released on a German DVD, and a cut scene with Shredder popped up on the TMNT documentary. If you haven't seen the doc and have an interest in the original movie, do yourself a favor and check it out. It's pretty awesome!

Leo656
01-14-2015, 10:56 PM
Granted nobody needs any of that stuff - I don't go out of my way to get those, myself - and I'd much, MUCH rather see all that deleted supplemental stuff that exists, rather than statues and the like. But that other crap does move a lot of units, can't deny that. My point is, either would be better than just a new bit of cover art, which, if they do a 25th anniversary release, is all we're likely to get.

DarkFell
01-14-2015, 11:11 PM
The original ending was released on a German DVD, and a cut scene with Shredder popped up on the TMNT documentary. If you haven't seen the doc and have an interest in the original movie, do yourself a favor and check it out. It's pretty awesome!
Thanks for the info. I appreciate that. :)

Bry
01-16-2015, 08:54 AM
Beyond that, every time they put out a new box set, Big Kev makes a couple hundred grand, so I'm always happy to contribute to that. Leather pants don't buy themselves.

HA! I'll definitely keep that in mind. I've bought that movie in three separate formats already, so I'm doing my part. :lol:

The Barron film isn't handled by Nick. Unless I'm mistaken, US distribution of the movie is currently WB. Though I agree, a better BR release targeted at older fans would be nice.

Still, there's definitely room for more stuff. It would be great if WB would work something out with Paramount to have Isaac and the doc crew cut a movie-centric documentary together for a 25th anniv release. I know they have a TON of 1990 movie material that didn't make the cut on the Paramount-released doc.

I wonder if we'd have seen something more by now if Nick/Paramount had distribution rights for that movie? I can see them being more invested if they were getting all of the profits. It seems like a perfect time to give the movie a big re-release, but... hey, I'm not a bean-counter.

Thankfully! That is exactly the same type of mindless, sugar-coated commercial crap that goes well with the new movie, and I would hate to see the 1990 film pimped with similar useless garbage.

I mean, I'm with you in that I mainly want to see some decent special features, deleted scenes and interviews/retrospectives - those absolutely have more actual value. This is still one of the most successful independent movies of all time, and it's gotten quite a bit more appreciation lately than it once had, so I think it deserves something more than the lousy, bare-bones releases it's had so far.

That said... I really wouldn't say no to a fancy blu-ray set with a nice statuette. :lol:

Don Gaddis
01-16-2015, 10:15 AM
Thus far, of all the movie versions of the TMNT, this one has the most heart.
It really and truly captured the feel of the original comics, and when I think
of April, I think of Judith Hoag's performance. Elias Koteas was great as
Casey Jones as well. And in regard to the turtles, give me these versions
and Jim Henson's Creature Shop any day over soulless CGI renderings.
I remember seeing this in the theatre and would welcome a new release
for the 25th Anniversary. What a fun movie!

sgtfbomb
01-16-2015, 10:38 AM
I'm talking about supplemental content that provides an actual respectable look at the development, production, and history of the 1990 film. Something in the vein of Criterion releases. Criterion Light, I guess. Something along the lines of the 1999 Ghostbusters DVD release, Alien, Blade Runner, Extended LOTR, Metropolis... releases that had care and respect for the films, their history, and their cultural impact. Retrospective production docs, on-set candid footage (THIS STUFF EXISTS FOR TMNT!), production art galleries, marketing explorations, commentary tracks, cut/alt scenes, etc. Eh, a fan can dream.

I would love to see Shout Factory get their hands on it. They do releases like that. Arrow, on the UK side, as well -- they just released blown up, special edition Blu Rays for The Burbs (which included a new making of documentary, a commentary, and a workprint cut) and Super Mario Bros. (with a making of documentary and, I believe, deleted scenes). I wouldn't even mind them getting their hands on it, even if it is region-locked. That's nothing a region free player can't fix.

d_osborn
01-16-2015, 05:37 PM
I would love to see Shout Factory get their hands on it. They do releases like that. Arrow, on the UK side, as well -- they just released blown up, special edition Blu Rays for The Burbs (which included a new making of documentary, a commentary, and a workprint cut) and Super Mario Bros. (with a making of documentary and, I believe, deleted scenes). I wouldn't even mind them getting their hands on it, even if it is region-locked. That's nothing a region free player can't fix.
Yeah, Shout Factory would be great. I didn't know about The 'Burbs release! Awesome! Green sky at night... neighbor take flight.

I heard about the SMB movie BR, but haven't had a chance to pick it up. I know that the transfer is beautiful. The fans behind the smbmovie.com fansite produced the inluded documentary. I can't WAIT to see it. Awful movie, but I'm super nostalgic about it.

IndigoErth
01-16-2015, 09:40 PM
Yup, has aged pretty well. Oh yeah, the movie has too. :trazz:

Yeah, a special edition release would be nice. I eventually need to own it and the others on disc, would be a good time to.

ScrewtheMirageTMNT
01-17-2015, 12:37 PM
Wrong thread.

Bry
01-17-2015, 01:28 PM
I'll always be impressed by how much emotion they got across with those puppet heads. A lot of it is the voice acting, music, and the shooting angles they used, but it's still remarkably effective.

pNkiDVRIdZI

T8k-obRa90k

B1QiehoSCHs

The Henson Company, man. 25 years old and still better than most modern CGI can accomplish.

Leo656
01-17-2015, 01:38 PM
I believe those things are usually referred to as "subtlety", and "film making".

And yeah, it's pretty much extinct. It's odd and sad how movies let us "see" more now, but it all generally looks so much worse.

Bry
01-17-2015, 01:44 PM
I believe those things are usually referred to as "subtlety", and "film making".

And yeah, it's pretty much extinct. It's odd and sad how movies let us "see" more now, but it all generally looks so much worse.

Filmmm... maaaa... king? :???:

(Ha.)

But that's exactly it - talented filmmakers can make things work and use what they have to their full potential. The old Turtle suits should be limited and look goofy by today's standards, but they don't; they hold up remarkably well while a lot of today's CGI looks fake and dated by the time it hits theatres.

It's just especially impressive considering how long ago this was, and how small the budget was compared to what movies like this get now. Nothing beats those Henson suits.

Sabacooza
01-17-2015, 01:49 PM
I'll always be impressed by how much emotion they got across with those puppet heads. A lot of it is the voice acting, music, and the shooting angles they used, but it's still remarkably effective.

The Henson Company, man. 25 years old and still better than most modern CGI can accomplish.I agree. It's such a beautiful film even till this day. I like how the color pallet and lighting is more realistic. The world they portray in this also looks old, lived in and dirty which is what I imagine a TMNT film to be. The script is also solid. In movies these days depending on the cg used, looks so fake and video gameish, paint by numbers. Hollywood has lost it's way unfortunately.

Candy Kappa
01-17-2015, 01:55 PM
One of the big advantage practical effects have, is that they will have the same light falling on them like the rest of the environment and the actors present in the scene.

if a CGI creature (or any CGI effect) don't have the matching render and texture work to blend with the live-action, the model can be as photo-realistic as humanly possible and it will still look fake.

Leo656
01-17-2015, 01:59 PM
I watched "The Dark Crystal" for the first time over Christmas and couldn't stop saying out loud, "This sh*t much have cost a fortune". Also, holy crap, that same exact movie, done today, would look horrific. Even though Obvious Puppet Main Character Is Obvious. Doesn't matter. That movie is a friggin' masterpiece, the type we can never and will never see again. They did so much world-building and unique-looking creatures with so much personality in them.

You just don't get that with empty "CGI Balloon" characters. Movies all look like video games now, not even movies anymore. Even guys like Jackson are giving up and making increasingly sh*tty movies "because it's easier". Well, I'unno if it's easier, but it sure looks like it took a lot less effort to produce, I'll give ya that. Not a compliment, though.

Pretty soon they're gonna forget about actors entirely and just CGI them, too, and everything will be like frickin' "Beowulf", because "if we can, why not?" See, people take Dr. Malcolm's speech about "so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should" at face value, as if it only had to do with the ethical dilemma of cloning dinosaurs. But *I* think when they made that movie they had a feeling that CGI was going to become blatantly over-used to the point of being ridiculous, and were warning everyone not to do that. Hollywood, as usual, took the wrong message from the material. :P

Candy Kappa
01-17-2015, 02:05 PM
beowulf would have been an amazing movie, if it was in the hnds of a person that actually understood animation and how to animate.

there is some deep BS that some people believe that CGI is just pushing buttons and voila! And some of then are the people behind beowulf and Polar Express, where they Motion Captured and thought the workday was over.

Motion Capture is barely half the work. even 1st year 3D students are taught that you must animate over Motion Capture, so it will look good. Motion Capture alone looks like stilted crap. Beowulf and Final Fantasy Spirits Within are movies that are shown to students as how NOT to make animation.

Sabacooza
01-17-2015, 02:08 PM
I do like big epic action in certain movies but it's gotten to the point where it's too unbelievable, almost cartoonish.

raph27
01-17-2015, 08:07 PM
Hoping this means a possible big Blu-Ray release with lots of bonus features. Plus remastered. The DVD is extremely grainy. (How good was the old Blu-Ray?)
Oh, and if we could actually get some statues or figures (Playmates' sh*t last year doesn't count) that would be amazing.

LeoRaph
01-17-2015, 08:21 PM
I'm hoping that it will first get 'Officially Acknowledged' For it's 25th Year Milestone from the powers that be, we know it, we care but do the Big Wigs in charge care? And if they do, can they give us the version we want, you know the 'German One or Better' or will we just get another cover change or something lame like that...this movie deserves so much better, it was ground breaking with what they did and how well they did. It's about time we got The Special Edition :tgrumble:

sgtfbomb
01-17-2015, 11:35 PM
The DVD is extremely grainy. (How good was the old Blu-Ray?)

The DVD was a mess. The Blu Ray release is considerably better. There is still grain, but it is not as bad. However, grain is still evident and most likely goes back to the actual negative. I suspect the grainy look, in many scenes at least, was actually intentional in keeping with a gritty, urban look and most likely a stylistic choice for the flashback scenes, which are the most grainy, at least on the Blu Ray release. (On the DVD, the shots of Casey outside the warehouse had a great deal of noise, almost like watching it on a channel with mediocre reception in the days before digital antennas.) I personally think it looks great on Blu Ray. It could be better, but it's probably the best we're gonna get for a long while. Even if we get deleted scenes and documentaries, I doubt they'll opt to go back to the original negative for a meticulous restoration over simply re-using the current master. And, if they do, I hope they don't attempt to impress the cynical youngsters who don't understand what grain is by over-doing the DNR. Too much of that makes even living, breathing people look like automated wax figures, as removing grain also removes details such as texture, which I'm sure would be a disservice to Jim Henson's work on the film.

If you want to sample it, though, I'm sure that the master streaming on Netflix is the HD one.

monsterocket
01-18-2015, 04:03 AM
I used to enjoy the 2nd film much more, but that has certainly changed over the years. I miss the magic of animatronics and puppets... the CG stuff just doesn't feel the same. :teek:

d_osborn
01-25-2015, 01:35 AM
I suspect the grainy look, in many scenes at least, was actually intentional in keeping with a gritty, urban look and most likely a stylistic choice for the flashback scenes, which are the most grainy, at least on the Blu Ray release.
My background is in cinematography and I'm a raging huge film historian/preservation/restoration nerd. The BR transfer looks as good as the movie is probably going to ever look. It's not at all reference quality, but the transfer shockingly nice, all things considered.

After Golden Harvest saw the rough cut, they felt the film was too dark (exposure AND tonally, but that's a whole other discussion). Golden Harvest chemically pushed the film exposure in dark scenes to lighten the image, which intensifies the grain. I've read that Barron fought them pretty hard on this, which is one of the reasons why he was cut out of most of the post-production.

The Casey exterior warehouse shot was just really high ASA film, which brings out even more grain. Gotta love old school, low-budget indie films! The flashback scenes were intentionally designed to look like the way they do. I'm pretty sure they were shot on fast 16mm.

With the final master of the film consisting of pushed exposure dark scenes, even the best copy of the film is going to be grainy. Personally, I feel this adds to the whole thing. The graininess gives the images a ton of character, and like you mentioned, brings out a gritty, urban, nasty 80s NYC feel.

Whoever produced the new BR transfer did a pretty good job with it. It definitely looks like there was some light restoration done in the process, while avoiding scuzzy DNR and sharpening.

Now if they would only give us a release with some supplemental content...

Ville Leskinen
01-25-2015, 03:08 AM
Jim Henson's Creature Shop Challenge was likely the closest thing to puppets that are likely to happen anytime soon on film or tv. Sadly. And even that show got cancelled to my understanding.

So a special edition of the 1990 movie would be more then welcome. Didn't Canadian Turtle say there was some (not much though) BTS stuff left out from the turtle documentary? A retrospective documentary about the technology used and the puppets along with Barrons commentary would be great!

...But it's unlike will get anything so I propose we hunt down the best source of the tv shows that show some of the BTS stuff and make it ourselves! Who's with me?! :lol:

TheCanadiandrome
01-28-2015, 11:03 PM
The original TMNT film debuted on March 30th 1990, And this year marks the 25th anniversary since it's release in theaters.
http://tinyurl.com/mhew3om

dear lord! i echo most here when I say i feel old :lol: :o

Mellie
01-28-2015, 11:22 PM
25 years already? :tdead:

I love this movie so much. Oddly I have a hard time watching it because I get so sad afterwards. I'm not sure why.. it means too much to me I guess.

I really hope the anniversary is acknowledged in some way.

Leonardo87
01-29-2015, 04:36 PM
Fingers can only be crossed to get the proper DVD/Blu Ray release we have all been waiting for.