PDA

View Full Version : Help with a custom

pingclang
01-21-2015, 02:34 PM
Hey guys, I'm sure I'll get some sort of lip for making a new thread about this but couldn't find anywhere that really seemed a good place to ask a question. I see a lot of custom paints and builds on here and considering the amazing amount of talent I've seen on here, thought maybe someone could help. A good while back I decided to try my hand at making a black and white Raphael by painting one of the 2012 figures. It turned out to be kind of a disaster as instead of starting with a darker color and building up to white on the shading, I just went all white and had to use a TON of paint so he's kind of a thick sticky mess. So what I want to do is remove all the white and start over and try another technique. Do any of you guys have a certain way to remove your paints from a figure? If it helps I was using Games Workshop paints (like for Warhammer miniatures.) Any help is appreciated.

jestergoblin
01-21-2015, 03:26 PM
If you want to strip the figure of the paint, put him in a sealed container with some Greenworks/Simple Green All-Purpose cleaner and let him soak for 24-48 hours. Then scrub him with an old tooth brush.

In the future, I would suggest priming and then using thin coats on the figure.

pingclang
01-21-2015, 04:12 PM
If you want to strip the figure of the paint, put him in a sealed container with some Greenworks/Simple Green All-Purpose cleaner and let him soak for 24-48 hours. Then scrub him with an old tooth brush.

In the future, I would suggest priming and then using thin coats on the figure.

Thanks for the suggestion to strip it. My big mistake was that I didn't prime it. I read somewhere that primer was a bad idea and that the existing paint on the figure was a good enough base. Whoever wrote that was wrong. Again, thank you. I plan to treat it like a miniature once I get it stripped; just light coats and slow going. Thanks again.

tmntfannumerouno
01-21-2015, 07:03 PM
Is Powder sick or something? Doesn't he usually backseat Mod stuff like this?

Jester
01-21-2015, 07:20 PM
Is Powder sick or something? Doesn't he usually backseat Mod stuff like this?
Well it has now been modded for real. What's the point of invoking Powder anyway? It's not like he's Beetlejuice or anything.

tmntfannumerouno
01-21-2015, 07:30 PM
:PHmmm??? I wonder Powder Powder Powder

Well it has now been modded for real. What's the point of invoking Powder anyway? It's not like he's Beetlejuice or anything.

pingclang
01-21-2015, 10:02 PM
Thank you. Glad to see I wasn't let down. Also, thanks for moving it to the correct spot.

sanityattack
01-22-2015, 06:55 AM
It turned out to be kind of a disaster as instead of starting with a darker color and building up to white on the shading, I just went all white and had to use a TON of paint so he's kind of a thick sticky mess.

Are you trying to replicate the NECA style B&W figures or a different style?

pingclang
01-22-2015, 09:22 AM
Are you trying to replicate the NECA style B&W figures or a different style?

Yeah, trying to recreate the NECA black and white look but with a 2012 Raphael figure. This guy, only black and white.

http://www.toysrus.com/graphics/product_images/pTRU1-12774865dt.jpg

sanityattack
01-22-2015, 09:43 AM
Yeah, trying to recreate the NECA black and white look but with a 2012 Raphael figure. This guy, only black and white.

Ok. I'm guessing from the way you were asking that you don't have much experience customizing, so I'll list the steps I would use to achieve the result you are looking for. Hope this helps.

1. Wash figure with soapy water to remove any mold release.

2. Sand or Dremel joints to reduce paint rub.

3. Spray with an aerosol white primer designed for plastic.

4. Cover figure with a black wash.

5. Dry brush white over the black wash, concentrating on the raised areas. Many light coats rather than one heavy pass.

6. Use a fine tipped permanent marker to fill in the lines where you require more definition.

Alternatively, you could use a black primer and dry brush white directly over it. However, that would give you a very dark base to cover with white.

joefsas
01-22-2015, 09:47 AM
I was gunna have a go at this. I gotta spare 2k12 Leo so it won't hurt If I bugger it up and throw it away.
I work in a bodyshop...I wonder if automotive paints will work lol

pingclang
01-22-2015, 11:20 AM
Ok. I'm guessing from the way you were asking that you don't have much experience customizing, so I'll list the steps I would use to achieve the result you are looking for. Hope this helps.

1. Wash figure with soapy water to remove any mold release.

2. Sand or Dremel joints to reduce paint rub.

3. Spray with an aerosol white primer designed for plastic.

4. Cover figure with a black wash.

5. Dry brush white over the black wash, concentrating on the raised areas. Many light coats rather than one heavy pass.

6. Use a fine tipped permanent marker to fill in the lines where you require more definition.

Alternatively, you could use a black primer and dry brush white directly over it. However, that would give you a very dark base to cover with white.

Hmm, ok. I was gonna approach it like a mini and start with a black primer and start painting with a very light gray and work up to white on the highlights.

sanityattack
01-22-2015, 11:32 AM
Hmm, ok. I was gonna approach it like a mini and start with a black primer and start painting with a very light gray and work up to white on the highlights.

Ah, so you're going for a much more comic accurate 'gray scale' paint job then? I mean, the Neca ones are just basically white with black lines. I look forward to seeing it!

pingclang
01-22-2015, 03:15 PM
Ah, so you're going for a much more comic accurate 'gray scale' paint job then? I mean, the Neca ones are just basically white with black lines. I look forward to seeing it!

Don't get your hopes up too much, lol.

TheMasterTurtle
01-22-2015, 09:30 PM
I'd recommend a very fine tipped brush with black paint versus any permanent marker. They tend to eventually bleed/ turn color especially if you plan to seal your paint job which I would.

Just my preference

Discogod
01-23-2015, 03:03 AM
I was gunna have a go at this. I gotta spare 2k12 Leo so it won't hurt If I bugger it up and throw it away.
I work in a bodyshop...I wonder if automotive paints will work lol

As long as they're acrylic based. I use car paints all the time for my customs, gives a nice, durable base layer to work on.

joefsas
01-23-2015, 03:13 AM
As long as they're acrylic based. I use car paints all the time for my customs, gives a nice, durable base layer to work on.

Sweet! Cheers dude :D

pingclang
01-23-2015, 09:30 AM
I'd recommend a very fine tipped brush with black paint versus any permanent marker. They tend to eventually bleed/ turn color especially if you plan to seal your paint job which I would.

Just my preference

I plan on brushing the black in. I want to sort of give it a "hand drawn" look with big thick black lines like the inking on a comic page so yeah, I will.

Thanks again to everyone for their advice. I'm picking up the stuff to get rid of the paint today and then getting the paints I need tomorrow. Sadly, I wont be doing any painting for a bit as its raining here with snow coming in soon so I don't want to get started with all the moisture in the air. That paired with the fact I have to go outside to prime it means a halt on the project. Anyway, enough babbling.

pingclang
01-25-2015, 01:25 PM
So been working on cleaning him up. Thought I'd share the first image of the project. I worked on him some last night but he wasn't quite ready so let him soak some more overnight and today it came off great. Here's a shot before I got him cleaned up. Letting it soak some more now to get rid of the deep stuff but he's almost clean now. Looks how thick this mess is, what was I thinking?

http://imgur.com/ZGL591r