PDA

View Full Version : How do you discover new music?

Wesley
01-22-2015, 05:14 PM
How do you discover new music? I usually watch YouTube or music channels on tv. I also use the Yap Music app or listen to previews of albums on iTunes.

Whatswiththeheadbands?
01-22-2015, 05:23 PM
Usually either YouTube or Spotify.

pennydreadful
01-22-2015, 05:47 PM
A bit of a combo... I hunt on Youtube, I listen to a lot of VA albums hoping to discover new bands that I haven't heard before, look for online recs for bands similar to ones I already like (lastfm is good for this), listen to the local alternative radio stations... things like that.

DarkFell
01-22-2015, 08:57 PM
A variety of local radio stations *especially when the devote a segment of on air time for former 80's hair bands to 'newer' heavy metal bands* help out. Whenever I make time for it, I'll flip throughout random music video accounts in YouTube.

Prowler
01-22-2015, 10:06 PM
I find Last.FM's recommendations to still be the best ones out there. And I'm not just referring to music websites, but to everything in general. It has helped me find several artists. Sometimes I use Spotify's recommendations as well but those aren't as good, I'm afraid.

And then there's also my classmates and my friends. Many of them share songs on FB from bands I've never heard off until then. I also browse the internet to find more music, a lot of times discovering new artists by accident. In case of Metal bands, I can find a few new ones by simply browsing metal archives and clicking on threads randomly.

pandaderek
01-23-2015, 04:58 AM
It used to be that I would go to shows and enjoy a few of the opening acts and follow their music and associated music artist(s). Now, I don't go to shows anymore and keep up with artists that I've, already, discovered. I will go to music festivals, but, most the artists that are on the bill are established artists that I know of, already.

I don't do discover music through social media because I don't think that's working hard enough. I respect the whole touring and opening for established acts and taking pride and chances on one's works. So many of the artists that I've discovered have saved up for a tour and set up shows, across the nation, and have gone through so many shows and not making more than $50.

Machias Banshee
01-23-2015, 09:41 PM
youtube, college radio and shortwave radio..

Cure
01-23-2015, 09:45 PM
I pump jams on the radio when I drive around.

You guys know Tay Tay? Haters gonna hate hate hate.

Jester
01-23-2015, 09:49 PM
Wife. Mainly her.

MsMarvelDuckie
01-24-2015, 01:25 AM
You-tube and movie soundtracks. Not gonna lie, I will buy the soundtracks to movies I like to check out bands whose songs are in the movie. If I like them enough, I'll look up more of their work.

pennydreadful
01-24-2015, 02:10 AM
I do the same thing, Marvel - horror movies and their soundtracks are always a great way to hear new metal bands. 8)

MsMarvelDuckie
01-24-2015, 02:16 AM
Yes, indeedy! So are sci-fi and comic book movies. Well, not metal, maybe (except Iron-Man- that one's a given) but I always find cool ones that way.

Jester
01-24-2015, 02:53 AM
I like the site www.whosampled.com as well, as I love listening to odd covers of popular songs.

Icebot
01-24-2015, 07:07 PM
Satellite radio and Pandora.

Lethal Lullaby
01-26-2015, 11:23 AM
YouTube all the way!!
(unless a friend recommends a song)

Mew
01-26-2015, 11:43 AM
Find a CD on the side of the rode.

Slade
01-26-2015, 11:45 AM
I haven't really listened to music on the regular radio since 2006. Most new stuff bores the hell out of me since I mostly listen to rap anyways. I do listen to Pandora and sometimes they play a new person on the stations I have. If I like it, I check them out. Like I just starting listening to Kevin Gates about 2 weeks ago. Still don't listen to most of his stuff, but some of his tracks I can really get into. That's as far as my new music likes get into. Everyone else I listen to has been around for a while.

Mick
03-12-2015, 07:50 PM
Last.fm and The Metal Archives for me. Those are two of the best music websites, in my opinion. YouTube is another one I use. ReverbNation is another one I use as well. BandCamp.... oh yes, I forgot to include that in the best music discovery places on the interwebz.

Zarana-X
03-16-2015, 03:50 PM
Facebook, friends, Pandora. Pandora mostly tells me what not to listen to...:roll: Still mostly listen to old stuff. Mostly...:ohwell:

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
03-16-2015, 04:13 PM
I don't discover new music. New music discovers me.

In all seriousness, friends and movie soundtracks.

shuriken
03-16-2015, 09:11 PM
youtube, jbtv, movies and sometimes the radio

senpai
03-16-2015, 11:04 PM
I love Spotify! I wish you didn't have to pay for it. The ads and limits are annoying if you go with the free version. Also Pandora's all right, but I prefer Spotify. I'm a fan of indie rock and classic rock too. My favorite radio station is aired in MN. So I just do I Heart Radio whenever I feel like tuning in. They play some of the best new and old music!

Prowler
06-06-2015, 03:21 PM
I love Spotify! I wish you didn't have to pay for it. The ads and limits are annoying if you go with the free version. Also Pandora's all right, but I prefer Spotify. I'm a fan of indie rock and classic rock too. My favorite radio station is aired in MN. So I just do I Heart Radio whenever I feel like tuning in. They play some of the best new and old music!
And you don't have to pay for it if you don't want to. Yes, I'd rather do without the ads, but I'm not paying 6-7 euros per month just to get rid off them. It's not like the world is over if an ad plays every 3-4 songs. In fact, it kinda makes it livelier. Like some sort of ultra-modern radio station. I don't mind it much, to be honest.

Shiro Kame
06-06-2015, 03:33 PM
I use Youtube. Since I subscribe and view a variety of internet artists, some channel suggestions will come up for me. I will also sometimes search up the genre. That's how I discovered TheEnigma TNG.

MsMarvelDuckie
06-07-2015, 01:31 AM
Lately? TV commercials. Yeah, it sounds weird, but I've been hearing some really cool tunes on commercials- the Kia one using Maroon 5's Animals and the Vegas Cosmopolitan one with an instrumental of Mos Def's Twilite Speedball being just a couple- and I liked them so much I had to hunt them down.

Wesley
06-07-2015, 11:49 AM
Lately? TV commercials. Yeah, it sounds weird, but I've been hearing some really cool tunes on commercials- the Kia one using Maroon 5's Animals and the Vegas Cosmopolitan one with an instrumental of Mos Def's Twilite Speedball being just a couple- and I liked them so much I had to hunt them down.

I don't think that's weird. I've heard a lot of fun songs over the years on TV shows like soap operas and comedies. For example, Rockin' Around the World by Status Quo was used in an episode of Coronation Street nearly a decade ago when they guest-starred on the soap.

MsMarvelDuckie
06-07-2015, 12:01 PM
True, one of the earliest TV soundtracks I bought was the one for season one of Smallville. I loved most of the songs on it, and now I kind of wish I'd picked up some of the other albums from later seasons. Or Buffy and Angel, I remember both shows having some really good tunes. The most recent OST I've bought was for Guardians of the Galaxy.

Prowler
06-07-2015, 12:09 PM
I don't think that's weird. I've heard a lot of fun songs over the years on TV shows like soap operas and comedies. For example, Rockin' Around the World by Status Quo was used in an episode of Coronation Street nearly a decade ago when they guest-starred on the soap.
Video games can be a good place to discover new artists as well. I found out about Radiohead, Kasabian, Head Automatica and Franz Ferdinand in FIFA, per example.

Wesley
06-07-2015, 12:27 PM
Video games can be a good place to discover new artists as well. I found out about Radiohead, Kasabian, Head Automatica and Franz Ferdinand in FIFA, per example.

I agree about video games. I discovered The Offspring by playing Crazy Taxi and heard the song To Get Down by Timo Maas in FIFA 2003. Also, I heard some of my favourite bands/artists first on the Irish TV show Reeling in the Years.