PDA

View Full Version : Old school fan back for good.

Creativemind
01-23-2015, 07:32 PM
Hi, I've been a fan of the turtles since I was four years old. My first action figure was an original 1988 Leonardo. I grew up watching the cartoon and movies and playing the video games. The best part was getting to share in the fandom with my cousin who was like a little brother to me. I fell out of it sometime around the red sky era And wasn't thrilled with much that came after. Not even the 2003 interested me, mainly because the lack of other mutants and wasn't a fan of the art. Well, back in 210 I lost my cousin from a drug overdose and felt lost. I fell into a deep depression and didnt leave the house for months.The following year I found out about the new IDW line of comics and picked up the first issue and was hooked. It brought back memories of my cousin but for the first time it didn't make me sad. I was able to sleep at night again and to see my friends and family. I guess you can say that the turtles saved me.

Powder
01-23-2015, 07:37 PM
Welcome to the drome! It probably won't come as a surprise when I say that many of us have similar stories, quite literally owing our lives or at least peace of mind to the TMNT. It's been my saving grace/anti-depressant for as long as I can remember, too. Enjoy the forums.

DarkFell
01-23-2015, 07:40 PM
Sorry to hear that you lost your cousin like that. Glad to know that you're doing okay and that some old friends within the comics "helped" you through that tough patch in your life.

All of the above said, welcome aboard.

Creativemind
01-23-2015, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome, guys. I also enjoy the 2012 cartoon. it has a bit of that classic feel to it.

Gin Rummy
01-23-2015, 09:28 PM
Welcome to the Technodrome Forums! :)

Nasubionna
01-23-2015, 09:59 PM
That's a pretty powerful story. I hope you enjoy the forums. I'm pretty new here myself, but welcome!

pennydreadful
01-24-2015, 02:17 AM
Welcome to the forums, dude. I'm glad that you're rediscovering your love for the franchise (but sorry about the circumstances that led to it). Look forward to getting to know you better! :tsmile: Who is your fave Turtle?

MsMarvelDuckie
01-24-2015, 02:23 AM
I'll second what penny said. Sorry for your loss, but welcome aboard! And watch out for the Kraang droppings....

Creativemind
01-24-2015, 03:49 AM
Welcome to the forums, dude. I'm glad that you're rediscovering your love for the franchise (but sorry about the circumstances that led to it). Look forward to getting to know you better! :tsmile: Who is your fave Turtle?

Thanks. Yeah, life throws curve balls at you sometimes but you gotta keep moving on. My favorite is mostly Michelangelo but sometimes it Raphael depending on the incarnation. In the 80s and 2012 cartoons and 2014 movie my favorite is Mikey. In the 1990 live action, 2003 cartoon (even though I'm not a huge fan)and 2007 animated film my favorite is raph. And then when it comes to the comics it's a toss up between the two. I think it's because I identify with both. I'm that fun loving guy that everyone likes to hang out with and play video games and read comics, but in my darker moments when my anxiety is high, I don't want to be bothered and sometimes I want to go out a crack skulls.
I'll second what penny said. Sorry for your loss, but welcome aboard! And watch out for the Kraang droppings....
I was wondering what that smell was.:tgrin: lol thanks.

blindturtle02
01-24-2015, 01:24 PM
Hey and welcome to the drome! I'm glad Turtles could be a comfort to you. They certainly helped me after my friend Caralyn passed away. She actually would have been my future mother-in-law. She was the only lady over 50 aside from my own mom who would sit down, watch things like Star Wars and TMNT, and actually enjoy them. I can't help but smile and think of her while watching the 2012 and 2k3 series. Yeah, Turtles can often work wonders in troubled times. Anywho, I know where you're coming from. Glad to meet you and see ya around the forums!

pennydreadful
01-24-2015, 07:03 PM
We have a social group maintained by Leo656 (the Despair Faction) for people to share stuff that's getting them down as well, so if you ever need to vent or if your anxiety is getting to you, you're welcome to join us and get things off your chest.

Icebot
01-24-2015, 07:03 PM
Welcome aboard! Hope you enjoy it here!

Sorry for your loss.

Creativemind
01-24-2015, 08:09 PM
We have a social group maintained by Leo656 (the Despair Faction) for people to share stuff that's getting them down as well, so if you ever need to vent or if your anxiety is getting to you, you're welcome to join us and get things off your chest.

That's realy cool. Thank you. I will keep it in mind.
Welcome aboard! Hope you enjoy it here!

Sorry for your loss.
Thanks, dude.

penumbra369
01-25-2015, 04:28 AM
Welcome aboard!

My condolences to you for your cousin. I'm glad memories don't hurt anymore, and that you're able to enjoy this hobby you once shared with him. I hope this place, and other fellow fans, can bring about even more healing.

Creativemind
01-25-2015, 07:17 AM
Welcome aboard!

My condolences to you for your cousin. I'm glad memories don't hurt anymore, and that you're able to enjoy this hobby you once shared with him. I hope this place, and other fellow fans, can bring about even more healing.

Thanks. I get a real positive vibe from this place. Looking around I'm not noticing any flame wars or much of any bickering.

Davin
01-25-2015, 10:48 AM
Welcome to the Drome. :tsmile:

Sorry to hear about your cousin.

pennydreadful
01-25-2015, 05:15 PM
Thanks. I get a real positive vibe from this place. Looking around I'm not noticing any flame wars or much of any bickering.

... give it time - things are known to get a teensy bit heated in the movie section. :tlol:

But for the most part, the majority of folks get along ok. :tcool:

Mzx10484
01-26-2015, 01:37 AM
Hey, welcome & greetings from Germany !! 8)

Creativemind
01-26-2015, 04:05 AM
Man, I think this is the most welcomes I have ever got in an introduction thread.

Slade
01-26-2015, 08:56 AM
Welcome aboard.

Ravenshell
01-29-2015, 02:41 PM
Howdy and welcome!

Sorry you lost your cousin, but I'm glad you remember such fond times with him and have the show to associate those times with. :)