PDA

View Full Version : Your underrated bands/artists?

Wesley
01-28-2015, 02:45 PM
Anyone know any underrated bands/artists? I like the following underrated artists:

Nelly Furtado
Rachel Stevens

Powder
01-28-2015, 03:05 PM
Nobody with hit singles & millions & millions of views on Youtube is underrated.

Creativemind
01-28-2015, 03:19 PM
Nobody with hit singles & millions & millions of views on Youtube is underrated.

I disagree. Clutch is an underrated band. Just about everyone has heard a Clutch song at some point but hardly anyone knows who they are.

pennydreadful
01-28-2015, 04:01 PM
Just to clarify, cuz I'm not sure how to answer this - does 'underrated' mean not well known/immediately recognized? Or does it mean not commercially successful? Or does it mean they don't get enough props for actually being talented musicians?

Creativemind
01-28-2015, 04:31 PM
Just to clarify, cuz I'm not sure how to answer this - does 'underrated' mean not well known/immediately recognized? Or does it mean not commercially successful? Or does it mean they don't get enough props for actually being talented musicians?

Well what 'underrated' has always meant to me was something or someone that doesn't get enough recognition.

Powder
01-28-2015, 05:07 PM
& millions of views long after their period of relevance has ended doesn't count as recognition?

Creativemind
01-28-2015, 06:14 PM
& millions of views long after their period of relevance has ended doesn't count as recognition? they are still relevant enough to have music featured in video games and tv shows But they are still underrated And I will feel that way until they are on the cover of rolling stone or at the grammys.

Powder
01-28-2015, 06:30 PM
So anyone that isn't constantly in the public eye/media is underrated? That logic seems silly to me.

Mew
01-28-2015, 06:32 PM
Partners in Kryme.
ONLY know for TMNT.
Pity!

Prowler
01-28-2015, 06:33 PM
Nelly Furtado, underrated? The fact that she even has fans makes her overrated. I'm still traumatized over Euro 2004's theme. Try being forced to listen to that **** everyday for about a month.

pennydreadful
01-28-2015, 06:48 PM
I don't take Rolling Stone or Grammys into consideration; sure, some influential artists have been on the cover of RS... but so have Britney Spears and The Backstreet Boys.

As far as Grammys go - Britney Spears, Creed, Celine Dion ... I mean, this is the types of soulless, corporate pap that should be kept away from the music industry. We're talking about an institution that gave U2's "How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb" the Grammy for Album of the Year. :roll:

It all seems like a bit of a popularity contest and a gimmick by record companies to shove advertising for their bands of choice down our throats.

I'll agree that there are lots of incredibly talented artists who don't get the hype that they should - but hype itself isn't an indication of talent. I don't think that getting a Rolling Stone cover is an indication that you've made it (despite what Dr Hook says), or that you're good - it just means that someone has a commercial interest in hyping you.

Creativemind
01-28-2015, 07:02 PM
So anyone that isn't constantly in the public eye/media is underrated? That logic seems silly to me.

Underrated means that they have less than they deserve. They may be well off but they still deserve more.

pennydreadful
01-28-2015, 07:18 PM
She has a net worth of $25 million dollars.

I pray that one day I'm that underrated. :lol:

Seriously though; I'm a fan of some great musicians who would kill to have a net worth of $1 million, let alone $25 million.

Creativemind
01-28-2015, 08:09 PM
She has a net worth of $25 million dollars.

I pray that one day I'm that underrated. :lol:

Seriously though; I'm a fan of some great musicians who would kill to have a net worth of $1 million, let alone $25 million.

I was talking about Clutch. Rock music has been under appreciated in current times and the ones who get recognized are pure garbage.

ToTheNines
01-28-2015, 08:18 PM
I listen to a lot if punk rock, so I have a lot of bands on my underrated list lol. My favourite band though... A Wilhelm Scream, I can't believe they haven't had mainstream success when bands like say Rise Against have.

Also I love underground rap, and it baffles me that guys like MF DOOM, Del, Aesop Rock, Binary Star and stuff literally blow my mind but they've gone largely unnoticed.

pennydreadful
01-28-2015, 09:06 PM
I was talking about Clutch.

My bad - I thought we were still discussing her. :)

Rock music has been under appreciated in current times and the ones who get recognized are pure garbage.

On that, you and I are in total agreement.

Gunpowder
01-28-2015, 11:30 PM
Underrated is usually a pretty subjective term, but I'd say (as a genre) punk rock and pop punk have become universally unacknowledged by now...they had their glory years back in '95 - '05, but now - ten years later - they've basically died off. Awfully unfortunate, but I'm probably in the 1% on that one.

I don't particularly mind it when artists aren't recognized, though...higher production values usually means straying away from an original sound.

Combination of the first and third one. Generally just means not as many people like or know about them as one would expect...it's kind of an ambiguous term, I agree... :ohwell:

*sees Powder in the thread*
*realizes "Let Me Know" was blaring in my earphones a few seconds ago*

Hmm. Yeah, I'd say you're pretty underrated, too.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT:
I listen to a lot if punk rock, so I have a lot of bands on my underrated list lol. My favourite band though... A Wilhelm Scream, I can't believe they haven't had mainstream success when bands like say Rise Against have.

Also I love underground rap, and it baffles me that guys like MF DOOM, Del, Aesop Rock, Binary Star and stuff literally blow my mind but they've gone largely unnoticed.

Didn't see this last time....wow. I essentially copied your post without even realizing it, haha. My bad. Looks like I'm not in the 1% after all. :tcool:

Wesley
01-29-2015, 11:18 AM

'Underrated' for me means that an artist/band isn't well known in comparison to others or is commercially unsuccessful.

pennydreadful
01-29-2015, 06:13 PM
Ah. Well in that case... I could list several underrated bands but... you probably wouldn't have heard of them. :P

Ultimate Hipster Level achieved. :lol:

http://i.imgur.com/fcvZw9q.png?1

Michael-Andrew-lo
01-29-2015, 07:02 PM
underrated is a difficult term and can often contradict itself... for instance...

i would say george harrison is very famous and successful, but an underrated songwriter. As part of the beatles i would say he is often overrrated also.

but if we are talking about bands/artists that dont have enough recognition in respect to them being skilled, which i would say is the default meaning most people assume...there are lots. In fact i would say most of the greatest musicians around today are much less in the public eye and are certainly not celebrities.

Leo656
01-29-2015, 09:01 PM
It's tough because there's also a lot of really successful bands that still make good music, but are past their "Hipness" expiration date, so it becomes cool to hate on them, despite the fact they're still really good, just "different" from how they were when it was "cool" to like them. It's like you're only "allowed" to like a band for about three years or two albums, whichever comes first, after that "They Suck".

So I'd argue that even bands that have reached a certain level of acclaim can be underrated, simply because everything they do past a certain point is automatically dismissed by most people. "Are they still around? GOD, they should just hang it up. The fact that I personally haven't heard of them since (Name Of Their Biggest Record) means they really must have gone to sh*t."

Gunpowder
01-29-2015, 11:24 PM
Ah. Well in that case... I could list several underrated bands but... you probably wouldn't have heard of them. :P

Ultimate Hipster Level achieved. :lol:

http://i.imgur.com/fcvZw9q.png?1

Oh my god, I actually tried to press the play button...

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e23/Lemullit/Whatever/Derp/risos_zpsnnicp1mj.gif (http://s36.photobucket.com/user/Lemullit/media/Whatever/Derp/risos_zpsnnicp1mj.gif.html)

Michael-Andrew-lo
01-31-2015, 09:10 PM
my reply gets ignored again :(

Powder
01-31-2015, 09:16 PM
What do you expect?

Cure
01-31-2015, 09:22 PM
my reply gets ignored again :(

Sorry, bro! I'll humor you!:

underrated is a difficult term and can often contradict itself... for instance...

i would say george harrison is very famous and successful, but an underrated songwriter. As part of the beatles i would say he is often overrrated also.

but if we are talking about bands/artists that dont have enough recognition in respect to them being skilled, which i would say is the default meaning most people assume...there are lots. In fact i would say most of the greatest musicians around today are much less in the public eye and are certainly not celebrities.

Cool.

Michael-Andrew-lo
01-31-2015, 09:23 PM
ha ha ha ha

Michael-Andrew-lo
01-31-2015, 09:24 PM
didnt realise an intelligent reply would be met with such disdain

i shall move my musings back to my own mind

Michael-Andrew-lo
01-31-2015, 09:35 PM
probably should have written an ill informed reply of novice understanding of the gravitas of such an enormously communicative force such as music to make myself seem more..... RAD? to fit in?

dammit... i thought a tmnt forum would be a little more....easy going

is this too ironic or sarcastic to seem funny , or am i literally being offensive?

even i dont know anymore

Powder
01-31-2015, 09:39 PM
I have no idea where you're going with this but nobody was trying to hurt your feelings or anything, dude. Not every reply gets acknowledged, they don't always have to be. That's not a personal thing by any means. I'm a dude with 16k posts & I'm sure a quarter or more of them were me stating my opinion & going on my merry way. Such is the nature of forums. Did you make valid points? Sure! But others have too. It becomes reiteration at a point, you know? Take it easy, brotha man.

Michael-Andrew-lo
01-31-2015, 09:52 PM
its cool, i will stick to just making deals/friends privately than conversing publicly. have fun!

no animosity intended

THGhost
02-12-2015, 08:29 PM
In an attempt to re-rail this thread...

Not sure if they qualify as "underrated", but I think Fireflight are pretty good.

pWRJAHaOrYg

qcRMNiZtj5s

XYhfVcY1sEY

SophieDem
02-14-2015, 10:57 AM
In an attempt to re-rail this thread...

Not sure if they qualify as "underrated", but I think Fireflight are pretty good.

pWRJAHaOrYg

qcRMNiZtj5s

XYhfVcY1sEY

Who doesn't know them? :D
Fireflight is brilliant.

Hope you guys like these guys ^^
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjvLbdUKJMg

Amaranthus
02-14-2015, 11:47 AM
didnt realise an intelligent reply would be met with such disdain

I didn't realize a reply without capitals and other grammatical issues could still be intelligent.
I humbly accept this new knowledge.

THGhost
02-15-2015, 04:40 PM
Who doesn't know them? :D
Fireflight is brilliant.

Pretty much everyone I know and anyone who only listens to what's in the charts. :lol:
I'm glad you think so. :D

pennydreadful
02-15-2015, 05:45 PM
There's a band called Seven Sermons which I think is underrated; they're a local Australian band who sound very similar to Tool. If you Google around, you can find their EP, and they have two music videos up on Youtube.

judasghost
02-17-2015, 12:34 PM
SUPERDRAG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dU6nZGfxhM

LOCAL H
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxsqX824kxw

FRANKIE MACHINE / THE FLYING TIGERS / HOPE REPUBLIC
(3 bands fronted by Ryan Martin)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xx-AKuWpKE8

Mew
02-17-2015, 12:46 PM
Partners in Kryme; Undercover
Great underrated song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6Yre3xHO-w

Wesley
04-01-2015, 05:33 PM
I think Bressie and Nicola Roberts are underrated singers.

Krutch
04-06-2015, 05:33 AM
Dream Jefferson
Ex Hex
Timecop1986

Kanon
04-09-2015, 03:33 AM
- 3rd Wish
- Daniel Powter
- HIM
- Gorillaz
- Juanes
- Tatoo

Just a few groups/artists I think who deserves more. The radio channels play only one song of them in a year! :x