PDA

View Full Version : Your reading habits

Prowler
01-28-2015, 06:48 PM
After getting to know how you guys got into literature, I'd like to know your reading habits. And by that I'm basically asking you "How often do you read?". And I'm mostly referring to novels, obviously. I mean, everyone reads on a daily basis, even if it's just the info on the back of the cereal box.

I read between 10 and 15 fiction novels per year. I'd read more if I was less lazy and university wasn't in the way. Hard to motivate yourself to read whilst taking a break from... reading for uni.

Also, where do you usually read books? I've heard stories of people reading in public parks and in the train on their way to work, etc. but I cant' bring myself to read a novel in a public place unless it was during a long plane trip or something. No way I could ever read in public parks with all the noise, people running, walking their dogs, leaves falling on my head etc. I can only read on my bed. I have trouble keeping a good body position and posture on the couch or the chair. The bed is comfy and my mattress is good for the back. Used to fall asleep at first, but not anymore.

Storm Eagle
02-03-2015, 11:29 AM
I just read when I'm able to find something interesting, and how often that is varies.

I'll also read at home, but I'll also read in public places, like where I have to wait for something. You know, like the doctor's office, or when I'm getting something done to my car like an oil change. I might even have a book with me to read while I wait on a line or something. I'll also read on public transportation.

pennydreadful
02-03-2015, 06:03 PM
I read something from a novel every single day - I honestly couldn't tell you how many books I get through in a year.

I read at work on my lunch break. I read at home. I read when I'm in a waiting room, I read when I'm at my grandmothers' house, I read when I'm waiting in the car while the other half is getting stuff from the shopping center and I don't feel like dealing with the crowds. Wherever I go, I have a book with me (or my Kindle), and if I happen to be alone and I'm not at a computer or currently watching something, I'll be reading.

Gunpowder
02-03-2015, 08:29 PM
I'm very weird with my reading. I'll only read something when it's assigned to me for school - which hasn't happened at all in the past year or so, since I'm done with English forever - but I always enjoyed what I was made to read. Crime and Punishment quickly became my favorite book of all time after a single read...maybe I'll give it a second go someday.

I always prefer drawing over reading, which is the sole reason why I don't read voluntarily.

snake
02-03-2015, 08:32 PM
Really need to get back into reading books. I mean, I could read hundreds of articles online if the topic interested me, but I kinda phased out books. Last one I read was about a month ago.

MsMarvelDuckie
02-16-2015, 08:24 PM
I used to read voraciously, but I no longer have the money for books, my Kindle is on the fritz (I'm really ticked, too, cause I can't get it to turn on at all) and my only reading lately has been fan-fics.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
02-16-2015, 09:13 PM
I used to read all the freaking time, but after I got married, I found that it was easier to share stories I loved by watching movies or TV together. That can be done as a couple; reading is strictly solo.

The only things I read anymore are two different science fiction series I avidly support plus, of course, TMNT comics.

THGhost
02-21-2015, 11:18 PM
I watch a lot of movies and TV on a daily basis and play the odd video game every now and then, so the only time I get to read is in bed at night or when I'm not in the mood to watch anything. I really should try to read during the day more often, it would be better for my eyes (I wear glasses).

senpai
03-03-2015, 12:26 AM
I mean, I can read just about anywhere. I work part-time at a library so I'm always checking out new things. If it's slow, I'll read at the desk. Or, if I'm at school, I'll read between breaks. Depending on the narrator, I can be a huge sucker for audiobooks. I absolutely love a good audiobook, and they are so handy to have when you're out driving or jogging. If you're anything like me and have crazy insomnia, an audiobook can help curve all your troubled thoughts and whisk you away to dreamland. :3 Audiobooks will save your life someday! xP

pennydreadful
03-03-2015, 04:12 AM
I swear, working at a library would be my dream job. Well actually I have like, 50 dream jobs, but that would be one of them! :D

senpai
03-03-2015, 09:50 AM
I swear, working at a library would be my dream job. Well actually I have like, 50 dream jobs, but that would be one of them! :D

It's not hard to land a library job. You can totally do it! The only disadvantage is there's no room for advancement. To become a librarian you need a master's degree and I'm like psh eff that.

Netkeeper
03-03-2015, 09:54 AM
or in the litter box.
Uhh, right.

senpai
03-03-2015, 10:41 AM
Uhh, right.

Wait, so, you DON'T read in the litter box? :\ Mmm...That's kinda strange, Netkeeper.

Netkeeper
03-03-2015, 11:48 AM
Your avatar suits the tone of your post perfectly, haha.

senpai
03-03-2015, 12:28 PM
Your avatar suits the tone of your post perfectly, haha.

Hey, thanks! :D Haha! I wish there were more images of the turtles drinking tea. I suppose I could always use Splinter...

blindturtle02
03-03-2015, 02:27 PM
I usually read one novel or so per week depending on how long it is. Sometimes I do two if they're both shorter. I've always got something to read, especially since I can read pretty much everywhere now with digital. I can't read while laying down. I'll go to sleep if I do that. Other than that, I read while cooking, biking, doing the coffee thing most mornings, cleaning house, during downime, and that's pretty much it. I do both braille and audiobooks. Of course I can't read while cooking so I'll switch to audio with whichever novel I'm reading. Same goes for biking and housecleaning.

BubblyShell22
03-03-2015, 04:48 PM
I read every day and enjoy it. I usually have one book in the living room I read and one in my room for when I get writer's block while writing fan fics. When at school, I used to read during my free time and while I was waiting for class to start.

Prowler
08-11-2015, 07:07 PM
Figured I might as well bump this thread of mine since the question fits the subject at hand.

How long do you guys usually read for? As in, how many pages a day, on average? Can you read a big novel in one day or one set? I usually read about 50 o 100 pages before taking a break. However, there's been times where I've read a novel in one day. Fahrenheit 450 and 1984 being two of them. I took breaks, but just couldn't wait until the next day to see what was gonna happen next.

I usually read for about an hour or two in each session. Usually takes me 1 minute per page. Depending on the book, it can take me 2 hours to read 135 pages or just about 100. I know people who read about 20 pages a day and it takes them 2 weeks or so to finis ha book, but I can't just put down a book after 15-20 pages. So I usually take about 3 or 4 days to finish a book I've started. A week if I reallyyyyyyyyyyy procrastinate or am finding the book a bit of a chore to read. Or just happen to have other stuff to do.

MsMarvelDuckie
08-11-2015, 08:19 PM
My personal record was 1049 pages in about six hours. Steven King's It. On two 2-hr plane flights, an hour in between lay-over on the first flight, and another hour during the last night's hotel stay. Was the fastest I've ever gotten through a book. Usually I can finish a 5-600 page book in about three days, if I don't have much else to do. Fast reader....

pennydreadful
08-12-2015, 04:21 AM
If I'm left to my own devices, I can happily read all day and all night. Unfortunately it's been a long while since I've had the free time to be able to do so!

ObiWanFan4life
08-12-2015, 05:56 AM
When I'm not studying or at work, I read whenever I can. When I'm alone, I sometimes read as if I were reciting a play. :lol:

Prowler
08-12-2015, 08:01 PM
My personal record was 1049 pages in about six hours. Steven King's It. On two 2-hr plane flights, an hour in between lay-over on the first flight, and another hour during the last night's hotel stay. Was the fastest I've ever gotten through a book. Usually I can finish a 5-600 page book in about three days, if I don't have much else to do. Fast reader....
I read Fahrenheit 450 in about 3 hours or so. But that's a short book. So I guess my record is about 200+ pages in 3 hours.

1049 pages in six hours is just crazy. But we all know someone who can knock down a 600+ page bovel in one day. My mother is one of those people.

MikeandRaph87
08-12-2015, 08:08 PM

I just read that book in June into July. It took me 24 days to get through 1,090pages from this edition. Its the second longest book I ever read. Love it much more than the two part serial minus Bev's promiscuity 80% into it.

http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1309376909l/18342.jpgI read 265 pages of East of Eden back in high school to finish it over Christmas break binge reading it all on Christmas Eve to get it over with. The only time I would have passed that would be reading Batman: The Long Halloween which is a graphic novel tpb.

I read Batman/Spider-Man/TMNT graphic novels, biographies, comprehensive history books like Oxford History of The United States and other books that appeal to me like Stephen King's It, Go Set A Watchmen, and I just started reading The Martian.

PangolinFeets
08-12-2015, 08:31 PM
When I was in high school I was a damn machine. I read big books just to have a big story. I read LOTR amd The Hobbit and was so upset when they were over. I remember clearing War and Peace in a week or something. I don't have time to read like I used to anymore, so I just pick up the occasional interest off the best seller list.

Recent obsession: Ancillary Justice by Anne Leckie. Sooo cool.