PDA

View Full Version : TMNT: Rescue Palooza

Nelson
02-02-2015, 10:57 PM
Hello, Technodrome friends. If you are like me and can't get enough of the clasic TMNT titles for the NES, you might be interested in a game I have been been working on. As the title of the thread implies, the game is called TMNT Rescue Palooza, where up to four players go to newly recolored stages from the classic games as well as a couple of new stages (like the Channel 6 building).

As you progress through the game you'll unlock characters from the Fred Wolf Cartoon like April, Splinter, Casey, etc. The list of unlockable characters is quite long so this project will take quite a bit of time to be completed.

The gameplay mimics the one from the NES games so it's basic, please don't expect fancy combos or elements from TMNT in Time or the like.

4CiLOX5JZm8

You can download a demo at http://gamejolt.com/games/arcade/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-rescue-palooza/39658/

oldmanwinters
02-03-2015, 06:14 AM
My goodness, Nelson!

You win the internet for today! Howvlong have you been working on this and why have I just now learned of it?

Powder
02-03-2015, 07:02 AM
Such attention to detail! Truly a labor of love, from the Tournament Fighters (SNES) health & special gauges, to the Playmates cardback themed character selection screen. The spritework is awesome, both the backgrounds & avatar/cutscene art look beautiful. Your creativity with respect to April's fighting style is on point, whoa! The microphone whip concept is freakin' stellar & I love the camera flash special attack, too. I cannot wait to see what else you have in store for us. I hope this thing gets as much of your attention as real life permits! :tlol:

If there's anything I can help with (like, say, remixes of the NES songs to go along with your updated visuals) I'd love to be a part of it.

Ninjinister
02-03-2015, 12:03 PM
I think it's super neat! Makes me wish I'd stuck with my fangame.

Jester
02-03-2015, 12:39 PM
Usagi's totally a playable character... :D

oldmanwinters
02-03-2015, 01:05 PM
Such attention to detail! Truly a labor of love, from the Tournament Fighters (SNES) health & special gauges, to the Playmates cardback themed character selection screen. The spritework is awesome, both the backgrounds & avatar/cutscene art look beautiful. Your creativity with respect to April's fighting style is on point, whoa! The microphone whip concept is freakin' stellar & I love the camera flash special attack, too. I cannot wait to see what else you have in store for us. I hope this thing gets as much of your attention as real life permits! :tlol:

Indeed! Who would have thought the Castlevania franchise would make the perfect base for April O'Neil beat em' up sprites? Considering both games were Konami's doing, it really makes for a perfect amalgamation! The microphone and camera flash attacks are something that would have totally happened in the bit-era of games. Speaking of the sprite-work, they are beautifully done and are very convincing 16-bit upgrades in the same vein as Super Mario All-Stars or Ninja Gaiden Trilogy.

I think Nelson has truly pulled off something amazing here by turning vintage reporter April into an amusing and competent character in the old games. Since the original TMNT2 NES game featured a regular weak standing attack and the 2-button strong attack as a reward for good timing, should we expect any equivalent for April? I noticed it seems to take her about three whips to take out an average Foot Soldier instead of two weak attacks. I'm curious to see if her exceptional attack range will compensate for her lower attack power (and no diagonal jump kicks, I assume) when it comes to the level bosses who presumably have equally long attack ranges (Rocksteady's quick kick was so frustrating to me back in the day).

So do I!

Say... what's the status of TMNT: Deliverance Reshelled? :tcool:

Oh, man... I am curious as to whether they'll be a forth playable character. I don't know who would be the next logical choice after Casey, Splinter, and April.

Longview01
02-03-2015, 02:40 PM
Love the graphics

Jester
02-03-2015, 05:51 PM
Has anyone played through the demo? He added audio clips of April, Mikey, Usagi and Ground Chuck when they take damage or do their special attacks. It's gonna be great. Keep up the work.

oldmanwinters
02-03-2015, 05:52 PM

Aw, dang, I thought you were joking until I saw the screenshot on Nelson's download site!
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a56/slimer2erasmus/77239_zpsan3bse4e.jpg (http://s9.photobucket.com/user/slimer2erasmus/media/77239_zpsan3bse4e.jpg.html)

Nelson
02-03-2015, 09:11 PM
Thank you very much guys for your kind comments.
My goodness, Nelson!

You win the internet for today! Howvlong have you been working on this and why have I just now learned of it?
Adam, old friend! I was sure you would like it, specially since April is a playable character.
I didn't post about this before because I was waiting to make some more progress and have a meatier download available. But I haven't made any progress in over a month so I said what the hell, let's share what's been done so far.

If there's anything I can help with (like, say, remixes of the NES songs to go along with your updated visuals) I'd love to be a part of it.
Dude you're making me blush, haha. Anyway I am SO GLAD that you're offering to help, because you already made those great recreations of some of the melodies of the cartoon. Now, I don't want to update the existing NES songs as I really like them the way they are. What would be nice to have though is additional songs in the same NES/Konami style. Because one of the new levels involve the Channel 6 building, it would be nice to have the Channel 6 theme "konamizised", you know: looping chiptune, faster tempo, maybe that "heroes in a half shell!" melody thrown in. Would you be interested in making something like that?
Is it too late now to continue?
Speaking of the sprite-work, they are beautifully done and are very convincing 16-bit upgrades in the same vein as Super Mario All-Stars or Ninja Gaiden Trilogy.
That is EXACTLY what I set out to do, a TMNT game heavily inspired in what Mario All Stars did. Originally I was going to do a straight update of TMNT2, but then decided that it would be more fun to do a fun amalgamation/homage to those games and the cartoon. BTW two levels are based on TMNT1 but keeping the Z axis (that means no crouching)
Since the original TMNT2 NES game featured a regular weak standing attack and the 2-button strong attack as a reward for good timing, should we expect any equivalent for April?
Dude, I was hoping I could get away with not giving anyone that 2-button move other than the 4 turtles. Sorry? It's just there's so many characters left to do. Anyway I may reconsider this. In any case April's range is greater than Rocksteady's kick. So it's quite easy to play as her, you just need to be a little more patient due to her not being as strong as the others.
Has anyone played through the demo? He added audio clips of April, Mikey, Usagi and Ground Chuck when they take damage or do their special attacks. It's gonna be great. Keep up the work.
Thanks for pointing that out, Jester. The video I posted is old and outdated. I still haven't uploaded a newer gameplay video. Thanks for trying out the game and for the nice feedback!

Powder
02-03-2015, 09:50 PM
What would be nice to have though is additional songs in the same NES/Konami style. Because one of the new levels involve the Channel 6 building, it would be nice to have the Channel 6 theme "konamizised", you know: looping chiptune, faster tempo, maybe that "heroes in a half shell!" melody thrown in. Would you be interested in making something like that?

I would absolutely be into that. The only thing is I can't perfectly replicate them 100%, it'll have a decidedly 8bit sound & be chiptunes, but not created using the same software as Konami. Know what I mean? I'll make a 10-20 second sample for your approval, & if you don't mind the slight difference, I'll be happy to create full songs afterward.

oldmanwinters
02-03-2015, 09:59 PM
Thank you very much guys for your kind comments.

Adam, old friend! I was sure you would like it, specially since April is a playable character.

Dude, I was hoping I could get away with not giving anyone that 2-button move other than the 4 turtles. Sorry? It's just there's so many characters left to do. Anyway I may reconsider this. In any case April's range is greater than Rocksteady's kick. So it's quite easy to play as her, you just need to be a little more patient due to her not being as strong as the others.

Well, after playing through the demo, I have nothing but joy at your hard work!

I do have a few thoughts I might share. I can understand the desire not to want to give the other characters a fierce attack other than their special gauges; I think that's probably wise after playing a bit.

Much to my surprise, April seemed to be near indestructible against average enemies. I had considerably more success with her than Usagi on account of his range has to be so close while it seems April can whip attack a quarter of a screen at once and collect multiple enemies in one swoop. I was expecting that patience would be a big part of her success (and it certainly was with stationary weapons on the watership and the bosses) but she really seems to tear through the levels too quickly despite her low attack power.

In the original NES game, I seem to remember the hit detection was such that it wouldn't be advisable to try and get too greedy spamming the weak attack since an enemy gained a temporary immunity after the first hit to launch a counter attack. April seems to be able to whip the mic ad nauseam without much fear of rebuttal.

Maybe some lessons from Konami's infamous Adventures of Bayou Billy might be applicable regarding mic whip strategy. In that game, the key to success was whipping and then evading counter attacks. If there's any way to implement something like that it may prevent April from being a broken character.

Now to be fair... April may be a borderline broken character, but she's nevertheless quite enjoyable!

Nelson
02-03-2015, 10:01 PM
I would absolutely be into that. The only thing is I can't perfectly replicate them 100%, it'll have a decidedly 8bit sound & be chiptunes, but not created using the same software as Konami. Know what I mean? I'll make a 10-20 second sample for your approval, & if you don't mind the slight difference, I'll be happy to create full songs afterward.

Yes, I think you need specific soundfonts to make it sound like Konami, so don't worry about that. An approximation is fine. Hey you could even cheat and take the beats from a Konami song and just worry about the melody. Anyway Im glad to hear you're interested. Thanks!

DarkFell
02-03-2015, 10:12 PM
Keep on updating us with your game construction. You got me interested too.

Nelson
02-03-2015, 10:12 PM
Well, after playing through the demo, I have nothing but joy at your hard work!

Thanks, buddy!
In the original NES game, I seem to remember the hit detection was such that it wouldn't be advisable to try and get too greedy spamming the weak attack since an enemy gained a temporary immunity after the first hit to launch a counter attack. April seems to be able to whip the mic ad nauseam without much fear of rebuttal.

This applies to all characters now. You can hit the foot soldiers twice or three times in a row, they don't get that weird temporary invincibility. I honestly believe that that aspect of the original game was a mistake that somehow was overlooked during testing.
Maybe some lessons from Konami's infamous Adventures of Bayou Billy might be applicable regarding mic whip strategy. In that game, the key to success was whipping and then evading counter attacks. If there's any way to implement something like that it may prevent April from being a broken character.

Did you get to Tora? I feel you have to do that whipping/evading technique against him, otherwise you're toast. Thanks for the feedback, I might have to make further adjustments to make sure all the characters are balanced.

oldmanwinters
02-03-2015, 10:22 PM
Thanks, buddy!

This applies to all characters now. You can hit the foot soldiers twice or three times in a row, they don't get that weird temporary invincibility. I honestly believe that that aspect of the original game was a mistake that somehow was overlooked during testing.

Did you get to Tora? I feel you have to do that whipping/evading technique against him, otherwise you're toast. Thanks for the feedback, I might have to make further adjustments to make sure all the characters are balanced.

Oh, yeah, the bosses are definitely another story with April. Tora was pretty tricky to handle, especially since he doesn't seem to suffer much stun when you hit him as the rock falls on his head like in the original game.
It is surprising to me that April seems to have even more range than Groundchuck when he grabs his pipe (4 star rating vs 3 star rating apparently). And regarding her camera flash special, might it also be a little too powerful in that it tends to kill all the regular enemies on screen in an instant? Perhaps it could just count as one or two hits of damage as opposed to three or more?

I always thought the original game's temporary invincibility was basically a punishment to the player for not executing a fierce attack successfully. But it is interesting to see the game without such a feature. I think if April's whip animation took a few more frames to activate, it might give the enemies a chance to swoop in and attack her. Theoretically, having multiple enemies surrounding her at a close range should put her at a big disadvantage.

I don't think anybody has mentioned it yet, but the cartoon voiceclips really work well in a game like this. I'm really curious as to see how the whole game will come together as characters are unlocked after being rescued. It was kinda strange playing as April in the frozen Central Park level since she's still technically "kidnapped" at that point in the original game.

Powder
02-04-2015, 09:14 PM
Yes, I think you need specific soundfonts to make it sound like Konami, so don't worry about that. An approximation is fine. Hey you could even cheat and take the beats from a Konami song and just worry about the melody. Anyway Im glad to hear you're interested. Thanks!

Okay, I managed to gave this a whirl. I basically just made up an original composition (not a whole song, just a chunk) using the sounds from Konami's NES soundchip. Not the best emulation of the TMNT game sound, per se (my forte is Turtle In Time, I made a whole album's worth of stuff mimicking that game's OST a few years ago) but it's just a rough cut to see where I stand with this project of yours. I can change the 'keyboard' sounds, mind you, so if the leads don't quite sound NES enough, I'll play around with it more.

Lemmie know! http://picosong.com/L62Y/

Nelson
02-04-2015, 09:57 PM
Okay, I managed to gave this a whirl. I basically just made up an original composition (not a whole song, just a chunk) using the sounds from Konami's NES soundchip. Not the best emulation of the TMNT game sound, per se (my forte is Turtle In Time, I made a whole album's worth of stuff mimicking that game's OST a few years ago) but it's just a rough cut to see where I stand with this project of yours. I can change the 'keyboard' sounds, mind you, so if the leads don't quite sound NES enough, I'll play around with it more.

Lemmie know! http://picosong.com/L62Y/
Dude that sounds great! I think you were able to pull off the NES sound quite well, and also the tune is pretty catchy - I listened to it four times in a row already! Thanks for being on board. Also I'm not sure but I don't remember hearing about the TMNT4 inspired album before. Have a link?

Keep on updating us with your game construction. You got me interested too.

Thanks, man.
And regarding her camera flash special, might it also be a little too powerful in that it tends to kill all the regular enemies on screen in an instant? Perhaps it could just count as one or two hits of damage as opposed to three or more?
That or increasing the time it takes to fill the MP bar.

I think if April's whip animation took a few more frames to activate, it might give the enemies a chance to swoop in and attack her. Theoretically, having multiple enemies surrounding her at a close range should put her at a big disadvantage.
First I'll try changing the attack box so that her attack doesn't cover her back and thus makes her more vulnerable.

I don't think anybody has mentioned it yet, but the cartoon voiceclips really work well in a game like this. I'm really curious as to see how the whole game will come together as characters are unlocked after being rescued. It was kinda strange playing as April in the frozen Central Park level since she's still technically "kidnapped" at that point in the original game.
Thank you. At first I was afraid that the voice clips wouldn't merge well with the game but now I wouldn't be able to go back to how it was without them, it adds personality to the characters. I would like to get more voice clips for April and Mike so that they shuffle randomly, in the case of April during her special she would alternate from "is this ever news!" to "what a story" and, if I'm able to find such a line in the show, "smile!"
Regarding the timeline, this happens after TMNT2. It's just a giant coincidence that Central Park is covered in snow AGAIN due to Tora, AGAIN, haha. Let me paste the main basic plot of the game from a post I made in anotherboard I frequent:

The reason why Shredder decided to kidnap a bunch of the Turtles' friends is to celebrate the 25+ anniversary of their feud (although in true cartoon fashion no one has aged and everything looks the same). Players will rescue (at least) one character per stage. After that char is rescued, it becomes selectable. Additionally, Donatello is carrying his newest invention, the duplicator (name is a placeholder). With it, he'll be able to create robot duplicate of the bosses. In other words, after each stage, both the rescued characters and the bosses become selectable.

Anyway Shredder at some point will say "try to find your friends", with the turtles replying "we have a pretty good idea of where to look", and go to these locations from previous games.

I will be very busy in the upcoming weeks so I won't be able to work much or any on the game for around 3 weeks. In the meantime here's a couple of sprites of Irma, who transforms briefly into Super Irma for her special.

http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/ae116/merso/irma_200.png

Powder
02-04-2015, 10:26 PM
Dude that sounds great! I think you were able to pull off the NES sound quite well, and also the tune is pretty catchy - I listened to it four times in a row already! Thanks for being on board. Also I'm not sure but I don't remember hearing about the TMNT4 inspired album before. Have a link?

Sweet, thanks, glad you like it! I haven't played your demo yet but if any sections of that are ones you'd like to have original music for, let me know. Being familiar with each level will give me a good idea on how to score them. & if that track I was working on fits in anywhere, that too can be used (once completed, that is). As for that other project I mentioned, I never put it out. I didn't use SNES sounds for it (just vaguely similar stuff) which made me sorta self conscious about the overall presentation. I put it aside in the hopes I'd one day be able to match it to the SNES port, but I've yet to. If I could find out what kinda keyboard was used on TiT & Sunset Riders, I'd make soundfonts or VST's out of them & replace what's there now. At any rate, the songs are decent enough to share with you, if nothing else, so I'll shoot you a link to that in a PM, as well as some voice clips I have from the 1987 series.

oldmanwinters
02-05-2015, 12:50 AM
I will be very busy in the upcoming weeks so I won't be able to work much or any on the game for around 3 weeks. In the meantime here's a couple of sprites of Irma, who transforms briefly into Super Irma for her special.

http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/ae116/merso/irma_200.png

Irma too! And Super Irma? You really do think of everything!

TheCanadiandrome
02-05-2015, 01:40 AM
I'm going to try this

Bry
02-05-2015, 05:40 AM
Whoa, this is super cool! Love seeing April kick a little ass. And the grayscale colour option is a nice touch. Really looking forward to how this develops. Thanks for sharing, Nelson!

And nice job on the theme, Powder! I love it when folks around here get creative.

Nelson
02-05-2015, 02:26 PM
Sweet, thanks, glad you like it! I haven't played your demo yet but if any sections of that are ones you'd like to have original music for, let me know. Being familiar with each level will give me a good idea on how to score them. & if that track I was working on fits in anywhere, that too can be used (once completed, that is). As for that other project I mentioned, I never put it out. I didn't use SNES sounds for it (just vaguely similar stuff) which made me sorta self conscious about the overall presentation. I put it aside in the hopes I'd one day be able to match it to the SNES port, but I've yet to. If I could find out what kinda keyboard was used on TiT & Sunset Riders, I'd make soundfonts or VST's out of them & replace what's there now. At any rate, the songs are decent enough to share with you, if nothing else, so I'll shoot you a link to that in a PM, as well as some voice clips I have from the 1987 series.
We could use it for the Dimension X level. I would also like to have a new boss fight theme for the penultimate enemy in the game, and it would be a remix of a specific BGM from the cartoon (if possible). But we'll cross that bridge when we get there.
I'm listening to the TiT tracks right now and they're a lot of fun! I'm not reading their titles but it's obvious which one is based on which. I think they're cool as they are though, but if you really need them to sound like the arcade, maybe coatlesscarl from youtube could lend a hand.

Irma too! And Super Irma? You really do think of everything!
Danke!

Whoa, this is super cool! Love seeing April kick a little ass. And the grayscale colour option is a nice touch. Really looking forward to how this develops. Thanks for sharing, Nelson!

And nice job on the theme, Powder! I love it when folks around here get creative.
Thanks!

Ninjinister
02-05-2015, 02:47 PM
Is it too late now to continue?

Well it's been "in production" since like 08 or 09, and I haven't touched it in 3 years... plus I was going to get a remake of oldmanwinters' game out first. Life and original content games have taken precedence.

Maybe someday.

oldmanwinters
02-05-2015, 03:44 PM
plus I was going to get a remake of oldmanwinters' game out first. Life and original content games have taken precedence.

Maybe someday.

Woo-hoo!
http://turtlepedia.wikia.com/wiki/Teenage_Mutant_Ninja_Turtles:_Deliverance

I like to think that my little project from ten years ago might have at least helped to put the idea for this masterful game into Nelson's head! :tlol:

TheCanadiandrome
02-06-2015, 02:16 PM
i just downloaded the demo. can't wait to try it out

Powder
02-06-2015, 05:56 PM
Played the demo last night, this thing is super duper awesome. & the voice clips really enhance the experience! My only problem with it was using keyboard controls, as I am absolutely terrible with them. Is it possible you could make this compatible with USB controlled like say a USB SNES or Xbox 360 controller? I tried to figure it out on my own but was unsuccessful.

Jester
02-06-2015, 05:57 PM
Played the demo last night, this thing is super duper awesome. & the voice clips really enhance the experience! My only problem with it was using keyboard controls, as I am absolutely terrible with them. Is it possible you could make this compatible with USB controlled like say a USB SNES or Xbox 360 controller? I tried to figure it out on my own but was unsuccessful.
(My wife and) I used my USB controller. You can set the controls in one of the options menus

oldmanwinters
02-06-2015, 06:00 PM
(My wife and) I used my USB controller. You can set the controls in one of the options menus

I only used the keyboard, but, yeah, I think that option is pretty standard with OpenBOR games.

Powder
02-06-2015, 06:19 PM

I tried, but it didn't work for some reason. Guess I'll have to give it another go later.

Nelson
02-06-2015, 06:45 PM

Thanks man. Regarding the controller, make sure it's plugged and recognized by the system before launching the game.

shuriken
02-07-2015, 12:02 AM
Game looks fun. Love how April uses Microphone as a weapon.

Mini-Turtle
02-22-2015, 08:15 PM
I tried, but it didn't work for some reason. Guess I'll have to give it another go later.
Worked fine for me with my Logitech Cordless Rumblepad 2.

Now, for some things I've noticed:

Battleship: The cannons are supposed to burn characters, not knock them away. Hopefully this will be resolved, if it isn't too much of a hassle to create burnt sprites for each character. Also, falling into the water should only take away some energy, not cost a whole life.

April: I really like the microphone attack, but feel she should also have some ninja moves, such as a flying kick. "Hey, if you're in enough of these episodes, some of it's bound to rub off!" :tgrin:

John Pannozzi
02-25-2015, 08:17 PM
Anal retentative note:

You should note Stan Sakai alongside Mirage and such in the opening disclaimer, if you're going to include Usagi.

Nelson
02-25-2015, 08:47 PM
Game looks fun. Love how April uses Microphone as a weapon.
Thank you!

Battleship: The cannons are supposed to burn characters, not knock them away. Hopefully this will be resolved, if it isn't too much of a hassle to create burnt sprites for each character.
Well, that's exactly the reason. There are so many characters in this game, that special animations such as those would take too much time. This is also the reason why the turrets don't shoot fireballs anymore, but rather some kind of energy balls. I might add some fire effect for the falling animation of the characters down the line. Right now other things take precedence. But thank you for pointing that out.

Also, falling into the water should only take away some energy, not cost a whole life.
I'll look into this.

April: I really like the microphone attack, but feel she should also have some ninja moves, such as a flying kick. "Hey, if you're in enough of these episodes, some of it's bound to rub off!" :tgrin:
I don't know about this one. Sure she could have learnt ninjitsu at some point, but that never happened. There will be other female martial artist characters in the game, you may prefer to play as those.

Anal retentative note:

You should note Stan Sakai alongside Mirage and such in the opening disclaimer, if you're going to include Usagi.
Good catch! Thanks.

oldmanwinters
02-26-2015, 07:16 AM
Anal retentative note:

Credit where credit is due!
I wouldn't mind Usagi having a bit more range with his regular weapon, even though he does have a projectile special. Seems like I have to be right up on an enemy to him them. But I understand balancing is tedious task!

I don't know about this one. Sure she could have learnt ninjitsu at some point, but that never happened. There will be other female martial artist characters in the game, you may prefer to play as those.

I think Mini-Turtle is referring to a gag near the end of the episode "Raphael, Turtle of Thousand Faces" where April fakes out an armed gangster with a flying ninja kick (that never actually connects with anybody) to buy Raphael some strategy time. That's when you used the line "Hey, if you're in enough of these episodes, some of it's bound to rub off!"

Personally, I think April is powered up enough as it is, but if you're gonna throw in some added twist, I think it'd be wild to reference one of her occasional mutation forms (Cat Woman from Channel Six, Rebel without a Fin, or Revenge of the Fly) since you've already got "Super Irma" in there. :tsmile:

Nelson
03-03-2015, 09:45 PM
I think Mini-Turtle is referring to a gag near the end of the episode "Raphael, Turtle of Thousand Faces" where April fakes out an armed gangster with a flying ninja kick (that never actually connects with anybody) to buy Raphael some strategy time. That's when you used the line "Hey, if you're in enough of these episodes, some of it's bound to rub off!"

I knew something like that happened but didn't remember the specifics. Thanks, oldman.

I have been working a little on the Dojo stage and on a map like the one from TMNT1, but I feel they're still a bit ugly to be shown. So instead I bring you this Antrax sprite I made in December:

http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/ae116/merso/antrax.png

oldmanwinters
03-04-2015, 08:05 AM
I knew something like that happened but didn't remember the specifics. Thanks, oldman.

I have been working a little on the Dojo stage and on a map like the one from TMNT1, but I feel they're still a bit ugly to be shown. So instead I bring you this Antrax sprite I made in December:

http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/ae116/merso/antrax.png

A professional executioner from Dimension X is a great idea for a character. It's too bad Antrax is still so relatively obscure even though he did get an appearance in the old cartoon!

Refractive Reflections
03-04-2015, 11:23 AM
It's great to see a thread about the progress of this project, because I remembering seeing the video a few months ago on YouTube, but was unsure if it was going anywhere. Thankfully, it seems to be progressing well! :)

As others have said before, the attention to detail brings a lot to the game!

Nelson
03-28-2015, 11:20 PM
It's great to see a thread about the progress of this project, because I remembering seeing the video a few months ago on YouTube, but was unsure if it was going anywhere. Thankfully, it seems to be progressing well! :)

As others have said before, the attention to detail brings a lot to the game!

Thank you very much for your words, Refractive Reflections.

----

Here's the map of the game:

http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/ae116/merso/rescue_palooza_map2.png

Jester
03-28-2015, 11:23 PM
http://d236bkdxj385sg.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Waldo-Geraldo-Faldo.jpg
Coo!

Powder
03-28-2015, 11:37 PM
Great reference, Jester. & that's one stellar map, Nelson!

oldmanwinters
03-29-2015, 11:41 AM
Wow, it's not often fan remakes show some love to the original NES romp! It's my favorite too!

Xav
03-29-2015, 01:15 PM
Will you be able to run in the finale version?

Nelson
04-01-2015, 09:27 PM
Thanks guys. Jester, I had to google that guy, haha.

Will you be able to run in the finale version?

Kind of?

oldmanwinters
04-02-2015, 05:23 AM
Thanks guys. Jester, I had to google that guy, haha.

Dare I ask what you had to type in to learn the identity of Waldo of Family Matters fame? Or did you just luck out with a Google Image search? :lol:

Nelson
04-02-2015, 04:40 PM
Dare I ask what you had to type in to learn the identity of Waldo of Family Matters fame? Or did you just luck out with a Google Image search? :lol:

The file is named "Waldo-Geraldo-Faldo", so that was easy. I didn't check videos or anything so I guess "coo" was his catchphrase (probably by accident)

oldmanwinters
04-02-2015, 10:06 PM
The file is named "Waldo-Geraldo-Faldo", so that was easy. I didn't check videos or anything so I guess "coo" was his catchphrase (probably by accident)

Ah, it's nice when it's that easy!

Waldo said very little that didn't involve the use of his catchphrase.

Nelson
04-02-2015, 10:45 PM
Working on rooftops stage, inspired by the first NES game:

http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/ae116/merso/PR_BOP%20-%200182-200.png

oldmanwinters
04-03-2015, 07:08 AM
Seeing all these references to the original NES game warms the cockles of my heart.

Will stages like that play purely 2D with only x-axis movements?

Nelson
04-03-2015, 08:28 AM
Seeing all these references to the original NES game warms the cockles of my heart.

Will stages like that play purely 2D with only x-axis movements?

That's correct. Both this and the sewer level are 2D.

Ninjinister
04-03-2015, 08:28 PM
Wow, it's not often fan remakes show some love to the original NES romp! It's my favorite too!

My third TMNT fangame was gonna be a straight-up remake of the first one... but.. y'know....

shuriken
04-07-2015, 10:03 PM
played the demo. It's sooo good.

CyberCubed
04-07-2015, 11:32 PM
Are all the levels in the game going to be based on the levels from the old games, or is it possible to see totally new locations? I realize it would be a lot of hard work but it would be cool to see a new level not based on the old games.

Nelson
04-08-2015, 06:07 PM
played the demo. It's sooo good.

I'm glad you liked it!

Are all the levels in the game going to be based on the levels from the old games, or is it possible to see totally new locations? I realize it would be a lot of hard work but it would be cool to see a new level not based on the old games.

That's the plan, Mr. Cubed. There will be new levels. Check out the map in the previous page.

Turtle_power_eh?
04-10-2015, 01:35 PM
Nice work, keep it up!

TMNT-Leonardo
04-28-2015, 10:06 PM
The demo is very good. Captures the feel and gameplay of the NES game very well. The voice samples from the cartoon are nice touch, though I it's hard to hear them sometimes. A few things I'd suggest are moving the titles for "Game Mode" and such up because it blocks the text when you're selecting an option.

Small thing but I think the black bar showing the health and continues takes a little bit too much of the screen. The gameplay area looks kind of squished becuase of it. It still looks great, I just think it would look better if you had more of the game area showing. That being said, I kind of miss the little bar pegs that show the health :P.

Tora
05-01-2015, 01:40 PM
Hello, Technodrome friends. If you are like me and can't get enough of the clasic TMNT titles for the NES, you might be interested in a game I have been been working on. As the title of the thread implies, the game is called TMNT Rescue Palooza, where up to four players go to newly recolored stages from the classic games as well as a couple of new stages (like the Channel 6 building).

As you progress through the game you'll unlock characters from the Fred Wolf Cartoon like April, Splinter, Casey, etc. The list of unlockable characters is quite long so this project will take quite a bit of time to be completed.

The gameplay mimics the one from the NES games so it's basic, please don't expect fancy combos or elements from TMNT in Time or the like.

4CiLOX5JZm8

You can download a demo at http://gamejolt.com/games/arcade/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-rescue-palooza/39658/

This is awesome! Nice to see Tora getting some love :tgrin:

Nelson
05-05-2015, 09:29 AM
Small thing but I think the black bar showing the health and continues takes a little bit too much of the screen. The gameplay area looks kind of squished becuase of it. It still looks great, I just think it would look better if you had more of the game area showing. That being said, I kind of miss the little bar pegs that show the health :P.

Thank you for the observation. The black bar has the same size as in the NES games. If I were to remove I would have to draw that area into the existing levels. I guess I could give it a try at some point.

----

In other news, Mona Lisa is done except for ther audio samples.

http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/ae116/merso/PR_BOP%20-%200198.png

oldmanwinters
05-05-2015, 12:42 PM
Thank you for the observation. The black bar has the same size as in the NES games. If I were to remove I would have to draw that area into the existing levels. I guess I could give it a try at some point.

----

In other news, Mona Lisa is done except for ther audio samples.

http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/ae116/merso/PR_BOP%20-%200198.png

:tthumbsu::tthumbsu::tthumbsu::tthumbsu:

NIDX18Xl16s

Jester
05-05-2015, 03:54 PM
Man...this is gettin' good.

*wonders what the odds of Punk Frogs are. Heck, someone should try and make an Adjective Adjective Punk Frogs game.

Nelson
05-05-2015, 10:23 PM
"Adjective Adjective Punk Frogs" sounds good to me!

Also The Punk Frogs are 100% in this game. So far I only have the idle sprite of one of them, though.

oldmanwinters
05-05-2015, 10:26 PM
Well, Microsoft has been showing the Battletoads some love of recent days, so I expect the Punk Frogs are ripe for a TMNT spin-off!

:lol:

Jester
05-05-2015, 10:36 PM
"Adjective Adjective Punk Frogs" sounds good to me!

Also The Punk Frogs are 100% in this game. So far I only have the idle sprite of one of them, though.
Would they be that hard to do? The pallet and weapons swaps that they are. :P

Nelson
05-05-2015, 10:53 PM
Well, Microsoft has been showing the Battletoads some love of recent days, so I expect the Punk Frogs are ripe for a TMNT spin-off!

:lol:

I wasn't aware of that!

And Jester yeah I would make one base character and just change the weapons and colors, except for whatshisname with the bow and arrow.

Jester
05-05-2015, 10:54 PM
I wasn't aware of that!

And Jester yeah I would make one base character and just change the weapons and colors, except for whatshisname with the bow and arrow.
Gahh.....you know I cain't tell them apart. :P

Nelson
05-05-2015, 11:00 PM
No one can, not even Shredder.

This is the WIP sprite I mentioned before:
http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/ae116/merso/walkanimation.jpg

Xav
05-06-2015, 12:12 AM
Are you gonna give Genghis his polka dots on his shirt?

Cryomancer
05-06-2015, 12:20 AM
I was thinking the other day that Battletoads sprites would be a good place to start for punk frogs maybe. Although the posture is probably all wrong.

The Shovel Knight crossover thing with the Battletoads actually has a bunch of new sprites and stuff, they put a surprising amount of effort into it.

Nelson
05-11-2015, 08:05 PM
Are you gonna give Genghis his polka dots on his shirt?

I tried adding the dots before but it looked too busy so I took them out. Also it's easier to recolor the rest of the frogs if their shirts are plain.

I was thinking the other day that Battletoads sprites would be a good place to start for punk frogs maybe. Although the posture is probably all wrong.

The Shovel Knight crossover thing with the Battletoads actually has a bunch of new sprites and stuff, they put a surprising amount of effort into it.

I also tried using Battletoads sprites but it looked very off and settled on making new sprites.

Alright guys, would you like to help me out? I need sprites for Mechaturtle and that weird cyclops robot from the level 3 of TMNT1 for the nes. I was going to rip them myself but that would mean beating level 3 of the game... that would take quite a bit of time that I would rather use on working on the game. Let me know.

oldmanwinters
05-11-2015, 08:39 PM
Alright guys, would you like to help me out? I need sprites for Mechaturtle and that weird cyclops robot from the level 3 of TMNT1 for the nes. I was going to rip them myself but that would mean beating level 3 of the game... that would take quite a bit of time that I would rather use on working on the game. Let me know.

Well, instead of trying to rip them myself, it might be easiest for me to send you a save state that picks up right where the cyclops enemy & Mechaturtle make their appearances. Would that work?

Nelson
05-11-2015, 09:09 PM
Well, instead of trying to rip them myself, it might be easiest for me to send you a save state that picks up right where the cyclops enemy & Mechaturtle make their appearances. Would that work?

That would be perfect. Thanks man!

Oh and while we're on the subject... I wouldn't say no to a savestate for the Giant Mouser as well :D

DarkFell
05-11-2015, 09:20 PM
I don't know if this question has been asked, so I'm gonna ask anyway. Will all of the OT villains also be playable characters? So far I've only seen Groundchuck as a playable (?) villain.

Nelson
05-11-2015, 09:29 PM
I don't know if this question has been asked, so I'm gonna ask anyway. Will all of the OT villains also be playable characters? So far I've only seen Groundchuck as a playable (?) villain.

Well, not ALL of the villains from the OT are present. But you'll be able to play as the bosses of the game after you defeat them.

oldmanwinters
05-11-2015, 09:37 PM
That would be perfect. Thanks man!

Oh and while we're on the subject... I wouldn't say no to a savestate for the Giant Mouser as well :D

Alright, I used Nestopia for these. Hopefully, you can still access them. If I have opportunity, I'll try to get you a giant Mouser one too. I'm not crazy about my PC controller for side-scrolling games, so precise steps and jumps can be tricky, and there are many in Level 4.

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/9srr09pnruf3g//TMNT%201%20save%20states

[Edit, the upload is going a little slow, so I apologize if the link isn't ready.]

DarkFell
05-11-2015, 10:18 PM
Well, not ALL of the villains from the OT are present. But you'll be able to play as the bosses of the game after you defeat them.
NICE.:kgrin:

Nelson
05-11-2015, 11:28 PM
Alright, I used Nestopia for these. Hopefully, you can still access them. If I have opportunity, I'll try to get you a giant Mouser one too. I'm not crazy about my PC controller for side-scrolling games, so precise steps and jumps can be tricky, and there are many in Level 4.

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/9srr09pnruf3g//TMNT%201%20save%20states

[Edit, the upload is going a little slow, so I apologize if the link isn't ready.]

Wow that was crazy fast! Thank you, my friend.

No rush on the giant mouser, I won't be working with it for a few weeks (maybe months)

oldmanwinters
05-12-2015, 08:50 AM
Wow that was crazy fast! Thank you, my friend.

No rush on the giant mouser, I won't be working with it for a few weeks (maybe months)

I am pretty good at that game. Did you notice I got you to the Level 3 boss with all Turtles stocked with secondary weapons and at almost full health? :tcool:

Nelson
05-12-2015, 01:50 PM
I am pretty good at that game. Did you notice I got you to the Level 3 boss with all Turtles stocked with secondary weapons and at almost full health? :tcool:

Yes I did, yes I did. I was like ARE YOU KIDDING ME *throws shoe at your face, in a friendly way*

Now... I could use MORE help! Give me all of the helps. I'm thinking of ripping the Fugitoid sprites from TMNT3 Mutant Somethingsomething from the DS. He may also appear in the second game for the GBA but I'm not sure. I know that it appears in the third game as a wussy that you have to protect. What a loser. Anyway if anyone wants to send a savestate my way with the Fugitoid level I will appreciate it. Thanks guys.

EDIT: He's in level 5:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6bDQYALKk0

oldmanwinters
05-12-2015, 03:59 PM
Now... I could use MORE help! Give me all of the helps. I'm thinking of ripping the Fugitoid sprites from TMNT3 Mutant Somethingsomething from the DS. He may also appear in the second game for the GBA but I'm not sure. I know that it appears in the third game as a wussy that you have to protect. What a loser. Anyway if anyone wants to send a savestate my way with the Fugitoid level I will appreciate it. Thanks guys.

EDIT: He's in level 5:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6bDQYALKk0

The Nintendo DS version of Mutant Nightmare is one TMNT game I've actually never played, though I would certainly like to. I rather enjoyed the console version, although it certainly could be frustrating at times.

When you mentioned the Fugitoid sprites in TMNT3, I originally thought you might have meant the NES Manhattan Project where Fugitoid-like robots attack you in the Technodrome stage.

Check the 00:36 mark:
KHRXTcXsisU

Nelson
05-12-2015, 06:23 PM
The Nintendo DS version of Mutant Nightmare is one TMNT game I've actually never played, though I would certainly like to. I rather enjoyed the console version, although it certainly could be frustrating at times.

When you mentioned the Fugitoid sprites in TMNT3, I originally thought you might have meant the NES Manhattan Project where Fugitoid-like robots attack you in the Technodrome stage.

That was my original plan, but now I would like more accurate sprites for the Fugitoid. I will also have those evil fake-fugitoids in the game.

Nelson
05-18-2015, 06:09 PM
It has taken FOREVER but I am close to finishing this stage for good. Hopefully this week I will be able to release a new demo.

So many days to create a stage that can be beat in around 4 minutes. Oh well.

http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/ae116/merso/PR_BOP%20-%200226.png

For comparison, these are the the stages this screenshot in based on:

http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/ae116/merso/Teenage%20Mutant%20Ninja%20Turtles%20U%20_011.png http://www.vizzed.com/vizzedboard/retro/user_screenshots/saves34/342187/NES--Teenage%20Mutant%20Ninja%20Turtles%20III_Dec24%201 6_58_06.png

oldmanwinters
05-18-2015, 07:41 PM
It has taken FOREVER but I am close to finishing this stage for good. Hopefully this week I will be able to release a new demo.

So many days to create a stage that can be beat in around 4 minutes. Oh well.

http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/ae116/merso/PR_BOP%20-%200226.png

For comparison, these are the the stages this screenshot in based on:

http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/ae116/merso/Teenage%20Mutant%20Ninja%20Turtles%20U%20_011.png http://www.vizzed.com/vizzedboard/retro/user_screenshots/saves34/342187/NES--Teenage%20Mutant%20Ninja%20Turtles%20III_Dec24%201 6_58_06.png

Wow, looks great! Kinda reminds me of the rooftop stage in the SNES Tournament Fighters too.

As a reward for your creative labors, here's a save state for just before the giant Mouser battle in the first NES game!
http://www.mediafire.com/download/va0fmav0a73ockg/Teenage_mutant_ninja_turtlesLevel4-MouserDen.nst

Powder
05-18-2015, 08:00 PM
That looks SO dope, & my mind made the same comparison he did, to Tournament Fighters. Is that a new stage in need of new music?

Nelson
05-18-2015, 08:01 PM
Wow, looks great! Kinda reminds me of the rooftop stage in the SNES Tournament Fighters too.

As a reward for your creative labors, here's a save state for just before the giant Mouser battle in the first NES game!
http://www.mediafire.com/download/va0fmav0a73ockg/Teenage_mutant_ninja_turtlesLevel4-MouserDen.nst

Aww yeah thanks!

And yeah I got inspiration from that TF stage as well!

Nelson
05-18-2015, 08:19 PM
That looks SO dope, & my mind made the same comparison he did, to Tournament Fighters. Is that a new stage in need of new music?

Thanks! Oh and music is covered for this one. The stages that could use new music are:
- Channel 6
- Dimension X (maybe a longer version of the track you sent me)
- Swamps ( I was originally going to use music from Bayou Billy, but that would be too cheap I think)

Not mandatory but would be nice to have:
- A remix of that Shredder theme from TF NES (not his stage, but the one of the intro that plays in the intro of rescue palooza as well) but more dramatic
- A konamized remix of this theme (minute 20 to 20:26):
jr6TGRKP3yo

Powder
05-18-2015, 10:36 PM
If you can give me a few screen caps of the levels you need music for, I'll get to work on it as soon as I can. May sound strange but visuals are a requirement for this creative process, my tunes have got to suit the stages. :trazz: I can try to recreate that Fred Wolf background music, sure. It'd be a lot more fun to do than the the TF one given it's never been in a game before.

Nelson
05-19-2015, 09:32 PM
If you can give me a few screen caps of the levels you need music for, I'll get to work on it as soon as I can. May sound strange but visuals are a requirement for this creative process, my tunes have got to suit the stages. :trazz: I can try to recreate that Fred Wolf background music, sure. It'd be a lot more fun to do than the the TF one given it's never been in a game before.

Thanks. I haven't started work on those levels so what I will do for now is send you a PM (probably tomorrow) with an description and also some screenshots that I will use as a base for the backgrounds, or stages from other games that i will rip off take inspiration from.

Powder
05-19-2015, 11:25 PM
Alright, I could probably work with that. Just be as descriptive as you can, especially with respect to their color palette. There's a strong connection for me between color & music, so they've gotta match just right. :trazz:

Tortuglio
05-24-2015, 01:10 PM
Wow! I'd seen a few months back some stuff of this project over at chrono crash, but haven't seen it in a while, all these updates... THIS IS REALLY COOL!
And, as everyone said, a very creative project. Congrats!

BTW, this is map is great!

http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/ae116/merso/rescue_palooza_map2.png

Nelson
05-28-2015, 07:27 PM
Wow! I'd seen a few months back some stuff of this project over at chrono crash, but haven't seen it in a while, all these updates... THIS IS REALLY COOL!
And, as everyone said, a very creative project. Congrats!

BTW, this is map is great!

Thank you very much, Tortuglio! Glad you like it so far.

Nelson
05-31-2015, 01:07 AM
New demo up over at Gamejolt! Hope you enjoy it. Let me know if you find any bugs!

http://gamejolt.com/games/arcade/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-rescue-palooza/39658/

Powder
05-31-2015, 01:14 AM
I found a bug. It gave me a malware virus. One of the files (Borpak, I think it read?) has a system 32 "info stealer" in it, apparently. Soooooo what's the deal?

Nelson
05-31-2015, 01:20 AM
I found a bug. It gave me a malware virus. One of the files (Borpak, I think it read?) has a system 32 "info stealer" in it, apparently. Soooooo what's the deal?

Thanks for giving it a try. Not sure what the issue is. Borpak is an OpenBOR utility, it's not needed to play the game so I deleted it from the bundle. I just reuploaded the demo. Let me know if the new file also gives you issues.

oldmanwinters
05-31-2015, 11:28 PM
Thanks for the updated demo, Nelson. The game really feels like it's coming together now that the map screen is functional. I really hope any malware has already been removed, as I downloaded the game around 8am Sunday morning.

The TMNT1 rooftop level is definitely my favorite. It's a real throwback to classic platforming and I greatly appreciated how you expanded the stage as a surprise after the first boss battle.

As a followup to my previous experience on the last demo, I found that even though April tended to dominate the beat em' up sections due to range and attack speed, she struggled considerably more in the side scrolling and 2D battles against Slash. Carefully-timed jumps are a real necessity to avoid his devastating attacks.

The Mona Lisa sprites look great. And I'm glad to see you added the Foot Balloon Bombers from the first NES game.

And the Playmates themed toy box on the unlock screens is just lovely.
I decided to make a template for keeping track of everybody just for fun.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a56/slimer2erasmus/RescuePalooza-HeroUnlocks_zpsynbaxxv7.png (http://s9.photobucket.com/user/slimer2erasmus/media/RescuePalooza-HeroUnlocks_zpsynbaxxv7.png.html)

John Pannozzi
06-01-2015, 08:39 AM
Could you please release a Mac version of the new demo?

Nelson
06-02-2015, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the updated demo, Nelson. The game really feels like it's coming together now that the map screen is functional. I really hope any malware has already been removed, as I downloaded the game around 8am Sunday morning.

The TMNT1 rooftop level is definitely my favorite. It's a real throwback to classic platforming and I greatly appreciated how you expanded the stage as a surprise after the first boss battle.

As a followup to my previous experience on the last demo, I found that even though April tended to dominate the beat em' up sections due to range and attack speed struggle considerably more in the side scrolling and 2D battles against Slash. Carefully-timed jumps are a real necessity to avoid his devastating attacks.

The Mona Lisa sprites look great. And I'm glad to see you added the Foot Balloon Bombers from the first NES game.

And the Playmates themed toy box on the unlock screens is just lovely.
I decided to make a template for keeping track of everybody just for fun.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a56/slimer2erasmus/RescuePalooza-HeroUnlocks_zpsynbaxxv7.png (http://s9.photobucket.com/user/slimer2erasmus/media/RescuePalooza-HeroUnlocks_zpsynbaxxv7.png.html)

Thank you very much not only for what you said but the way you said it. What prose! :D
Nice idea of putting all characters n one picture.

Could you please release a Mac version of the new demo?

The thing is that to be able to include the map and some new scripts, I had to update to a newer version of OpenBOR, and sadly this new version doesn't have a Mac port (yet, I hope)

You can get around that using Wine, though.

Nelson
06-02-2015, 08:58 PM
Here's a gameplay video of the demo:

FL904uKj3Tc

Also, I worked some more on the game on Sunday. The next step was to finish the dojo stage, but I decided instead to work on a new stage that wasn't part of the original plan. I am using the construction site stage from the TMNT game for GBA. I still have to recolor it to fit the rest of the game, but I wanted to share some things.

One are net trappings, if you're not careful and step on one you get trapped momentarily.

http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/ae116/merso/PR_BOP%20-%200246.png

The enemies in this stage are not only Foot Soldiers but also these guys:

http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/0031-496x375.jpg

...who are complete wimps and can be defeated with only one hit.

Bosses are Tokka and Rahzar. Here's the Tokka WIP:

http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/ae116/merso/tokka_comparison.png

http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/ae116/merso/PR_BOP%20-%200247.png

And lastly but not leastly the music for the stage is all new and composed by our very own Powder!

Oh and also I got rid of the dark background in the upper part of the screen.

John Pannozzi
06-02-2015, 09:37 PM
OK, this is going to sound stupid.

I have Parallels, so I CAN play the PC version.

However, I have no idea how to install the game.

Help?

Xav
06-02-2015, 10:20 PM
I have a question. In the original NES games you would always see however you were rescuing during the boss fights being held capture in the backgrounds. Is that something you plan to do for this game?

oldmanwinters
06-03-2015, 08:32 AM
Also, I worked some more on the game on Sunday. The next step was to finish the dojo stage, but I decided instead to work on a new stage that wasn't part of the original plan. I am using the construction site stage from the TMNT game for GBA. I still have to recolor it to fit the rest of the game, but I wanted to share some things.

One are net trappings, if you're not careful and step on one you get trapped momentarily.

http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/ae116/merso/PR_BOP%20-%200246.png

The enemies in this stage are not only Foot Soldiers but also these guys:

http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/0031-496x375.jpg

...who are complete wimps and can be defeated with only one hit.

Bosses are Tokka and Rahzar. Here's the Tokka WIP:

http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/ae116/merso/tokka_comparison.png

http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/ae116/merso/PR_BOP%20-%200247.png

And lastly but not leastly the music for the stage is all new and composed by our very own Powder!

Oh and also I got rid of the dark background in the upper part of the screen.

I loved that GBA game for its detailed backgrounds, but I hadn't really thought about how appropriate the junk yard scene would be as an adaptation to the Secret of the Ooze movie until you made the little homages to things like the net traps! Brilliant humor! Seeing the pathetic Crooked Ninja Turtle Gang is gonna be a blast. I love "joke" enemies in games, and I think seeing how homage classic TMNT cartoon, movie, or game history may be my favorite part of this project.

I can't wait to hear Powder's new stuff.

As for the 2nd phase of the Rooftop level, I'm a little bit of a glutton for a challenge, but is there any chance you might wanna include some additional enemies during the platforming challenges? I was thinking of more Foot Balloons or other small aerial enemies to make the jump a little trickier. At present, characters with jump kick attacks (Turtles, Mona) seem to have a great advantage because they can bypass the necessity for precisely timed jumps while characters without those attacks like April have it much more difficult. Some enemies high up in the sky would even out the playing field a little since April's whip attack is much more reliable against those critters while the jump kick can leave the player more vulnerable.

Nelson
06-03-2015, 07:42 PM
OK, this is going to sound stupid.

I have Parallels, so I CAN play the PC version.

However, I have no idea how to install the game.

Help?

No need to install anything, just unzip the file and run OpenBOR.exe

I have a question. In the original NES games you would always see however you were rescuing during the boss fights being held capture in the backgrounds. Is that something you plan to do for this game?

That is a very good question and something I have been thinking about since I started working on the rescuing/unlocking aspect of the game. There's good things and bad thing about showing the the characters to be rescued earlier during a boss fight, the bad things being that it might get old fast, and that it can ruin the surprise of having a "fake" stage boss (that ends up being actually a mini boss)

I loved that GBA game for its detailed backgrounds, but I hadn't really thought about how appropriate the junk yard scene would be as an adaptation to the Secret of the Ooze movie until you made the little homages to things like the net traps! Brilliant humor! Seeing the pathetic Crooked Ninja Turtle Gang is gonna be a blast. I love "joke" enemies in games, and I think seeing how homage classic TMNT cartoon, movie, or game history may be my favorite part of this project.

I can't wait to hear Powder's new stuff.

As for the 2nd phase of the Rooftop level, I'm a little bit of a glutton for a challenge, but is there any chance you might wanna include some additional enemies during the platforming challenges? I was thinking of more Foot Balloons or other small aerial enemies to make the jump a little trickier. At present, characters with jump kick attacks (Turtles, Mona) seem to have a great advantage because they can bypass the necessity for precisely timed jumps while characters without those attacks like April have it much more difficult. Some enemies high up in the sky would even out the playing field a little since April's whip attack is much more reliable against those critters while the jump kick can leave the player more vulnerable.

Thank you as always, oldman. It's funny that you mention that, in the other forums I got the comment that the stage is tough with jumpkick characters as it's easy to be knocked out by the balloons.
I would like to add another type of enemy to that stage, to add a bit of variety to the cyclopses and balloons. Maybe those birdlike enemis that take a dive when they're close to the player.

Regarding some stages being easier to beat with some characters than with others, that is kind of the intention. If players like the game enough to play it a second time, they'll have enough knowledge to pick characters that are better suited for each stage.

Which is to say that every character has strengths and weaknesses, but I would like to make an exception with Vernon. I would like to add him too, but as a completely unbalanced character, a total joke. Low stamina, low reach, short jumps, all bad. You'd only pick him if you're a masochist OR an expert looking for a challenge.

By the way, Tokka and Rahzar were originally going to be the bosses of the Channel Six building. Now that slot is free. Who should be the bosses(es) there? Most other bosses are already planned for other stages but I could shuffle things around.

oldmanwinters
06-03-2015, 08:29 PM
Which is to say that every character has strengths and weaknesses, but I would like to make an exception with Vernon. I would like to add him too, but as a completely unbalanced character, a total joke. Low stamina, low reach, short jumps, all bad. You'd only pick him if you're a masochist OR an expert looking for a challenge.

By the way, Tokka and Rahzar were originally going to be the bosses of the Channel Six building. Now that slot is free. Who should be the bosses(es) there? Most other bosses are already planned for other stages but I could shuffle things around.

Heh, I actually like the idea of Vernon being the boss! Maybe even his mutant spider form seen in Revenge of the Fly? :tlol:

As far as the more established boss characters, maybe you could use a bunch of gangsters, robot hordes, or mad scientists?

Powder
06-03-2015, 08:39 PM
No idea why these guys popped into my head but they could be interesting bosses:
http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/teenage_mutant_ninja_turtles_1987_season4_part2_tu rtles_wrestlers.jpg

If not them, how about (one of) the insect versions of the Channel Six crew from when Baxter had that ooze gun? Or Scumbug/Wyrm. I dunno, I'm craving insect mutants. :trazz:

I haven't gotten around to playing the new demo but I will definitely share my thoughts once I do!

Nelson
06-03-2015, 09:02 PM
Heh, I actually like the idea of Vernon being the boss! Maybe even his mutant spider form seen in Revenge of the Fly? :tlol:

If not them, how about (one of) the insect versions of the Channel Six crew from when Baxter had that ooze gun?

Thanks!

No idea why these guys popped into my head but they could be interesting bosses:

For the Dimension X stage, maybe?

Xav
06-03-2015, 09:59 PM
Are you going to put in enemies in the overhead stage like in the first NES game?

Nelson
06-03-2015, 10:03 PM
Are you going to put in enemies in the overhead stage like in the first NES game?

No.

(message is too short)

Powder
06-03-2015, 10:21 PM
Funny, I didn't even read Winters' post. Now I feel silly for having said the same thing. :tlol:

Great minds, as they say...!

oldmanwinters
06-04-2015, 07:22 AM
Funny, I didn't even read Winters' post. Now I feel silly for having said the same thing. :tlol:

Great minds, as they say...!

Aw, man, totally! Bring on Spider-Vernon!
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showpost.php?p=1033473&postcount=149
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a56/slimer2erasmus/art/oldmanwinters-Revenge_of_FlyBW_zpsdf582ca1.jpg

(And maybe Bee Burn too?)
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a56/slimer2erasmus/Screencaps/bugreporters1_zps9f84ebba.jpg (http://s9.photobucket.com/user/slimer2erasmus/media/Screencaps/bugreporters1_zps9f84ebba.jpg.html)
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a56/slimer2erasmus/Screencaps/bugburneirma_zps8b241df0.jpg (http://s9.photobucket.com/user/slimer2erasmus/media/Screencaps/bugburneirma_zps8b241df0.jpg.html)

Nelson
06-04-2015, 07:56 PM
Cool piece, man! Oh and also:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a56/slimer2erasmus/Screencaps/bugburneirma_zps8b241df0.jpg

...is Leo being kinky? :tlol:

oldmanwinters
06-04-2015, 08:37 PM
Cool piece, man! Oh and also:

...is Leo being kinky? :tlol:

Nah, the Channel 6 insectoids trapped Leo in a cocoon like substance. It does seem like poor Leo gets positioned in a lot of awkward screencaps though.

And thanks for the compliment on my Revenge of the Fly tribute piece, I've had it sitting on my computer for months upon months as I've slowly been adding digital color to it now and then.

Is Baxter Stockman (Fly version) already assigned as a level boss in your game? It might make sense to have him as the Channel Six boss, especially if you feature mutated Channel Six employees as enemies or mini-bosses in that level.

Nelson
06-04-2015, 08:57 PM
Is Baxter Stockman (Fly version) already assigned as a level boss in your game? It might make sense to have him as the Channel Six boss, especially if you feature mutated Channel Six employees as enemies or mini-bosses in that level.

Good idea!!!

Baxter was assigned to another level but it was very random. Makes more sense to have him at the Channel 6 building as you say.

Jester
06-04-2015, 09:05 PM
I'm sure there are even some models for non Channel 6 staff that could work as enemies.

Xav
06-04-2015, 11:39 PM
I just realized something. The character select screen says "Select Your Mutant!". Shouldn't you change that? As all the playable characters aren't mutants.

CyberCubed
06-06-2015, 01:26 AM
Tempestra coming out of a TV screen would be cool.

Powder
06-06-2015, 01:33 AM
Just beat the latest demo. I'm floored! This is gonna be the illest thing ever when it's done. I can't wait for the punk frogs!

Raph
06-06-2015, 03:06 AM
Hi Nelson,

I haven't been in this thread for some time. Scrolling back seeying all the progres, I must say you are doing an amazing job. I still need to download the latest demo, but it already looks great, you could fool me that this is an officially released XBL arcade game or something.

Thumbs up! :tcool:

Nelson
06-07-2015, 11:47 AM
Thank you Rutger for stopping by!

Thanks guys for your comments and suggestions.

Xav, the "select your mutant" text is incorrect but accurate to the Playmates cardbacks and catalogues.

oldmanwinters
06-07-2015, 12:23 PM
Xav, the "select your mutant" text is incorrect but accurate to the Playmates cardbacks and catalogues.

Indeed, I love the classic toy packaging references!

Original 1988 Line:
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a56/slimer2erasmus/TMNT%20vehicles%20and%20toys/PlaymatesLine-Original_zpsm7adwuzj.jpg (http://s9.photobucket.com/user/slimer2erasmus/media/TMNT%20vehicles%20and%20toys/PlaymatesLine-Original_zpsm7adwuzj.jpg.html)

1990 approximation:
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a56/slimer2erasmus/TMNT%20vehicles%20and%20toys/PlaymatesLine-RayFilletera_zpsop7uvecx.jpg (http://s9.photobucket.com/user/slimer2erasmus/media/TMNT%20vehicles%20and%20toys/PlaymatesLine-RayFilletera_zpsop7uvecx.jpg.html)

Jester
06-30-2015, 01:03 PM
Just finished. Played as Leo, then Slash, then Mona. Pretty great so far. Kinda sad there aren't so many Slash audio clips. But other wise plays awesome.

oldmanwinters
06-30-2015, 02:32 PM
Just finished. Played as Leo, then Slash, then Mona. Pretty great so far. Kinda sad there aren't so many Slash audio clips. But other wise plays awesome.

"Binky!" can only be expressed so many ways...
:tlol:

miru
07-13-2015, 01:35 PM
No need to install anything, just unzip the file and run OpenBOR.exe

That is a very good question and something I have been thinking about since I started working on the rescuing/unlocking aspect of the game. There's good things and bad thing about showing the the characters to be rescued earlier during a boss fight, the bad things being that it might get old fast, and that it can ruin the surprise of having a "fake" stage boss (that ends up being actually a mini boss)

Thank you as always, oldman. It's funny that you mention that, in the other forums I got the comment that the stage is tough with jumpkick characters as it's easy to be knocked out by the balloons.
I would like to add another type of enemy to that stage, to add a bit of variety to the cyclopses and balloons. Maybe those birdlike enemis that take a dive when they're close to the player.

Regarding some stages being easier to beat with some characters than with others, that is kind of the intention. If players like the game enough to play it a second time, they'll have enough knowledge to pick characters that are better suited for each stage.

How about Burne in the mech used by human Baxter?

TigerClaw
07-13-2015, 02:06 PM
That's cool, Mona Lisa is a playable character now.

FL904uKj3Tc

TigerClaw
07-13-2015, 06:16 PM
Btw, will the final game have different endings for all the characters? Or will it be the same ending for all of them?

Cryomancer
07-13-2015, 06:31 PM
OK, it's driving me crazy. Is Mona Lisa drawn over top someone like how April is a Belmont? It totally works, but I can't place where I've seen those moves and it's driving me nuts!

Looks great as always.

Nelson
07-25-2015, 10:32 PM
Sorry I haven't posted anything new in forever, I have been very busy with real life and the Power Rangers game.

Thank you for giving it a try, Jester. I want to give sound clips to Slash but I haven't found a suitable voice yet. The one from the show doesn't fit him, I feel that toy/videogame/comic Slash is a completely different character from the one on the show. That being said, I would like to add the show version of Slash to the game. He will use the same sprites but with a different head, and will sound like the one in the cartoon.

Btw, will the final game have different endings for all the characters? Or will it be the same ending for all of them?

Same ending.

OK, it's driving me crazy. Is Mona Lisa drawn over top someone like how April is a Belmont? It totally works, but I can't place where I've seen those moves and it's driving me nuts!

Looks great as always.

Thanks. Mona Lisa is not based on a character from a previous videogame. I used the cartoon as a guide to create her sprites.

April moves like a Belmont but her attack sprites are based off Blaze from Streets of Rage. Her walking animations, etc are based on the show like with Mona Lisa and Usagi.

http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/ae116/merso/mona_lisa_comparison.jpg

Cryomancer
07-25-2015, 11:37 PM
That is very interesting! I dunno, something about her "arms up" jump and her special move kick look so very retrogame-familiar. Maybe I'm thinking of Krang's kick move, hmm. The "hold weapon forward and it spins" bit, also.

oldmanwinters
07-26-2015, 06:30 AM
I really like your screenshot-sprite comparisons, as I knew you were mirroring the show's art with characters like April, Mona, Irma, and Usagi. I'd love to see more of those side-by-sides!

For the April stunned sprites, I'm reminded of a couple of scenes from the episodes "The Mean Machines" and "Turtles on Trial."

Nelson
07-31-2015, 06:01 PM
I really like your screenshot-sprite comparisons, as I knew you were mirroring the show's art with characters like April, Mona, Irma, and Usagi. I'd love to see more of those side-by-sides!

Thanks! I'll gladly make comparisons for the other characters as well.

Yesterday I recolored the first level of TMNT2. Here's how April's apartment looks like now. I took some inspiration from the cartoon:

http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/ae116/merso/apartment_comparison.jpg

Powder
07-31-2015, 09:31 PM
Gorgeous work, Nelson!

TigerClaw
07-31-2015, 09:37 PM
I wonder if the final game will have online coop, it would be nice to play this online.

oldmanwinters
07-31-2015, 10:41 PM
Thanks! I'll gladly make comparisons for the other characters as well.

Yesterday I recolored the first level of TMNT2. Here's how April's apartment looks like now. I took some inspiration from the cartoon:

http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/ae116/merso/apartment_comparison.jpg

Oh, so nice! Lovely update of the classic level. The bizarre cat paintings add a lot of TV show authenticity to the decor!

That would be an appropriate level to start out in. Will Rocksteady still be the traditional first boss?

Nelson
08-02-2015, 11:56 PM
I wonder if the final game will have online coop, it would be nice to play this online.

I whish. The engine I'm using (OpenBOR) doesn't have that feature and I'm not qualified at all to add it.

Oh, so nice! Lovely update of the classic level. The bizarre cat paintings add a lot of TV show authenticity to the decor!

That would be an appropriate level to start out in. Will Rocksteady still be the traditional first boss?

Well remember that you get to choose what will be the first level as you start on the map. But this one kind of feels like the first stage since it's the closest to the Turtles in said map. The bosses here will be Rocksteady and Bebop.

-----

Test of the Roadkill Rodneys:

wsiK0JFHsgM

oldmanwinters
08-03-2015, 10:48 AM
Well remember that you get to choose what will be the first level as you start on the map. But this one kind of feels like the first stage since it's the closest to the Turtles in said map.

Makes sense! Will the final level be unlockable after all the others have been beaten, or can all stages be played in any order until final elimination?

Test of the Roadkill Rodneys:

wsiK0JFHsgM

I thought that buggers were so much tougher in the 8-bit games than the 16-bit counterparts. Fast, smaller targets are harder targets to hit!

Nelson
08-05-2015, 10:39 AM
Will the final level be unlockable after all the others have been beaten... ?

Yes, after all stages are complete, the first of the last batch of levels will appear on the map.

I thought that buggers were so much tougher in the 8-bit games than the 16-bit counterparts. Fast, smaller targets are harder targets to hit!

I agree 200%

Here's an updated video of the bastards:

mqcEpVdQ6Xg

Also I started working on Rocskeady. I was going to recolor his NES sprites, but he looked so different from the cartoon version that I decded to experiment a bit and mix his sprites with his gameboy counterpart, and while it looked better, it was still off. So now I am giving him new sprites like I did with Mona Lisa and Usagi Yojimbo. Here's the W.I.P.:

http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/ae116/merso/rocksteady_wip200.jpg

oldmanwinters
08-05-2015, 12:46 PM
Oh, nifty! Personally, I've always preferred Rocksteady's buffer/tougher look of the 1st season, action figures, and video games as opposed to his stouter, rounder belly, and less militant appearance in seasons 2 and following.

Just out of curiosity, will beating April's apartment unlock April as a playable character in the final release? It would be weird for the Foot to be invading the building while she was out to town! And it would be cool to see your take on the "April panic" sprites seen in the background of the original arcade and NES games.

Nelson
08-07-2015, 02:47 PM
Oh, nifty! Personally, I've always preferred Rocksteady's buffer/tougher look of the 1st season, action figures, and video games as opposed to his stouter, rounder belly, and less militant appearance in seasons 2 and following.

Just out of curiosity, will beating April's apartment unlock April as a playable character in the final release? It would be weird for the Foot to be invading the building while she was out to town! And it would be cool to see your take on the "April panic" sprites seen in the background of the original arcade and NES games.

I agree with you, the early look of Rocksteady was cooler, but I decided to go with his best-known look for this game.

And yes, April will be unloccked after you complete the building stage in the final release. I put her in the snow stage in the demo because at that time her stage wasn't ready. Same thing with Usagi.

-------

Early look at the highway stage:

y2PGTtq7DKw

Ecto Jedi
08-08-2015, 01:00 AM
"Barney Stockman"?

Powder
08-08-2015, 01:02 AM
"Barney Stockman"?

http://turtlepedia.wikia.com/wiki/Barney_Stockman

I applaud the obscure reference & clever re-use of an existing sprite!

oldmanwinters
08-08-2015, 07:04 AM
"Barney Stockman"?

Haha, so clever!

Also, greater integration of the Turtle Van into the gameplay is something I always wanted to see in the TMNT beat em' up games. Looks like staying on the roof might be tricky though!

Nelson
08-09-2015, 05:42 PM

Haha, thanks! I'm sure most people that play this game will think I typed "Baxter" wrong. XD

Haha, so clever!

Also, greater integration of the Turtle Van into the gameplay is something I always wanted to see in the TMNT beat em' up games. Looks like staying on the roof might be tricky though!

It is! The trick is to not jump much, or at all. That way, most hits won't knock you down (but on the other hand, you will get hit more often.)

----

I worked on the same stage some more. I added that foot vehicle from TMNT3, which I named "Bubblecopter". I also gave a voice to Barney, and changed his hace and his bullets. The rest of the stage remains unchanged.

20ZbURtSN7A

oldmanwinters
08-10-2015, 11:37 AM
I worked on the same stage some more. I added that foot vehicle from TMNT3, which I named "Bubblecopter". I also gave a voice to Barney, and changed his hace and his bullets. The rest of the stage remains unchanged.

Thanks, Nelson, as a kid who played a lot of TMNT3: Manhattan Project, it annoyed me that I didn't get a chance to actually attack and destroy that thing on the rooftop stage. That always meant at least one Foot Soldier survived my rampage of justice...

Jester
08-10-2015, 11:51 AM
I'd love to hear the Road Kill Rodney's say, "Hey, no fair, that hurt!" before they die.

Nelson
08-13-2015, 08:38 PM
Thanks, Nelson, as a kid who played a lot of TMNT3: Manhattan Project, it annoyed me that I didn't get a chance to actually attack and destroy that thing on the rooftop stage. That always meant at least one Foot Soldier survived my rampage of justice...

I also found it weird that in TMNT3 you let that ship go. But if you think about it, it probably flew back to Shredder's spaceship, which blows up in the end!

I'd love to hear the Road Kill Rodney's say, "Hey, no fair, that hurt!" before they die.

Nice suggestion! Check it out:

g_QFaZcbTX4

Now I have to change the pitch of the "do not resist us" clip so it matches the other voices.

Xav
08-14-2015, 02:36 AM
Man, that could get annoying.

oldmanwinters
08-14-2015, 08:02 AM

g_QFaZcbTX4

Now I have to change the pitch of the "do not resist us" clip so it matches the other voices.

I love it! So hilarious. I'm guessing the Rodneys won't appear in every level, so the voice clips are a funny enough homage to the old show without danger of it playing so much that it becomes a distraction. It's not like they are Foot Soldiers, that pretty much come in waves with every screen scroll.

I also found it weird that in TMNT3 you let that ship go. But if you think about it, it probably flew back to Shredder's spaceship, which blows up in the end!

I do like to think so.

Nelson
08-17-2015, 02:55 PM
I'm guessing the Rodneys won't appear in every level, so the voice clips are a funny enough homage to the old show without danger of it playing so much that it becomes a distraction. .

Hopefully that's the case. If their voices turn out to be annoying in the final game I'll probably remove the sounds they make when they get hurt.

---

Working on Raphael. I added voice clips for him and he's probably the most fun Turtle in that regard. He makes 1 of 5 different sacrastic remaks when he dies.

I also redrew the faces of all the Turtles for their stance sprite, and added a bit of detail on the floor of the building stage.

http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/ae116/merso/PR_BOP%20-%200008.png

Also, I created a Facebook page for this project. It's pretty barren now but I'll promote it a bit when I release a new demo: http://www.facebook.com/pages/TMNT-Rescue-Palooza/459836544187895

Oh yeah, almost forgot. I have been working on the prologue as well.

http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/ae116/merso/story.png

Jester
08-17-2015, 03:21 PM
Nelson, this is all too awesome. Can't wait to play as my favorite Turtle and hear him snark. :D

oldmanwinters
08-17-2015, 04:19 PM
Oh, a prologue!

I'm at the point where I practically despise cutscenes and talking to NPCs in modern video games today, but I loved them in old school tradition ala Ninja Gaiden, the Capcom Disney games, etc. The simplicity just has a real innocent charm with I like.

Nelson, this is all too awesome. Can't wait to play as my favorite Turtle and hear him snark. :D

"We're dealin' with a real mind here!" :tlol:

Also, I created a Facebook page for this project. It's pretty barren now but I'll promote it a bit when I release a new demo: http://www.facebook.com/pages/TMNT-Rescue-Palooza/459836544187895

I went ahead and gave you a double Like. You've now got the support of the TMNT Fan Commentaries Facebook page, since I figured Kevin would be cool with that.

Nelson
08-18-2015, 08:13 PM
Thanks, guys.

I'm at the point where I practically despise cutscenes and talking to NPCs in modern video games today, but I loved them in old school tradition ala Ninja Gaiden, the Capcom Disney games, etc. The simplicity just has a real innocent charm with I like.
I gave up on modern videogames mainly because of that, so I can sympathise. So this game will only have a short prologue and epilogue, like in the NES days.

I went ahead and gave you a double Like. You've now got the support of the TMNT Fan Commentaries Facebook page, since I figured Kevin would be cool with that.
Thanks! I just listened to an audio commentary of yours, and old one from A Thing About Rats. I have see that episode millions of times and never thought about April's purse, how it never appears agin in the show. Or how Baxter's design is so heavily influenced by Doc Brown.

TigerClaw
08-18-2015, 10:06 PM
Thanks, guys.

I gave up on modern videogames mainly because of that, so I can sympathise. So this game will only have a short prologue and epilogue, like in the NES days.

Thanks! I just listened to an audio commentary of yours, and old one from A Thing About Rats. I have see that episode millions of times and never thought about April's purse, how it never appears agin in the show. Or how Baxter's design is so heavily influenced by Doc Brown.
Actually those TMNT NES games did had little cutscenes between the levels, usually during transitions from one section to the next.

Nelson
08-19-2015, 11:56 AM
Actually those TMNT NES games did had little cutscenes between the levels, usually during transitions from one section to the next.

Well, yes. I wrote that wrong. What I meant to say is that all those cutscenes are very short and don't interrupt the gameplay.

oldmanwinters
08-20-2015, 06:40 PM
Thanks, guys.

One thing I appreciate about most old games that didn't have game save features was the pacing of the presentation. If you knew what you were doing, most of those games wouldn't take more than a couple of hours to complete. Playing through those old games again and again was about the same thrill for me as watching one of my favorite movies. Nowadays, games take so long to complete that I rarely play through a "story mode" more than once unless it's a fighting game designed for that experience.

I'm really excited to see what you do with the cut scenes. I'd even be delighted if bosses taunt the player with a brief line before the fight begins like in the old 16-bit games.

And cool that you gave the TMNT Fan Commentaries a listen again! The bit about April's purse is strange, as it looks very compact when it's attached to her belt, but considerably larger when she pulls it out to use like in the early scenes of "A Thing About Rats." Kevin and I try to read up on our TMNT history before we tackle an episode. There's way too many schmos on the internet who just ramble for half and hour. Hopefully, we've got insights to offer. Hey, maybe we should do a commentary on Rescue Palooza and its artistic influences when you're finished with it!

TMNT-Leonardo
08-22-2015, 12:20 AM

g_QFaZcbTX4

I like that the top screen is clear now, gives it more of the arcade look. I think the added voices for Road Kill Rodney get annoying really fast though. I like it better when they didn't talk when they get hit.

Powder
08-22-2015, 08:04 AM
I don't find their voices annoying at all, I hope they remain in the game. Considering the Fred Wolf aesthetic, I think it's super cool that they do talk. It'd be less accurate were they quiet.

Jester
08-22-2015, 10:17 AM
Well I nev.....

Yeah, we're both totally in love with this project!

TMNT-Leonardo
08-22-2015, 09:54 PM
I don't find their voices annoying at all, I hope they remain in the game.

I'm not saying they should be removed, but they shouldn't be used so constantly. Saying "NO" everytime an enemy gets hit will get irrating overtime (also midly distracting, but not in a good way), not to mention out of place. Most games won't have enimes shouting out "no" everytime they get hit, they might have a grunt, but that's usually after you hit them a second or third time. The only thing you should hear when they get hit is the cling sound.

It'd be less accurate were they quiet.

But were they constantly saying no when they got hit?

Nelson
08-30-2015, 11:30 AM
Well I nev.....

Yeah, we're both totally in love with this project!

Thank you Jester!

Regarding the Roadkill Rodneys, now the only talk when defeated.

I am working in the construction site stage now. After that I have to create the unlockable characters for the new 3 stages, and then I'll release a new demo.

oldmanwinters
08-30-2015, 12:08 PM
Thank you Jester!

then I'll release a new demo.

Hurrah! It's been a while since a new playable update. What sort of feedback are you most desiring regarding the gameplay?

Nelson
08-30-2015, 12:41 PM
Hurrah! It's been a while since a new playable update. What sort of feedback are you most desiring regarding the gameplay?

Bugs and such. One of the earlier versions crashed when a 3rd of 4rd players joined in (d'oh!). And of course suggestions are welcome.

Mainly I want to relase the game in batches. If I wait until the game is complete it would take forever. I mean what's the point of working on this game for so long only to accidentally trip and fall in the bathtub and maybe die and then the game won't be played by anyone ever. You know? OK that sounded kinda dark but hopefully it makes sense :P

oldmanwinters
08-30-2015, 04:10 PM
Mainly I want to relase the game in batches. If I wait until the game is complete it would take forever. I mean what's the point of working on this game for so long only to accidentally trip and fall in the bathtub and maybe die and then the game won't be played by anyone ever. You know? OK that sounded kinda dark but hopefully it makes sense :P

Oh, man I totally agree!

I remember when I drew my first (and only) fan comic, I resolved that I wouldn't post any actual pages until I was confident I could finish the whole thing. I ended up posting the whole thing over a single month (I think pages got uploaded in a Thursday, Saturday, Sunday release schedule or something). My thinking at the time was "I don't want people to get invested in this and then have to wait 6 months to 2 years to finish it!" But that was only because I thought the story's pacing was essential.

I definitely think for a game like this, it's great to get to play it after seeing all the various previews. At the same time, I hope early releases won't steal the thunder from the full game release. I've actually been saving each of your releases thus far since each has been a little different than the others.

Xav
08-30-2015, 04:56 PM
A few questions:

I like that you recreated the intro from the first NES game, but why not use the music?

Are you gonna change the stats of the Turtles, because what's the point of choosing Mike over Leo if their stats are the same?

Will all characters be able to use vehicles? Because Slash didn't seem to be able to.

Why not make the Foot Soldiers playable?

On the level select screen will you put a ship for the ship level?

Can the playable Mecaturtle fly? Because can't I seem to figure it out.

I'm not sure if this counts as an error, but if you fall in a pit while using the unlimited health cheat you don't respawn.

LeoRaph
08-31-2015, 07:08 PM
Bugs and such. One of the earlier versions crashed when a 3rd of 4rd players joined in (d'oh!). And of course suggestions are welcome.

Doesn't sound dark at all, I totally hear you.

Just wanted to say Great Job! I've downloaded each version so far and they get better and better, I'm really looking forward to the full version when it's ready.

Nelson
09-02-2015, 09:23 AM
Oh, man I totally agree!

I remember when I drew my first (and only) fan comic, I resolved that I wouldn't post any actual pages until I was confident I could finish the whole thing. I ended up posting the whole thing over a single month (I think pages got uploaded in a Thursday, Saturday, Sunday release schedule or something). My thinking at the time was "I don't want people to get invested in this and then have to wait 6 months to 2 years to finish it!" But that was only because I thought the story's pacing was essential.

I definitely think for a game like this, it's great to get to play it after seeing all the various previews. At the same time, I hope early releases won't steal the thunder from the full game release. I've actually been saving each of your releases thus far since each has been a little different than the others.

And maybe that would be the best way to approach it - wait until the whole game is complete and release it in full form. That's what I did with the Power Rangers game, and it's what I think helped it have good word of mouth (as first impressions were stronger than what they would have been otherwise).

This time I'm doing it differently, but I'm still not sure if it's the right way to do this. That "steal the thunder" factor annoys me, really. I'm the type of guy that avoids even watching movie trailers, in hopes to be surprised 100% while watching a movie. So for a fangame like this, the ideal scenario would be for players to give it a try, not knowing the full list of unlockable characters or any surprise cameos beforehand. BUT on the other hand, if prospective players didn't know about these extra things, they may not even give the game a try in the first place... it's an obscure fan game after all. Catch 22.

A few questions:

I like that you recreated the intro from the first NES game, but why not use the music?

To make things different. Specially since this is not a straight remake of the first NES game.

Are you gonna change the stats of the Turtles, because what's the point of choosing Mike over Leo if their stats are the same?
Very good question. The answer is no. The differene between the Turtles is only their special move, as was (I think) the case in TMNT3. The reason why? Well, I don't think there's a canon differentiation between the Turtle stats in the old toon, but also I want to avoid that you have to play as a turtle different than your favotite simply because his stats are not your cup of tea (see: Raphael being weaksauce in Turtles in Time)

Will all characters be able to use vehicles? Because Slash didn't seem to be able to.
No, some characters (most bosses) are just too big and don't fit the vehicles.

Why not make the Foot Soldiers playable?
Would you like to play as a Foot Soldier?

On the level select screen will you put a ship for the ship level?
I have thought about it. Have been lazy about it to be honest.

Can the playable Mecaturtle fly? Because can't I seem to figure it out.
He can't fly.

I'm not sure if this counts as an error, but if you fall in a pit while using the unlimited health cheat you don't respawn.
Definitely an error. Thanks for bringing this to my atention. I personally despise that cheat so I'll see if I can disable in future editions.
Doesn't sound dark at all, I totally hear you.

Just wanted to say Great Job! I've downloaded each version so far and they get better and better, I'm really looking forward to the full version when it's ready.

Thank you very much!

Powder
09-02-2015, 01:53 PM
Any chance you'll include some of the toyetic characters like Muckman or Mutagen Man? They had OT episodes & their popularity's been revived with their inclusion in Nick's series.

Nelson
09-02-2015, 02:45 PM
Any chance you'll include some of the toyetic characters like Muckman or Mutagen Man? They had OT episodes & their popularity's been revived with their inclusion in Nick's series.

Not those in particular but in the next release I'm including Fugitoid (in toy colors).

oldmanwinters
09-02-2015, 03:51 PM
Very good question. The answer is no. The differene between the Turtles is only their special move, as was (I think) the case in TMNT3. The reason why? Well, I don't think there's a canon differentiation between the Turtle stats in the old toon, but also I want to avoid that you have to play as a turtle different than your favotite simply because his stats are not your cup of tea (see: Raphael being weaksauce in Turtles in Time)

I very much appreciate this approach. Although I certainly understand that one of the turtles might be more skilled or naturally gifted than another in regards to strength or speed, I never really liked that some of the games made them so different in gameplay attributes. It's even more noticeable in some fighting games. I think it's important to remember than each turtle had the same teacher, so their styles should logically be more similar than different. In the OT especially, there was no distinctive physically distinguishing characteristics between the turtles. They all appeared to be in equal physical condition and body types (with the exception of Michelangelo whenever he got lazy and flabby).

All that said, I always prefer speed in my classic beat em ups over power, as some enemies can be nigh impossible to hit in games like Streets of Rage.

With all the diverse characters and gameplay styles you are working into Rescue Palooza, I think differentiating each turtle by special move is perfect. TMNT3 introduced that feature and no other game did a better job of making the turtles feel unique, even though their stats were otherwise the same.

Xav
09-02-2015, 04:23 PM
To make things different. Specially since this is not a straight remake of the first NES game.That's cool. But are you gonna use it anywhere in the game?
No, some characters (most bosses) are just too big and don't fit the vehicles.So why can't Meca? He's the same size as the Turtles.Would you like to play as a Foot Soldier?Perhaps, I think it might be fun to play as some of the non-boss enemies.
He can't fly.But why not? I was thinking maybe you could give some some characters multiple special moves? Like for example if you double jump Mecaturtle flies, or if if you press down attack he shoots a missile out of his head. Or pressing down attack with Slash could make him shoot his special move forward.

One more thing. On the rooftop stage why can't you destroy the turrets on the platforms before you fight Slash? You can destroy the big ones on the battleship.

Tortuglio
09-06-2015, 01:11 AM
Such great, amazing and creative work, men. Really, there's always a nice surprise awaiting.

Some things i would like to comment:

-The Rodneys' electric cable grabs the character for a few seconds instead of just slapping/touching them. I believe you did it like that because of the complexity of doing it the other way with so many different characters, wich is fine by me, but i wanted to satisfy my curiosity haha.

-Rocksteady also has a kick attack for when you are too close. Again, i believe it's not there because the project is still a WIP.

http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/ae116/merso/story.png

And for last, i think that Raph's fingers should look just a bit wider. I bet you have and image from where you traced that drawing, but as a quick example i could only think of this image:
http://www.miragelicensing.com/comics/mirage/volume04/19/cover.jpg

Not the same perspective or angle, but i think it works for looking at size.

Again, excellent job!

Tortuglio
09-06-2015, 01:45 AM
well, i tried to do it myself, but i've got to hand it to you... those fingers are ****ing hard to draw! i tried another pose for the thumb, but don't know if it's better or worse. :tconfuse:

http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q514/tortuglio/story.png

Cryomancer
09-29-2015, 01:55 PM
You have been LP'd:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MpQ5WWQUHY

Also while watching this I was for some reason thinking that you could probably incorporate some stuff from Radical_Rescue (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teenage_Mutant_Ninja_Turtles_III:_Radical_Rescue) if you wanted some more OT/playmates style bosses.

oldmanwinters
09-29-2015, 04:16 PM
You have been LP'd:

Also while watching this I was for some reason thinking that you could probably incorporate some stuff from Radical_Rescue (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teenage_Mutant_Ninja_Turtles_III:_Radical_Rescue) if you wanted some more OT/playmates style bosses.

Haha, looks like the LPer struggled trying to beat Rooftop Run with April as much as I did at first. Slash is genuinely tough to avoid without a jump kick attack!

TigerClaw
09-29-2015, 05:14 PM
You have been LP'd:

-MpQ5WWQUHY

Cool! here it is embedded.

Is the barcode on the character select screen real? my barcode scanner app couldn't scan it.

I Crave Pizza No More
09-30-2015, 04:28 AM
I'm just now seeing this thread and learning of this game for the first time.

All I can say is: WOW.

Crynal
10-01-2015, 10:05 PM
Just curious, any plans on putting the turtle allies that you rescue in cages, frozen, tied up, etc in the background just before you rescue them and join up, with a thank you or such? Like how the 2 NES games did with April and Splinter tied up and struggling?

Can't wait until you finish this, it keeps looking better and better!

Nelson
11-19-2015, 10:00 PM
Sorry for disappearing for so long. I stupidly forgot my password for the longest time.

That's cool. But are you gonna use it anywhere in the game?

I have a plan for the game but some things keep changing around so it's hard to tell you with certainty what will be in the final version. But I appreciate your suggestions.

-The Rodneys' electric cable grabs the character for a few seconds instead of just slapping/touching them. I believe you did it like that because of the complexity of doing it the other way with so many different characters, wich is fine by me, but i wanted to satisfy my curiosity haha.

It's because of laziness as you say. I might come back and fix that later on. For now my priority is the creation of new stages and unlockable characters (mainly because it would be weird to release new stages that don't have anyone to unlock).

-Rocksteady also has a kick attack for when you are too close. Again, i believe it's not there because the project is still a WIP.

Again, laziness. Also, I hope that the lack of that attack will be less obvious in the final game, because that level will pit you against both Bebop and Rocksteady at the same time.

You have been LP'd:

Thank you for bringing it to my attention!

I am in fact adding characters from that game, and also one of the Technodrome stages will be based on it. :)

Is the barcode on the character select screen real? my barcode scanner app couldn't scan it.

It's not. Because of the screen resolution, it doesn't have the right amount of bars. But it's very funny that you tried that. It's based on the barcode of a real TMNT figure, but I forgot which one.

I'm just now seeing this thread and learning of this game for the first time.

All I can say is: WOW.
Thank you!

Just curious, any plans on putting the turtle allies that you rescue in cages, frozen, tied up, etc in the background just before you rescue them and join up, with a thank you or such? Like how the 2 NES games did with April and Splinter tied up and struggling?

I have thought about it, it has its pros and cons, so I'm not sure yet.

I believe most of you guys are already aware of this, but I released another demo this week, here (http://gamejolt.com/games/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-rescue-palooza/39658).

4IFBW4kNzvw

Cryomancer
11-20-2015, 12:30 AM
Wow, this game keeps getting more impressive! I watched that and was quite surprised at many clever decisions throughout. Keep it up!

oldmanwinters
11-20-2015, 07:05 AM
I was stunned by the coolness of the execution when Shredder butted into the junkyard level and used the Eye of Sarnath to create the Cement Monster... clever way to integrate the video game sprites with the cartoon series' plots.

Nelson
11-20-2015, 03:48 PM
Thank you, guys!

Ninjinister
11-20-2015, 06:01 PM
Rocksteady's lack of an up-close melee actually crossed my mind watching that footage of him as playable. Maybe that could be his jump + attack at the same time attack if he doesn't already have one.

Xav
11-21-2015, 07:51 PM
I have a plan for the game but some things keep changing around so it's hard to tell you with certainty what will be in the final version. But I appreciate your suggestions.Fair enough. Though I do have a lot of thoughts and suggestions about the new demo. I guess it wouldn't hurt if I list em?

Having the title screen say "Press Start Dudes!" is cute. But if you're playing with a keyboard it makes no sense as there's no start key. I think this might confuse some people.

The intro is nice but there should be a way to skip it easier.

I think you should put the cheats back in, even if they are buggy. I can't pass the demo and I have beaten some pretty hard games. I think some people might want to use em.

I think you could add continues to make it easier. You could also have you gain an extra life every 100 kills or so.

Don says his Cloneulator will make a double of anyone they come across, so why does it only make a copy of bosses?

On April's Apartment I think it would be funny if the guy who runs past you is Vernon.

I don't know if you could do this, but it might be cool if when you used the special attack with the Mother Mouser it shoot out good Mousers to help you.

When April sees you she says "Whoa am I glad to see you guys!" now I think you should change this line as it doesn't make any sense if you're playing single player or as a villain.

I wanna hear Rocksteady say "Drink blazing electric death!".

I like the Crooked Ninja Turtle Gang on the construction level, but why not make smash a mini-boss?

I think those rolling barrels should drop health or something so there is a reason to destroy them and not just jump over them. In fact think health power-ups might be a good idea in all of the levels.

I don't know why but Cement Man is just broken. He doesn't attack much he just keeps moving back and forth. Isn't he supposed to throw stuff at you? Plus his health appears yellow but it's green underneath like he has two health bars but he doesn't.

Tokka's special doesn't seem very useful. I think it might be better if you made his special his jump forward attack or you could have him bite peoples heads like he does in the NES game.

On Muckman I think he should say "Muckman fights with garbage!".

On the Van level there's a bug where the Foot Soldiers walk on top of the van but it looks like they are walking on air,

I think Chrome Dome should talk. Maybe the line "Intruder alert!" from Planet of the Turtleoids might work to start the boss fight.

Now Fugitoid, I don't how to put this but his walking animation just looks strange. Like he keeps turning his back all the time.

On the rooftop level after you beat Mecaturtle, there's a few big empty platforms. It feels like there should be enemies there.

When you fight Slash there's a bug that when you are knocked down to the left, you stand up inside the platform.

Mecaturtle doesn't seem that useful. Perhaps make him like Rocksteady and Muckman have has gun be his normal attack and maybe his missile could be his special?

On the bonus stage are the Foot Soldiers supposed to attack you?

Ninjinister
11-22-2015, 09:56 PM
Having the title screen say "Press Start Dudes!" is cute. But if you're playing with a keyboard it makes no sense as there's no start key. I think this might confuse some people.

If someone gets confused by that, they don't deserve to be playing a video game.

Crynal
11-23-2015, 01:08 AM
I love :toops: that tied up April sprite with her voice from the cartoon!

Ninjinister
11-25-2015, 12:01 AM
I love :toops: that tied up April sprite with her voice from the cartoon!

Maybe it's the way you said it, but that seems a little creepy.

Crynal
11-25-2015, 02:38 AM
Just the way I typed it. Just meant I loved it since it was just like the second TMNT game where April is guarded, either by bebop and rocksteady or baxter the fly and she wiggles trying to break free. Although in that, she didn't have a voice when you fight the boss(s).

Would be fun too see all the allies in different forms of imprisonment while you fight the boss, like with April. With just a hint of emotion, like splinter worried, fugitoid confused, casey angry... etc.

Nelson
11-25-2015, 10:13 AM
Thanks for the suggestions!

On the bonus stage are the Foot Soldiers supposed to attack you?

No, you can't get hit or die on the Sewer Tubin' level. It's just there to help you score additional lives.

Chaotix12345
06-01-2016, 06:35 AM
Wow, how did I go so long without checking this out?! Just from playing the latest demo, I can tell that this is an absolute labor of love and as someone who's biggest constant TMNT fix growing up was the SNES games, noticing each small extra detail that you worked in just makes me smile even harder. From the variety of different playable characters to the voice clips (Love that even Fugitoid's 2k3 skin has the appropriate voice!) to the attention to detail paid to both game and cartoon elements, this is definitely one of the nicest fan games I've ever played and I am SOOOOOO looking forward to seeing more in the future. :D

Also, Nelson, if you're still lurking around, I gotta ask about some of my favorite characters. Are you planning on adding any Archie-exclusive characters like Armaggon later on? Also, with Wingnut (If you're thinking of adding him), are you planning for him to be a heroic captured character (Like he is in said comics and the Playmates bio) or a boss? (Since he was an evil space invader in the cartoon.) Cheers!

Crynal
06-11-2016, 01:33 AM
Watching and playing this again it seems weird April is held captive in her own apartment, rather then the channel 6 building. Weird but fine. Any plans for the more obscure mad scientist villains (like that one crazy guy who changed April into a fish) and toy only characters like pizza face?

Nelson
07-06-2016, 11:08 AM
Wow, how did I go so long without checking this out?! Just from playing the latest demo, I can tell that this is an absolute labor of love and as someone who's biggest constant TMNT fix growing up was the SNES games, noticing each small extra detail that you worked in just makes me smile even harder. From the variety of different playable characters to the voice clips (Love that even Fugitoid's 2k3 skin has the appropriate voice!) to the attention to detail paid to both game and cartoon elements, this is definitely one of the nicest fan games I've ever played and I am SOOOOOO looking forward to seeing more in the future. :D

Also, Nelson, if you're still lurking around, I gotta ask about some of my favorite characters. Are you planning on adding any Archie-exclusive characters like Armaggon later on? Also, with Wingnut (If you're thinking of adding him), are you planning for him to be a heroic captured character (Like he is in said comics and the Playmates bio) or a boss? (Since he was an evil space invader in the cartoon.) Cheers!

Thank you very much for your nice comments, Chaotix. Also sorry for the super late response.
When it comes to characters I have two lists, one of characters that are for sure going to be in the game, and a B list for characters to be made only if I still have the drive/time after the game has been completed, and if they can fit in a level the game without making it too crowded. Armaggon is in list A, Wingnut is in B.
If I do include him, he will probably be a boss. Even in his Archie incarnation, he fought the Turtles before siding with them (in one of the very very few comics I had back then). The question is... show he look like he did in the cartoon and his action figure OR like he did in the Archie comics? I prefer is Archie look, but I welcome other opinions.

Watching and playing this again it seems weird April is held captive in her own apartment, rather then the channel 6 building. Weird but fine. Any plans for the more obscure mad scientist villains (like that one crazy guy who changed April into a fish) and toy only characters like pizza face?

I see what you mean about April. She's is in her apartment only because that's where she was in the TMNT2 game. Let's say it was her day off. :trazz:
No plans so far for scientists, but there will be toy only characters. I mean Scratch is toy only in a way...

oldmanwinters
07-06-2016, 11:27 AM
No plans so far for scientists, but there will be toy only characters. I mean Scratch is toy only in a way...

Woo-hoo!

Ever play TMNT 3: Radical Rescue on Game Boy? It was fun to see all those action figures in sprite form for the first and only time!

Nelson
07-09-2016, 07:00 AM
Ever play TMNT 3: Radical Rescue on Game Boy? It was fun to see all those action figures in sprite form for the first and only time!

Absolutely! That's where I am taking the Scratch sprites from :)

oldmanwinters
07-09-2016, 07:26 AM
Absolutely! That's where I am taking the Scratch sprites from :)

I figured as much! Your whole concept of unlocking characters after rescuing them is a similar gameplay concept as the old game, though you offer a non-linear approach that doesn't require you to use a certain character to progress a level.

Chaotix12345
07-09-2016, 10:53 AM
Thank you very much for your nice comments, Chaotix. Also sorry for the super late response.
When it comes to characters I have two lists, one of characters that are for sure going to be in the game, and a B list for characters to be made only if I still have the drive/time after the game has been completed, and if they can fit in a level the game without making it too crowded. Armaggon is in list A, Wingnut is in B.
If I do include him, he will probably be a boss. Even in his Archie incarnation, he fought the Turtles before siding with them (in one of the very very few comics I had back then). The question is... show he look like he did in the cartoon and his action figure OR like he did in the Archie comics? I prefer is Archie look, but I welcome other opinions.
No problem! Good work should be appreciated! Glad to hear about Armaggon and yeah, Archie design is definitely the way to go for Wingnut. (Especially if Screwloose appears as his special attack or something. Cartoon/Toy wife-beater Screwloose always looked really off to me.)

Nelson
12-26-2016, 04:45 PM
New demo available:

http://gamejolt.com/games/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-rescue-palooza/39658

http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/ae116/merso/rescue_palooza_2017_1.gif

Powder
12-26-2016, 05:05 PM
Don't forget to hit me up (seems like this is getting into crunch time?) for the tracks. I've got some other WIP's that I could finish up when it's ready.

Skipping out on this demo 'cause I wanna get the full experience of a complete game, but I've followed all of your updates & it's lookin' so fantastic.

CyberCubed
12-27-2016, 02:10 PM
Really fun of what I played so far. I think the Turtle Van level is a bit too difficult though, especially when 6 Foot Soldiers are there at the same time along with the ship blasting you from the side.

Nelson
12-29-2016, 11:16 PM
Don't forget to hit me up (seems like this is getting into crunch time?) for the tracks. I've got some other WIP's that I could finish up when it's ready.

Skipping out on this demo 'cause I wanna get the full experience of a complete game, but I've followed all of your updates & it's lookin' so fantastic.

Thank you very much, Powder. Also if I were you I'd probably do the same and wait for the final version of the game.

Really fun of what I played so far. I think the Turtle Van level is a bit too difficult though, especially when 6 Foot Soldiers are there at the same time along with the ship blasting you from the side.

Thank you very much Cyber. I am working to change things so if you fall off the van you lose energy instead of a full life. I just couldn't figure out how to do that for this demo (I tried for like a full day and gave up, I'll try again some other time).

CyberCubed
12-30-2016, 01:18 AM
Thank you very much Cyber. I am working to change things so if you fall off the van you lose energy instead of a full life. I just couldn't figure out how to do that for this demo (I tried for like a full day and gave up, I'll try again some other time).

Yeah, the rooftop level too had you lose your entire credit instead of just losing some lives too, and it got really frustrating at some point. It would be great if you didn't lose an entire credit just for falling to your death.