PDA

View Full Version : [Fan Comic] Gay themes in older mediums?

BuffoTheClown
02-02-2015, 11:12 PM
Off the top of my head I cant recall if there were any gay scenes or themes in tmnt comics. Was there ever any?

I ask because I am creating a graphic novel based on tmnt and I might have two men in a relationship. Honestly, is that something that would be okay with you, as a hardcore tmnt fan, to read about? This is a serious story. This isnt beef cake fan service. I just dont want to have a gay relationship if it is too distracting from the main plot.

There would be no nudity, no even a shadowy sex scene. The relationship is just implied. Maybe they share a kiss.

Powder
02-03-2015, 12:06 AM
To my knowledge, there hasn't been. I don't read fan-fiction or anything but so long as it wasn't done poorly, I'd take no issue with it. If we're talking about the turtles boning one another, that, I don't support. But otherwise, whatever.

pennydreadful
02-03-2015, 01:58 AM
Fun fact - if you say the word "gay" in the forums, I will inevitably show up. :P

In all seriousness - you'll get some people who don't like the idea of gayness in a Turtles story, regardless of context. But there are also lots of people who are fine with it, myself included.

End of the day, it's your story - write it the way you want to write it. If it's good, it'll find its audience regardless.

Good luck with it, dude, and props to you for being brave enough to try something new. :tthumbsu:

Mew
02-03-2015, 06:16 AM
Everyone should applause to you.
Your doing a newer concept that hasn't really been touched before.
:]

snake
02-03-2015, 06:42 AM
I don't think it's been done. As long as it isn't the turtles, I would be fine with it.

Powder
02-03-2015, 07:05 AM
Will Shredder be wearing pink high heels? :tlol:

I know you're just a kid, supposedly, but you should know better than to say something like that.

Leo656
02-03-2015, 07:12 AM
Fun fact - if you say the word "gay" in the forums, I will inevitably show up. :P

Whisper "T-Cest" three times out loud by the light of a candle and she appears behind you in the mirror like the f***in' Candyman. :lol:

pennydreadful
02-03-2015, 03:10 PM
http://files.cookienscreenuk.webnode.com/200002492-be497bf43b/tumblr_mhczwy9w9p1rlg4igo1_r1_500.gif

:lol:

Also Meow... we have forum members who aren't straight, so maybe just be aware of that with future posts, yeah?

***First of Two Latin Kings***
02-03-2015, 05:06 PM
Everyone should applause to you.
Your doing a newer concept that hasn't really been touched before.
Will Shredder be wearing pink high heels? :tlol:

I hope this is supposed to be ironic.

A writer who goes by Phishstar, who used to be friends with Technodrome's own GreenWillow (another fan fiction author whose work is taken pretty seriously), did a story where Donatello was in a relationship with a member of the Foot named Byron. Technodrome's own Tokka (whose work was featured as a pin-up in an issue of Tales of the TMNT Vol. 2) did an illustration for that story.

So gay themes have shown up, even in more SERIOUS fan-fiction. Not a fan of gay sex but also don't really care what people do if it doesn't affect me, gay relationships aren't significantly different from straight ones, etc. There's still a bit of a taboo surrounding it in our society and I think that's where the appeal comes from. People want to be shocked by something that wouldn't shock them if they weren't so stupid.

Re-reading other posts by other people, I find it interesting that others here were offended by the comment about Shredder in pink high heels. That I found amusing. Simply because that sterotype DOES exist and it is a funny image to have in your head. Even though we do have gay members here who deserve to be treated with respect, we shouldn't have to walk on eggshells around what is in fact a valid sterotype.

BuffoTheClown
02-03-2015, 05:10 PM
Nah, the turtles aren't the focus of this story. The relationship would be between two of the main human characters. I'm sorry I didn't make this clear in the OP.

pennydreadful
02-03-2015, 05:52 PM
Re-reading other posts by other people, I find it interesting that others here were offended by the comment about Shredder in pink high heels. That I found amusing. Simply because that sterotype DOES exist and it is a funny image to have in your head. Even though we do have gay members here who deserve to be treated with respect, we shouldn't have to walk on eggshells around what is in fact a valid sterotype.

Stereotypes aren't funny, any more than the notion that Asian people can't drive or black people love fried chicken and watermelon is amusing. Whether or not camp gay men or crossdressers exist isn't the point. You can't say to a camp gay man "you exist and deserve respect, but I have the right to laugh at you because I don't want to have to think about what I say and how it might make you feel".

There are gay men who wear high heels. There are straight men who wear high heels. Their existence is not the problem here; the attitude that it's a natural reaction to find it humorous is the problem. Breaking down the joke, the "humor" is that someone is acting in a way which society says men shouldn't act, that he's taking on feminine attributes and is therefore worthy of being scorned.

I'm sure the peanut gallery will cue the "woooh, you made Tumblr mad" jokes now, but really - I don't see what is so lame about treating others with respect. It's got nothing to do with "political correctness gone mad" - it's to do with not putting people down/making fun of them because they're not the same as you.

If you know someone and they're ok with you joking around with them that way, that's fine - but don't just walk up and start cracking jokes at someone's expense unless you know they're ok with it.

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/260/c/a/the_mask_gif_leaving__by_teravita-d5f17yk.gif

Netkeeper
02-03-2015, 06:09 PM
Here I am, Penny's gay partner in crime. I'd be the shopping buddy, except I don't know dick about that.

I think we're all forgetting MNT Gaiden, which had a gay side character :V

Also, while I agree stereotyping is harmful, I honestly don't mind those kind of jokes about gay dudes. Like. I've had some of the most fun with people when they've cracked jokes like those towards me. But I recognise this wasn't directed at me. I dunno, I just don't find that comment offensive even though I know I probably should.

pennydreadful
02-03-2015, 06:46 PM
Technically as the queer feminist I should be walking around in flannel and flat, unfashionable shoes, complaining about the cost of a women's short haircut being more expensive than the cost of a man's short haircut...

Oh wait, I already do that. :lol: Argh, stereotype!

And hey, I'm glad you're not offended - but at the end of the day, people shouldn't just assume that their comment will be taken a certain way.

Now come over here, Net - you're gay so you should be able to tell me how to interior decorate, right? :P *holds up paint color samples* Do you think I am a summer or a winter? And if I choose Burnt Umber to decorate my architraves, will it still match my coffee table?

https://collegecandy.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/tumblr_m7y0b5dkww1qcb0rxo1_5001.gif?w=500&h=281

snake
02-03-2015, 07:23 PM
Stereotypes aren't funny, any more than the notion that Asian people can't drive or black people love fried chicken and watermelon is amusing. Whether or not camp gay men or crossdressers exist isn't the point. You can't say to a camp gay man "you exist and deserve respect, but I have the right to laugh at you because I don't want to have to think about what I say and how it might make you feel".

There are gay men who wear high heels. There are straight men who wear high heels. Their existence is not the problem here; the attitude that it's a natural reaction to find it humorous is the problem. Breaking down the joke, the "humor" is that someone is acting in a way which society says men shouldn't act, that he's taking on feminine attributes and is therefore worthy of being scorned.

I'm sure the peanut gallery will cue the "woooh, you made Tumblr mad" jokes now, but really - I don't see what is so lame about treating others with respect. It's got nothing to do with "political correctness gone mad" - it's to do with not putting people down/making fun of them because they're not the same as you.

If you know someone and they're ok with you joking around with them that way, that's fine - but don't just walk up and start cracking jokes at someone's expense unless you know they're ok with it.

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/260/c/a/the_mask_gif_leaving__by_teravita-d5f17yk.gif

woooh, you made Tumblr mad

pennydreadful
02-03-2015, 08:10 PM
http://gifmansion.com/GM/uploads/2012/03/dontdothat.gif

Netkeeper
02-03-2015, 09:27 PM
Now come over here, Net - you're gay so you should be able to tell me how to interior decorate, right? :P *holds up paint color samples* Do you think I am a summer or a winter? And if I choose Burnt Umber to decorate my architraves, will it still match my coffee table?

https://collegecandy.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/tumblr_m7y0b5dkww1qcb0rxo1_5001.gif?w=500&h=281
http://i.imgur.com/eqOqD4k.png

Uhhh, uhhhhhh....

woooh, you made Tumblr mad
http://i.imgur.com/m3I8OF2.png

snake
02-03-2015, 09:43 PM
http://i.imgur.com/m3I8OF2.pnghttp://new1.fjcdn.com/comments/How+s+middle+school+_e281a08e94cf75a99174fab48aab9 1d5.png

YOU'RE edgy!

ProactiveMan
02-04-2015, 12:10 AM
Honestly, besides the fact that I don't care to know too much about the Turtle's romantic lives, I wouldn't be averse to a gay Turtle. It could happen.

complaining about the cost of a women's short haircut being more expensive than the cost of a man's short haircut...

The secrete is getting you hair cut in a filthy dive by a tattooed sailor-man with yellow teeth. Even with the price of the ten-yearly tetanus booster, it works out cheaper than anywhere else.

All joking aside, keep complaining.

MsMarvelDuckie
02-04-2015, 12:38 AM
See, this is why I cut my OWN hair. Since all I ever need is a straight whack across the bottom and trim down the bangs, it's much easier and cheaper than having someone else do it. And I've gotten very good at keeping it even! I also use a #2 trimmer blade on my hubby- which reminds me, he's in need of another cut.

BuffoTheClown
02-04-2015, 01:29 AM
Honestly, besides the fact that I don't care to know too much about the Turtle's romantic lives, I wouldn't be averse to a gay Turtle. It could happen.

The secrete is getting you hair cut in a filthy dive by a tattooed sailor-man with yellow teeth. Even with the price of the ten-yearly tetanus booster, it works out cheaper than anywhere else.

All joking aside, keep complaining.

nah, the turtles are not gay. two of the male human leads are.

Netkeeper
02-04-2015, 02:23 AM
Man tho, the ****ed up thing is that men and women's razors are priced differently [women's being more expensive] even though they look exactly the same.

e x a c t l y the same product

ProactiveMan
02-04-2015, 03:23 AM
Man tho, the ****ed up thing is that men and women's razors are priced differently [women's being more expensive] even though they look exactly the same.

For some reason, that seems to depend on the brand, at least where I live. I have no idea why, but I've noticed Bic favour women and Shick favour men.

Leo656
02-04-2015, 08:20 AM
I'm just gonna go ahead and piss everyone off by saying I find stereotypes hilarious. Although you do need to keep your immediate "audience" in mind before you say something silly out loud.

AND, anyone who thinks Asian people CAN drive has never been on the NJ Turnpike. Pretty sure a DWO - "Driving While Oriental" - is in itself a 4-point moving violation.

plastroncafe
02-04-2015, 12:06 PM
Whisper "T-Cest" three times out loud by the light of a candle and she appears behind you in the mirror like the f***in' Candyman. :lol:

...i'm totally going to try this.
Why? Because Penny and I need to hang out, and airfare is expensive.

I'm just gonna go ahead and piss everyone off by saying I find stereotypes hilarious. Although you do need to keep your immediate "audience" in mind before you say something silly out loud.

AND, anyone who thinks Asian people CAN drive has never been on the NJ Turnpike. Pretty sure a DWO - "Driving While Oriental" - is in itself a 4-point moving violation.

Stereotypes are great, so long as they punch up and not down.
Which is why my favorite ones involve Fat White Americans on Holiday, and Rabid Fanboys.

MsMarvelDuckie
02-04-2015, 12:31 PM

Aaaand, just to keep everything (and everyone) in perspective here- here's THIS for some fun humor on stereotypes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXnM1uHhsOI

pennydreadful
02-04-2015, 04:01 PM
nah, the turtles are not gay. two of the male human leads are.

Just out of curiosity, are the characters in question OCs, or established characters in the franchise? I'd love to hear more about the project if you're comfortable with sharing.

http://38.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lzqce5IhEI1rn95k2o1_500.gif

Netkeeper
02-05-2015, 12:56 AM
Let me know if you succeed, because Penny and I need to hang out too. Maybe all three of us can have a day.

Stereotypes are great, so long as they punch up and not down.
Which is why my favorite ones involve Fat White Americans on Holiday, and Rabid Fanboys.
Not all men.

Super Goku
02-05-2015, 01:30 PM
Off the top of my head I cant recall if there were any gay scenes or themes in tmnt comics. Was there ever any?

I ask because I am creating a graphic novel based on tmnt and I might have two men in a relationship. Honestly, is that something that would be okay with you, as a hardcore tmnt fan, to read about? This is a serious story. This isnt beef cake fan service. I just dont want to have a gay relationship if it is too distracting from the main plot.

There would be no nudity, no even a shadowy sex scene. The relationship is just implied. Maybe they share a kiss.

I don't know if there were any in the comics. I just watch the cartoons and movies.

I wish I had the drawing talent to create a graphic novel. That would be cool.

If you're the writer, you can put whatever you want to in the story. The subject matter might be viewed as controversial by some people. It could also distract from any other story that is in the graphic novel.

I don't usually read fan-fiction, unless I'm the one who wrote it though.

BuffoTheClown
02-06-2015, 01:43 PM
Just out of curiosity, are the characters in question OCs, or established characters in the franchise? I'd love to hear more about the project if you're comfortable with sharing.

Two college professors, Professor Yoshi and Professor Karai, both work together on genetic manipulation and are in a relationships. Long story short, their relationship becomes strained, and Yoshi starts seeking companionship elsewhere. He finds it with their student Casey (male), who is part of their student research team. Karai finds out, and stuff happens.

Leo656
02-06-2015, 02:02 PM

They charge extra based on the mental anguish they suffer on their end. "This thing is gonna touch some chick's cooter. Grozz."