View Full Version : A-Force the all new all female Avengers comic series

turtlefanforever
02-06-2015, 01:46 PM
http://marvel.com/news/comics/24048/marvel_comics_presents_a-force

All female avengers. Name: A-Force
how do you feel?

Mew
02-06-2015, 01:51 PM
We don't need it, but hey it could be good.

plastroncafe
02-06-2015, 02:25 PM
With She-Hulk and Fraction's run on Hawkeye ending, it's nice to be excited by something come out of Marvel.

Funny that the two books I buy from them will both be penned by G. Willow Wilson. Not surprising, but funny.

ZariusTwo
02-06-2015, 03:01 PM
Heard this was supposed to be announced on The View earlier in the day, but they cancelled that and instead announced it online. Imagine the poor souls who stayed through that whole programme. Horrifying.

DC definitely topped Marvel in the bombshell department today with their post-convergence plans.

Can I stress again just how sick I've become of Spider-Gwen? Poor girl hasn't had two issues by herself and she's being rammed down everyone's throats via crossover after crossover. Settle her down Marvel.

Wish this book all the best regardless.

CyberCubed
02-06-2015, 11:51 PM
An all female superhero comic, probably read by all teenage boys. I bet there will be a lot of skimpy outfits and sex appeal and a few lesbian twists for the male gaze.

Leo656
02-06-2015, 11:54 PM
I can't wait for the arc where all their periods line up at the same time.

CyberCubed
02-07-2015, 12:08 AM
How are they going to handle birth control? The women have to take care of the children, not save the world.

Leo656
02-07-2015, 12:12 AM
I imagine we'll see an arc where they open their own Subway franchise, given their super-speedy sandwich-making abilities.

CyberCubed
02-07-2015, 12:24 AM
Watch there be an issue where a guy tries to join the team and they all give him hell saying, "Women can do anything better than men" speech.

Leo656
02-07-2015, 12:58 AM
Except get erections. The most important thing of all, they can NOT do better or at all.

SO HUH.

Amaranthus
02-07-2015, 04:31 AM
I can't wait for the arc where all their periods line up at the same time.

Poor super-villains.

Candy Kappa
02-07-2015, 04:56 AM
http://41.media.tumblr.com/0a5e1be148e08c626385bf85af889b82/tumblr_njdnmyBvYT1rvya9ro1_540.png

http://40.media.tumblr.com/429ad39f5af958adeaa985e3d7dce2b8/tumblr_njdnmyBvYT1rvya9ro2_540.png

:lol:

ZariusTwo
02-07-2015, 06:10 AM
In other news, the co-creator of Kamala Khan was named the new director of character development at Marvel

plastroncafe
02-07-2015, 07:30 AM
Except get erections. The most important thing of all, they can NOT do better or at all.

SO HUH.

Huh. Starting to feel a little bad for Mrs Leo.

GET THEE TO AN A&P CLASS!

Leo656
02-07-2015, 07:45 AM
I'm just so awful with abbreviations. FYI.

For the record though my wife hates women and actually thinks these jokes are funny. :lol:

plastroncafe
02-07-2015, 07:57 AM
A&P means anatomy and physiology.
and it's great that your wife finds them funny, me not so much.

you're being ironic but I've met a lot of people online, and in person, who hold those opinions as gospel truth. it's tiresome. And you guys making light of them, enables others, and reinforces all the stereotypes.

of course, when women try to do the exact same thing, as I have done several times on this board, we get labeled misandrist and man haters and then we're told we don't mourn our dead grandmothers enough.

DarthRaphael
02-07-2015, 08:06 AM
This thread is horrible.

Bry
02-07-2015, 08:08 AM
My comic budget's stretched to the max right now, but I'll probably check this out! It's a strong creative team, and G. Willow Wilson in particular has impressed the hell out of me.

Can I stress again just how sick I've become of Spider-Gwen? Poor girl hasn't had two issues by herself and she's being rammed down everyone's throats via crossover after crossover. Settle her down Marvel.

I dunno, I feel like her success came pretty naturally. Her cool design grabbed attention, her intro comic was really fun, and it snowballed from there. She's the Anti-Silk.

But Marvel would be smart to calm down on trying to capitalize on it. Nothing snuffs out natural popularity more than the executives grabbing the reigns in order to "maximize profits".

http://41.media.tumblr.com/0a5e1be148e08c626385bf85af889b82/tumblr_njdnmyBvYT1rvya9ro1_540.png

http://40.media.tumblr.com/429ad39f5af958adeaa985e3d7dce2b8/tumblr_njdnmyBvYT1rvya9ro2_540.png

:lol:

BOOM! :lol:

Leo656
02-07-2015, 10:06 AM
Plas: Well, I'm not those people, and I do hear you. But literally everyone here knows me by now, or should, and should know my "humor" well enough to take it as its meant. And truth be told, people who legitimately have those kinds of feelings, are not going to be dissuaded by me, you, or anyone else, because they're assh*les, and assh*les don't care whose feelings they hurt.

I'm not "enabling" anybody by goofing around with a bunch of people who know full-well I don't mean it, any more than the guys and girls in the locker room with me, of every race and color and sexuality in the rainbow, trading racially-insensitive and/or homophobic jokes are "enabling" anyone. They're Pals goofing around because they're like brothers and sisters and they know full-well it's nonsense. They wouldn't take it from anyone on the street, but they'll goof around with their buddies.

So, I hear you, but again, Fight The Real Enemy. We're all pals here, and the "worst" thing about those jokes are that they're (purposely) lazy and cliche'd. Don't read too much into it coming from my ass of all people. Like you said, there's people who say those things, and worse, and mean it. They probably deserve a spanking more than I do. I'm just doing schtick and everyone knows it.

Sorry I hurt your feelings, but on some level, there's a decision one makes about whether or not their feelings are actually hurt, or if they say, "Eh, dude's just being a goober" and move on.

Like we say in the locker room: "Don't Sell The Rib."

Spike Spiegel
02-07-2015, 10:46 AM
There was an all-female X-Men book launched recently, so it seems like a natural progression.

The only thing I wonder about is the roster. How many are going to be on the team? Are they going to have a rotating roster like in JLU? Too many characters make for for lazy writing and story arcs that feel incomplete. With all of the characters moving between the X-Men and the Avengers lately, it's why I've started focusing more on books about single characters.

ZariusTwo
02-07-2015, 10:56 AM
I dunno, I feel like her success came pretty naturally. Her cool design grabbed attention, her intro comic was really fun, and it snowballed from there. She's the Anti-Silk.

No question. Marvel even tried hoodwinking people with "fans demanded Silk get an ongoing, we totally NEVER planned her to have a book" in an attempt to scoop Gwen's heat. Ha.

Bry
02-07-2015, 11:01 AM
No question. Marvel even tried hoodwinking people with "fans demanded Silk get an ongoing, we totally NEVER planned her to have a book" in an attempt to scoop Gwen's heat. Ha.

HA! Like, dudes, dudes... we (barely) remember Alpha (http://marvel.wikia.com/Andrew_Maguire_%28Earth-616%29). Not buyin' it. :lol:

TheSkeletonMan939
02-07-2015, 02:25 PM
An all female superhero comic, probably read by all teenage boys. I bet there will be a lot of skimpy outfits and sex appeal and a few lesbian twists for the male gaze.

I know you and Leo were just joking around, but I sadly think that this'll come true.

Young boys are still a target demographic for comics, and they aren't afraid to strip the females of all their clothes to make a few bucks.

CyberCubed
02-07-2015, 02:35 PM
Considering all the females costumes are still figure hugging with latex outfits, short skirts on some of them, and huge boobs all around, I'd say that's a yes.

Bry
02-09-2015, 08:34 AM
Young boys are still a target demographic for comics, and they aren't afraid to strip the females of all their clothes to make a few bucks.

I really believe/hope this is changing. New research suggests nearly half of comic fans are women and girls (http://www.comicsbeat.com/market-research-says-46-female-comic-fans/), and the industry as a whole has made much more effort to embrace and foster diversity recently. Women and girls have always liked this stuff, obviously, but it seems like the PTB are starting to realize that they can't ignore nearly half of their potential readership anymore if they want to survive.

Marvel's got a pretty decent track record of this lately, and even DC is starting to play catch-up: the New 52 was almost entirely aimed at that "badass dudes and hot chicks" teen-boy mindset/demographic, but the "Divergence" announcements last week make it look like they're making a real effort to change course.

MsMarvelDuckie
02-10-2015, 12:40 AM
Oddly enough, depending on the roster, I might actually be interested in this. They lost me on Spidey, but that doesn't mean I've written off some of my other faves.