PDA

View Full Version : Question about custom paint jobs

Donatello19
02-08-2015, 11:46 PM
So I plan on customizing all four of the Mystic Turtle figures once I get them, but I've never really gave any of my figures a custom paint job before, so I was wondering what the best kind of paint to use would be. Any help or tips would be appreciated :)

Powder
02-08-2015, 11:49 PM
I've been thinking about giving some of my vintage figures the same treatment, like Muckman, for example. & while I hate to admit it, I'm very tempted to buy & paint Baxterfly. The prototype showing it's full potential is just stunning, maybe for once I won't let a decent sculpt go to waste... Anyway, all I know is that acrylics are the way to go. As for brands, I dunno. I don't have any experience in this department, unfortunately. I've seen the brand name Citadel thrown around a lot, though.

Candy Kappa
02-09-2015, 01:38 AM
I use Citadel paint, it's mainly used to paint wargames miniatures.

Huzzah
02-09-2015, 03:22 AM
I use a combination of the Citadel Paints (which I have to order online) and Testors Model Masters (which I don't have to buy online). I also use some of the Vallejo, but they don't seem to get consistent coloring even from the same bottle (I think the paints tend to seperate moreso).

Powder
02-09-2015, 03:23 AM
More importantly what's the best way to make sure it stays on & is less easy to scrape off with a fingernail or whatever?

DVD
02-09-2015, 04:02 AM
I've been thinking about giving some of my vintage figures the same treatment, like Muckman, for example. & while I hate to admit it, I'm very tempted to buy & paint Baxterfly. The prototype showing it's full potential is just stunning, maybe for once I won't let a decent sculpt go to waste... Anyway, all I know is that acrylics are the way to go. As for brands, I dunno. I don't have any experience in this department, unfortunately. I've seen the brand name Citadel thrown around a lot, though.

I say go for it. Stockmanfly looks pretty nice when painted up. Just don't forget the collar or the tash like some other jerk did. Wait, that was me !! Mine is done now, as is Mystic Leo. I just haven't picked them up yet. When I do tomorrow, I'll also get advice in the paints used.

Huzzah
02-09-2015, 06:05 AM
Good paints shouldn't flake off to easily. I've messed with some of my figures alot, and don't have much scraping. Though if you're painting something straight out the box, or in general truthfully, a good pre-paint wash does wonders. It's pretty much dish soap and a toothbrush, it eliminates the waxy buildup present on new figures. I know some people use seals, but I never have. As far as joint rubs go, the only way I know to remedy that is to disassemble your figured and sand down the joints some, or just use colors similar enough to the base figure, where rub isn't too noticeable.

Discogod
02-09-2015, 09:35 AM
More importantly what's the best way to make sure it stays on & is less easy to scrape off with a fingernail or whatever?

Thoroughly scrubbing the figure in warm soapy water beforehand is a must to get rid of any residual mould release, and it's always a good idea to seal the figure with a decent varnish afterwards if it's going to be handled often (I use Humbrol matt acrylic spray).

Powder
02-09-2015, 01:10 PM
Gracias, amigos. I hope I can take a crack at this soon. I'm in need of a new hobby.

Donatello19
02-09-2015, 06:08 PM
Yeah, thanks guys! Once I get my hands on the Mystic Turtles I'm gonna try my best to customize 'em for sure :)

madyankees
02-09-2015, 06:20 PM
Thoroughly scrubbing the figure in warm soapy water beforehand is a must to get rid of any residual mould release, and it's always a good idea to seal the figure with a decent varnish afterwards if it's going to be handled often (I use Humbrol matt acrylic spray).

I second the warm water scrubbing part. I skipped this step the first time I tried painting. The paint won't stick. Like oil floating on water