PDA

View Full Version : How much do comic book writers get paid?

CyberCubed
02-10-2015, 02:02 AM
I am well aware this varies from the biggest and most popular comic book writers on the biggest books to the average guys, but what is the salary for the average comic book writer?

I remember reading that unless you're working on the biggest books, most comic book writers have a second job just to make ends meat. They can't simply afford to pay their bills on writing comics alone. Is this true?

MsMarvelDuckie
02-10-2015, 02:50 AM
Probably, IIRC when I checked into it to get into the biz years ago, they get paid something like 7-8% of the sales. Some of the more popular writers get as much as 10-12%. But it's rare, and you need a good agent and/or contract for that.

Whatswiththeheadbands?
03-11-2015, 03:57 AM
Most comic book writers/artists get paid something called page rates. This means they get paid a certain amount of money per Page, which can depend on the size of the Comic.

CyberCubed
03-11-2015, 09:55 PM
Most comic book writers/artists get paid something called page rates. This means they get paid a certain amount of money per Page, which can depend on the size of the Comic.

But don't most publishers set the same standard page sizes for each comic? Like 28 or 32 pages for most comics? Its not like the individual writer can say, "Oh I want 40 pages for this issue" just to get paid more.

snake
03-12-2015, 12:43 AM
But don't most publishers set the same standard page sizes for each comic? Like 28 or 32 pages for most comics? Its not like the individual writer can say, "Oh I want 40 pages for this issue" just to get paid more.

Big 2 comics are 21/22 pages an issue.

Andrew NDB
03-12-2015, 01:05 AM
Not enough.

Bry
03-14-2015, 01:27 PM
Big 2 comics are 21/22 pages an issue.

Many are down to 20 now. Maybe even across the board at Marvel and DC.

CyberCubed
03-14-2015, 05:41 PM
So how do all these indie publishers like IDW, Image, Dark Horse, etc. stay in business for decades when DC and Marvel hog all the sales?

For example a comic usually costs $3.99 and the profit has to be split between:

- The publisher itself
- The writer
- The artist
- The inker
- Various fees like the costs of printing, etc.

And since comics don't sell a lot anymore, how do these companies stay in business? How much profit can a publisher possibly make off of one comic, and how much does the writer/artist make?

When you think of the economics aspect it makes you wonder how the hell any of these comic book companies outside of DC/Marvel even manage to stay in business.

The Turtle Terminator
03-14-2015, 06:30 PM
Not sure about Image or Dark Horse, but I guess IDW stay in business with their large range of titles (TMNT, Transformers, Ghostbusters, GI Joe etc) with extra mini series each month or crossovers. And digital sales probably help too

MsMarvelDuckie
03-16-2015, 01:19 AM
I know the actual printing costs are actually fairly low, as paper is pretty cheap. It's the ink and things like labor, machinery, editing staff, and the rest that drives up the cost. But even that is offset by the fact that they can churn out hundreds or thousands of copies, and most will sell well enough to make at least a small profit. Nobody is ever going to get rich, of course, (except maybe the top execs at the publisher) but they can certainly make a living at it. Especially bigger names.