PDA

View Full Version : I'm caving - Is there a mold maker/ caster on these forums?

TheMasterTurtle
02-17-2015, 09:05 AM
Can anyone point me in the direction of either an individual on these forums, other forums, or company who is an accomplished mold maker/ caster?

I'm not motivated enough to perfect my mold making abilities in order to reproduce some of my work. My attempts typically don't go as planned - I know there were some individuals on here interested in my Bebop & Rocksteady sculpted heads and despite having made some casts I dont feel they are of enough quality that I'd sell them.

Particularly if there is someone on these boards that does such a thing, I have a proposition for you.

Thanks for your time everyone!

Plasticplayhouse
02-17-2015, 06:38 PM
You can hit up discogod, he lives in the UK, but I believe he's got some experience in that area. He's a talented customizer too, so he knows his stuff.

Powder
02-17-2015, 06:44 PM
I might know a guy, but he's not a member here.

tmntfannumerouno
02-17-2015, 07:03 PM
This would be awesome! I really hope you can find someone who can provide such a service. I've been meaning to try Molding/casting myself but never got around to buying the products needed.

TheMasterTurtle
02-17-2015, 08:08 PM
I had contemplated getting in touch with Disco. Didn't know that he would be interested in the project I had in mind but perhaps he would know someone who is capable to help.

Thanks guys, I've reached out and am waiting. Anyone else?

Discogod
02-18-2015, 12:03 AM
Thanks for the mention, but I'm still very much an amateur when it comes to moulding/casting...

TheMasterTurtle
02-18-2015, 07:44 AM
Thanks for the mention, but I'm still very much an amateur when it comes to moulding/casting...

That's my issue as well. I knew you did your utrom but I assumed if you had ventured outside of that you would have posted a lot more of that sort of work.

I understand all the step by step processes and concepts but applying that knowledge seems to be a grand challenge for me, hence my reaching out to anyone.

Discogod
02-18-2015, 10:02 AM
That's my issue as well. I knew you did your utrom but I assumed if you had ventured outside of that you would have posted a lot more of that sort of work.

I've done a fair bit of moulding/casting - heads, hands, feet etc. But I'm not at the point where I'd feel comfortable doing stuff for anyone else - my casts still have a lot of issues, I usually get 1 usable cast for every 4 I make...

TheMasterTurtle
02-18-2015, 10:20 AM
I've done a fair bit of moulding/casting - heads, hands, feet etc. But I'm not at the point where I'd feel comfortable doing stuff for anyone else - my casts still have a lot of issues, I usually get 1 usable cast for every 4 I make...

Your Ratio of good to bad is close to mine depending on the complexity of what I'm casting. Casting seems to be the larger problem of the 2 for me. Do you degass your silicone and resins (while in the mold)? Or use a pressure pot at all? I don't and I know this is a portion of the reason why I see the amount of problems that I do. Its hard to swallow the $99-$250 price point for a pressure pot if I still wind up sucking at it and giving it up.

mikeyatemypizza
02-18-2015, 10:42 AM
Your Ratio of good to bad is close to mine depending on the complexity of what I'm casting. Casting seems to be the larger problem of the 2 for me. Do you degass your silicone and resins (while in the mold)? Or use a pressure pot at all? I don't and I know this is a portion of the reason why I see the amount of problems that I do. Its hard to swallow the $99-$250 price point for a pressure pot if I still wind up sucking at it and giving it up.

Get the pressure pot, you can degas both your silicone before you pour it over your model and the resin when casting.
Trust me I use one and it saved me money time and agravassion.
And make sure you vent areas that are 100% going to trap air.
Ie on a head usually the ears end up thin cast or with holes in the lobes if you don't vent them.
Really the secret to a great cast is A: take time and do the mold right. B: use a pressure pot. C: use a resin that gives you a decent pot life and reasonable demold time. I use Smooth on. (Expensive but works 99%)
Really for $99 the piece of mind is worth it. And trust me once you have the vessel making castings will be fun.

TheMasterTurtle
02-18-2015, 10:47 AM
Get the pressure pot, you can degas both your silicone before you pour it over your model and the resin when casting.
Trust me I use one and it saved me money time and agravassion.
And make sure you vent areas that are 100% going to trap air.
Ie on a head usually the ears end up thin cast or with holes in the lobes if you don't vent them.
Really the secret to a great cast is A: take time and do the mold right. B: use a pressure pot. C: use a resin that gives you a decent pot life and reasonable demold time. I use Smooth on. (Expensive but works 99%)
Really for $99 the piece of mind is worth it. And trust me once you have the vessel making castings will be fun.

Yeah between going the more affordable route of cheaper materials and not getting a pot I know I have added more irritations to my life. I dont mind molding but I also dont love it. I prefer the sculpting so I havent invested the time, more importantly the money in molding. I make good, details molds with vents and everything for my undercuts. They always seem to turn out fine. Again the casting is the greater issue.

Maybe we can continue this discussion via PM if you have time but I have some specific questions about pots and materials which may or may not add to this thread.