PDA

View Full Version : Fixing the Newtralizer (question)

Raptor86
02-18-2015, 05:52 AM
Hello everybody,

I am thinking to buy a Newtralizer figure (I really like the character!), but I am bothered by his empty tail.
If I wanted to customize it filling the tail what should I use?

TheMasterTurtle
02-18-2015, 07:48 AM
Hello everybody,

I am thinking to buy a Newtralizer figure (I really like the character!), but I am bothered by his empty tail.
If I wanted to customize it filling the tail what should I use?

I havent seen the figure out of package. If memory serves the bottom on Leatherhead's tail is hollow. Should I assume Newt is the same?

Aves is a popular choice for something like this... comes in 2 parts, mix together a small amount of each, fill in your desired area, perhaps sculpt some detail, allow to cure (30-60 minutes). At this point you could probably paint but I always like allowing things to sit for a day. Sand if needed, prime & paint.

Here is a direct link but search the web. It's a available lots of places and you might find some closer to home

https://www.avesstudio.com/apoxie/apoxie-sculpt

Huzzah
02-18-2015, 08:16 AM
Yup, that's exactly what I used to fill in the tail. It's a simple fix, the hardest part was matching just the right color to look cohesive. I do like the look much better with a filled in tail.

Raptor86
02-18-2015, 08:52 AM
Thank you! But do you need to glue it on the tail?

Huzzah
02-18-2015, 11:33 AM
No, it's pliable when you fill in the tail, as it hardens it forms a bond, so there is no gluing necessary at all. Let it harden a few hours and apply the paints, and you've completed a very simple custom.

TheMasterTurtle
02-18-2015, 01:53 PM
Yup - very simple. One thing neither of us mentioned... wear gloves. This stuff won't be good for your hands

Powder
02-18-2015, 01:57 PM
In what sense? Is it just hard to get off, or can it actually cause problems for your skin or whatever? Wouldn't wearing latex gloves or something make sculpting more difficult?

TheMasterTurtle
02-18-2015, 03:01 PM
In what sense? Is it just hard to get off, or can it actually cause problems for your skin or whatever? Wouldn't wearing latex gloves or something make sculpting more difficult?

It does make it more difficult if you ask me but you get used to it, or I did. But because it self hardens, there is a chemical reaction which occurs. The first few times I used these apoxies I couldnt figure out why my hands were turning yellow. Maybe it's just me but it affected my skin but also actually makes things easier for clean up as well.

Super Sculpy is way different but not good for quick fixes like this as it can break easily.

Huzzah
02-18-2015, 03:29 PM
I don't wear gloves, just get a little hardened Apoxie on my fingers, usually it wears off, but I'm not above taking my dremel sander to my fingers if it's too severe. I prefer bare hands, it just seems to allow a bit more feeling.

Raptor86
02-19-2015, 12:56 AM
I have also read that you can put your fingers in the water while working with apoxie
to avoid that

Huzzah
02-19-2015, 02:34 AM
Well keeping your fingers wet does help some, it also helps when sculpting detail into the Apoxie. If you decided to use any sculpting tools, keep those wet as well to prevent sticking.

Raptor86
02-20-2015, 05:40 AM
Thanks you all for the info!