PDA

View Full Version : Be gentle, I'm new

Bam
02-19-2015, 09:31 AM
I was always kind of a casual fan growing up, but I recently started watching the 2012 series and reading the IDW comics. Now I'm seriously in love and thought I should join some forums and get to know some cool people and talk about turtles.

Other things about me: I work in a pet shop and I'm obsessed with Transformers. That's about as interesting as I get.

Sorry for any stupid typos. I just woke up.

Navin Johnson
02-19-2015, 10:11 AM
Hello, and Welcome

Gin Rummy
02-19-2015, 10:25 AM
Welcome to the Technodrome Forums! :)

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
02-19-2015, 10:28 AM
I'd greet you, but I'm laughing too hard at your "be gentle, I'm new" subject header.

You win a handful of Official Technodrome Mangoes of Welcome!

:mango::mango::mango::mango::mango:

Bam
02-19-2015, 10:30 AM
Thanks for all the welcomes and mangoes!

Icebot
02-19-2015, 01:50 PM
Welcome aboard! Hope you enjoy it here!

Mew
02-19-2015, 02:47 PM
Welcome!
:D

DarkFell
02-19-2015, 02:57 PM
Be gentle. I'm new. Best intro title so far.
Hello to you. Who is the laughing Transformer for your avatar?

Roland
02-19-2015, 03:00 PM
Welcome to the drome we call home Bam!

blindturtle02
02-19-2015, 03:04 PM
Hey and welcome to the drome!

pennydreadful
02-19-2015, 04:12 PM
Welcome to the forums, dudette! If you're looking to talk Turtles and find out more about parts of the franchise you weren't familiar with, you've come to the right place! :tgrin:

Bam
02-19-2015, 08:26 PM
Aww, everyone is so nice here! I already feel at home!

Who is the laughing Transformer for your avatar?

Drift in IDW's More Than Meets the Eye. I highly recommend it.

Gunpowder
02-19-2015, 08:29 PM
I like your username. And your choice of title.

That's about as interesting as I get. Sorry for any stupid typos. I just woke up.

And your honesty. :trazz: Hope you like it here.

lindz247
02-19-2015, 09:29 PM
Wow congrats you already have 6 posts-far more than I got on my first day. Anyways welcome aboard! :D

Bam
02-20-2015, 05:49 AM
I feel the love so hard <3 Thanks, everyone!

Ravenshell
02-20-2015, 06:12 AM
Howdy and welcome!

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
02-20-2015, 09:38 AM
I feel the love so hard <3 Thanks, everyone!

Based on your greeting title and what you just said, I'm having a REALLY hard time holding my tongue on this one. :ttwisted:

Bam
02-20-2015, 01:13 PM
Based on your greeting title and what you just said, I'm having a REALLY hard time holding my tongue on this one. :ttwisted:

No need to hold back tongues :wink:

I'm kind of immature

NiNi
02-20-2015, 01:17 PM
Hi there! Welcome to the 'drome~!

I'm a bit of Transformers fan myself. ^_^

I hope you have fun here!

Bam
02-20-2015, 01:21 PM
Hi there! Welcome to the 'drome~!

I'm a bit of Transformers fan myself. ^_^

I hope you have fun here!

Thanks! I feel like being a TMNT fan and a Transformers fan goes hand-in-hand. They're very different, but it seems like if you enjoy one, you'll probably enjoy the other.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
02-20-2015, 01:31 PM
Thanks! I feel like being a TMNT fan and a Transformers fan goes hand-in-hand. They're very different, but it seems like if you enjoy one, you'll probably enjoy the other.

Only if you grew up with the Transformers cartoon. Myself, my only experience was the first Michael Bay movie.

Suffice to say, I have not ventured any further into the TF fandom. :P

Bam
02-20-2015, 01:42 PM
Only if you grew up with the Transformers cartoon. Myself, my only experience was the first Michael Bay movie.

Suffice to say, I have not ventured any further into the TF fandom. :P

Oh, man, you can't judge it on the Bay films! They're horrible! But if you do ever decided to get your robot on, I'd suggest starting at the newer Prime series. It's a good intro for new fans. But the IDW comics are the best part of the fandom, in my opinion. More Than Meets The Eye is nothing short of amazing.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
02-20-2015, 01:51 PM
Oh, man, you can't judge it on the Bay films! They're horrible! But if you do ever decided to get your robot on, I'd suggest starting at the newer Prime series. It's a good intro for new fans. But the IDW comics are the best part of the fandom, in my opinion. More Than Meets The Eye is nothing short of amazing.

No, I know I can't judge based on Bay; that's what I was trying to say. :tlol:

Are the IDW comics self-contained, or would I have to be familiar with the 80's cartoon?

Bam
02-20-2015, 02:03 PM
No, I know I can't judge based on Bay; that's what I was trying to say. :tlol:

Are the IDW comics self-contained, or would I have to be familiar with the 80's cartoon?

Ha, I could understand why Bay would scare people away though. Those movies are just painful to watch.

You wouldn't, but there's kind of a struggle when you start out at just identifying everyone. There are a lot of characters and so many of them look the same when you're first starting out. The hardest part with IDW is knowing where to start. I say just start at MTMTE and RID, which are the two current on-goings. The only required reading before that, imo, is Last Stand of the Wreckers and maybe Chaos Theory. As long as you have a vague idea of what Transformers is about, you'll be find. The current on-goings take place after the war and most of the main cast of MTMTE are b-list characters, so it's a pretty fresh intro for new fans.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
02-20-2015, 02:09 PM
Ha, I could understand why Bay would scare people away though. Those movies are just painful to watch.

Now that 2k14 TMNT is released, I understand and sympathize with you TF fans. The fans may see some parts of the movie that aren't so bad, but having that as the face of the franchise... :tdead:

Bam
02-20-2015, 02:19 PM
Now that 2k14 TMNT is released, I understand and sympathize with you TF fans. The fans may see some parts of the movie that aren't so bad, but having that as the face of the franchise... :tdead:

Yeah, it's a pain, it really is. And all we ever wanted was for Bay to leave, now rumor has it we're getting Jonathan Liebesman. Gah! It's like there's no escape!

MsMarvelDuckie
02-20-2015, 11:29 PM
Hey, welcome, and I LOVE the thread-header. Also- a turtle-fan AND you work in a pet shop? I'm so jealous right now. Been thinking of getting one myself, actually. and I too, grew up loving both TMT and Transformers. You're in good company here.

Davin
02-20-2015, 11:35 PM
Welcome to the Drome. :tsmile:

Bam
02-21-2015, 06:37 AM
Hey, welcome, and I LOVE the thread-header. Also- a turtle-fan AND you work in a pet shop? I'm so jealous right now. Been thinking of getting one myself, actually. and I too, grew up loving both TMT and Transformers. You're in good company here.

We don't have turtles at our store. We focus mainly on supplies, but we do have beta fish, hermit crabs, and cats from a local shelter. Last year my boss tried to talk corporate into letting us have turtles, but they wouldn't budge. :(

pennydreadful
02-21-2015, 05:08 PM
That's so awesome that you help to re-home shelter cats -- I wish more pet stores did that! You do good work, seriously - it must be really fulfilling knowing that you're doing something meaningful, helping to give homeless cats a second chance at a loving forever home. :)

... I'm kind of a crazy cat person. :lol:

Bam
02-21-2015, 06:02 PM
That's so awesome that you help to re-home shelter cats -- I wish more pet stores did that! You do good work, seriously - it must be really fulfilling knowing that you're doing something meaningful, helping to give homeless cats a second chance at a loving forever home. :)

... I'm kind of a crazy cat person. :lol:

It does feel really nice! Makes up for having to clean all the litter boxes, lol. I more of a dog person, but I like cats. But my SO is allergic, so it will probably just be dogs and whatever little creatures I end up bringing home. I already have 3 hermit crabs and I want a beta. It's probably a good thing we don't carry many pets. I just want to take them all home.

raphmike
02-21-2015, 09:06 PM
hello welcome here and enjoy post it :)

MsMarvelDuckie
02-22-2015, 01:53 AM
It does feel really nice! Makes up for having to clean all the litter boxes, lol. I more of a dog person, but I like cats. But my SO is allergic, so it will probably just be dogs and whatever little creatures I end up bringing home. I already have 3 hermit crabs and I want a beta. It's probably a good thing we don't carry many pets. I just want to take them all home.

Bettas are really easy to care for, just remember not to put more than one in a tank (unless they're female). Even the females tend to get attacked by the males. I should know- I raised and (attempted to) bred them for several years growing up. Had over a dozen males (in different tanks- it got pretty crowded in my room, LOL), and about five or six females at any given time. Fortunately, you CAN keep several females together, but put even ONE male in with them, and the girls will never get any peace, LOL! Also, what kind would you like to get? Double-tails are really beautiful, and I'm fond of the Cambodian and Butterfly color types. I once found a pure black double-tail, and I wish I'd snapped him up when I had the chance- he'd have made for great breeding stock. *sigh* Now I'm missing my fish-raising days.

Mew
02-22-2015, 07:54 AM
I like kittys, hence the name!

Bam
02-22-2015, 07:56 AM
Bettas are really easy to care for, just remember not to put more than one in a tank (unless they're female). Even the females tend to get attacked by the males. I should know- I raised and (attempted to) bred them for several years growing up. Had over a dozen males (in different tanks- it got pretty crowded in my room, LOL), and about five or six females at any given time. Fortunately, you CAN keep several females together, but put even ONE male in with them, and the girls will never get any peace, LOL! Also, what kind would you like to get? Double-tails are really beautiful, and I'm fond of the Cambodian and Butterfly color types. I once found a pure black double-tail, and I wish I'd snapped him up when I had the chance- he'd have made for great breeding stock. *sigh* Now I'm missing my fish-raising days.

I just realized I've been leaving a 't' out of betta this whole time. Feel like an idiot, lol.
Yeah, I'm going to have to wait until I'm able to get one because I have no shelf room in my apartment right now. I'm probably going to stick to just one. We only have couple different kinds at our store, but the Halfmoons are my favorite out of what we have. There's one there right now and he's beautiful. Easily the prettiest one we've ever had. He looks like a little rainbow.
So cool that you raised them! I just hate seeing them at the store. We have to keep them in those little cups and I feel bad for them.

Amaranthus
02-22-2015, 07:58 AM

They're not easy to take care of though, no matter what the people from the pet-shop say.

Bam
02-22-2015, 07:59 AM
I like kittys, hence the name!

Kitties are fun creatures! I was always a cat lover growing up and we had tons of them. But then I got my first dog and realized I was more of a dog person.

They're not easy to take care of though, no matter what the people from the pet-shop say.

I always recommend doing tons of research before owning any pet. The majority of pets are much higher maintenance than people expect.

Slade
02-22-2015, 10:57 AM
Welcome smiling robot.

Mzx10484
02-22-2015, 02:18 PM
hEY tHERE; wELCOME & gREEtingS frOm GermanY !

MsMarvelDuckie
02-23-2015, 01:35 AM
I just realized I've been leaving a 't' out of betta this whole time. Feel like an idiot, lol.
Yeah, I'm going to have to wait until I'm able to get one because I have no shelf room in my apartment right now. I'm probably going to stick to just one. We only have couple different kinds at our store, but the Halfmoons are my favorite out of what we have. There's one there right now and he's beautiful. Easily the prettiest one we've ever had. He looks like a little rainbow.
So cool that you raised them! I just hate seeing them at the store. We have to keep them in those little cups and I feel bad for them.

Well, no need to feel TOO bad for the little guys. Believe it or not, they can survive in the wild (in Thailand where they are native- though the wild ones are hardly as pretty) in little more than a puddle of water- for weeks! They are labyrinth fishes, which means they have a supplemental organ that they can use to take oxygen directly from the air as well as their gills. This is why you may see them go to the surface periodically and gulp. It means that even if the water doesn't get changed very often or the bowl or tank is very small and doesn't have an aerator, they don't suffocate from stagnation like most fish would.

This was actually one of the reasons I chose them over most other fish when I was raising them- I also had guppies, mollies, cichlids, and swordtails, and a few various tetras and gouramis. (Incidentally, the gouramis are in the same family as the bettas, so they are labyrinth fish, too!) The cichlids were the easiest to breed- they're like rabbits, and great parents, too! The guppies and mollies, of course, were also easy, but it was a hassle trying to keep the babies from swimming back up through the hole in the breeder trap and being eaten by the mamas. Fish can be a real pain sometimes, LOL.

Oh, I know. I DID have one for a short time as a kid, but it eventually got released with some other turtles, mostly because we didn't have the space for another large tank. I know- not a good thing to do, but.... I still regret that mistake. Part of the reason I'd like to get one is that after keeping so many fish for so long, I feel like the turtle would actually be a step UP from the work of maintaining a fish-tank with all the cleaning and aerating, and fish meds and pH and..... Bettas were the ones that took up the most space, but that was due to the individual jars for all the boys. But it gets kind of crazy when you have two 10-gal and one 45-gal tank, plus a dozen or more Betta bowls, and all the equipment, food, and other accessories for them.

And since I already have a tank that's just sitting around gathering dust.... I just don't have anything living to put in it- YET. Hubby's been lobbying for a tarantula, but I argued that a turtle could defend itself from the cat easier if she got into the tank. Our cat when I was little did that once with the big fish tank- she got on top of the glass lid and it broke under her weight- she fell in. She never did THAT again, though! But I can only imagine what our kitty now would do if she got hold of a tarantula, LOL. At least the turtle could hide in its shell and she'd eventually get bored and leave it alone. One more reason for something bigger and harder to hurt.....

Kitties are fun creatures! I was always a cat lover growing up and we had tons of them. But then I got my first dog and realized I was more of a dog person.

I always recommend doing tons of research before owning any pet. The majority of pets are much higher maintenance than people expect.

Yup, but cats really are fairly low maintenance, aside from litter box issues. And easy to keep indoors away from traffic if you live in an apartment in a city. Mine is only a pain when it's time for her "num-nums" in the evening. She gets fussy if she doesn't get her treat on time!

I've had dogs, too, of course, but cats have always been my real love in terms of pets. They are so sweet to cuddle with, especially when they curl up by your head at night and purr. Most relaxing sound in the world....

D Piddy 1982
02-24-2015, 05:00 PM
Great introduction thread you got going here! TMNT, TF & dogs! Duuude!

Who's your favourite TF? I'm an original Starscream can myself, got a couple of Screamer figs. Shame how he was portrayed in the movie though, a lost opportunity of a great character...

Bam
02-26-2015, 10:14 AM
I've been out of town with work for the last few days. It was awful and the hotel didn't have internet. So glad to be back home!

Great introduction thread you got going here! TMNT, TF & dogs! Duuude!

Who's your favourite TF? I'm an original Starscream can myself, got a couple of Screamer figs. Shame how he was portrayed in the movie though, a lost opportunity of a great character...

I try to keep it real.

My favorite is Perceptor. His lack of popularity and screen-time saves him from being horribly portrayed in a live-action Bay movie. Of course, I used to think the same thing about my second favorite character, Drift, so you never know. Starscream is one of my favorites too and I hated what they did with him in the movies.

ImmaAxolotl
02-26-2015, 05:42 PM
Hi, there! I'm new, too! :)

...That's it. That's all I have to say.

Bam
02-26-2015, 08:35 PM
Hi, there! I'm new, too! :)

...That's it. That's all I have to say.

Nice to meet you, Mudkip!

BubblyShell22
02-27-2015, 09:37 AM
Hey, Emeril, didn't know you were a TMNT fan! LOL.

Who's your favorite Turtle?

Bam
02-27-2015, 10:05 AM
Hey, Emeril, didn't know you were a TMNT fan! LOL.

Who's your favorite Turtle?

Oh, you!

Also, that made me look up a video of Emeril making turtle soup. I couldn't find one, but I found this instead:

j1KSaUEu_T4

My favorite Turtle is Donatello. Remember those neat-o turtle cereal bowls? I only had one (most of my friends had multiple ones) and it was Donnie. My mom donated it to Goodwill without telling me. I'm still pretty bummed about it.

Mew
02-27-2015, 10:24 AM
Oh, you!

Also, that made me look up a video of Emeril making turtle soup. I couldn't find one, but I found this instead:

j1KSaUEu_T4

My favorite Turtle is Donatello. Remember those neat-o turtle cereal bowls? I only had one (most of my friends had multiple ones) and it was Donnie. My mom donated it to Goodwill without telling me. I'm still pretty bummed about it.
That vid! Hehe!!
:mango: