PDA

View Full Version : What will it take for another comic book styled movie to happen?

LeotheLateBloomer
03-04-2015, 06:11 AM
Is there any hope for a new TMNT movie set in a dark and gritty tone like the original comics like the first film did? What do you guys think it will take and who do you think can respect the source material? If the public can take a man who dresses up like a bat seriously even after the Silver Age, why can't the turtles recieve the same treatment?

neatoman
03-04-2015, 07:06 AM
Sounds like it would be a rather niche movie. Maybe one day Nickelodeon will allow something like the DC animated movies.

Creativemind
03-04-2015, 09:53 AM
I wouldn't exactly say that the first movie was as gritty as the Mirage comics. More like a cross between them and the Fred Wolf series. I think it will be atleast ten years before we see that kind of reboot though.

TigerClaw
03-04-2015, 10:49 AM
Is there any hope for a new TMNT movie set in a dark and gritty tone like the original comics like the first film did? What do you guys think it will take and who do you think can respect the source material? If the public can take a man who dresses up like a bat seriously even after the Silver Age, why can't the turtles recieve the same treatment?
Not going to happen, As long as Nickelodeon owns the IP, They will make it appeal to kids.

Xav
03-04-2015, 03:52 PM
Wait the first film didn't appeal to kids?

Eurydemus
03-05-2015, 07:25 PM
It'll probably take years - if not at least a decade or more - before the Platinum Dunes TMNT fades from public consciousness (since there are supposed to be three movies). This is likely how long we'll have to wait for a reboot. I just don't see there being two film versions of the turtles existing side-by-side or even one after another.

Jephael
03-08-2015, 09:06 PM

It did of course, but then all the uptight parents got butt-hurt about the language and violence.

sdp
03-08-2015, 11:13 PM
All it takes is a reboot, next time they reboot the turtles they can market the movie as "like the original comics" while this incarnation can be based on the OT a little more, so yeah maybe in ten years after they stop making sequels to the current movie and enough time has passed to reboot the film franchise.

neatoman
03-09-2015, 04:47 AM
It did of course, but then all the uptight parents got butt-hurt about the language and violence.

Yeah I would pretty much say the butthurt parents made the movie look way darker than it actually was.

Turtle_power_eh?
03-09-2015, 01:44 PM

I don't ever see it happening. So long as nickelodeon holds the property, the main goal will be to get as many kids packed into the theater as possible.

The only way it happens is on an off chance Nick allowed an animation studio to adapt Mirage volume one into a home release(s) or a motion comic series...this would be as close as we would get to seeing a true to the original source adaptation.

I strongly believe that the best TMNT movie will always be the original, it had a great mix of original comics and cartoon...appealed to both kids and adults.

massakre
03-09-2015, 01:48 PM
Sounds like it would be a rather niche movie. Maybe one day Nickelodeon will allow something like the DC animated movies.

That'd be a nice take on it imo

Shark_Blade
03-09-2015, 02:27 PM
Imagine if they go the Sin City movie route, that'll be epic.

Candy Kappa
03-09-2015, 02:28 PM
Imagine if they go the Sin City movie route, that'll be epic.

As an animated 30-40 minute movie, sure.

turtlefanforever
03-09-2015, 07:45 PM
in my honest opinion... a lot.

Tora
03-29-2015, 10:39 PM
I would love to see a dark anime style TMNT based on the B&W Comic but in color.

Andrew NDB
03-30-2015, 01:02 PM
Is there any hope for a new TMNT movie set in a dark and gritty tone like the original comics like the first film did?

Not in the foreseeable future, no. And I'd hardly accuse Danny: The Movie of having a "dark and gritty tone" or being "like the original comics"... it only appears as such when in comparison to the other "films."

What do you guys think it will take

Well, the answer is a delicate one. TMNT Part 6: Electric Fred Wolf Bugaloo or whatever it's called will need to bomb... but not bomb so badly that the franchise as a movie series becomes indefinitely radioactive.

Then it needs to sit on the shelf for another 10 years before anything resembling a serious take can be approached. Though at this time Viacom/Nickelodeon seemingly have no interest at all in the TMNT in any capacity beyond various reimaginings of the Fred Wolf cartoon... so either a major shakeup in staff or a major shakeup in mentality (both unlikely) would be necessary to take place. Or some kind of total liquidation of the TMNT rights to a third party (highly unlikely, barring TMNT Part 6: Electric Fred Wolf Bugaloo bombing super hard and the cartoon and toy line's complete failure/exhaustion... and even then, if things failed that badly financiers would be unlikely to invest in future projects).

and who do you think can respect the source material?

Who knows, really. But it would take someone with enough cred in proven films to where that person wouldn't just be a pushover for the studio or toy companies or a puppet director (Liebesman on TMNT, Hemingway on Red Tails, etc.)... and it would need to be someone who emphatically understands and respects the Mirage source material.

A straight out adaptation would not be necessary, but a director with a vision that fundamentally wants to bring the essence of Mirage TMNT to the big screen... that would work. The thing is, the odds are pretty low Paramount would hire such a guy.

The thing with TMNT now -- and people seem to forget this -- is that there is no longer a human being at the heart of the intellectual rights any longer. There's not. They both cashed their chips and said "peace!" You know, the guys that with the ability to shoot down every horrible movie pitch or licensing deal thrown their way, or could actively mold or shape things? Yeah, there's nobody anymore. What's left is a corporate entity approaching every aspect of TMNT from the cold lens of a business perspective, period. In the days of Kevin and Peter holding the rights, there was always the hope of, "Well, maybe someday, somehow someone who 'gets' TMNT with a bold vision would get the right financiers aboard and approach Kevin and Peter"... but now that person would just be walking into a room with board executives with their accountants and flow charts, solely interested in recreating the "Turtlemania" of the Fred Wolf days.

If the public can take a man who dresses up like a bat seriously even after the Silver Age, why can't the turtles recieve the same treatment?

Because of cowabunga and pizza and Bebop or any one of a slew of things that the new rights holders of TMNT are now actively not letting pop culture forget about.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
03-30-2015, 01:12 PM
What would it take?

An act of God.

Or, potentially, for the IDW comics to continue for years and become as well known as the Nick cartoon. Then in a decade or so, for any new potential take on the franchise to look to IDW first and foremost for inspiration and adaptation.

Honestly, Mirage is just too obscure and "indie." IDW does a better job of presenting a semi-serious but accessible take on the TMNT, and is, I believe, the best possible face for TMNT. Unfortunately, it is a massive third wheel to the powerhouses of publicity, the Platinum Dunes movies and the Nickelodeon cartoon.

Andrew NDB
03-30-2015, 01:17 PM
Honestly, Mirage is just too obscure and "indie."

People said that about Hellboy, Sin City, and The Crow. It just takes giving the material an honest shake and not worrying about the kiddy crap.

But yes, basically. An act of god is what it would take at this point.

NYShell
03-30-2015, 11:29 PM
People said that about Hellboy, Sin City, and The Crow. It just takes giving the material an honest shake and not worrying about the kiddy crap.

But yes, basically. An act of god is what it would take at this point.

I kind of agree.

Cryomancer
03-31-2015, 02:28 AM
Maybe an economist. If you look at the numbers, the first movie made the second most, losing only to the most recent film. A lot of that is probably down to changes in ticket prices and international markets, I'd imagine. I wonder if anyone has a way to adjust for that... Anyway, those two are the high earners. Now take a look at their production budgets, and realize they are way, way different than the final money made numbers. The first movie cost like 13.5 million to make and made 202 million. Latest cost 125 million and made 485 (assuming these quickly googled numbers are correct enough anyway). Nearly 10 times the budget did not get them 10 times the profit.

Obviously production too has changed, so this isn't the greatest argument, but it's one way of looking at it, I guess. The budget and quality of the original film are both most likely down to it being an independent production versus the new one being a big name "important" studio where films are made by committee. I do wonder if at-the-time puppetry tech cost anything at all comparable to modern day CG effects, probably not I suppose.

Bry
03-31-2015, 08:19 AM
You've got to consider inflation too. In 2014 dollars, the 1990 movie's budget would've been $24.45m and the worldwide box office would've been about $366m. And a much higher percentage of that was domestic gross, which I believe the studio sees more direct profit from than the foreign box office. The exact opposite is true of the BayTurtles movie. In fact, the the 1990 movie made about 67% of its box office dollars in North America vs. 33% foreign while BayTurtles made approx 39.5% domestic vs. 60.5% foreign.

Granted, yes, the business side has changed a lot since then too - I'm sure there were a lot more product placement dollars going into BayTurtles, but it also must have had a much higher marketing budget. It's hard to be sure which one was more profitable without way more information than I have, but considering the sheer amount of box office dollars made on the 1990 movie against its budget, a lot of people would still see that as a bigger "success".

AquaParade
03-31-2015, 08:39 AM
Andrew, I'm not sure why you deflect the Steve Baron film as a proper Mirage-based tmnt movie. It's definitely got the soul, characters, and tone of those first few tmnt comics.

The action, comedy, and even pieces of the Mirage storyline are all there. They respect the material by starting off with a tale of revenge involving Saki and Yoshi, commit to the family aspect, and cap it all off with a classic Shredder rooftop battle. The characters are wonderfully done and true to their established comic roots. They didn't go making Raphael sarcastic, but rude - He's angry and isolated. April and Casey even have some of their best incarnations here.

TMNT comics are not all " Return to New York". The classic Mirage TMNT formula is all about family, action-driven stories that aren't afraid to be a little goofy.This movie is as Mirage as it gets, nitpicks aside.

Bry
03-31-2015, 09:30 AM
The action, comedy, and even pieces of the Mirage storyline are all there. They respect the material by starting off with a tale of revenge involving Saki and Yoshi, commit to the family aspect, and cap it all off with a classic Shredder rooftop battle. The characters are wonderfully done and true to their established comic roots. They didn't go making Raphael sarcastic, but rude - He's angry and isolated. April and Casey even have some of their best incarnations here.

TMNT comics are not all " Return to New York". The classic Mirage TMNT formula is all about family, actoon-driven stories that aren't afraid to be a little goofy.This movie is as Mirage as it gets, nitpicks aside.

I definitely think it's the best balance we've seen yet, and possibly ever will. And I'd sure as hell love to see another Mirage-based TMNT movie, but I don't think it's likely unless the BayTurtles series flames out spectacularly and they're forced to go in the opposite direction next time. (Another reason not to pay to see it, gang!)

But: the 1990 movie! Yeah, there was plenty of humour/goofiness in many of the Mirage comics, and they managed to combine that fun kind of feel with the crux of the "serious" story arc and include some small aspects of the '87 cartoon (that they basically needed to at that point, for better or worse) into a cohesive whole that works as a good story. As far as adaptations go, I think it's one of the better ones: it's got a ton of beats/scenes right out of the Mirage comics and tells a rather well-done compressed version of the early Shredder/Foot stories. Danny's not my favourite part of it, but he's basically the personification of the "gangs vs. families" message, so I think he worked fine for what he is.

I'm not saying it's "perfect," nothing really is, but looking back, it's a miracle it turned out as well as it did. I've managed to take off the fan blinders and recognize the faults in a lot of TMNT stuff I loved as a kid, but the 1990 movie absolutely holds up.

Andrew NDB
03-31-2015, 01:11 PM
Andrew, I'm not sure why you deflect the Steve Baron film as a proper Mirage-based tmnt movie. It's definitely got the soul, characters, and tone of those first few tmnt comics.

Not at all. With respect to certain moments in certain scenes, the Turtles in the movie are like caricatures of themselves, then filtered through a light Fred Wolf lens. Mikey isn't a pizza monster/party dude like in the movie, he's a regular guy with a creative and humanistic side. Donatello isn't inherently geeky, and doesn't spin around on the floor on his shell with his bo. Leonardo does not stop and defy the laws of physics and chop pizza in the air. Shredder is not Darth Shredder, and does not have or need a halfway house for troubled kids.

Probably the only character that feels mostly "right" is Casey Jones.

The action, comedy, and even pieces of the Mirage storyline are all there. They respect the material by starting off with a tale of revenge involving Saki and Yoshi, commit to the family aspect, and cap it all off with a classic Shredder rooftop battle.

Which had elements of a fight, but it was just a few seconds of Whack-A-Mole on the Turtles followed by Splinter -- and cheaply -- robbing the Turtles of the only victory they'd have even had in the whole movie.

The characters are wonderfully done and true to their established comic roots. They didn't go making Raphael sarcastic, but rude - He's angry and isolated. April and Casey even have some of their best incarnations here.

Casey, anyway. And I guess Raphael felt about like Raphael, too, to be fair. Strip away the unnecessary reporter nonsense and April feels like April, as well.

TMNT comics are not all " Return to New York".

No sh*t. But they're also not all goofy slapstick and sight gags and pizza and cowabunga either.

This movie is as Mirage as it gets, nitpicks aside.

Well, it's probably as Mirage as we're ever going to get. I'm just saying it's not all that Mirage... certainly not as seems to be the popularized fan consensus.

pannoni1
03-31-2015, 07:50 PM
The idea for the first movie was contrived before the OT even began. They just threw a few bones in order to make it understandable and acknowledged. Unfortunately, nobody would view TMNT as an art house brand, since once such a movie becomes widely accepted (think Best Exotic Marigold Hotel), everything afterwards gets created in the most cost effective way unless if some heavy criticism endures to the point that such a release isn't profitable. It's a shame since we have plenty of source material (IDW, Archie, Image, later Mirage) to create such a movie. And IDW is just as widely known as Mirage was when the first movie was released.

Wolfie65
04-24-2015, 09:13 AM
Mainstream Hollywood doesn't do 'dark & gritty' very well - if at all - and if it can't be turned into a cop show, zombie show, hospital show, sitcom or soap, they seldom know what to do with it, whatever 'it' may be. The giant mega-exploding car chases with humongonormous robots from the edge of the abyss of outer space (as seen in many, many, many recent movies) would be the closest they'll get to the original comic book turtles. Best chance of seeing Eastman/Laird's b&w 1980's strips come to life on the screen would be if ViaMegaCorpDotComIncWorldWide lose their financial marbles and sell the rights to either a small, independent US studio, or a European or Asian one. They do dark & gritty all the time , and pretty well.

Joey Kamikaze
04-29-2015, 05:50 AM
Maybe an economist. If you look at the numbers, the first movie made the second most, losing only to the most recent film. A lot of that is probably down to changes in ticket prices and international markets, I'd imagine. I wonder if anyone has a way to adjust for that... Anyway, those two are the high earners. Now take a look at their production budgets, and realize they are way, way different than the final money made numbers. The first movie cost like 13.5 million to make and made 202 million. Latest cost 125 million and made 485 (assuming these quickly googled numbers are correct enough anyway). Nearly 10 times the budget did not get them 10 times the profit.

To add to this, adjusting for inflation the original movie actually earned more domestically. In modern dollars the first movie earned about $234.5 million in the US alone and around $350 million total worldwide, on an adjusted budget of about $23.4 million. And that's just converting 1990 dollars to 2015 dollars, not accounting for the extra cost of 3D, etc.

Cryomancer
04-29-2015, 07:06 AM
Another thing that's really annoying is that the first 4 or 7 (or more) of issues of Mirage make for a pretty simple and decent trilogy (or more). First movie is first issue, cover all the backstory and the origin and the turtles going out for the first time and fighting and killing the Shredder. Second movie is April and Stockman. Third one picks up right after that, going into Splinter going missing and the TCRI building. They could stop it there for a trilogy or do a 4th one with the Triceraton/Fugitoid stuff.

The biggest "film" problems I see there is you can end up with Splinter going missing starting in one movie and then being resolved in another, and the fact that Triceratons start during TCRI and then come back and resolve both those points afterwards. Shuffle it around or just go out on a limb and guess anyone watching a third turtles movie will also watch a fourth one and trust the audience to not be so dumb that they can't handle that, I suppose. I guess the 4th movie would also end up being the most effects-heavy which is probably not super great monetary business either so maybe just a trilogy with the Triceraton arc skipped might work best for that.

If it was somehow cost effective and succesful, you could follow this up with something based on the time travel issue 8, and then Shredder's return and so on.

Joey Kamikaze
04-29-2015, 11:00 PM
I've said this before, but my ideal TMNT movie reboot starts with a Rat King vs Baxter story that introduces April, then does Shredder and TCRI in sequels.

Huzzah
05-05-2015, 08:25 PM
To many people seem to think that the Mirage series was all grim dark with a more realistic take. They often forget that Mirage was filled to the brim with aliens (Utroms and Triceratons mostly, prior to Volume 4), space travel, time travel and robots. Not to mention the wacky guest era. Apart from the first few issues and the Return to New York volumes, there were more outlandish and fantastical elements than realistic.

Frankly, the only comic verses that would be primed for adaption at this point would be the IDW series, which is wholly possible in ybe future. While not direct adaptions, I could see elements of it being mined.

Lou 500
06-09-2015, 04:53 PM

It did, they just got away with more in the late '80s - early '90s. Goonies is another good example. And The Witches. *shudders*

LeotheLateBloomer
09-11-2015, 03:08 PM
This is just a thought, but since Kevin Smith is heavily into comic books, directed a few movies, and even voiced in TMNT (2007), would you think he'd be a good choice to direct a TMNT movie?

TurtleTitan97
09-11-2015, 03:08 PM
Not really, no.

Cure
09-11-2015, 05:12 PM
Not really, no.

Agreed. Not a good fit at all.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-11-2015, 07:38 PM
Agreed. Not a good fit at all.

Aw hell no.

chrisdude
09-13-2015, 06:37 AM
If we do get something based on the comics, it'll probably be based on IDW. Most of these comic book movies are based on recent comics, not original comics. People praise the Dark Knight trilogy for adhering to "source material," but it really draws from the 80's and 90's, while Batman is 75 years old. Reinterpretations of reinterpretations. Marvel Studios does the same thing, drawing mainly from comics of the last 15 years. And, frankly, the original comic didn't blow up the world like the cartoon, and it's not what people remember, anyway.

Plus, IDW has done a good job of blending elements from all eras. It'd be a nice middle ground.

I would have agreed with others that the property would probably have to change hands before they try making a movie that adults can take seriously, but Nickelodeon did just let them go PG-13. It's a step. Let's see what happens.

AquaParade
09-13-2015, 07:34 AM
This is just a thought, but since Kevin Smith is heavily into comic books, directed a few movies, and even voiced in TMNT (2007), would you think he'd be a good choice to direct a TMNT movie?

Oh, for sure.

Kevin Smith is passionate as hell about comics. Listening to his podcasts has given me a greater appreciation for him.
I doubt he would ever be interested unless he was approached by the studio and given a fairly long leash.

LeotheLateBloomer
09-13-2015, 08:27 AM
I haven't really watched a lot of his movies besides Clerks but I heard different opinions of his recent movies such as Red State and Tusk.

Coola Yagami
10-25-2015, 01:06 PM

Get rid of Platinum Dunes and Micheal Bay? Call this attempted trilogy a failure, kill the stupid sequel and reboot?

miru
01-13-2016, 03:06 PM
Not in theaters. There seems to be demand for a straight-to-video approach, however. Or we could go close but no cigar like the first film was, but that depends on director competence.

MrTrikey
01-13-2016, 06:20 PM
Not in theaters. There seems to be demand for a straight-to-video approach, however. Or we could go close but no cigar like the first film was, but that depends on director competence.

I've been saying that the IDW Turtles could make for a decent DTV movie for a while, but just never thought the interest was there for Viacom and Nick. The upcoming P* game is changing my mind, though. If those turtles get their own VAs, then perhaps it's a sign that maybe they'll consider making more stuff with them in it...

Bry
01-13-2016, 07:32 PM
I've been saying that the IDW Turtles could make for a decent DTV movie for a while, but just never thought the interest was there for Viacom and Nick. The upcoming P* game is changing my mind, though. If those turtles get their own VAs, then perhaps it's a sign that maybe they'll consider making more stuff with them in it...

As excited as I am for a (hopefully) good IDW game, I might actually be mostly interested to see what the voices sound like for those versions of the characters. I'd be all about more multimedia versions of the IDW 'verse.

MsMarvelDuckie
01-13-2016, 10:39 PM
Mikey isn't a pizza monster/party dude like in the movie, he's a regular guy with a creative and humanistic side. Donatello isn't inherently geeky, and doesn't spin around on the floor on his shell with his bo. Leonardo does not stop and defy the laws of physics and chop pizza in the air.

Um, no, they really weren't like that. Mikey was NOT a pizza monster- it was mentioned TWICE, when he ordered their dinner and when April invited them to her apartment. That's it. And when was he a party dude? He did a few impressions for April when they went to her place, but that was all. Also, it was Mikey who spun on the floor, not Donnie. He made a few jokes, but he was pretty clever about it, too. The only really "goofy" moments were at the beginning of the apartment fight, and when the floor fell into the shop.

d_osborn
01-14-2016, 11:17 PM
I'm actually surprised there hasn't been a DTV movie based more heavily on the comics, a'la DC. It seems with Nick's strong animation ties, it would be a no-brainer.

slingtheory
01-17-2016, 05:58 PM
I'm hoping that making a game based in idw's universe is a sign Viacom is recognizing there's money to be made in tmnt by targeting the older fanbase. not just in a hey remember this thing you liked when you were a kid kind of way but in a some of us might appreciate more mature stories kind of way

Masterpiece
01-29-2016, 03:22 AM
To many people seem to think that the Mirage series was all grim dark with a more realistic take. They often forget that Mirage was filled to the brim with aliens (Utroms and Triceratons mostly, prior to Volume 4), space travel, time travel and robots. Not to mention the wacky guest era. Apart from the first few issues and the Return to New York volumes, there were more outlandish and fantastical elements than realistic.

Frankly, the only comic verses that would be primed for adaption at this point would be the IDW series, which is wholly possible in ybe future. While not direct adaptions, I could see elements of it being mined.

Totally agree regarding Mirage Comics.
Just because it has blood and death, doesn't mean it's mature.
It's how the story handles that kind of content that shows how good the story is.

And the Original Movie handled the themes of violence, responsibility, family and coming-of-age much more better than the Mirage Comics ever did.

Masterpiece
01-29-2016, 03:42 AM
Not at all. With respect to certain moments in certain scenes, the Turtles in the movie are like caricatures of themselves, then filtered through a light Fred Wolf lens. Mikey isn't a pizza monster/party dude like in the movie, he's a regular guy with a creative and humanistic side. Donatello isn't inherently geeky, and doesn't spin around on the floor on his shell with his bo. Leonardo does not stop and defy the laws of physics and chop pizza in the air. Shredder is not Darth Shredder, and does not have or need a halfway house for troubled kids.

Probably the only character that feels mostly "right" is Casey Jones.

Which had elements of a fight, but it was just a few seconds of Whack-A-Mole on the Turtles followed by Splinter -- and cheaply -- robbing the Turtles of the only victory they'd have even had in the whole movie.

Casey, anyway. And I guess Raphael felt about like Raphael, too, to be fair. Strip away the unnecessary reporter nonsense and April feels like April, as well.

No sh*t. But they're also not all goofy slapstick and sight gags and pizza and cowabunga either.

Well, it's probably as Mirage as we're ever going to get. I'm just saying it's not all that Mirage... certainly not as seems to be the popularized fan consensus.

Original Incarnation does NOT mean Best Incarnation.

Just because you follow Mirage word-by-word does not mean you have the best adaptation.

Mikey wasn't fawning over pizza throughout the whole movie. He broke down along with his other brothers when Splinter went missing. He was driven to rage and tears over their defeat at the apartment.

Donatello was portrayed in the movie as down-to-earth and contemplative. That was the best version of him, in my opinion.

Leo was actually portrayed as a flawed young leader, who prefers to skip on his responsibilities.
Which makes sense because he's still just a 15-year-old child.

Shredder wasn't a rip-off of Darth Vader. He was a far superior villain than Darth Vader could ever hope to be.
And why was he written as being in charge of some troubled kids (his ranks consisted of experienced ninjas AND misguided teens)?
That was to provide a clever contrast to the Turtles and Splinter.
Both sides are like families, but the true good family are the Turtles and Splinter.
And Shredder being able to manipulate misguided young minds to do his bidding makes him all the more threatening.

Regarding Casey Jones, the Original Movie's take on him far surpasses the Mirage version.

The reason why the Turtles lose a lot is because they are portrayed as actual, fallible characters - who would develop into the ninja badasses we know and love.

Had Moral Guardians not ruined TMNT 2 and 3, we could have gotten to see their development as ninjas.

The reason why April was written as a reporter was so that she could get close to the action and help the Turtles, either by giving them intel or giving them backup in the fights.

The Original Movie gives the Turtles a fun side because they're teenagers - not just mutant turtle ninjas. We need them to act believable.

Having them act all uber-violent and apathetic and Mirage-y is not realistic either.

The Original Movie is not all Mirage.
It combines the best aspects of the Mirage Comics and the Fred Wolf Cartoon - the lightest and the darkest incarnations of the Turtles - to find an excellent balance.
And because of that, the Original Movie ended up as one of the best - if not THE BEST - incarnation of the Turtles.

Peter Palmer
02-05-2016, 01:33 PM
Shredder wasn't a rip-off of Darth Vader. He was a far superior villain than Darth Vader could ever hope to be.

Let's not get carried away. I love the TMNT as much as anybody here on the forums, but Darth Vader is one of the best and most iconic villains in cinema history.

To say the Shredder in the original TMNT movie is "far superior" to Darth Vader is going to require some serious substantiation.

Masterpiece
02-07-2016, 05:39 PM
Let's not get carried away. I love the TMNT as much as anybody here on the forums, but Darth Vader is one of the best and most iconic villains in cinema history.

To say the Shredder in the original TMNT movie is "far superior" to Darth Vader is going to require some serious substantiation.

At least Shredder was actually in charge of his army.

Darth Vader was just second-in-command.

Shredder also has a better fighting style, and is able to actually make weak-minded people do his bidding, unlike Vader.

Walkabout
02-09-2016, 04:44 AM
Yes, let's not get carried away.

Cryomancer
02-09-2016, 06:42 AM
Shredder's army in the movie was mostly delinquent teenagers though. Easy to control when you have free videogames and smokes.

Masterpiece
02-10-2016, 04:01 AM
Shredder would smash Darth Vader in a fight.

And I prefer watching Foot Soldiers who come from troubled backgrounds rather than nameless mooks known as the Stormtroopers.

And I prefer to listen to "Shredder's Suite" over "Imperial March" any day!

Shark_Blade
02-13-2016, 12:33 AM
Shredder would smash Darth Vader in a fight.

And I prefer watching Foot Soldiers who come from troubled backgrounds rather than nameless mooks known as the Stormtroopers.

And I prefer to listen to "Shredder's Suite" over "Imperial March" any day!

I like tmnt more than Star Wars, but come on... Shredder stronger than Vader? I mean, COME ON. :lol:

Cryomancer
02-13-2016, 08:43 PM
If the stuff I'm hearing about this Deadpool movie is accurate, this thread title may have potentially found it's answer.