PDA

View Full Version : TMNT 2007 Appreciation Thread

mexichrist83
03-06-2015, 05:32 PM
Seems that the 2007 movie gets a lot of flack for some reason so I wanted to start an appreciation thread for others who actually like the movie so they can discuss what they do like about it. The movie does have it's flaws but it's not as horrible as people make it out to be.

mexichrist83
03-07-2015, 05:22 PM
No one? Ok then I'll bump just to throw in my two cents. One of the things I like about the movie is how it took TMNT movies back to a little more of a serious vibe while not going too overboard with it. I also really like the fact that it was a continuation of the original trilogy which allowed the writers to do something besides the Turtles vs Shredder. I know TMNT 3 tried this but what that movie gave us in terms of villains was insanely underwhelming and lame. I like the idea of the team, in a sense, splitting up and having to come together again. I really liked seeing what the Turtles would be doing if they were no longer fighting crime. I'm a sucker for monsters so the monsters story didn't bother me but I do wish we could have seen more of them and had a better explanation of how they managed to go that long without ever being seen. Max Winters' redemption storyline was also a nice addition to the monsters storyline because the movie could have just gone the predictable "he's obviously the villain" route but it did something more with him than that and I really kind of appreciate the movie for it. The animation and the look/feel of the movie is great too. Last but not least, that Raph vs Leo fight is worth the price of admission alone!

The movie is not without flaws. One of my personal problems with the movie is the design of the Turtles. The body types are fine but something about those heads and faces just looks weird to me. Its definitely not the worst the turtles have looked but I just don't care for them. Also, Raph is obnoxiously angry and jerky for some reason that's not really well explained. We all know Raph is the hothead of the group but in this movie his anger and attitude toward the other Turtles is a little over done and unnecessary. Karai's inclusion in the movie is nice but there was no real introduction to her character at all. She just kind of shows up as the new head of the Foot Clan and that's the extent of her character in this movie. I realize that you can only fit so much story into the movie but a quick little bit of exposition dialogue would have helped a little.

cloud
03-07-2015, 05:42 PM
I love the movie. I felt that it added a strong family theme and great character advancements that all other movie lack. And the realism in martial arts that I have not seen in animation form for a very long time.

snake
03-07-2015, 06:30 PM
I like it. Okay animation, fun plot, great VA, better than 2014.

raph27
03-07-2015, 06:55 PM
great VA

So much this. Nolan North is not only a great Kraang, but also a great Raph.

Xiewin
03-07-2015, 07:42 PM
I like it too. It's my favorite TMNT film.

Autbot_Benz
03-07-2015, 08:09 PM
again its not a TMNT movie its a generic 13 monster plot with the Turtles thrown on to make people go see this movie.

Shark_Blade
03-07-2015, 09:12 PM
The story made me cringe I had to edit out large portions of the movie scenes to make it at least watchable.

sdp
03-07-2015, 11:12 PM
The first time I watched it I loved it and most people in this forum did like it when it was released heck the general consensus on the internet was good but that quickly changed and I didn't understand why but every time I've watched the movie I've liked it less and less so I kind of understand why now. The hype of a new TMNT movie was just so big and you could definitely feel it around the forums and the director said all the right words. Take the hype away and you start seeing faults in the shiny new movie you used to love. I still think the movie gets undeserved hate on the internet and doesn't deserve to be forgotten which has actually happen by most people, many people don't even remember or knew the movie was released and we had plenty of articles last year about the new TMNT movie talking as if we hadn't had a movie since TMNT III and completely ignoring the 2007 film.

So yeah while I still like the movie it definitely has faults, I think the mood, the CG, the music, the designs and the characterization was great, they really understood the TMNT world; the plot however is a total mess however and that's where it really needed to deliver the most since it had been so long since the last movie we didn't want just a "side adventure" which this movie ultimately felt like. Yes the movie needed Shredder; a relaunch couldn't be done without him at least not at this time. Sure you have the foot in some form with Karai but in the end that was a terrible move since it just made you wish Shredder was there and having the foot at all only took time from the plot. Even without Shredder you could've had Baxter or even Krang show up and it would've made it more iconic and memorable and that would've worked as well. Hell even with an original villain could've been handled much better since what we got was rather lackluster and yet it needed a lot of backstory to even explain what was happening. Now TMNT is no stranger to mythical themes but this reboot even if CG needed something more grounded in reality or even sci-fi. We also had the 13 monsters which also needed explanation and yet was just rushed in the end making it absolutely pointless. Hell it wasn't a bad idea, I actually liked how that explained all the urban legends and cryptozoologist in the planet but that wasn't even in the movie itself, you had to read the tie in comic/novel/game/picture books/interviews to even get tha, it could've worked very well as a 13 episode story arc in the cartoon. The Raph/Leo rivalry was handled really well and is the best part of the movie and it was meant to be but there's so much other sh-t also happening in the plot that doesn't get any attention and it brings the whole film down, a simpler plot that got more attention would've sufficed instead of the convoluted mess that we got, I mean why even bother with all that nonesense if the story was about Raph/Leo and their "family".

I also really like the fact that it was a continuation of the original trilogy
Highly debatable, leaning towards "not really".

Cryomancer
03-08-2015, 04:29 AM
I like it but I don't love it. People complain about the monsters/generals but whatever, I'm more annoyed it's yet another "Raphael is angry!!!!!!!!!" story. But at least it's a decently executed one. I do rather like what they did with April and Casey, even if April fighting Karai is still kind of silly. But her training herself for defense and running her own business are great. Casey seemingly not having advanced his life at all in years is also very in character.

There were a lot of places they could have gone from there and I'm let down that we never saw any of them.

Karai's accent is amazing

DarkLightDragon
03-08-2015, 08:58 AM
I like it to a degree. Most of the stuff I liked was for the most part superficial and felt it's biggest problems were in the plot and character departments.

But since this is meant to be a appreciation topic, I'll just avoid talking about it's flaws and jot down stuff I did like:

-How they incorporated the lighting and shading.
-While I felt he and Mikey got the least relevancy in the story, I liked that it was Donnie mostly kept things together in the family while Leo was gone, even if they weren't actively fighting. Hell, he wasn't afraid to call out Raph for his attitude and making it a point he barely does anything. That's practically ballsy for the Turtle who usually tries to avoid any sort of conflict with his brothers.
-Mako as Splinter. He just nailed that balance of wise mentor and loving father, much like how he did Iroh from Avater TLA. Heck, the voice-acting in general was alright minus the obvious celebrity voice castings that are so obviously celebrity voice casts.
-That Leo VS Raph fight. Duh. Yeah, as cliché and overdone as the rivalry between the two can be at times, it's good to see here there's some payoff for it and it ending Raph finally feeling ashamed of how he's been acting.

That's all I got unless I come up with more.

rickwj324
03-08-2015, 11:56 AM
I really enjoy this movie a lot! I liked the character designs, the animation, and I have no problem with the storyline. It was great to watch in the theatre and I've watched it many times on blu-ray with my little ones. I wish there had been a follow-up movie to this.

TheSkeletonMan939
03-08-2015, 12:17 PM
The story was subpar at best, but the colors were vibrant, lighting was excellent, the CGI was great, voices were amazing, music was brilliant, the characterizations were spot-on...

The film is worth the watch for all that, even if the story is lacking.

Wesley
03-08-2015, 01:01 PM
I watched the film recently and I thought it was good. It was the first tmnt film that I watched in years (I saw the second and third films in the late 90s). The plot was confusing and boring, but I liked the character development and action scenes. It was interesting to see the turtles face a different enemy instead of Shredder for a change. I also liked the family dynamic between the turtles and Splinter. I liked the way characters such as Karai, April and Raph were portrayed. The voice acting was good, too.

Allio
03-08-2015, 01:37 PM
Not a good A-plot, but the B-plot was well worth it.

easily second best movie

Eurydemus
03-13-2015, 02:57 PM
I enjoyed the movie, but the whole "Stone Generals" thing felt out of place. Since the film ran with a post-Shredder plot anyway, I think it would've been nice if the writers adapted the City at War arc in some form.

RBT
03-14-2015, 05:40 AM
I first watched it when I had been out of the hobby for a few years and thought I was over the whole TMNT thing :tconfuse: however I really enjoyed it and aesthetically it was excellent, I personally liked the storyline and felt overall it was only second to the original movie.

LeotheLateBloomer
03-14-2015, 05:49 AM
I first watched it when I had been out of the hobby for a few years and thought I was over the whole TMNT thing :tconfuse: however I really enjoyed it and aesthetically it was excellent, I personally liked the storyline and felt overall it was only second to the original movie.

Dude, I really like your avatar. Did you draw this?

In all honesty, I really liked this movie. The plot was half-good, half-eh! The villains in this movie weren't particularly interesting but it was refreshing to see no Shredder in a good movie. The Leo and Raph tension scenes are what made the movie for me.

This movie is in the middle for me when it comes to TMNT movies. I like it more than the 3rd and '14 movies but not as much as the 1st and 2nd movies.

RBT
03-15-2015, 03:00 AM
Dude, I really like your avatar. Did you draw this?

In all honesty, I really liked this movie. The plot was half-good, half-eh! The villains in this movie weren't particularly interesting but it was refreshing to see no Shredder in a good movie. The Leo and Raph tension scenes are what made the movie for me.

This movie is in the middle for me when it comes to TMNT movies. I like it more than the 3rd and '14 movies but not as much as the 1st and 2nd movies.

Hi sadly not I wish I had the skill, found it on google whilst looking for a new avatar.

FlogginMcMurryZombiePizza
03-15-2015, 03:52 AM
Awesome Donnie pic, RBT.

I'm also a fan and supporter of the 2007 movie.
It was also released at a time when my TMNT fandom was kinda flatlined. I loved them, but I wasn't drawing them and I wasn't talking about them. I missed the 2003 series ('cus I wasn't watching TV at all and didn't like their 'roided up look at the time) and so when they were getting a movie, I was actually pretty psyched. And I didn't feel disappointed. It was a time when I saw Transformers in the theater and regretted not walking out of it, so TMNT was a big relief for me.
I had bought the GBA game for 2003, so I wasn't totally dead to TMNT. But I never did play the 2007 movie tie-in game, or in games released between the two films (GBA/Xbox/PS2/Gamecube era).

I'll agree it isn't the strongest film released. The point of the film did rely on the whole "family" aspect and that strength and bond. The A-story needed a better focus or a bigger threat. It all wrapped up into an almost moral-of-the-story bit. But, overall, it's not a bad film. Especially compared to other incarnations before and after it.
And I will say it if weren't for 2007 movie, the Nick show might not be what it is, since a lot of its themes and strengths stem from the best parts of the movie.

again its not a TMNT movie its a generic 13 monster plot with the Turtles thrown on to make people go see this movie.

More reason to see it than the 2014 which was... what? O'Neil vs Sacks family conspiracies and how she's the messiah to mutant superheros? And everyone wants to bang her?

Autbot_Benz
03-15-2015, 12:38 PM
Awesome Donnie pic, RBT.

I'm also a fan and supporter of the 2007 movie.
It was also released at a time when my TMNT fandom was kinda flatlined. I loved them, but I wasn't drawing them and I wasn't talking about them. I missed the 2003 series ('cus I wasn't watching TV at all and didn't like their 'roided up look at the time) and so when they were getting a movie, I was actually pretty psyched. And I didn't feel disappointed. It was a time when I saw Transformers in the theater and regretted not walking out of it, so TMNT was a big relief for me.
I had bought the GBA game for 2003, so I wasn't totally dead to TMNT. But I never did play the 2007 movie tie-in game, or in games released between the two films (GBA/Xbox/PS2/Gamecube era).

I'll agree it isn't the strongest film released. The point of the film did rely on the whole "family" aspect and that strength and bond. The A-story needed a better focus or a bigger threat. It all wrapped up into an almost moral-of-the-story bit. But, overall, it's not a bad film. Especially compared to other incarnations before and after it.
And I will say it if weren't for 2007 movie, the Nick show might not be what it is, since a lot of its themes and strengths stem from the best parts of the movie.

More reason to see it than the 2014 which was... what? O'Neil vs Sacks family conspiracies and how she's the messiah to mutant superheros? And everyone wants to bang her?
no only mike and Vern wanted to bang her. the 2014 movie was still more a Turtles movie than the 2007 one was. It had the turtles splinter Shredder Mutagen The Foot. Hell Karai was better than being Foot for hire like in the 2007 one. Granted it was full of plot holes but at least it didn't need a generic 13 monster plot in it. Id still take the PD movies over the 2007 one.

Amaranthus
03-15-2015, 12:40 PM

"...bitchy people are what make fan forums insufferable when they don't need to be." - B-Man.

I think you should remove this from your signature because it makes you look like such a hypocrite, especially because this is an appreciation thread and you keep bitching about "haters".

Xiewin
03-15-2015, 12:58 PM
no only mike and Vern wanted to bang her.

And you don't find anything wrong with that?

the 2014 movie was still more a Turtles movie than the 2007 one was.

How? The turtles weren't even the main characters in their own film.

It had the turtles splinter Shredder Mutagen The Foot.

Too bad none of these characters had any indication of a personality whatsoever.

Hell Karai was better than being Foot for hire like in the 2007 one.

She was barely even in the movie, she was just another generic henchman just like the foot but with a different look and style. At-least 2k7 Karai had some characteristic traits that made her stand out from the others. But nonetheless neither one is really that much better than the other.

mexichrist83
03-16-2015, 04:54 PM

Just out of curiosity, what in your opinion makes the 13 monsters plot so generic? Sure, the 13 monster plot is not connected to any previously told TMNT stories but that's what's good about it (in my opinion). It's a completely new story featuring the Turtles, new characters and villains. I actually thought it was quite refreshing. Would a Baxter movie or a Turtles in space movie featuring Fugitoid and Triceratons been a great CGI TMNT movie? Absolutely but I'm still glad that we had writers that wanted to tell an original TMNT story we haven't seen yet. I give them credit for that.

Cryomancer
03-16-2015, 08:15 PM
Yeah, and the fact that the big "villain plot" is actually "I got what I wanted, and it sucked, so I'm un-getting it and letting myself die" is a fairly TMNT sort of plot concept, I'd say.

Testudo
03-27-2015, 06:05 AM
again its not a TMNT movie its a generic 13 monster plot

"It's not a movie, it's a plot"?! That doesn't make any sense whatsoever. The plot is part of the movie. And since the turtles and their relationships are the essence and heart of the whole movie, it is a TMNT movie (more so than any other, maybe with the exception of the first one).

TheSkeletonMan939
03-28-2015, 07:29 PM
Sure, the 13 monster plot is not connected to any previously told TMNT stories but that's what's good about it (in my opinion). It's a completely new story featuring the Turtles, new characters and villains. I actually thought it was quite refreshing.

Definitely.

Isn't it boring to have Shredder be the bad guy in every movie?

He was the bad guy in the first film. He was the bad guy in the second film. He was the bad guy in the reboot. And he's probably the bad guy in the upcoming sequel.

God forbid they ever break away from the formula. I consider the 2007 film to be a tentative continuation of sorts of the original film trilogy, so it makes sense that Shredder was out of the picture in this one.

DarkLightDragon
03-29-2015, 03:47 PM
I'm all for a new villain besides Shredder, I just want him/her to be actually be a good villain. Max Winters and the 4 Generals...just weren't IMO.

They set up Winters as being the Big Bad, with him collecting all these monsters and keeping hush-hush as to why to the Foot, but that opening intro with Yaotl just made it obvious Yaotl and Winters were the same person especially with that whole "became immortal" tidbit and that his whole motivation was to make amends for his mistake rather than global domination. What was obviously meant to be a twist really wasn't much of one at all.

And the Generals, dull as f*ck. Barely any of them besides Aguila have any personality or dialogue to show off any personality. I liked the idea that they could've embodied their signature animal each one was based off for more individuality amongst themselves (Gato being cat-like/mischevious, Serpiente being venomously cold and callous, Mono being both strong and loyal, you get the picture). Just having different personalities clashing to serve as a dark parallel to the Turtles (when it wasn't just Raph and Leo) and how they feud with each other at times.

Mew
03-29-2015, 03:50 PM
I like this movie.
I'm not saying it's all that good, but it's a guilty pleasure.

TheSkeletonMan939
03-31-2015, 09:03 AM
And the Generals, dull as f*ck. Barely any of them besides Aguila have any personality or dialogue to show off any personality. I liked the idea that they could've embodied their signature animal each one was based off for more individuality amongst themselves (Gato being cat-like/mischevious, Serpiente being venomously cold and callous, Mono being both strong and loyal, you get the picture).

The film's video game adaptation actually does expand a little bit on the stone generals... in fact, the entire game is an expansion to the story in some respects. We learn what Leo was looking for in the jungle, what Nightwatcher was doing in Winter's Tower, and I think one of its cutscenes even included a scene from the film that didn't even make the final cut.

There's a whole lot of backstory to the 2007 film that isn't even touched upon in the film itself. One of the picture books coinciding with the film revealed that it was a sorceress's curse, not the portal itself, that changed the generals to stone and turned Winters immortal. The sticker book - the goddamn sticker book - revealed that Raph had no intention of being called the Nightwatcher, but was given that name by the media.

This film really could have benefited from a longer runtime.

Bry
03-31-2015, 09:20 AM
Granted it was full of plot holes but at least it didn't need a generic 13 monster plot in it.

Not to jump on the dogpile here, but... which one was more "generic" really? The 13 Monsters plot, or the BayTurtles' plot, which was sloppily/nonsensically lifted wholesale from other movies (including the entire third act from The Amazing Spider-Man) and had no connection to the TMNT lore at all?

The 2007 characters at least have some genuine connection, emotion and history. The movie had its flaws, but felt like the Ninja Turtles - unlike BayTurtles, which at best paid lip service to aspects of the property without ever doing the work to make them feel "real" or genuine.

DarkLightDragon
03-31-2015, 09:22 AM
The film's video game adaptation actually does expand a little bit on the stone generals... in fact, the entire game is an expansion to the story in some respects. We learn what Leo was looking for in the jungle, what Nightwatcher was doing in Winter's Tower, and I think one of its cutscenes even included a scene from the film that didn't even make the final cut.

There's a whole lot of backstory to the 2007 film that isn't even touched upon in the film itself. One of the picture books coinciding with the film revealed that it was a sorceress's curse, not the portal itself, that changed the generals to stone and turned Winters immortal. The sticker book - the goddamn sticker book - revealed that Raph had no intention of being called the Nightwatcher, but was given that name by the media.

When children's book adapting a movie has more content and fleshing out characters than the actual movie itself...

Just...wow...

Cryomancer
03-31-2015, 06:08 PM
There were several prequel comics to the movie as well, where you learn things like how and why Raphael became the Nightwatcher. Interesting that the sticker book says the media named him that, the comic tells a different story if I recall.

cloud
04-09-2015, 10:35 PM

Interesting. I guess the supplementary material didn't really have much a a guideline. In the tie in comics, Raphael inherit the Nightwatcher name and costume. How did Raph stretched into a costume that originally fit on a man is beyond my knowledge but explains where he got the weapon and bike.

Bossanova
04-21-2015, 01:50 PM
Just got done watching it again, and i still love it. especially the scene where the drum and bass music starts and the gang is in the gates stomping the foot soldiers. I agree with whoever said they should make a "city at war" movie, i would love to see shredders elite guard on the big screen.

GiveMeBackMyRaphXLeo
04-21-2015, 08:29 PM
I like this movie no matter what stupid criticism around there, its abt true bromance. n some retards want a funny customs stage show spotlight some desperate actress. ha, n the turtle's faces cant even move they got no facial expression at all so fake so fake n so fake.

GoldMutant
04-21-2015, 08:34 PM
I honestly wonder how a continuation of this film would have gone. It had potential, yet scrapped. :-?

Walkabout
04-22-2015, 06:43 AM
I don't really have a problem with the 2007 movie.
It certainly does have it's faults and I'd be lying if I said the whole Stone Generals plotline was great but I can watch it and genuinely enjoy it.

jenna
04-22-2015, 01:44 PM
I'm not going to say the 2007 movie is perfect (I too am not keen on the monsters storyline) but I love the film. Visually, it's beautiful; the turtles were well designed and expertly voiced. In addition their characterisations were spot on. 2007 Raph is my favourite version of Raph ever.

But for me, it's the Leo - Raph fight on the rooftop that is the film's highlight. In the rain, beneath the sickly Neon light.... From the way Leo draws his swords, to the fight sequence itself, to the look of sick realisation on Raph's face when he comes out of his frenzy.... For each moment in this sequence this film will always be one of my favourites.

mexichrist83
04-23-2015, 03:20 PM
I think the thing most people tend to overlook or misunderstand about this movie is that it's not really a good guys vs bad guys type of movie which you'd expect from a TMNT movie. It's more about the family and (especially) brotherly relationships theme. Sure, there is something of a villain with the monsters and stone characters because the turtles do need something or someone to fight but that's not what the main focus of the movie is and I think that's where the movie loses people. I also think that if the movie focused on the relationship issues between all four turtles instead of just Raph and Leo (as always) people probably wouldn't be so hard on the movie. I like that the writers tried to do a more character and relationship based TMNT movie as opposed to the expected good guys need to stop the bad guys movie. Was it done 100% perfectly? No but for what it is I, personally, enjoy it and appreciate it.

Powder
04-23-2015, 03:46 PM
I think the thing most people tend to overlook or misunderstand about this movie is that it's not really a good guys vs bad guys type of movie which you'd expect from a TMNT movie. It's more about the family and (especially) brotherly relationships theme. Sure, there is something of a villain with the monsters and stone characters because the turtles do need something or someone to fight but that's not what the main focus of the movie is and I think that's where the movie loses people. I also think that if the movie focused on the relationship issues between all four turtles instead of just Raph and Leo (as always) people probably wouldn't be so hard on the movie. I like that the writers tried to do a more character and relationship based TMNT movie as opposed to the expected good guys need to stop the bad guys movie. Was it done 100% perfectly? No but for what it is I, personally, enjoy it and appreciate it.

Nonsense. The first film as well as tons of comics & cartoon episodes also focus heavily on the family dynamic & drama surrounding the Hamato clan's emotional atmosphere. That's not something that turned people off, it's one of the main staples of the damn franchise!

pennydreadful
04-23-2015, 05:31 PM
Personally, I love this movie. I loved its focus on the family elements, its humor and its drama.

Huzzah
05-05-2015, 06:44 PM
Finally found my dvd of this movie, haven't watched it in years. It does alot right. Voices, score, animation, tone, makes April more tolerable. So, I'd say I like it more than dislike it.

Mentioning April, she and Casey seem closer to the Turtles ages than alot of versions. Honestly at times I felt like these Turtles and especially this version of Casey, often coincide with the Nick Turtles. I could easily believe that these are the Nick characters grown up. There are some discrepancies, yes, but personality and age wise it could pass as the Nick Turtles future selves.

Jester
05-05-2015, 07:00 PM
The Turtle stuff in TMNT worked, but the 13 Monsters of Maxwell Winters is what doesn't.

Jephael
05-05-2015, 07:04 PM
The Turtle stuff in TMNT worked, but the 13 Monsters of Maxwell Winters is what doesn't.

Great, I'll take my time machine back to 2006 and inform Peter Laird. :trazz:

Huzzah
05-05-2015, 07:07 PM
Time Machine? I thought scepters were how time travel was accomplished in the Turtle-verse

Jester
05-05-2015, 07:34 PM
Time Machine? I thought scepters were how time travel was accomplished in the Turtle-verse
Sometimes a time slip generator or some sort of subway car is used. ;)

Huzzah
05-05-2015, 08:26 PM
Never a Time Machine though, haha

Jester
05-05-2015, 08:38 PM
Never a Time Machine though, haha
A time slip generator is a kind of time machine....i guess....kinda like Cody Jones' time window.

Powder
05-06-2015, 01:09 AM
Cudley The Cowlick is a sort of... organic time machine... thing... right? :tlol:

Jester
05-06-2015, 01:13 AM
Cudley The Cowlick is a sort of... organic time machine... thing... right? :tlol:
I guess....he did take the Turtles to the future didn't he? For a ham-fisted environmental message.

Leo656
05-06-2015, 11:21 PM
I love Cudley. That sh*t's bananas. :lol:

GiveMeBackMyRaphXLeo
05-07-2015, 10:49 PM
im wishing for a sequel of this version movie actually n I got the facepalm like tmnt 2014...

aliena
06-23-2015, 08:46 PM
When I first watched this movie I did not care for it. I really hated that Leo went away for that long and didn't seem to care for his brothers anymore. I didn't like that the other three turtles fell apart without Leo.

What if Leo never existed in the first place? Splinter would not allow them to just quit and I'm sure Raph would be their leader, but in a way different than Leo.

However, after watching it a few more times since then, I've found that I like it a lot more each viewing. I get that it is trying to center on the family.

Raph was so enraged because he felt betrayed, and abandoned by Leo. Whether they would ever admit it or not, they are the closest out of the brothers and depend on each other the most.

The fight scene between them was off the charts. I guess we know who would win in a fight between them. When Raph loses Leo and he falls to the ground crying out, it was heartbreaking.

I do love how Donnie fell in as the next leader though. He did what he thought they should do, put themselves into work. He also kept Mikey in line probably better than Leo did.

I liked the voices, especially Raph, but I didn't like the designs of the turtles faces as much. And, did I hear that these turtles were supposed to be about to turn nineteen or twenty or maybe that was just my imagination since they seem older than teens.

member_removed
07-20-2015, 04:49 PM
I really liked it.

I didn't mind that it was without Shredder. I'm always happy to see the turtles take on other foes. I had no issue with the stone generals. As a movie reboot, I think ussing Shredder would've been better as that's the bad guy the Joe Public most associates with the franchise. Maybe they should have left new original badguys for sequeals.

I felt the chemistry between the turtles and Splinter was at it's peak. I enjoyed that Donnie and Mikey had day jobs that suited the traits and personalities (Raph too).

I really dug that it felt like it was Leo's showpiece (as 1990 was Raphs, SOTO was Donnies and III was Mikeys). That's how I've always seen the first four movies anyway.

Cryomancer
07-20-2015, 05:25 PM
I feel the Winters/monsters/generals thing would have been fine with any two of the elements but all three kind of muddles it too much. Winters was a decent enough concept and fits in fine with the usual Mirage TMNT "weirdness magnet" feel. Him hiring the foot as private security works well enough too.

Maybe instead of the monsters they should have had the foot fighting/collecting the generals, or the generals had gone crazy and turned into the monsters, or something. My biggest problem with the monsters is that...they are apparently all in New York? I think they said something about the portal drawing them in maybe, but eh. Could have had them be around the world and Leonardo running into the foot capturing one and following them back to New York? Could have even had the turtles splitting up to travel via April's business to track some down.

More drastically different, it could have taken place after, say, a Triceraton invasion, and the foot are tracking down the remaining Triceratons and their gear for Winters to build some megaweapon (either to kill himself finally or just standard supervillain stuff).

Mew
07-20-2015, 05:28 PM
This is a great movie. Watch the commentary with the director on the DVD.

Kris
08-23-2015, 09:41 PM
I still have yet to get the DVD as I'm also interested in DVD commentary, that is aside from trying to increase my TMNT collection on DVD. As for the movie itself, I definitely enjoyed it for what it is. I'd still like to watch it a few more times though as I only saw it once recently, as I haven't been on a general TMNT kick in a while anyway.

What really caught my attention before seeing the entire film were the fight scenes between Leonardo and Raphael. I also liked the part where Michelangelo was skateboarding through the sewer.

Martian_Turtlesaurus
09-14-2015, 07:35 PM
I liked Raph's Night watcher outfit. I didn't though it was a superhero/vigilante suit I thought it was a clever way to ride around without calling too much attention.

The origin of the suit on the comic prequels was ridiculous.

I hate this over used plot for a reboot the team has disbanded for no good reason and they reunite again for old times sake (it was even used in Scooby-Doo!) because of a new and not very impressive menace. That in this particular case was the weakest point of the whole plot. That was unnecessarily plagued with ideas that were never developed.

I loved the design of Karai and the foot ninja and I still proudly own the movie art booklet.

They tried to make too many things at the same time and failed.
For me the teaser was way better than the whole movie also the intro with Lawrence Fishburne narrating, Raph and Leo's fight and the closing scene were the only highlights for me.

Ultimately it fails to tell a good story or to show that the characters have evolved in any way while being apart.

Astroboy was predictable to the point of boredom and I am glad they didn't get the chance to tarnish Gatchaman and Zelda.