PDA

View Full Version : Custom Mystic Turtles - My First Real Customs!

Bauer536
03-24-2015, 12:04 PM
Finally! I got to paint these babies!

I used different acrylic paints. I used Melted Chocolate Brown for Mikey's tree foot spikes. The rest were White and Magnolia White. I used the complete white for Mikey and Leo's bandages (mostly the feet for Mike), magnolia white for Donnie's, and I mixed magnolia and brown for Raph's. I was pretty satisfied . . . until I found out you can easily scratch off the paint.

I was reading one day that after you customize your figures, you need to use a sealer. However, I realized that I might have had something that was close as that: gloss gel used for acrylics. It made the paintwork look shinier, durable, and actually, as if Playmates gave a darn to paint their figures.

So, Raph was the one that had paint that could scratch off easily, so I decided to do him first. Then I realized that if he was going to get the extra treatment, the others needed to, as well. There were a few times where I had to repaint things (like Mike's tree spikes), but everything was fine from there.

In the end I was pretty satisfied . . . well, that's what I thought. I couldn't help but feel distracted by Leo's paintjob. His bandages were too white. So, I looked back at the still images of him in the "Vision Quest" episode to see if I was right before I bought the figures. No matter what picture I found, his wrappings looked gray. Maybe it had some white to it, but definitely light gray. Luckily, I had black acrylic paint that I used years ago for an art class. It's not the same type that I used recently, but it worked. The gray makes such a difference now.

I'm quite pleased with how they turned out. I know I could have made them completely accurate, but then they wouldn't match that Playmates style. The multi-colored elbow and knee pads didn't bother me. It was only the feet and arms that did. Donnie's tattoos aren't painted, but that was because I didn't want to overdo any of this. Every time I try to make it 100 % perfect, I make it worse. So, these are a lot better than what they used to be.

So, what do you guys think?:tgrin:

Lethal Lullaby
03-24-2015, 12:47 PM
I think they look pretty awesome, Bauer536. Would say pretty dope as well. ^//u//^ You did a great job painting them, and it's nice to see how your progress went.

Bauer536
03-24-2015, 12:51 PM
Thanks. It was kind of difficult trying to not paint on their pads. Leo has a bit of white and gray stuck underneath his, but sometimes it's easy just to scrape them off. Based on what I used right now, I don't think their paint should be a problem. It's always Raph's I might have to be aware of.

Blackeyedsonic
03-24-2015, 01:24 PM
They look awesome great job

Mew
03-24-2015, 04:29 PM
Very nice!
Great job!

Electric
03-24-2015, 09:20 PM
Looks great man!

TheBlueTurtle1
03-25-2015, 01:43 PM
Look awesome, great job!

BlueKatanas
03-27-2015, 12:54 PM
Awesome work! They turned out great :)

Bauer536
05-05-2015, 12:58 PM
Update: Donnie's tattoos have been painted. They look great.

However, I have been looking at my Leo, and I'm not happy with him. I tried repainting him, but I've made a mess and possibly ruined any chances of repainting the figure at all. I don't want to think of getting a new one, because that would be ridiculous.

Here's why I repainted him: I wasn't too fond of the bandage colors I gave him. Tell me, do his Vision Quest bandages on the episode look white or light gray to you? :tconfuse:

TurtleTitan97
05-05-2015, 04:28 PM
Nice job on the customs, dude.

Ninturtle
05-05-2015, 05:29 PM
Update: Donnie's tattoos have been painted. They look great.

However, I have been looking at my Leo, and I'm not happy with him. I tried repainting him, but I've made a mess and possibly ruined any chances of repainting the figure at all. I don't want to think of getting a new one, because that would be ridiculous.

Here's why I repainted him: I wasn't too fond of the bandage colors I gave him. Tell me, do his Vision Quest bandages on the episode look white or light gray to you? :tconfuse:
They were a light grey.

Ninturtle
05-05-2015, 07:06 PM
So, it's gray? I thought it was white. Take a look at the pictures.

It's a very light gray or white with a hint of gray.

TheBlueTurtle1
05-07-2015, 02:44 PM
It's a very light gray or white with a hint of gray.

Agree with this.

plastroncafe
05-07-2015, 03:07 PM
These are fantastic! Well done!

Bauer536
05-08-2015, 10:32 AM
Finally fixed Leo. His bandages are a lighter gray. I was just wearing light gray socks a few days ago, and they looked white when I was in the light. So, that solves my problem.

Some of the figure's paint on his plastron has worn out from constant scraping (I do make a mess while applying paint:toops:), so I had to fix that with an orange tone. Still, I am happy I fixed it, and I won't have to purchase a new one.:tsmile:

Here are the photos.

Lethal Lullaby
05-08-2015, 01:11 PM
Nice to see how great these are coming along for you! :3

Bauer536
05-08-2015, 01:20 PM
Nice to see how great these are coming along for you! :3

Actually, I'm done. Every time I try to improve something, I make it worse. That's what always happens when I make something artistic.

Leo was fine, but I went too far with the painting. Luckily, he's fine now. I'm not messing with these again. Hopefully, the future will give us better Mystic Turtles, maybe if Playmates reissues them, or if another company makes better TMNT figures.

TheBlueTurtle1
05-08-2015, 03:08 PM
They look awesome , I would leave as is if your happy with them. Sometimes you can mess with thing too much.:P

TurtleTitan97
05-08-2015, 04:42 PM
They look great.