PDA

View Full Version : Tmnt - mmo?

LeoBlades
03-27-2015, 02:51 AM
Why has there never been a TMNT MMO created? I mean it works as an RPG (a'la D&D), so it has the potential to work.

You could have various factions to choose from:

Mutants & Humans (good)
Purple Dragons (Evil)
Utroms/Triceratons (Nuetral)
Footclan (Evil)

Obviously with the ability to choose what type of mutant animal (through a selection) the sex, and what class you would like to be. Obviously depending which faction you choose, various characters can train you on different classes (e.g. Raphael trains in Tank Class)

There would also be plenty of locations as well: New York, Off Planet, Technodrome.

With various places allowing for teleport, e.g. TCRI building and Technodrome.

Sorry, I'm just throwing down idea's here, but just so surprised after things like DC Universe and Marvels attempts at MMO's, why hasn't anyone tried for a Turtles MMO?

Nameless
03-27-2015, 10:46 AM
MMO's are a ton of work to produce and maintain.... a company needs a solid plan to make them profitable... simply going people like X so lets make a MMO base on X is a sure way to lose money... plus i'm pretty sure TMNT fan base is no where near as big as the DC marvel fan bases :)

that said if they ever do make one i'de check it out but i doubt i'de stay long.... don't want to be sucked into the time sink that is a MMO game...

Candy Kappa
03-27-2015, 02:06 PM
A mmo set in the same setting as Palladium's TMNT and Other Strangeness would have been pretty cool, but I don't think the Turtles' world in itself isn't big enough to house a mmo world compared to franchises like Warcraft, D&D which have two mmos with different settings, Conan and the Hyborian age.

It's a bit like Champions Online or DC Universe, it's a big world with name brand cgphavarers that live there (as NPCs) but they aren't the main focus.

TurtleTitan97
03-27-2015, 02:15 PM
I honestly can't a TMNT mmo work, imo. The universe isn't as big compared to DC or Marvel.

Aaronardo
03-28-2015, 07:43 AM
Well, hold on a second, the TMNT universe is pretty big, mind you:
- New York
- Dimension X
- Triceraton Republic
- Japan (possibly Feudal)
- Ninja Tribunal
That alone is enough to carry an MMO tbh, as there are different villains for each location/arc, and I'm sure there's more.

Orochi
03-28-2015, 08:19 AM
Given the fact that everyone would want to be a turtle, it couldn't work. We've seen that the only turtles (with the exception of Tokka and Slash) tend to be the TMNT. We'd be stuck with millions of turtles running around instead of a good mix. I say no to it, myself.

Aaronardo
03-28-2015, 08:47 AM
Given the fact that everyone would want to be a turtle, it couldn't work. We've seen that the only turtles (with the exception of Tokka and Slash) tend to be the TMNT. We'd be stuck with millions of turtles running around instead of a good mix. I say no to it, myself.

You're saying nobody would want to be a Triceratops alien or an out-of-control mutant alligator?

DarkFell
03-28-2015, 08:51 AM
Your idea might have potential. You can have the four Turtles as your "starting characters", then you can obtain more of the other characters from the multiple cartoon series' through special missions, collecting a form of currency in the game, having a subscription to the mmo company, ect.

So, that idea could work.

Orochi
03-28-2015, 10:24 AM
You're saying nobody would want to be a Triceratops alien or an out-of-control mutant alligator?

Probably not. Most players are likely going to be children. I personally would be a Ultrom or human myself, if the game where to exist. Children on the other hand probably wouldn't and would want a turtle character. If you're thinking a game with character creation, you'd probably have to have the turtles off limits. Look at a game like Dragonball Xenoverse, a fun MMO in it's own right but almost everyone chooses to be a Saiyan, making it less fun in the long run, imo.

TurtleTitan97
03-28-2015, 03:37 PM
Well, hold on a second, the TMNT universe is pretty big, mind you

But not as big as DC or Marvel. Those two have been around since the Golden Age of comics, and have over 75+ years worth of stories and characters to draw from. TMNT doesn't have that kind of rich mythology, imo.

Aaronardo
03-28-2015, 04:29 PM
But not as big as DC or Marvel. Those two have been around since the Golden Age of comics, and have over 75+ years worth of stories and characters to draw from. TMNT doesn't have that kind of rich mythology, imo.

True, but you don't need to have as big of a universe as DC or Marvel to have an MMO. Plus, TMNT has had 5 or so different incarnations in the comics, not to mention the 3 they got on TV, not to mention all the volumes within (like Mirage with their 4 different volumes). TMNT may not have that kind of mythology, but it sure does have a lot of it, still.
And Orochi, you bring up a good point. Probably having a Turtle off-limits would be the only way that kind of thing would work well... I completely forgot about that Dragonball MMO :P

Cryomancer
03-28-2015, 06:45 PM
I've played a bunch of Marvel heroes and I think that sort of game would probably work well enough for the TMNT franchise, if they wanted to.

I'd rather have TMNT themed Super Robot Wars or X-com though.

LeoBlades
03-30-2015, 05:49 AM

Hang on though, in Star Wars Galaxies, there were heaps of Jedi running around, when it was stated when it originally came out that not everyone could select Jedi etc...

Also look at DC Universe, although you can't create yourself as Superman, how many "look-a-likes" do you have flying around the screen etc.

But ultimately they could decide that no player can play as a Turtle.

Also had an thought that they could have the Battle Nexus as a PvP area. :)

Zulithe
03-30-2015, 06:02 AM
An MMO would work super well. There's a lot of way to do it, easiest would probably be to let you create a custom mutant at the start. if you want to be a turtle, you can. but you can also be tons of other creatures. Then you just run around completing quests in different TMNT environments and form guilds like your own version of the Mutanimals :P

If they wanted to be a little more complex you could add factions like The Foot, Dimension X, etc. and let you create characters, even non mutants like aliens or robots or ninjas, and join a faction.

I don't see it happening but we gotta remember now that Nick owns the license they are going to try just about anything to make money. We could see some kind of massively multiplayer tmnt game at some point. Maybe not a TMNT 2012 themed game, but in some future version of the turtles.

We should mentally prepare ourselves now for a tmnt reboot about every 10 years, it's going to be an infinite cycle so yeah.

Nameless
03-30-2015, 02:28 PM
i think its an idea that people would try out but i seriously have my doubts on it having long time staying power...

Candy Kappa
03-30-2015, 02:43 PM
It's not easy to make a mmo survive, the LEGO one died quite quickly.

Nameless
03-30-2015, 02:48 PM
there was a LEGO one... haha didn't know that... last MMO i tried was wildstar and i lasted a month... that said when i played WOW i lasted a few years... mostly its all about story telling and WOW does a good job at that...

Candy Kappa
03-30-2015, 02:52 PM
Oh yeah, it was called Lego: Universe. Went online 2010 and was shut down in 2012. They even had LEGO sets from the mmo. It had different lego settings you could travel to and do quest and all that mmo stuff. And you even had your own space where you could build whatever you wanted.

A friend of mine made the original yellow Lego castle, it was amazing.

The chat was a bothersome to work though, since it was "child safe" a lot of word was censored, even words that was "bad" certain numbers couldn't be spelled :lol:

Nameless
03-30-2015, 02:58 PM
have to love censorship... best i found is on this gem of a toy http://images.meredith.com/parents/images/2009/10/ss_TargetLeapFrogABC.jpg

you can make it say "letter sounds" and if you try to make it swear it will go "hahaha that tickles" before saying the last part of the word.... so it goes "F" "uh" "hahaha that tickles" "K"... sad to say i spent way to much time trying to figure out a way to make the damn thing swear....

Cryomancer
03-30-2015, 06:07 PM
I think your best overall option for this now still is just play Champions Online. You can make all kinds of weird mutant animals on there, and the main city area even has a clan of ninjas you can fight. And some of those ninjas are specifically called "foot soliders" in the generic sense of the word. There is a gang of purple-wearing guys too, although they're a bit more mafia flavored than the Purple Dragons generally are.

I played through as "Karai with lightsabers" once it was fun.

IndigoErth
03-31-2015, 07:28 PM
I wish. Though I'd like to see something with a very diverse character creation with controls of body proportions, weight and height, plenty of options in species and looks to select from for body parts, shapes, flesh and other features. If someone wants to make a really messed up mixed and matched mutant, hey, go for it. But, as painful as it is to say, Turtles off limits, only ones are the Turtle NPCs of the guys. (Altough I'm sure someone would prob make an add-on so the player could at least see themselves as one of/a Turtle.)

Oh and housing please, with different location options. Who doesn't want their own lair their friends can visit. :D (Heck, maybe even the option to buy an NPC of one or more of the Turtles to hang out there.)

Cryomancer
03-31-2015, 11:04 PM
You are pretty much describing Champions Online's costume editor there.

Candy Kappa
04-01-2015, 01:11 AM
Champions Online is a very fun mmo, and it's very easy to make a Ninja Turtle looking character.