PDA

View Full Version : Why do some people stick with one genre of music?

Wesley
03-27-2015, 05:35 PM
Why do some people stick with one genre of music? I listen to most types of music. I like a wide variety of bands/artists such as Tom Jones, Oasis, Nelly Furtado, Snow Patrol, Frank Sinatra, The Corrs, Jim McCann, Rachel Stevens, REM, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Timbaland, The Killers, Bob Marley, Michael Jackson, etc.

TigerClaw
03-27-2015, 05:39 PM
I listen to many types of electric dance music genres, If it sounds cool to me, I would like it.

Powder
03-27-2015, 05:40 PM
Aren't you guilty of it too? All I see on your list are artists who had hits, it's stuff you'd catch wind of through the billboard charts. Don't you like any independent/underground artists?

Prowler
03-27-2015, 05:45 PM
Because they love it so much and have gotten so deeply into it that they don't feel bothered to start it all over from scratch with a new genre. They've found comfort in a genre and the sub-culture associated with it and don't want to step out of it.

Leo656
03-27-2015, 07:24 PM
I don't get it myself. MY CD rack looks like that of a serial killer. Just a bunch of stuff that shouldn't be anywhere near each other with no common thread. My wife mostly likes harder metal, and the fact that I can switch between Pantera to Onyx to Bad Religion to New Found Glory to AFI to KMFDM to Oingo Boingo in a single afternoon drives her goddamn nuts. She likes some of that stuff, but having that kind of a "shuffle" really drives her crazy. And then sometimes, I'll go on these streaks, where all I'll listen to for two weeks is Guns N Roses, and then for a couple days, I just want to listen to hours of Everclear at a time.

No rhyme or reason at all to my musical taste, I just like a little of everything. There's also a few songs, where I could listen to them on a loop forever and never, ever get sick of them, and in fact, every time I hear it, it gets better. I know that's not very common. I'm just really all over the place with music.

senpai
03-27-2015, 10:14 PM
I'm not sure. I'd hate only limiting myself to one genre of music when there's so much out there that's worth enjoying.

Jester
03-27-2015, 10:18 PM
I'm all about Novelty music....which is fun when listening to the radio, as it's not on there....

PangolinFeets
03-27-2015, 10:22 PM
I have play lists ranging from Blind Guardian to Rasputina to Philip Glass to Favorite Game OSTs to Florence and the Machine to Lana Del Ray. lol

I listen to everything all over the place. I really don't get the one-genre thing.

Wesley
03-28-2015, 11:55 AM
Aren't you guilty of it too? All I see on your list are artists who had hits, it's stuff you'd catch wind of through the billboard charts. Don't you like any independent/underground artists?

I guess I'm guilty of it as well. I don't know much about idependent/underground artists, because I usually discover new music on the radio, music tv channels, Lastfm, etc.

Kanon
03-28-2015, 12:00 PM
Nickelback, Micheal Jackson, Blue, Taylor Swift, HIM,......(My playlist is so random :lol:)

I am one of those people who like melody and something you can sing too, so I can hear almost every genre except Techno stuff :P

Whatswiththeheadbands?
04-01-2015, 01:39 PM
I'm guilty of this.

Andrew NDB
04-01-2015, 01:45 PM
I listen to everything from rap/hip hop to rock, industrial and pop stuff. But when I'm working on something or writing it's epic movie scores all the way.

MsMarvelDuckie
04-01-2015, 01:58 PM
Does it really matter if the band/artist is "popular" or had hits if they are from diverse genres? Most people find music they like from hearing something on the radio, satellite stations, movie or TV soundtracks, or even comercials. Indie stuff is hard to find unless you go to underground venues like local bars, and even harder to find GOOD stuff that you might actually like. It's usually safer to stick with mass-media methods to find new music. Heck one of bmy favorite new artists is last year's American Idol winner, Caleb Johnson. The dude can ROCK!

Toitlefan
04-01-2015, 02:25 PM
I have a few friends that listen to strictly one or two genres (mainly punk and metal) which I never understood myself. I think part of it, from what I've seen, is they feel that there is an image to uphold and variety dictates that you are not a "true fan" of whatever type of music. For example, how could someone possibly be "metal/punk/grunge etc." if they rock out to Justin Bieber?
I listen to metal and hard rock but I also listen to everything from reggae to folk to everything electronic. My punk and metal friends usually give me a hard time about it too.

Powder
04-01-2015, 02:41 PM
Indie stuff is hard to find unless you go to underground venues like local bars, and even harder to find GOOD stuff that you might actually like. It's usually safer to stick with mass-media methods to find new music.

Have you ever heard of the internet? It's a great new way to discover music.

MsMarvelDuckie
04-01-2015, 02:55 PM
Problem w the net for music is you have to either know what you are lokking for, or just randomly stumble across something you might like . It is a crapshoot.

Powder
04-01-2015, 03:06 PM
Yeah, if you don't know how to use the internet. There are tons of places to find new stuff. Soundclound, bandcamp, /mu/, etc. & there are tons of artists on youtube.

Shiro Kame
04-11-2015, 04:14 PM
I guess people like familiarity...