PDA

View Full Version : Old School TMNT fan

keungkau
03-28-2015, 02:19 AM
Hi Everyone,

I first laid eyes as a young-un on the green machine in the late 1980's on
CBBC in the broom cupboard with Ginger haired Andy Crane and
Ed The Duck as the presenters :lol:

The first episode I saw was The Mean Machines but I can't remember if it was broadcast uncut or not?

I watched the Golden Harvest produced film in the cinema in 1990
From there I watched the Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles on TV and collected the figures which I sadly gave away aged 11 not knowing the value :cry:

Currently I have been collecting the comics mostly IDW
The Secret History Of The Foot Clan and the graphic novels in volumes are slowly building up!

I saw the most recent film directed by Michael Bay which I thought was ok
I liked the characterization of the turtles but felt Shredder wasn't that much of a threat of scary enough.

So I joined this forum to join in the chats and hopefully share some of my fan art.

I'm particularly interested the censorship of TMNT by The BBFC of the
TV series I've seen all the original 1987 series uncut but also cut too.
I'd be interested in hearing about how and why it was cut and were the cartoons specifically cut with UK audiences in mind?

I've tried watching the 2003 series which I have heard good things about but can't quite get into it I'm pretty much a 1987 fan and comic fan.

My favourite turtle is Raphael for his quick quips.
Although I love the bad guys Shredder and Krang , bebop & Rocksteady and Baxter Stockman and the modules going back and forth to the surface

My favourite episode is Enter The Shredder from the first season.

I'm also a Big Kung-Fu and Sci-Fi fan
I would say TMNT definitely attributed to my interest in Sci-Fi and Kung Fu :tgrin:

Thanks

Keung

Mzx10484
03-28-2015, 03:39 AM
Hey, welcome & greetings from Germany !! 8)

joefsas
03-28-2015, 03:58 AM
Welcome to the drome dude!

pennydreadful
03-28-2015, 05:02 AM
Hey dude - welcome to the forums, hope you enjoy the place! :tsmile:

Mew
03-28-2015, 05:07 AM
Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles:
Upon TMNT's first arrival in the United Kingdom and Ireland the name was changed to "Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles" (or TMHT, for short), since local censorship policies deemed the word ninja to have excessively violent connotations for a children's program (in Ireland, however, the first season aired as "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" before changing to "Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles"). Consequently, everything related to the Turtles (comic books, video games, toys, etc.) had to be renamed before being released in these nations, as well as in the German-speaking countries.

The lyrics were also changed, such as changing "Splinter taught them to be ninja teens" to "Splinter taught them to be fighting teens". The policies also had other effects, such as editing out use of Michelangelo's nunchaku (which were at the time banned from appearing in 18-rated movies) and generally toning down the usage of all the turtles' weapons. To head this problem off, the showrunners elected to remove Michelangelo's nunchaku entirely during season three, replacing them with a grappling hook called the "Turtle Line" that served as Mikey's signature weapon for the rest of the show's run.

In Italy, Spain and Portugal, they kept Michelangelo's nunchaku but the "TMHT" logo could be seen in the intro, as it was not edited to reflect the title in each of those translations. In Spain the cartoon was originally aired in regional TV channels and thus had different dubs in addition to Castillian: Galician and Catalan in the Galician version, the title As Tartarugas Mutantes ("The Mutant Turtles") was used. The Italian and European Portuguese dubs also had few edits. -Wikipedia

keungkau
03-28-2015, 05:58 AM
Thanks for the welcome everyone

Yes MewMeow
The BBFC (British Board Of Film Classification)
Edited any films which contained nunchuku in the policy
Was changed after 2001 when James Ferman the head of the BBFC left and the laws on the nunchuku were relaxed

All the Bruce Lee films before 2001 were released cut aswell as the 1987 TMNT tv series the films from the 1990's and lots of other kung fu films from the
1970's -1990's.

A video was released in VHS called How it All began with bits of the first and second seasons cut and paste together which was heavily edited so UK fans couldn't watch the first and second seasons in all their uncut glory!

I can't remember if the BBC actually broadcast season 1 and 2 fully?

However I do remember The Mean Machines episode shown in the late 80's and mostly later episodes from season 2

How It All Began was basically all the episodes from season 1 and half of Season 2 condensed into a one hour
Feature length with most of the fights edited out.

Then from afterwards the remaining episodes were released on VHS in a double bill format

Case Of The Killer Pizzas/Enter The Fly
Invasion Of The Punk Frogs/New Yorks Shiniest

I can't remember all of the releases there were a few from season 3 available also but yeah in the UK we had to wait along time to see Season1 & 2 in full as a fan though.
I got some DVDs from the US so I could watch them.

The first and second season have only just been made recently available on DVD for the British public....

Mew
03-28-2015, 07:56 AM
Thanks for the welcome everyone

Yes MewMeow
The BBFC (British Board Of Film Classification)
Edited any films which contained nunchuku in the policy
Was changed after 2001 when James Ferman the head of the BBFC left and the laws on the nunchuku were relaxed

All the Bruce Lee films before 2001 were released cut aswell as the 1987 TMNT tv series the films from the 1990's and lots of other kung fu films from the
1970's -1990's.

A video was released in VHS called How it All began with bits of the first and second seasons cut and paste together which was heavily edited so UK fans couldn't watch the first and second seasons in all their uncut glory!

I can't remember if the BBC actually broadcast season 1 and 2 fully?

However I do remember The Mean Machines episode shown in the late 80's and mostly later episodes from season 2

How It All Began was basically all the episodes from season 1 and half of Season 2 condensed into a one hour
Feature length with most of the fights edited out.

Then from afterwards the remaining episodes were released on VHS in a double bill format

Case Of The Killer Pizzas/Enter The Fly
Invasion Of The Punk Frogs/New Yorks Shiniest

I can't remember all of the releases there were a few from season 3 available also but yeah in the UK we had to wait along time to see Season1 & 2 in full as a fan though.
I got some DVDs from the US so I could watch them.

The first and second season have only just been made recently available on DVD for the British public....
Are the DVDS Hero or Ninja Turtles?

keungkau
03-28-2015, 10:19 AM
The DVDs of the original are now Ninja that have only been out a few years.

but back in the late 80's the VHS tapes were released as Hero although the 1990 film had Ninja in the title but no nunchukus:ohwell:

Slade
03-29-2015, 05:30 AM
Welcome aboard old school fan.

Gin Rummy
03-29-2015, 12:16 PM
Welcome to the Technodrome Forums! :)

Roland
03-29-2015, 02:19 PM
Welcome to the drome we call home Keungkau!

Davin
03-29-2015, 02:38 PM
Welcome to the Drome. :tsmile:

Icebot
03-30-2015, 03:45 PM
Welcome aboard! Hope you enjoy it here!

Hero
04-09-2015, 03:39 PM
Welcome Keung. (how do you pronounce your name?)

BBC Broom Cupboard brings back memories! :D

keungkau
04-11-2015, 04:41 AM
Hi Hero

Its sorta pronounced Kung with emphasis on the UNG LoL
Keung

Yeah the broom cupboard was brilliant....
Have you got any favourite episodes from back in the day?

Powder
04-11-2015, 04:02 PM
Welcome to the Technodrome! :)