PDA

View Full Version : Fans Of Tolkien?

MutantBear
03-29-2015, 07:34 AM
Anyone here fans of Tolkien's LOTR trilogy? If so, have any of you read History of Middle-Earth? Considering picking it up.

Amaranthus
03-29-2015, 07:49 AM
I found them incredibly boring.

MutantBear
03-29-2015, 08:07 AM
I found them incredibly boring.
Which book?

Amaranthus
03-29-2015, 08:10 AM
Which book?

The Hobbit and LotR. Read them both as kid but now they just seem dull.

Candy Kappa
03-29-2015, 08:11 AM
I'm fairly into Tolkien's work.

MutantBear
03-29-2015, 08:21 AM
The Hobbit and LotR. Read them both as kid but now they just seem dull.

Really? There is a lot of detail in LotR, but once you get into it it's really fun. Also, I have never really liked the Hobbit much. :ohwell:

PangolinFeets
03-29-2015, 09:51 AM
They were some of the first books I read. I loved them. :)

MutantBear
03-29-2015, 09:52 AM
They were some of the first books I read. I loved them. :)

Yeah, they're one of my favourite series of all time (if not, my favourite).

Kanon
03-29-2015, 10:14 AM
I read the Hobbit and was disappointed of the ending.

I wanted to read LOTR, but I already watched the movies and Its always bad to read a book after watching. :ohwell:
Did that with Harry Potter.....:cry:

PangolinFeets
03-29-2015, 10:35 AM
I read the Hobbit and was disappointed of the ending.

I wanted to read LOTR, but I already watched the movies and Its always bad to read a book after watching. :ohwell:
Did that with Harry Potter.....:cry:
Yea, I read LOTR before the movies came out. I can't imagine reading them with the movie characters embedded in my head already.

MutantBear
03-29-2015, 11:36 AM
Yea, I read LOTR before the movies came out. I can't imagine reading them with the movie characters embedded in my head already.

The movies really screwed up the ages of the characters. Like Elrond and Théoden are supposed to be old men, and it is actually a major plot error in the movies.

Candy Kappa
03-29-2015, 11:52 AM
Theoden could be a spry looking 70 year old (Hill is 70 now) and I don't remeber anything that changes Elrond's age, his characterization is really different in the movies though.

snake
03-29-2015, 11:56 AM
I love the LOTR books. The Hobbit is a little hard to read if you've watched An Unexpected Journey first, which shouldn't happen. The hobbit trilogy is one of the worst things I've seen in my life.

Candy Kappa
03-29-2015, 12:35 PM
Honestly, I thought the Hobbit trilogy was better then the book. And a lot better then the first Hobbit movie, the elves looks hilarious in that one.

pennydreadful
03-29-2015, 04:09 PM
Tolkien rocks - OP, I'd definitely recommend picking up a copy of The Silmarillion.

Mew
03-29-2015, 04:15 PM
Read the first Hobbit book.
'Twas alright.

MutantBear
03-29-2015, 04:21 PM
I love the LOTR books. The Hobbit is a little hard to read if you've watched An Unexpected Journey first, which shouldn't happen. The hobbit trilogy is one of the worst things I've seen in my life.
Only seen the first film, which wasn't the best. Haven't entirely read the Hobbit. I have read LotR though.

MutantBear
03-29-2015, 04:22 PM
Honestly, I thought the Hobbit trilogy was better then the book. And a lot better then the first Hobbit movie, the elves looks hilarious in that one.
The animated one? I have yet to watch it. The pictures I have seen of the dwarves haven't exactly impressed me. :tcool:

MutantBear
03-29-2015, 04:22 PM
Tolkien rocks - OP, I'd definitely recommend picking up a copy of The Silmarillion.
I got a copy, going to start reading it. Thanks for the recommendation.

Candy Kappa
03-30-2015, 12:28 AM
The animated one? I have yet to watch it. The pictures I have seen of the dwarves haven't exactly impressed me. :tcool:

It's an interesting watch, but the dwarves are nearly all identical and very superfluous. Same animation studio did Return of the King, a very, very short version :lol: it have some amazing songs though.

pennydreadful
03-30-2015, 01:53 AM
I really wasn't big on the movie version of The Hobbit; I got so ticked off that I couldn't even finish watching the first one.

IMO, people should read the LOTR trilogy and then go back and read The Hobbit if they really want the back-story for Bilbo's journey. The Hobbit and the trilogy books are so vastly different in tone and scope; I think sometimes people who read The Hobbit and aren't impressed by it then aren't motivated to read the LOTR trilogy, which really should be required reading in schools everywhere. 8)