PDA

View Full Version : TMNT 1990 25th anniversary thread

turtlefanforever
03-30-2015, 08:43 AM
it's the 25th anniversary today. Who's watching? show your appreciation. :tgrin::tsmile:

The Turtle Terminator
03-30-2015, 09:07 AM
Today? Time to get the dvd player on!

Voltane
03-30-2015, 11:20 AM
Watching it now. Amazing how good some of the lighting and framing is in the film.
:D

turtlefanforever
03-30-2015, 01:31 PM
just watched it again now. Still great.

Ramboraph4life aka Matt
03-30-2015, 01:49 PM
It's the 25th anniversary and yet no special edition Blu-Ray for the film.

Typical.

turtlefanforever
03-30-2015, 02:15 PM
It's the 25th anniversary and yet no special edition Blu-Ray for the film.

Typical.

what more do you want? it did get a blue ray release. What "special" things do you want it to include?

ABrown
03-30-2015, 02:15 PM
It was this movie that made me a TMNT fan. Absolutely outstanding movie, even 25 years later.

TheMasterTurtle
03-30-2015, 02:50 PM
what more do you want? it did get a blue ray release. What "special" things do you want it to include?

Deleted scenes, the alternate ending, director commentary, "behind the scenes" at the creature shop

Ramboraph4life aka Matt
03-30-2015, 03:34 PM

Yeah, it got a Blu-Ray with Nothing on it.

How about trying to get interviews with the people who Voiced the Turtles? Like Robbie Rist (who did all 3), or Brian Tochi (who did all 3), or Corey Feldman (if he can come in to do the voice of Slash on the new cartoon, he can come in to talk about the film)...see if Josh Pais could talk about it as well.

Have all of the cut material/deleted scenes on the Blu-Ray...the extended ending (which was only OFFICIALLY released overseas), the extended training scenes, all the stuff that people have scene photos of throughout the years...

A NEW commentary track. I'm sorry, but the director's commentary on the overseas DVD was both uninformative and boring...a New commentary with more than just the director on there.

You can have the director, and perhaps the writers, or one of the stars, or an FX guy who worked on it, pr people who were in the suits...

Or At Least get a Good Moderator who could pull a good Q & A out of the director, because you didn't get much in his old commentary.

Music videos, TV spots, trailers, behind the scenes at the creature shop and on set.

If you want, put the chunk from the Turtle Doc in there, and then have a second featurette that talks with folks who didn't get interviewed/were cut out/were never bothered to be asked (like, I'll say again, the Voice Cast who were essential to bringing those Turtles to life. The voices were just as important as the Physical FX/Suits).

An interview with the composer. Heck, why not an interview with Partners in Kryme. A feature on the impact the film has had during the past 25 years.

And please, no one tell me that it could Never happen. Look what Scream Factory does for films that didn't even have a kernel of the popularity/success of this film. It's not 'it couldn't happen'. It's a matter of 'whoever owns it not being lazy & cheap.'

Hamato Yoshi
03-30-2015, 03:36 PM
Today? Time to get the dvd player on!

Damn straight :D

Saw it today with a buddy , the movie came out a yr before he was even born.....he was impressed ;)

Andrew NDB
03-30-2015, 03:54 PM
I don't wanna. It's a sad reminder on too many levels.

* It's a sad reminder that that's as close as things have ever come to approximating the Mirage source material... and it wasn't very close.
* It's a sad reminder that subsequent movies (yes, all of them) only ended up drifting -- and significantly -- even further away.
* It's a sad reminder of how much more could have been done with the Turtles... and subsequently less with Danny: The Movie.
* It's a sad reminder of how bad they really, really wanted to make The Shredder into Darth Vader.
* It's a sad reminder of how much it seemed to rely on sight gags and camp that made it into the shooting script.
* It's a sad reminder that 25 years of my life have passed since I watched it as a bright-eyed little kid.

DonatelloDomeHead31
03-30-2015, 05:51 PM
I need to get back into the swing of the 1990 movie. Donatello's jokes made me laugh...so that will have to lift my spirits back up. And...can't forget some of the movie mistakes in it too (ex. Wires hanging out of the turtles' shells in one of the scenes).

So be it...I shall watch the DVD...sometime this week :D

MutantBear
03-30-2015, 06:47 PM
Welp, just recently watched the first movie again. Guess I'll do it again. :tgrin:

Powder
03-30-2015, 07:43 PM
I watched this super recently, like last month, so I don't think I'll be viewing it this evening. But it's the best movie ever & I'm glad it still holds up so well.

Bmaga123
03-30-2015, 08:28 PM
I watched this super recently, like last month, so I don't think I'll be viewing it this evening. But it's the best movie ever & I'm glad it still holds up so well.

This exactly for me as well :tcool:

Sabacooza
03-30-2015, 09:27 PM
I watched this super recently, like last month, so I don't think I'll be viewing it this evening. But it's the best movie ever & I'm glad it still holds up so well.I agree wholeheartedly. This was back when those involved with making movies actually cared about what they were doing. God, I wish we could get back to that again. I didn't watch it for a while but I may have to soon.

NYShell
03-30-2015, 10:18 PM
I'm watching it right now. Trying to hold my tears back.

JakeSully
06-04-2015, 04:11 PM
Can you believe it's been 25 year since one of the coolest comic book movies hit the big screen?

Anyone have fond memories seeing this on the big screen? i did when i was 8 4 times even on opening day and i was surprised to hear Raph say damn.

LeoRaph
06-25-2015, 04:16 AM
Sooooo, has anything special been planned for the 25th Anniversary or is it just going to be 'Another Wasted Opportunity'?

mikey22
06-25-2015, 11:10 AM
i agree something fun should happen this year for it somewhere!

even movie theaters should play it for fun :D

Mew
06-25-2015, 04:16 PM
i agree something fun should happen this year for it somewhere!

even movie theaters should play it for fun :D
My movie theater recently got Turtles in Time (Yes, the arcade game). Does that count?

LeotheLateBloomer
06-25-2015, 05:15 PM
It's still an excellent masterpiece to this day. I hope one day that we'll get a movie that will surpass it.

Leo656
06-25-2015, 10:42 PM
Sooooo, has anything special been planned for the 25th Anniversary or is it just going to be 'Another Wasted Opportunity'?

...You really gotta ask?

It's still an excellent masterpiece to this day. I hope one day that we'll get a movie that will surpass it.

A fan film, maybe. Never a Hollywood movie released in theaters. Never ever. It's simply not possible. The first was done independent of Hollywood and "the System". Take a look a SotO and see how the entire franchise immediately went to Hell the second Hollywood got their hands on it.

The film franchise is dead, as far as I'm concerned.

Powder
06-25-2015, 10:57 PM
A fan film, maybe. Never a Hollywood movie released in theaters. Never ever. It's simply not possible. The first was done independent of Hollywood and "the System". Take a look a SotO and see how the entire franchise immediately went to Hell the second Hollywood got their hands on it.

The film franchise is dead, as far as I'm concerned.

This. & even if it weren't so, you're never again gonna have the magic that is Henson studios, a punk rock director, or a script drawing from the Mirage books.

Leo656
06-25-2015, 11:54 PM
I've said it before, and I'll say it as many times as I have to: "'Good' Movies are accidental. Hollywood doesn't know what the f*** they're doing."

The more I read and study the movie business, the more disgusted I get. The entire system is cracked and run by morons. Did you know Channing Tatum didn't want to be in G.I. Joe at all? That he was simply under contract to the studio, his previous film did poor business, so they literally forced him to play Duke? No audition, no negotiation, and HE didn't want to even be involved in it, but "You have a contract, you do what we say you do, and we say you're Duke." I was like whaaaaat. No wonder he sucked so bad and tanked the entire franchise from within. Can't say I blame him, but that's still kinda screwed up. For one thing, that's kinda slavery, isn't it? Secondly... I kind of didn't think you really could FORCE someone to do a role in a movie, but apparently, it's standard. Explains a TON. Answers just about every "Why are THEY in that role?" question I've ever had.

But anyways, I mean, that's it. That's it! That's how movies are made! Just tons of nonsense like that. Nothing "creative" or anything. Just guys in suits pushing paper around, trying to get another house in Malibu paid for. What goes on the screen isn't important, it's just how many Trailer Shots they can manufacture and then staple into something resembling a narrative.

So yeah, the TMNT movie series peaked on opening day 1990, and it's been all downhill since then, and it's never, ever going to change. Shame. On the other hand, nothing is stopping anyone nowadays from doing a decent fan film that could be equal to or greater than the original. The technology is there. A person may have to shoot creatively but it can be done, I feel. That'd be neat to see. Like, I'd never ever want a big screen movie that was 100% Mirage, but I'd watch the hell out of a fan film of it.

Wildcat
06-26-2015, 12:30 AM
Good movies are accidental lol. I like how some people conveniently pick what Hollywood gets right but oh ya other than that it's "Hollywood crap".

Not just the turtles I've seen it for many movies.

Like a good or great movie comes along and people love it but if a bad movie comes along its not just bad, cause bad movies can never just be that, it's because..."Hollywood Sucks".

Leo656
06-26-2015, 12:33 AM
Shhh. The grown-ups are trying to have a conversation.

ProactiveMan
06-26-2015, 12:39 AM
Did you know Channing Tatum didn't want to be in G.I. Joe at all?

I read that today. I imagine he walked on set, saw Stephen Sommers, went to his trailer, and filled up a really big hip-flask.

mikey22
06-26-2015, 10:59 PM
the main reason it worked was beacause they all acted like a family.

everybody was in it together

if you read the book the 2nd movie was made in less than a year following the first.
they also made so many foolish changes because people thought thats what needed fixing.

i cant see anything ever topping this first movie unless jim hensons company allows them to use his pad to recreate the turtles but this time have some air condtioning suits