PDA

View Full Version : The original 1990 film

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
04-04-2015, 04:27 PM
So even though I've had the DVD sitting on my shelf for months, I finally got around to watching it. I was surprised by how well it held up!

This movie has a lot of noticeable flaws, plus it utilizes rather outdated technology. I can’t stand the lack of characterization for Leo and Donny, but this movie gets so much right. Raphael and to a lesser extent Mikey, April and Casey, Splinter… plus it adapts so much from the original source material: Raphael’s faceoff with Casey Jones, the ambush of a lone Turtle on the rooftops, the antique store fight, retreating to Northampton, and the epic rooftop fight with Shredder. Plus, the theme of family is unmistakable and woven throughout the film—just as it is woven throughout the TMNT comics.

If only Michael Bay had updated this movie for a new generation, all would have been well.

DonatelloDomeHead31
04-07-2015, 12:31 PM
I read something in which the 1990 film compared to the one that came out recently (with Michael Bay) that he wanted this recent one to be less dark than the 1990 one. That's why there were some scenes with Michaelangelo's humor and a few of the 80s cartoon humor.

Overall, I haven't had a chance to watch the 1990 film, but now that you mention it...maybe I will! :D

Powder
04-07-2015, 05:22 PM
Overall, I haven't had a chance to watch the 1990 film, but now that you mention it...maybe I will! :D

...Ever? Really? Wow. & you've had a lot pictures from it as avatars & sigs over the years. Go watch it!

Bmaga123
04-07-2015, 05:40 PM
...Ever? Really? Wow. & you've had a lot pictures from it as avatars & sigs over the years. Go watch it!

I was about to say the exact same thing. I find it hard to believe a member since 2007 with several 1990 movie avatars has never seen the original masterpiece WOW! :roll:

rickwj324
04-07-2015, 05:45 PM
:o

GO WATCH IT.....NOW!! :lol:

Discogod
05-01-2015, 11:44 AM
If you've not seen the 1990 movie you shouldn't be allowed on this forum.

darthwahl56
05-03-2015, 01:13 AM
I don't remember seeing the movie in theaters. I remember getting the video cassette and I was over at my babysitters house amoungst several kids who were jealous that I had the movie to watch almost anytime I wanted. I even remember the video cassette TV commercial that stated you could own the movie and I yelled, "I do!" The other kids actually cheered.

Great movie for a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle fan. Now where is that special edition version that needs to show up already.

Leo656
05-03-2015, 03:26 PM
One of my favorite things about seeing it in theaters, was that my parents forced my older sister and my cousin to take me, and they pitched a fit and thought it was gonna be stupid, and instead they loved it.

I've won so many people over with that movie. "Ninja Turtles? C'mon, that's corny." "Hang on, hang on, just watch it... it's short, I promise..." Gets 'em every time.

ProactiveMan
05-04-2015, 08:36 AM
It's kind of exciting that you haven't seen it. I would love to see it for the first time again.

Longview01
05-04-2015, 03:51 PM
Going to see the original in the cinema is one of my fondest memories growing up

DonatelloDomeHead31
05-05-2015, 10:11 AM
Let me rephrase what I said--I have seen this movie, I am a fan of it all the way...but thanks to a busy work life, it does not reach a Friday night movie watch :D

Fear not fellow Turtle Fans...I am watching it this weekend.

Groovy
05-16-2015, 03:00 AM
This played at a local theater recently with an original film print, plus they had free pizza there. Very very fun time, cool to see a theater packed enjoying such a classic. :tsmile:

Such a badass film.

Walkabout
05-16-2015, 03:23 AM
It's still the definitive TMNT movie as far as I'm concerned.

plastroncafe
05-16-2015, 09:27 AM
Local independent movie house just showed the 1990 flick as part of a Muppet/Henson weekend film festival. And yeah...it really does hold up very well. Praise be unto who ever has kept The Suck Fairy at bay.

Hands down still the best non-Mirage version of Michaelangelo.

TMNTChris1980
05-16-2015, 10:49 AM
I saw it in the theater the weekend it came out. At the beginning of the movie before it even really shows the turtles, I remember turning to my mom and telling her "that's the foot clan" "that's Raphael", "That's April"....and I remember how it took so long for the reveal of the turtles....I effing geeked when they showed them....and didn't say another word throughout the movie.

It still holds up today, probably the only Turtle movie I watch yearly.

I think the reason it worked (and we probably won't ever see one so good again) is because, it was before people thought that TMNT could be a money maker. It was an independent movie with quality actors, and amazing fighting. I honestly think this movie is the last of the dangerous 70's 80's children's movies. It sits comfortably with The Goonies, The Neverending Story, etc.

Definitely watch it.

Groovy
05-16-2015, 11:38 AM
Local independent movie house just showed the 1990 flick as part of a Muppet/Henson weekend film festival. And yeah...it really does hold up very well. Praise be unto who ever has kept The Suck Fairy at bay.

Sounds like we were both there, small world. :D They played some weird funny 90s pizza related youtube clips before the movie too, at least on the Friday showing.

Cipher
05-17-2015, 08:56 PM
Woooooooord.

Though while I'm completely on board for this movie being the best screen adaptation we've had so far, I feel like the terribleness of the slapstick fight scenes cannot be overlooked.

It's remarkable that it came out as good as it did, and if you cut the movie down to just its quiet moments, it'd be great, but as it is, it's still kind of a mess.

CyberCubed
05-17-2015, 09:08 PM
Whaaa, the Foot Soldiers playing the piano keys with Donatello's head was genius! :lol:

DonatelloDomeHead31
05-20-2015, 08:34 AM
Some movie theaters will do a "Classic Night" and play movies from the past. My only criticism is that some of the them get a 3D effect added to it.

So I'm starting to think...if the 1990 movie was given a 3-D addition, what scenes would be awesome in 3D.

And if this has already happened...then I'm way behind.:D

Gump24601
05-25-2015, 05:04 PM
1990 turtles movie is best movie!

I saw it in the cinemas sitting in canvas deck chairs. I even remember crying for Raphael (I was only 9 at the time).

jenna
06-08-2015, 01:58 PM
I even remember crying for Raphael (I was only 9 at the time).

Oh yeah, me too. I think part of the reason I still feel a protective instinct for Raphael as a character is down to the horror of seeing him suffer so badly when I was 9.

CowabungaMikey
06-18-2015, 11:19 AM

Can this be an official rule?

The 1990 is a fantastic TMNT movie. It combines the Mirage comics and the 1987 cartoon perfectly.

BubblyShell22
06-18-2015, 02:13 PM
This movie holds a special place in my heart. I didn't see it in theaters, but we had the video tape, and we watched it all of the time along with the second movie. Definitely one of my favorites. If only the 2014 movie was as good as this. *sighs*

pizzafacejace
08-08-2015, 05:49 PM
This is my first memory of going to a theater. I remember it like it was yesterday. Total classic.

Kris
08-23-2015, 07:22 PM
It definitely held up very well for me as it was actually just as good as I remembered it, as I also just watched it last week. I saw it several times as I was growing up, but I didn't own it on DVD until 2012. It's sometimes fun to compare my reactions and opinions of something I first saw as a child and then later on as adult.

However, I think I was only 5 or 6 when I first saw it on VHS at an old friend's house, and I don't think I even knew who Casey Jones was at the time. My very first memories of that film have also been very blurry for quite some time, but I'm sure for a fact that it's one of the very first few movies I've ever seen. And after also realizing who Casey Jones was, it definitely made the movie a lot more enjoyable to watch, as he ended up being one of my favorite characters, and it definitely gets me into the mood for pizza.

I also thought that it would be worth posting this video in regards to the movie as well.

_Ah8jcfC94o

Shark_Blade
08-23-2015, 08:32 PM

Most of 2k12 fans (mainly kids) haven't for sure...

I've seen comments after the Pizza Face episode where it addresses how the turtles buy their pizzas (they're like "oh, that's how they got pizzas!") whereas it's pretty apparent how it was done in the first film..

Casey
08-24-2015, 11:42 AM
Seeing that trailer for the first time was the most exciting thing that had ever happened to me. My family didn't go to the theater ever, so I had to wait to watch it on VHS. I'm gonna watch it this weekend.

Bombshell
08-24-2015, 12:20 PM
It never occurred to me that there could be people out there who haven't seen this movie.

I think I need to lie down.

Metropoliskid41
08-29-2015, 11:45 PM
Still one of the all-time comics to film adaptions ever!

Zak The Neutrino
08-30-2015, 12:03 AM
I recently dug this out to watch it again and my youngest saw it on the book case. He typically doesn't like live action movies yet but he likes to watch this one a lot. It definitely has held up.

Now here's the million dollar question. How many others had that little league/ Pizza Hut commercial from the cassette tape memorized? :lol:

Miles
08-30-2015, 06:17 PM
Now here's the million dollar question. How many others had that little league/ Pizza Hut commercial from the cassette tape memorized? :lol:

*raises hand* Both my brother and I. :D In fact, I recently downloaded it from YouTube just so I could watch it again. Our original VHS tape is long gone, but I have since purchased a sealed copy (complete with Pizza Hut promo sticker, lol) for nostalgic purposes.

mikey22
09-09-2015, 11:54 PM
I recently dug this out to watch it again and my youngest saw it on the book case. He typically doesn't like live action movies yet but he likes to watch this one a lot. It definitely has held up.

i know most of it.

the games dragging on.. theres strikes on the batter...

And a baseball falls into my glove... i playyyy.. right field.. ya gotta know how to catch. ya gotta know how to throw.. way up where the dandelions groww.

i know some haha