PDA

View Full Version : Mtg

Bizarro
04-05-2015, 01:05 PM
Didn't seem to fit in any other section, if wrong section forgive me. New member.

Didn't see any discussions on MTG just Pokemon. Wondering if anyone plays, played, or collects?

sdp
04-05-2015, 01:20 PM
I played a for a while in my early teens, I stopped because of various reasons. It's too expensive to keep up since there are new sets released frequently. Stop playing for a year and you can be totally out of the loop. The metagame involves too many hours if you want to be competitive which I'd rather put on something else. And overall the "hardcore" Magic players made me quit since it wasn't as fun anymore. I really like to play with friends but that didn't happen often so I stopped playing. I think it's a very fun game though, and sometimes when I see people playing I get the itch to play. Maybe in the future I'll be able to pick the game up casually again. I believe I started playing around the time of Marcadian Masks and stopped playing around Nemesis but maybe I'm mistaking.

Candy Kappa
04-05-2015, 01:31 PM
I used to play a bit. Mostly Green Elf deck with Nissa (the good version).

Bizarro
04-05-2015, 05:35 PM
I played a for a while in my early teens, I stopped because of various reasons. It's too expensive to keep up since there are new sets released frequently. Stop playing for a year and you can be totally out of the loop. The metagame involves too many hours if you want to be competitive which I'd rather put on something else. And overall the "hardcore" Magic players made me quit since it wasn't as fun anymore. I really like to play with friends but that didn't happen often so I stopped playing. I think it's a very fun game though, and sometimes when I see people playing I get the itch to play. Maybe in the future I'll be able to pick the game up casually again. I believe I started playing around the time of Marcadian Masks and stopped playing around Nemesis but maybe I'm mistaking.

I understand that. I haven't played since before 2000 (yea, I'm old, legal drinking age). Though, I did just uncover my old collection.. I can't believe what I have.. I have a huge desire to play these cards but I would have to get them proxy. For certain ones.. and the main problem I'm having is I can't find any lgs within an hour drive that host a legacy night =(

I used to play a bit. Mostly Green Elf deck with Nissa (the good version).

That came out a year or two ago, IIRC? So, you're pretty up to date?

I'm looking for people to discuss MTG with.

Feel free to add me, I'm a new member so in need of friends x()

Ninjinister
04-05-2015, 10:36 PM
Can you elaborate on what Mtg is? Not all of us memorize every video game initialism off the top of our heads.

Powder
04-06-2015, 12:12 AM
I thiiiiiiink they're talking about Magic The Gathering. It's the only thing I can guess MTG stands for, anyway.

Jester
04-06-2015, 12:24 AM
Ioi2e6xL3XE

Candy Kappa
04-06-2015, 02:00 AM
That came out a year or two ago, IIRC? So, you're pretty up to date?)

She's from the Zendikar set, so 2009. Which is around the time I started playing properly, but I haven't played in 2-3 years now.

Nissa is an amazing Planeswalker
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?printed=false&multiverseid=190411

Although, I usually got targeted real hard when playing her out, and sadly I've only one card of her (and 4 chosen). I've only used her biggest ability a few times, but when it happens it's amazing. :lol:

Bizarro
04-06-2015, 02:37 AM
Can you elaborate on what Mtg is? Not all of us memorize every video game initialism off the top of our heads.

I thiiiiiiink they're talking about Magic The Gathering. It's the only thing I can guess MTG stands for, anyway.

Absolutely!

You're 100% right Powder, MTG stands for Magic the Gathering . It's a Trading Card Game (TCG) released in the U.S. in 1993 with the first "Alpha deck" (rarest and has cards that sell for 30,000$+).

I don't want to flood with too much information, I know nobody wants to read through a ton of text, I will try to format as best as possible with sources so anyone interested can easily find more information.

(TCG???)

Trading card games (TCGs) like Magic: The Gathering combine collectable cards with a strategy game. You build your collection of cards by buying products such as Booster Packs or Intro Packs as well as by trading your cards with friends.

For the rest, I'm going to copy paste and list sources below.

MTG Wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic:_The_Gathering

Published in 1993 by Wizards of the Coast, Magic was the first trading card game produced and it continues to thrive, with approximately twelve million players as of 2011.[1][2][3][4][5][4][6][4][7][8] Magic can be played by two or more players each using a deck of 60+ printed cards or a deck of virtual cards through the Internet-based Magic: The Gathering Online or other programs.

Each game represents a battle between wizards known as "planeswalkers", who employ spells, artifacts, and creatures depicted on individual Magic cards to defeat their opponents. Although the original concept of the game drew heavily from the motifs of traditional fantasy role-playing games such as Dungeons & Dragons, the gameplay of Magic bears little similarity to pencil-and-paper adventure games, while having substantially more cards and more complex rules than many other card games.

An organized tournament system and a community of professional Magic players has developed, as has a secondary market for Magic cards. Magic cards can be valuable due to their rarity and utility in gameplay. Often the prices of a single card can be anywhere from a few cents to a few hundred dollars, and in some instances thousands of dollars.

Official Site, find pro tournaments, local game stores hosting events, all information.

http://magic.wizards.com/

Wizards of the West Coast (creators) intro:

Magic is a tradable card game (TCG) where you build your collection of cards by trading with your friends, assembling decks of cards, and battling against an opponent and their deck. You cast powerful spells and summon monstrous creatures aiming to knock your opponent down from 20 life to zero. The game is constantly changing as new cards are released throughout the year. As you get new cards, whether from these new sets or through trading with your friends, you can continuously update your decks and discover a whole new game!

You can play the game in a number of ways—from your console to your dining room table to your desktop PC, Magic: The Gathering is waiting for you.

Information below is about Trading, Card Value, Collecting, and prices on a few cards

This is a site that allows people to load their decks online. This allows other players/traders/collectors to view cards for sale or trade. (I wish action figs had something like this)!

http://deckbox.org/sets/943858?f=

Among other things, it's a great help to me pricing my deck I found a few days ago, and figuring out what I have. If you look I have only uploaded 72 cards entered (I am guessing I have about 500-800 here). I had to stop entering cards, because I thought something was wrong when I saw the prices of some of my cards. Gonna AIM to enter 100 a day till done.

Alpha Black Lotus Is considered the most valuable card in MTG. It's from the first deck ever released "Alpha" with only 900 ever printed. It's in what player call the power of 9 cards (rare, expensive as hell cards). The next deck beta only had 2,100 printed, and the 3rd (official release deck unlimited not sure how many, but price drop is 20,000$). There are no reprints of these cards after the first 3 decks. To play them you have to be playing in a legacy competition, they are more collectibles than for playing. You don't need to buy 1000's of dollars in cards just to play MTG and be good.

E-Bay Auctions 23,000$ sold recent, almost 10,000$ under what the one before it sold for.. This is why pricing from e-bay is so hard x_X

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MTG-Magic-BGS-9-Alpha-Black-Lotus-9-9-8-5-9-/181659094997?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a4bb9cfd5&nma=true&si=PIwvLRzHIo9vXRUOIoCGpYXvyFs%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

This is one of my cards I am sending in for grading.

Beta Deck - Underground River

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Magic-MTG-BGS-9-Beta-Underground-Sea-w-2-x-9-5-Subgrades-HIGH-END-/391078488871?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5b0e182b27

If you're interested in all, check out this video. Last year a guy unboxed a sealed Alpha deck.. and, I;ll let you watch.

http://kotaku.com/dude-opens-magic-card-deck-finds-30-000-card-1645987102

(Card went for 30,000$)

Conclusion:

MTG was the first Trading Card Game and has developed a cult following since it's inception. 22 years later it's still thriving, with all kinds of new sets, and foils, and online, all sorts of things I didn't have when I was 3-4 in 93'.

I hope this helps somewhat, and if you'd like to know more the main site and wiki are great places to start. Feel free to ask me anything, but I just started researching my cards less than 48 hours ago. I am having to re-learn things as well.

Netkeeper
04-06-2015, 09:21 AM
I have tried getting into this game at least four different times, but I just don't like it.

Sucks, because everywhere I go, that's all people play. None of the other card games I'm interested in have a playerbase anywhere any more.

I kinda don't like it because of that.

Ninjinister
04-06-2015, 01:34 PM
Oh. Yeah I don't know anybody that plays and the ones I *did* know just called it Magic.

Also it's not a video game so I got SUPER confused.

Bizarro
04-07-2015, 06:20 AM
I have tried getting into this game at least four different times, but I just don't like it.

Sucks, because everywhere I go, that's all people play. None of the other card games I'm interested in have a playerbase anywhere any more.

I kinda don't like it because of that.

Poker (Texas Hold Em')

My favorite card "game" ;)

PangolinFeets
04-07-2015, 06:31 AM
I used to be into MtG big time, but money and time cut me back. I keep a few EDH decks for fun and just update those occasionally. Great, fun, portable game. I always take it camping and on trips. :)
My boyfriend is a big-time vintage player. (We met through MtG, actually). He's got a nice set of Power and everything.

Netkeeper
04-07-2015, 10:17 AM
Poker (Texas Hold Em')

My favorite card "game" ;)
I like poker, just not Texas Hold Em.