PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation please? Paint and brushes

Shark_Blade
04-10-2015, 07:17 AM
There's been tonnes of unpainted parts in figures lately. Wait no, since the dawn of time more like it.

So I decided to take matters into my own hands. All you lovely experienced people, please suggest to me paint and brushes for me to start up.

Thank you!

Huzzah
04-10-2015, 07:20 AM
Citadel paints, Model Masters and Vallejo paints are going to be your most recommended paints. Personally I'm less picky on brushes.

Shark_Blade
04-10-2015, 07:23 AM
Cheers Huzzah! :D I'm gonna google those up. Hopefully they have those here but if not I'll need to get it online.

Huzzah
04-10-2015, 07:48 AM
Hobby Lobby carries Model Masters, I have to order Citadel from Games Workshop. Make sure that you get acrylics, not enamels.

Discogod
04-10-2015, 09:17 AM
Other things to know...

Wash the figures in warm soapy water beforehand - give 'em a decent scrub. This gets rid of any residual mould release and will help the paint adhere.

Several thin coats of paint is better than one thick coat.

You don't have to seal the figure, but it will help protect the paint job. If you're just painting on the odd missed detail here and there, and you're not going to be handling the figures too often, then I'd say don't bother.

Splint'r
04-10-2015, 10:30 AM
I use Tamiya acrylic paints for all my custom paint jobs on action figures (Spawn, etc). I do like sealing my work with Testor's clear flat spray and touch up eye balls, inner mouth areas, etc with Model Master's gloss coat.
Prior to paint job, I use an electric tooth brush and dish soap to clean my figures thoroughly and then a quick wipe with rubbing alcohol (removes any separating plasticizers, stubborn oils, etc). I let them air dry or use a blow dryer. Using a towel, sometimes leaves behind fibers.

If you have an airbrush, that's the best tool to use for covering large areas. You'll get a factory finish look.
I've used sable brushes as well. :)

Shark_Blade
04-16-2015, 06:55 PM
Thanks for all the suggestion guys, much appreciated! :tlove: