PDA

View Full Version : X-men founding member Iceman (Bobby) update (SPOILERS INSIDE)

CyberCubed
04-21-2015, 12:07 PM
So apparently in the new X-men founding member Iceman (Bobby) was revealed to be gay when Jean read his mind:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/04/21/founding-x-men-member-comes-out-as-gay?abthid=553680a2578121c938000013

Rather odd they chose to do this when Iceman has always been portrayed as straight. But I guess nowadays you always have to have a token gay character even if its one that was established straight for years.

I'm just glad it wasn't Cyclops. When I saw the headline "founding X-men member" I thought it was going to be Beast who came out as gay.

TigerClaw
04-21-2015, 12:10 PM
So apparently in the new X-men founding member Iceman (Bobby) was revealed to be gay when Jean read his mind:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/04/21/founding-x-men-member-comes-out-as-gay?abthid=553680a2578121c938000013

Rather odd they chose to do this when Iceman has always been portrayed as straight. But I guess nowadays you always have to have a token gay character even if its one that was established straight for years.

I'm just glad it wasn't Cyclops. When I saw the headline "founding X-men member" I thought it was going to be Beast who came out as gay.
Only the younger version of Iceman is Gay, But the older version is straight.

CyberCubed
04-21-2015, 12:11 PM
Only the younger version of Iceman is Gay, But the older version is straight.

Which kinda makes no sense as this isn't an alternate reality of Bobby, but the same younger version of the current character.

Leo656
04-21-2015, 12:15 PM
That's funny since Family Guy did an "Iceman Is Gay" gag quite a long time ago. Nice. Nice.

TigerClaw
04-21-2015, 12:16 PM
Which kinda makes no sense as this isn't an alternate reality of Bobby, but the same younger version of the current character.
Perhaps the older version isn't straight, But rather, Bisexual?

plastroncafe
04-21-2015, 12:18 PM
I love the smell of bi-erasure in the morning.
No wait...the opposite of that.

TigerClaw
04-21-2015, 12:24 PM
That's funny since Family Guy did an "Iceman Is Gay" gag quite a long time ago. Nice. Nice.
Yep, Here's the clip of that.
http://www.whoisthemonkey.com/videos/39/family-guy-iceman-has-a-secret

Leo656
04-21-2015, 12:26 PM
To be fair, his "wife" seems like a real shrew, so who can blame the guy? :tgrin:

Especially if she's... frigid...
:tgrin::tgrin::tgrin:

CyberCubed
04-21-2015, 12:36 PM
I love the smell of bi-erasure in the morning.
No wait...the opposite of that.

Well Bobby is a guy. Men are less likely to be bisexual than females. Men are either straight or gay, very little inbetween.

plastroncafe
04-21-2015, 12:43 PM
Well Bobby is a guy. Men are less likely to be bisexual than females. Men are either straight or gay, very little inbetween.

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/wikipedian_protester.png

Leo656
04-21-2015, 12:44 PM
Hah, that's hilarious.

Just as many guys are bisexual. Now, as far as girls being more OPENLY bisexual than guys, I'll give you that one. For one thing, guys are more stigmatized and ostracized for any kind of homosexual behavior at all, so you tend to have the two extremes of guys, the closeted homophobe who overcompensates by being Super-Straight, and the "Totally don't give a f*ck", "Out Loud and Proud" stereotypical "gay guys", because of the extremes of the male personality; "insecure and self-loathing" Vs. "This is me, deal with it."

Those in-between tend to not want to advertise, because guys are judgmental as f*ck anyways, they have a hard enough time "grasping" the concept of two dudes together. So getting them to understand that a guy could be into both dudes AND chicks, well, you might as well be trying to explain quantum physics. "So, wait... you like boobs... AND penis...?" They can't get it. Well, they get it if it's a chick. From the typical guy perspective, girls are "allowed" to be gay or bi, because "That's hot". But if you *have* a penis, you're "not supposed" to want to look at other ones. That's Guy Math. It's pretty fuzzy.

So yeah, the idea that there are actually fewer male bisexuals than females is probably wrong, but I'll grant that chicks tend to be more openly bisexual, reason being it's generally more accepted, because "girls kissing", etc.

Candy Kappa
04-21-2015, 12:48 PM

So is there a reason you refer women to "females" while men are still "men"?

Whatswiththeheadbands?
04-21-2015, 12:51 PM
Did this really need it's own thread?

Leo656
04-21-2015, 12:52 PM
Yes. I am all about where this conversation is going.

TheBlueTurtle1
04-21-2015, 12:56 PM
Pathetic! why the hell they can't just leave things alone. I don't have anything against gay people, but ffs give it a rest. Why change a character that is suppose to have been straight since the f*cking 60s. Next it will turn out that angel was a Black man all along.

This is how bad comics are now. Kill off a character 1 issue, just to have them somehow live the next. Or change orientations of classic characters that have been around longer than most readers. INVENT YOUR OWN CHARACTERS MODERN MARVEL, then they can be how you want them from the get go.

plastroncafe
04-21-2015, 01:03 PM
Can we get the title of this thread flagged for Spoilers?

CyberCubed
04-21-2015, 01:09 PM
Did this really need it's own thread?

The same reason news outlets made an article about it. Bobby has been around since the 60's, of course one of the original members of the X-men being revealed to be gay is a big deal.

If this was a new character most wouldn't care, there's already been gay X-men.

plastroncafe
04-21-2015, 01:13 PM
Pathetic! why the hell they can't just leave things alone. I don't have anything against gay people, but ffs give it a rest. Why change a character that is suppose to have been straight since the f*cking 60s. Next it will turn out that angel was a Black man all along.

This is how bad comics are now. Kill off a character 1 issue, just to have them somehow live the next. Or change orientations of classic characters that have been around longer than most readers. INVENT YOUR OWN CHARACTERS MODERN MARVEL, then they can be how you want them from the get go.

I think it's adorable that you're attributing this to "Modern Marvel" when this is how comics have been since their inception.

Garfield
04-21-2015, 01:14 PM
Hah, that's hilarious.

Just as many guys are bisexual. Now, as far as girls being more OPENLY bisexual than guys, I'll give you that one. For one thing, guys are more stigmatized and ostracized for any kind of homosexual behavior at all, so you tend to have the two extremes of guys, the closeted homophobe who overcompensates by being Super-Straight, and the "Totally don't give a f*ck", "Out Loud and Proud" stereotypical "gay guys", because of the extremes of the male personality; "insecure and self-loathing" Vs. "This is me, deal with it."

Those in-between tend to not want to advertise, because guys are judgmental as f*ck anyways, they have a hard enough time "grasping" the concept of two dudes together. So getting them to understand that a guy could be into both dudes AND chicks, well, you might as well be trying to explain quantum physics. "So, wait... you like boobs... AND penis...?" They can't get it. Well, they get it if it's a chick. From the typical guy perspective, girls are "allowed" to be gay or bi, because "That's hot". But if you *have* a penis, you're "not supposed" to want to look at other ones. That's Guy Math. It's pretty fuzzy.

So yeah, the idea that there are actually fewer male bisexuals than females is probably wrong, but I'll grant that chicks tend to be more openly bisexual, reason being it's generally more accepted, because "girls kissing", etc.

Yeah. this is how I see it.

I saw a scan of Jean outing him by reading his mind. Seemed like a jerk thing of her to do, but I don't know the context beyond that one scan.

Candy Kappa
04-21-2015, 01:15 PM
I don't have anything against gay people, but ffs give it a rest.
Uhuh... I believe you.

Why change a character that is suppose to have been straight since the f*cking 60s
Yeah, it's not like there are people that have been hiding/denying their sexuality for years, even having a heterosexual relationship for years and have kids with their partner before coming out.

Or, being bisexual. There's also that.

Leo656
04-21-2015, 01:16 PM
I wonder how many dudes would be mad if it turned out Jean Grey has been crushing on Storm for decades.

Probably zero, they'd just immediately proclaim how they'd better have a scene of them kissing in the next movie. Funny what makes people mad.

TheBlueTurtle1
04-21-2015, 01:30 PM
I am not gonna rant to much, but I always was a fan of Iceman, and it really changes the way I look at the characters. It's just a pointless change, which is lame since the older version is still straight.

May I make the suggestion, to people that want children, DON'T time travel, since you have a 1 in 5 chance of turning gay:lol:

TheBlueTurtle1
04-21-2015, 01:34 PM
And oh yea, if it's the Iceman from the 60s, he was dating Zelda and he had a thing for Polaris . So this is just one of those forced things that marvel do. I bet there would be outcry if they changed Blade to a white man or something.

Just saying is all.

Candy Kappa
04-21-2015, 01:34 PM
Why would a character's sexuality change the way you look at them? It's the same character...

"Man, Batman is a Vegan now... I used to like him, but now he's so changed I cant relate to him anymore."

Amaranthus
04-21-2015, 01:37 PM
Why would a character's sexuality change the way you look at them? It's the same character...

"Man, Batman is a Vegan now... I used to like him, but now he's so changed I can relate to him anymore."

lmao vegans

plastroncafe
04-21-2015, 01:38 PM
And oh yea, if it's the Iceman from the 60s, he was dating Zelda and he had a thing for Polaris . So this is just one of those forced things that marvel do. I bet there would be outcry if they changed Blade to a white man or something.

Just saying is all.

False Equivalency.
Just sayin'.

This is a Jar full of Major Characters... (http://timemachineyeah.tumblr.com/post/58648290519/this-is-a-jar-full-of-major-characters)

TheAnvil
04-21-2015, 01:44 PM
Pandering for the sake of pandering. Nothing more.

If they want to invent some new gay characters, fine, that'd be good. Don't change what's been set in stone longer than most of us have been alive.

This is insulting to both gay and straight people.

TheBlueTurtle1
04-21-2015, 01:45 PM

"Man, Batman is a Vegan now... I used to like him, but now he's so changed I cant relate to him anymore."

Because a big part of iceman's personality was his show boating to female characters.

I am gonna leave it there, I don't want to upset/offend anyone.

Leo656
04-21-2015, 01:48 PM
I'd be more in line with it being "pandering" if more than 5 people cared about Iceman to begin with. :lol:

I mean, this guy was probably one Stan Lee martini away from being called "The Human Popsicle." Is anything that happens to him really a huge deal, anyhow? :lol:

Amaranthus
04-21-2015, 01:49 PM
This is insulting to both gay and straight people.

I think it's ridiculous how they're making a straight character gay. But you're overreacting.

Kingoji
04-21-2015, 01:50 PM
Speaking as someone who probably has been a fan of Iceman for longer than a lot of you have been alive, I have no problem with this. In fact, I'm intrigued as to how they handle the idea of someone being gay eventually becoming straight, as that kind of journey can be just as harshly stigmatized and is also attempted far less often.

Leo656
04-21-2015, 01:51 PM
Bible Camp.

OR! Orrrrrrrr......

..............Bobby Drake is a Scientologist.

NOW, we got us some stories, friends.

Candy Kappa
04-21-2015, 01:53 PM
Now, it's been a while since I read the first X-Men comics, but I remeber Iceman was more of a show-off by performing acrobatics and pranks to get people's attention, not just ladies, while Angle was more the Ladies Man character.

TheBlueTurtle1
04-21-2015, 01:57 PM
Speaking as someone who probably has been a fan of Iceman for longer than a lot of you have been alive, I have no problem with this. In fact, I'm intrigued as to how they handle the idea of someone being gay eventually becoming straight, as that kind of journey can be just as harshly stigmatized and is also attempted far less often.

As long as he doesn't do any gross stuff on his little journey.:lol:

Now, it's been a while since I read the first X-Men comics, but I remeber Iceman was more of a show-off by performing acrobatics and pranks to get people's attention, not just ladies, while Angle was more the Ladies Man character.

He had a big crush on Polaris, and was annoyed she liked Havok.

ZariusTwo
04-21-2015, 02:20 PM
Given the Marvel Universe is being systematically dismantled for Secret Wars and about to be restructured by the Silver Surfer, this is probably just Bendis having some fun before the big sweeping reset button is pushed.

Candy Kappa
04-21-2015, 02:23 PM
Well, the homophobes can rest easy, they only lost one good man in the war agains the gay agenda this time.

Angel is still straight:P

CyberCubed
04-21-2015, 03:47 PM
I can understand people being upset if their favorite character who has been around for decades was suddenly revealed to be gay out of nowhere. It makes no sense, and you might as well introduce a new character to do that. For example if it was Cyclops I would have been absolutely devastated.

That being said, I think Beast would have been the most realistic one to be gay. Hank MCcoy always seemed to swing both ways to me, if you know what I mean.

plastroncafe
04-21-2015, 04:16 PM
I'm hoping that what you mean is that you've never actually met a gay person in real life, because that's what it sounds like to me.

Cure
04-21-2015, 04:21 PM
I'm hoping that what you mean is that you've never actually met a gay person in real life, because that's what it sounds like to me.

Well, gay people DO have blue fur, right? I thought that's how you could tell them apart.

CyberCubed
04-21-2015, 04:30 PM
The writer Brian Bendis has finally revealed a statement:

Writer Brian Michael Bendis has a released a statement through Marvel PR about the twist from All-New X-Men #40.

“There are thousands if not millions of stories of people who, for many different reasons, felt the need to hide their sexuality. The X-Men, with the conceit of time travel, give us a fascinating platform in which to examine such personal journeys,” he said. “This is just the first little chapter of a much larger story that will be told.”

Still sounds odd to me. So Bobby is revealed to be gay in the past yet current/modern Bobby isn't? Again this isn't an alternate universe type thing, he's intended to be the same younger Bobby of the one today.

plastroncafe
04-21-2015, 04:39 PM
I disagree that this Bobby Drake isn't now an AU Bobby Drake.
He's gone and done things that the current Bobby Drake didn't when he was that age, so I kind of think that does make him an AU.

Unless Modern Day Bobby Drake now has the memories that Past-in-the-Future Bobby Drake has.

This iceman went down the other leg of the Trousers of Time.
That kind of makes him AU.

TheAnvil
04-21-2015, 04:44 PM
The writer Brian Bendis has finally revealed a statement:

Still sounds odd to me. So Bobby is revealed to be gay in the past yet current/modern Bobby isn't? Again this isn't an alternate universe type thing, he's intended to be the same younger Bobby of the one today.

Pandering, and a marketing tactic.

Leo656
04-21-2015, 09:39 PM
Kinda don't see what the problem would be if he was bi. Would people care more or less? Mathematically speaking, that would only be "adding to" the character, not so much "changing" it. All the stuff everyone "knew" about the character would still be the same, but "Oh, here's some new stuff we never got around to." I kinda don't think that would be in any way problematic.

So, would that be "Better" or "Worse", to you folks?

CyberCubed
04-21-2015, 09:45 PM
So Bobby went through a gay phase when he was younger and then realized he liked girls like the current Bobby does? Its rather odd they do this since I'm pretty sure Bobby had girlfriends in the early X-men comics too.

Does anyone know how hardcore X-men fans of Iceman are taking this? I don't follow any comicbook forums so I'm curious how they feel. Waking up one morning and finding out one of your favorite superheroes for decades is gay would be a pretty big shocker.

If DC randomly decided to make Dick Grayson gay tomorrow I would be like **** this. Don't touch established characters who dated females (Batgirl and Starfire) over the years.

oldmanwinters
04-21-2015, 09:52 PM
Back in college, I can't help but remember a few frustrated comments from one of my roommates directed at the TV when I spammed Iceman's attacks to perfection in Marvel vs. Capcom 2 contests...

Leo656
04-21-2015, 10:33 PM
Back in college, I can't help but remember a few frustrated comments from one of my roommates directed at the TV when I spammed Iceman's attacks to perfection in Marvel vs. Capcom 2 contests...

:lol::lol::lol: People are just the worst around video games. :lol:

CaliperCat
04-21-2015, 10:50 PM
Marvel Reveals Iceman is Gay and it Makes Complete Sense (http://http://www.dorkly.com/post/73999/marvel-revealed-iceman-is-gay-and-it-makes-complete-sense)

I wasn't really sure what to make of the Iceman news, as I'm not terribly familiar with him, but this article does make some good points. Fair warning, though, it has quite a few direct spoilers from the next X-Men comic.

CyberCubed
04-21-2015, 11:11 PM
Looks like the backlash from comicbook fans is extreme like I thought:

http://community.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?38738-Marvel-Comics-Outs-All-New-X-Man

Read the comments.

plastroncafe
04-21-2015, 11:57 PM
That is the most polite "backlash" I've seen on a comic forum in ages.

Shred Head
04-23-2015, 01:50 AM
How is an alternate universe version of a character being confirmed gay news. This isn't anything new we got gay alternate versions of other characters like Colossus, Mary Jane, and I think a version Wolverine that dated Hercules. So to me he's about as relevant as those characters.

Really the real stupid X-Men story isn't this. Its the big Kitty news from Black Vortex.

Kitty and Star Lord are getting married. Forget AU gay Iceman now this is stupid. Even dumber with all the reasons Joe Q said why the Spider marriage is bad.

Prowler
04-23-2015, 01:56 AM
Well, gay people DO have blue fur, right? I thought that's how you could tell them apart.
Dunno, but they used to be forced to wear a blue hat in Kazakhstan.

/lameboratreference

TurtleTitan97
04-23-2015, 09:40 AM
This is pretty pointless, honestly.