PDA

View Full Version : Superman: "Truth"

ZariusTwo
04-24-2015, 08:44 AM
A massive spoiler for Free Comic Book Day (http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/04/24/what-has-dc-comics-done-to-lois-lane/) just hit the 'net that establishes the new status quoe for Superman post-Convergence

Clark's identity is exposed to the whole world. By Lois.

This F'ing company. :trolleye:

CyberCubed
04-24-2015, 08:27 PM
And watch that get retconned in 2 months.

Leo656
04-24-2015, 09:11 PM
People keep trying to convince me that DC isn't dog sh*t now, but every single thing I've seen from the last 5 years says otherwise.

They're so f*cking neurotic about Superman anymore. It's like they go hyper-defensive about every single thing anyone's ever poked fun at, in a desperate attempt to make him "hip". People made fun of the trunks - so they're gone. People said nobody wears spandex - they simultaneously went to two other extremes, battle armor and the jeans/T-shirt look. People said that being married to Lois made him "unrelatable," so they scrapped it. And now, I guess someone up top just heard one too many jokes about Clark's secret identity being silly, so they cut that too.

That's the pattern it seems like they're following, anyway. And it just gets worse and worse. I don't even care if some of what they're doing with other books is okay; Superman's my main priority, and so long as they keep f*cking it up so tragically, I'll be staying far away.

CyberCubed
04-24-2015, 09:13 PM
Do you think they'll eventually scrap the New 52 eventually? Sales have died down quite a bit since 2011 and the backlash toward it could cause them to reverse some things.

They'll likely keep continuity with the better received stuff and Batman for example, but they can undo everything they did with Superman and some of the others

ZariusTwo
04-25-2015, 03:42 AM
The post-Convergence ideas and the whole notion they're feeding us of "story trumping continuity" is basically the official company translation of "stick everything to the wall and what does'nt fall off we'll keep going with". The New 52 label is being dropped, but they're not quite ready to jettison the work spent in their present alignment.

ZariusTwo
04-29-2015, 02:58 PM
Leo, did you read John Romita Jr's solo gig on Superman this week? It was brilliant, full of warmth, joy, the Leaugers being chummy and chillaxing, even Batman was cracking jokes. Definitely a classy way to give Clark one last day of comfort before the truth is revealed

Slade
04-29-2015, 03:16 PM
Believe it or not, years ago I was told I could bring my drawings out to Chicago and present them to DC and Marvel etc at some art thing and they'd more than likely hire me. I couldn't afford a trip to Chicago at the time, but right now is one of those times I'm glad I didn't f*cking go...

Leo656
04-29-2015, 11:51 PM
I haven't picked up a single thing in forever.

ZariusTwo
05-03-2015, 07:13 AM
Seems this has been trending a bit

http://cdn.bleedingcool.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/proxy.png

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/05/02/unbreakableloislane-starts-to-trend/

ZariusTwo
07-30-2015, 03:59 AM
Well, yesterday saw this continuity's Lois find out the secret. Unfortunately the reveal is without nuance. She goes on this big spiel about slowly and meticulously putting to together and tracking Superman's movements since his powers were starting to shorten out, and that would be a fine enough moment to just drop the bomb...but no, Clark fending off a group of super-powered Ninjas is the clincher and then she starts tearing away at his tattered clothing to fully reveal the "S" sign.

The shirt rip reveal. In 2015.

Yeah, this is about as dumb as you can get. I'd have preferred her using her smarts as opposed to violently undressing her friend to prove a point. It's as if DC did'nt think those reading the book couldn't get any satisfaction from something a little quieter. They had to go for the OTT Silver Age throwback s*it, which just makes everyone look silly and does'nt cast Lois in a good light at all.