PDA

View Full Version : Why does NuMetal get such a bad rep?

Krutch
04-28-2015, 02:14 AM
Admittedly, I'm very biased knowing that I was the prime demographic for the genre when it was hitting its stride, but I just don't understand the hate. From what I gather, the main points people make are...

-Repetitive guitar riffs with next to no guitar solos.
-Rap and Metal do not belong together.
-Lyrics all seem to revolve around an abusive upbringing.
-Limp Bizkit

That seems to be it. And if thats really it, I don't understand the seething hatred it gets from some people. It was a blip in time, it was what it was, but it seems to have left such a mark on some people that they still have hate hard-ons for it.

Leo656
04-28-2015, 02:25 AM
It's easy to "hate" on because it's kind of simplistic and generic. And because people need to take shots at something and it's kind of an easy target, musically.

There's stuff I like and stuff I don't, like with any genre of music. But I kind of think that "style" is pretty much done with now. I think the "worst" thing is that, like disco, it's so incredibly dated. Like it's all so very 2002. And then it became so closely associated with a certain "type" of Angry Youth Culture, to the point where now, you can't hear any of that stuff without thinking of skinny guys with dreads, motocross, and Monster Energy Drinks. :lol: That kind of betrays the lack of any real substance. Like something really "classic" will still hold up outside its own era, but a lot of that stuff loses its appeal when you're no longer 16 and pissed off and into that "scene". There's stuff I listened to every day back in 2001-ish that I'd be embarrassed to play out loud now. :lol:

That doesn't make it horrible, though, just kind of not great. It's good for weightlifting music and stuff like that. I don't think people generally hate it as much as they pretend to, it's just hipster shorthand.

Aside from about 3 songs, though, Limp Bizkit is pretty terrible and nobody should really admit to liking them. :lol: I have the "Break Stuff/N2Gether Now" single and that's officially all the Limp Bizkit anyone should be allowed to listen to. That sh*t's just not good for you, dude. :lol:

Prowler
04-28-2015, 02:47 AM
Because Metalheads hate thinking they've met a fellow fan and then he/she turns out to be a fan of bands like Korn and Slipknot. Many people think those are typical examples of Metal bands. They aren't. Okay, obviously Nu Metal is some sort of bastard child of Thrash Metal, just like Heavy Metal is also the child of Hard Rock music, but calling Slipknot or Korn typical Metal bands is like saying a Jpop female singer with some RnB and Hip Hop influences in her songs like Namie Amuro is a typical example of rap music. Nu Metal basically gives a wrong idea about Heavy metal as a whole which makes many people feel turned off by the whole genre thinking it's all garbage like Nu Metal. It's not. If you want to get into Metal then start listening to Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Metallica pre-Black Album, Slayer, testament, Megadeth, Black Sabbath, etc.

Also, Metal is an extremely diverse genre with plenty of variants just like rock. So saying you like/don't like Metal because you happen to listen to Slipknot means jack, since bands like Iron Maiden have a COMPLETELY different sound.

And Nu metal has quite a "white trash" reputation. Especially bands like Korn and Limp Bizkit. So people don't like being associated with such an image.

Personally, I don't like Nu Metal except for a few songs. Overall I think it's boring.

Leo656
04-28-2015, 02:55 AM
That's the thing with me, it all kind of blends. So few groups of that genre really stand out, the only real difference being that some of them have a little more "rap" in their "rap/rock".

Stuck Mojo were pretty good and they were kind of on the upswing of that whole thing, but flamed out before it became a trend. I liked a lot of their stuff, though. A ton of that is due to Rich Ward's amazing guitar work, though. And since he ended up being the co-leader of Fozzy, I think everything ended up where it should have in the end.

Prowler
04-28-2015, 02:58 AM
That's the thing with me, it all kind of blends. So few groups of that genre really stand out, the only real difference being that some of them have a little more "rap" in their "rap/rock".

Stuck Mojo were pretty good and they were kind of on the upswing of that whole thing, but flamed out before it became a trend. I liked a lot of their stuff, though. A ton of that is due to Rich Ward's amazing guitar work, though. And since he ended up being the co-leader of Fozzy, I think everything ended up where it should have in the end.
Each big group has a catchy song or two. Here's some Nu Metal songs I enjoy/have enjoyed before:

"Glass Shatters" by Disturbed
"Bodies" by Drowning Pool
"My way" by Limp Bizkit
"Nookie" by Limp Bizkit
"Star A War" by Static X

Leo656
04-28-2015, 03:04 AM
I still crank "Bodies". That one stays fresh.

Actually, I think all anyone needs is the first "WWF Tough Enough" soundtrack, and you're covered. :lol: Ya got your Drowning Pool, ya got your Mudvayne... ya got just enough manufactured aggression to get you through an afternoon of free weights and dirt bikes, and nobody has to walk away too injured or embarrassed. :lol:

Prowler
04-28-2015, 03:06 AM
Ye, I discovered those songs through WWE.

WWF/WWE made Limp Bizkit and a few other Nu Metal songs/bands actually sound enjoyable. I tip my hat off to them.

Krutch
04-28-2015, 03:12 AM
Yeah, I can see that it feels very dated. But I feel it sounds that way because after the downfall around 2003, nobody wanted to play it anymore and so you never heard it outside of your own MP3 player, if it were on there. And even then, the songs you'd be hearing would be associated with memories of that time in your life. Had NuMetal bands continued to get airtime or support, it may have lived beyond that and not felt dated(assuming it never evolved past what it was). But it was so quickly dropped and ignored that, yeah, its going to sound like that time because thats the only time you really heard it.

As far as it being associated with an image, thats a statement you can make for any kind of genre of music though. And "white trash" music reaches far beyond NuMetal and dips into many others.

I'll say this about NuMetal; it was huge when it was at its peak. The defense I often give people who hate Insane Clown Posse's music is, how can you hate something when you need to go out of your way to listen to it? But NuMetal was everywhere from commercials to video games to radio to you-name-it. So the over saturation I'd say was definitely something that worked against it. It's not a genre that works well in bulk. Too much angst.

As for Limp Bizkit, I don't mind them. When they're bad, they're bad but when they're good I have no shame in thinking so. Their last album Gold Cobra was probably their best work, even. But nobody's heard it since the genres dead. And its Limp Bizkit :roll:

Side note: I only bring this up since I was in a Tim Horton's today and the radio was playing Papa Roach's "Last Resort". And it was one of those "I must be getting old" kind of moments, to hear that playing at a Timmy's :lol:

Prowler
04-28-2015, 03:22 AM
I was just naming the main reasons why the genre is disliked by a lot of people. And I believe the Nu Metal scene has a worse image than many other genres out there.

I don't hate Nu Metal, I'm just not a fan. And it's not for its bad fans or anything. In fact, plenty of people grew up listening to it and likes/liked some songs. So obviously most Nu Metal fans probably are regular folk. I simply dislike the way it sounds. Also, many songs have lyrics that seem hard to relate to after you stop being a teenager.

As for Rap and Metal not belonging together. Well, that's subjective and I don't know what to think of it. I'm not a fan of Rap music but I don't know enough about it to comment on it. But Rap and Metal are two of the most aggressive genres out there so, in theory, seems like there's a lot of potential for there to be successful fusion between both genres. Although to be honest, ti was mostly Limp Bizkit and maybe Korn where you could smell the Rap influences a mile away. Most people can't really smell the Rap influence away in bands like Slipknot and Disturbed. They just come across as watered down Metal. That's why you have many people thinking Slipknot are a "legit" Metal band on the same bag as Iron Maiden or Metallica, per example.

Leo656
04-28-2015, 03:24 AM
Haaaaaaaaah I love Papa Roach. :lol: Seen 'em open for Guns back in '06, front row, and they killed, so yeah, they earned their stripes from me and I'm a little biased. Some of the newer stuff's a little too electronic for my taste but they're good.

What kills me about ICP, since you mentioned them, is a lot of people who "hate" ICP aren't even in on the joke... aaaaaand a lot of their "fans" aren't, either, which is pretty F'n tragic. :lol: Not saying they're gifted or anything, but... they're actually pretty brilliantly subversive, at least with the entirety of "ICP" as a whole being viewed as a performance art project, and not going solely by their music, which is often of questionable quality. Although c'moooon, I defy anyone not to laugh at at least some of their stuff.

Interesting points, otherwise. Over-saturation definitely played a part in the decline. I mean, look at any and every action movie and comic book movie soundtrack from 2000 to 2005. Just too much when so much of it sounds the same or at least similar. Even some of the better stuff was going to get shuffled in with the lesser stuff, just because of the sheer volume of what was out there.

Not that things have gotten much "better", musically, since the style cooled off. I'd argue popular music is much, much worse. There's still great stuff out there, but I'd argue the stuff people actually get to hear without going on a hunt is at its lowest point in decades.

Since I mentioned Mojo before, I'll just throw this up there. Fun video for probably their biggest "hit". I love that guitar riff. Sh*t stays in my ear for daaaaays like it's 1998 again, every time I hear it.
p0NpeWe5sGk

Prowler
04-28-2015, 03:27 AM
Not that things have gotten much "better", musically, since the style cooled off. I'd argue popular music is much, much worse. There's still great stuff out there, but I'd argue the stuff people actually get to hear without going on a hunt is at its lowest point in decades.
I dunno about that but can't say I care for any super popular hot band or singer of the moment.

But worse are the hipsters who believe that listening to popular bands from the 60s/70s/80s does not make you a real music fan. Well I don't care. "dad rock" will always be better than music hipsters rave about. I bet they won't complain if their kids end up listening to the same **** as they do, though. :lol:

Leo656
04-28-2015, 03:39 AM
Ehhh, nobody even wants to believe that their tastes are going to change as they age, and that they'll find themselves listening to and enjoying stuff they once swore they'd despise forever. But it happens to everybody.

To a degree. I mean, there are limits. There are people, I won't say who, because it would compromise their mission, but there are people whose job it is to shoot me directly in the face if I ever willingly concede to listening to anything by The Grateful Dead.

Directly In The Face.

Krutch
04-28-2015, 03:45 AM
I'm certainly not enjoying any kind of music you'd hear on the radio, lately. There was a station in Toronto, Indie 88, that was the only station worth listening to. But now they sound like everything else so I've started looking to the web to find something new. I've actually found myself getting into the New Retro Wave scene lately(who the hell names these things, anyways?).

Leo656
04-28-2015, 03:48 AM
I been getting into totally random and diverse sh*t lately in the absence of any good new "mainstream" stuff. I've been listening to just so much Angels & Airwaves. Pretty much the exact opposite of this topic. :lol:

Prowler
04-28-2015, 03:49 AM
Ehhh, nobody even wants to believe that their tastes are going to change as they age, and that they'll find themselves listening to and enjoying stuff they once swore they'd despise forever. But it happens to everybody.

Ye I used to mostly listen to Metal from 18 to 21 with some Rock here and there. Nowadays I still like Metal but have taken a liking to Classical and Jazz music as well.

Leo656
04-28-2015, 03:51 AM
I still like it all but I've just played so much of that stuff so often that I'm listening to other stuff more.

Really annoys my wife, who'd prefer to listen to mostly King Diamond and nothing else forever. :lol:

Krutch
04-28-2015, 03:51 AM
Timecop1983, Trevor Something, VHS Glitch, and Dance With The Dead have been playing nonstop these last few months. And Classic Rock will never fall out of rotation :D

Prowler
04-28-2015, 03:53 AM
I'm certainly not enjoying any kind of music you'd hear on the radio, lately. There was a station in Toronto, Indie 88, that was the only station worth listening to. But now they sound like everything else so I've started looking to the web to find something new. I've actually found myself getting into the New Retro Wave scene lately(who the hell names these things, anyways?).
You mean Retro themed Electronic artists such as Miami Nights 1984 and Mitch Murder? I love that stuff.

Krutch
04-28-2015, 03:55 AM
You mean Retro themed Electronic artists such as Miami Nights 1984 and Mitch Murder? I love that stuff.

That's the stuff :D Turbulence is awesome!

Wesley
04-28-2015, 02:25 PM
I haven't listened to much nu-metal, but I've heard a few of Linkin Park's songs. I like a few of their songs like In The End and New Divide. I'm not a fan of theirs, though, because I think there is too much angst in their lyrics and their lyrics are too bland.

Netkeeper
04-28-2015, 03:51 PM
You gotta remember, friends, that most metalheads are a very angry, opinionated bunch. They used to get mad at me for liking DragonForce ffs. But there's nothing they hate more than rap, so when rap and metal mixed, they shunned it like the plague.

I personally like some nu metal, no problem. I also despise some of it. As stated earlier in the thread, metal is a hugely diverse genre and for me personally, I draw the line at too much screaming and too much rapping. If there's just a moderate amount of those things, I have no problem with it, but I prefer my vocalists to actually sing, and for me the vocalist makes the band. If I don't like your vocalist, your band can kiss my ass, I'm not listening to it even if you have the best guitars in the world.

pennydreadful
04-28-2015, 05:34 PM
I was gonna say - IMO, nu-metal gets a bad rap because the metal community can be incredibly elitist. You get a bunch of testosterone-laden dudes on the internet who like listening to aggressive music and conversations can get pretty nasty (not to mention downright snotty). Then you basically get the metal version of the "real fans/true fans" argument that we get with TMNT over here.

As far as nu-metal goes - some of it's flat out embarrassing because once you're past the age of 16, you just can't relate to it. Some nu-metal is crap because the bands just aren't that good. Some nu-metal is ok. And some nu-metal is great (yeah, I said it). Metal has a huge amount of sub-genres (not to mention a lot of blending and influences across the bands careers); I like a wide selection of metal genres - but I've got zero interest in quibbling about semantics regarding guitar chord differences between thrash metal and deathcore, y'know? Everyone has their preferences when it comes to metal sub-genres; I personally feel that a lot of the shade which is thrown at nu-metal ties back into 1) the anti-sellout mentality and 2) some macho alpha male BS as to what's more "hardcore".

That being said, Limp Bizkit are just beyond cringeworthy. :P

ObiWanFan4life
04-28-2015, 06:08 PM
In my opinion, Korn's sound evloved with See You On The Other Side, which was more industial/ experimental. I think the problem with Nu-Metal is that the bands' themes are very repetitive.

plastroncafe
04-28-2015, 08:13 PM
If you play a NuMetal song backwards does their daddy love them again?

Leo656
04-28-2015, 10:31 PM
Possibly, but he remains disappointed that they never really went out for football.

Wingnut
04-28-2015, 10:36 PM
-Repetitive guitar riffs with next to no guitar solos.
-Rap and Metal do not belong together.
-Lyrics all seem to revolve around an abusive upbringing.
-Limp Bizkit

Throw Slipknot in there and you've described Ross Robinson's entire career.

Prowler
04-29-2015, 02:14 AM
You gotta remember, friends, that most metalheads are a very angry, opinionated bunch. They used to get mad at me for liking DragonForce ffs. But there's nothing they hate more than rap, so when rap and metal mixed, they shunned it like the plague.

I personally like some nu metal, no problem. I also despise some of it. As stated earlier in the thread, metal is a hugely diverse genre and for me personally, I draw the line at too much screaming and too much rapping. If there's just a moderate amount of those things, I have no problem with it, but I prefer my vocalists to actually sing, and for me the vocalist makes the band. If I don't like your vocalist, your band can kiss my ass, I'm not listening to it even if you have the best guitars in the world.
Most? Quite an exaggeration. I've met plenty of Metal fans, and most aren't as aggressive irl as they seem behind a computer screen... so like pretty much everyone else :lol:. If you go on the internet you'll see plenty of metalheads trashing PanterA, but in real life every Metal fan I've met likes or liked PanterA at some point in his life.

Leo656
04-29-2015, 02:23 AM
WHAT? Who doesn't like f*cking Pantera? Put me in a room with that guy. Christ. There's opinions and then there's entirely having zero taste. Holy sh*t. That's horrible.

Prowler
04-29-2015, 05:20 AM
WHAT? Who doesn't like f*cking Pantera? Put me in a room with that guy. Christ. There's opinions and then there's entirely having zero taste. Holy sh*t. That's horrible.
They get almost as much **** thrown at them as Metallica get nowadays. For some reason plenty of people seem to find them terrible musicians and look down on them for "being rednecks". And elitist metalheads consider them posers due to going from a Glam Metal band to a Thrash one when the former stopped making bucks. And also blame PanterA for Nu Metal and Hardcore variants of Metal, since bands of those genres drew a lot of inspiration from Pantera's later works. When you think about it, "This Love" could technically be considered a Nu Metal song since its structure resembles a typical song of said genre.

I think it's silly to blame PanterA for all of that, though. Might as well hate The Beatles and The Rolling Stones for their influence on pretty much every rock band ever. Cowboys From hell is one of the best Metal albums in history. Vulgar Display of Power is pretty good too but not as great. Far Beyond Driven and Reinventing of Steel are pretty mediocre, imo. The Great Southern Trendkill is good but not as good as CFH and VDoP.

Cure
04-29-2015, 12:27 PM
Pantera's only good for their song that got featured on an episode of SpongeBob.

plastroncafe
04-29-2015, 12:39 PM
Metallica, the best of the Metal Jam Bands.

Whatswiththeheadbands?
04-29-2015, 12:47 PM
If you want to get into Metal then start listening to Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Metallica pre-Black Album, Slayer, testament, Megadeth, Black Sabbath, etc.

Also, Metal is an extremely diverse genre with plenty of variants just like rock. So saying you like/don't like Metal because you happen to listen to Slipknot means jack, since bands like Iron Maiden have a COMPLETELY different sound.

This. My favorite era of Metal is the NWOBHM from the late 70s and early 80s.

Netkeeper
04-29-2015, 08:47 PM
If you play a NuMetal song backwards does their daddy love them again?
Probably the best post in this thread.

Leo656
04-30-2015, 12:04 AM
If society has devolved to the point where people even try and take the piss out of goddamn Pantera, it shows conclusively that society's becoming stupider by the day. Friggin' kids these days don't know Jack from Sh*t.

The only thing Pantera really has in common with "NuMetal" in my opinion, though, is that they perfected the "get stupid drunk and lift free weights in a parking lot" motif before it was the cool thing to do. I don't get much into the whole "this record over that record" stuff. If it's good, it's good, the rest is all semantics. As far as that other stuff goes, people should care more about a band's music and less about their backstory. "Does this record make you wanna eat raw meat, gargle Jack Daniels, and go pick a fight with a total stranger for absolutely no good reason?" It's a Yes or No question, and if it's Yes, then it's all good and who gives a sh*t about the rest of it? "Ooooh, but on their FIRST record..." Hey, numbnuts, this is a guy with a mullet telling you to quit living in the freakin' past! :lol:

I'unno man. I've never heard any Pantera I didn't like. Some stuff more than other stuff, sure, but... that's one of those, "Gee, if you don't like this then what DO you like?" kinda deals.

Prowler
04-30-2015, 12:43 AM
If society has devolved to the point where people even try and take the piss out of goddamn Pantera, it shows conclusively that society's becoming stupider by the day. Friggin' kids these days don't know Jack from Sh*t.

The only thing Pantera really has in common with "NuMetal" in my opinion, though, is that they perfected the "get stupid drunk and lift free weights in a parking lot" motif before it was the cool thing to do. I don't get much into the whole "this record over that record" stuff. If it's good, it's good, the rest is all semantics. As far as that other stuff goes, people should care more about a band's music and less about their backstory. "Does this record make you wanna eat raw meat, gargle Jack Daniels, and go pick a fight with a total stranger for absolutely no good reason?" It's a Yes or No question, and if it's Yes, then it's all good and who gives a sh*t about the rest of it? "Ooooh, but on their FIRST record..." Hey, numbnuts, this is a guy with a mullet telling you to quit living in the freakin' past! :lol:

I dunno man. I've never heard any Pantera I didn't like. Some stuff more than other stuff, sure, but... that's one of those, "Gee, if you don't like this then what DO you like?" kinda deals.
I don't really care about a band's history either. What I care about is the music they make. And outside of bigger bands such as Iron Maiden and Pantera, I really don't bother knowing the names of most band members.

As for Metallica, I don't dislike them for "selling out". I dislike their stuff from Black Album on because it sucks, simple.

Leo656
04-30-2015, 12:50 AM
Hah, your opinion, pally. :tcool:

Krutch
04-30-2015, 07:54 AM
All this NuMetal talk got me nostalgic for a mixed CD(Yeah, I still burn mixed CDs). Here it is, celebrating the good and the bad:

http://i.imgur.com/YFgOniu.png

plastroncafe
04-30-2015, 10:10 AM
Minor threadjack, but I figure if anyone would have an answer/opinion on this it'd be you guys:

Where does a band like Tool fall in terms of genre?

Krutch
04-30-2015, 11:15 AM
Well I wouldn't call them NuMetal, though theres times I can see the similarities. Probably closer to Progressive Rock/Alternative than anything IMO.

pennydreadful
04-30-2015, 04:41 PM
In terms of genre, I simply file them under "awesome". 8)

plastroncafe
05-01-2015, 10:23 AM
In terms of genre, I simply file them under "awesome". 8)

http://cdn.rsvlts.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/it.gif

sdp
05-01-2015, 10:33 AM
I grew up with nu-metal in the early 2000's so there's my bias disclaimer but I don't really care for any form of metal anymore so I think I'm pretty objective about this.

Let's start off by informing non-fans how metalheads are the biggest elitist pricks out of any music genre which is why it's divided into a huge clusterf-ck of sub-genres. We have to remember that metal was pretty much a dead scene after the 80s killed it with all the glam and hair metal that killed it which gave way to new forms of hard rock and grunge as popular genres. In the 90s nu-metal started and this new mix of sounds was fresh and cool so it started getting more and more popular and from what I can tell most metal fans went along with it, it wasn't until the early 2000s that elitist metalheads started being nostalgic about "their" metal and started talking sh-t about nu-metal but even then they were only a minority. Of course by the early 2000's there was almost nothing new being added to the genre and just more and more "me too" bands coming out which flooded the genre with generic music which made people grow out of it and "Hardcore" started getting more and more popular and by this time it was now cool to hate on nu-metal and they were basically non-existent.

Is nu-metal really that bad though? The lack of guitar solo was never important to me so I didn't care, the music was catchy and had rhythm. The whole rap/rock hybrid is overstated, it was only ever used by some bands in the genre popularized by Limp Bizkit but most nu-metal bands didn't have any rap at all, in fact the whole "rap/metal" hybrid was more about the bass than the singer rapping. Many of the other complains are also generalizations or true only about the copycats and not what started the genre. As far as lyrics? Well yeah Korn had a breakthrough album with their s/t release and many of the lyrics had subtle nods to a bad childhood, it was groundbreaking and new but many bands went overboard with it. Nu-metal has plenty of stupid lyrics, but then again is it only nu-metal? I can't think of any sub-genre of metal where a majority of the lyrics isn't goofy sh-t when taken out of context. I think all the gimmicks bands started to use to sell their image is another factor why it's generally made fun off but other metal genres also 'surprise' have that too.

So yeah, the market was flooded by terrible nu-metal but there's plenty of great stuff and a great genre in its own right not to mention it revived the genre at a time that it was dead, I mean what were we supposed to listen to? Metallica hadn't made a great album since before I was born. As I liked heavier and heavier music I listened to plenty of other metal genres, Industrial, Black, speed, death, melodic, etc. and all those genres have the same problems that nu-metal has, only difference is none of them have ever been "mainstream" which is the reason nu-metal is hated, too popular for the genre. I'm not into metal like I was in my youth but I can still rock out to plenty of nu-metal without problems just as any other type of metal.

Netkeeper
05-04-2015, 09:00 PM
Nu-metal has plenty of stupid lyrics, but then again is it only nu-metal? I can't think of any sub-genre of metal where a majority of the lyrics isn't goofy sh-t when taken out of context.
Yup, this is why I usually don't talk **** about nu metal's lyrics. I listen to a lot of power metal ffs, I am in no position to complain about lyrics.

senpai
05-16-2015, 11:36 PM
NuMetal gets a bad rep? But I thought everyone loved Linkin Park...

Leo656
05-16-2015, 11:39 PM
:lol: In the 10th grade! HAH!

senpai
05-16-2015, 11:48 PM
Oh! Are you sureeee?

Leo656
05-16-2015, 11:52 PM
Pretty sure. Although it's been about 75 years since I was there. :lol:

I like "Shadow of the Day", though.

senpai
05-16-2015, 11:57 PM
That one's good. I liked them a lot when I was in middle school. I was a hipster. I made sure everyone knew that I liked it first because I had the CD before anyone else. It started with my cousin showing me this video

6iye7m74DMU

and I flipped out. "I MUST HAVE THIS CD!" Geez...that AMV is ancient lol

Redeemer
05-17-2015, 12:12 AM
Is Linking Park really considered new metal????
When I think of New Metal I am thinking of Breaking Benjamin :D

pennydreadful
05-17-2015, 12:38 AM
Breaking Benjamin are more rock than metal; I've never really detected any hip-hop or rap influences in their work either.

Netkeeper
05-17-2015, 12:55 AM
NuMetal gets a bad rep? But I thought everyone loved Linkin Park...
Not gonna lie, I cringed when I read that.

senpai
05-17-2015, 08:53 AM
Not gonna lie, I cringed when I read that.

Nobody can tell when I am being sarcastic. It is truly a gift :D

Wesley
05-17-2015, 10:59 AM
Pretty sure. Although it's been about 75 years since I was there. :lol:

I like "Shadow of the Day", though.

I liked listening to Linkin Park years ago when I was a bit angst. I don't like them much anymore (there is too much angst in their lyrics most of the time and their lyrics are too bland), but I still like a few of their songs such as In The End and New Divide.

pennydreadful
05-17-2015, 04:51 PM
I think we can all agree that they're painfully overused when it comes to AMVs. If I see one more character tribute video set to a Linkin Park track... :tconfuse:

Leo656
05-17-2015, 04:53 PM
Yeah man. Least I use *good* music for my highlight reels.

Which are on my YouTube page.

Which is in my sig.

Which everyone should subscribe to.

:tgrin::tgrin::tgrin:

joe-eyeball
05-17-2015, 05:14 PM
Who needs Nu Metal when you can go back and listen to one of the originals that influenced a lot of these bands. Faith No More! They are a truly great representation of "that style" of music. None of these Nu Metal bands hold a candle to their talent and execution. Also, very cool that Faith No More is releasing their first studio album since 1997. It drops this Tuesday on the 19th. Hell yeah!

sdp
05-17-2015, 05:37 PM
Why like TMNT when you can like the original comic of Daredevil which is the original and far better?

Anywho, I've only listened to the first two Linkin Park albums and at least those two records are the text book definition of what Nu-Metal is. I actually think those two records are really good however they were overplayed which is why the whole "LP sucks" exists. I've read their other records stray from the formula though but I don't know.

senpai
05-17-2015, 05:56 PM
LP is very overused in AMVs. Though that one I shared was the first AMV I saw and the first LP song I ever heard. So it's special to me. I have no idea what LP is doing these days or if they even make music still. I seldom listen to the radio.

Netkeeper
05-17-2015, 07:36 PM
First time I ever heard Linkin Park was to a Yugioh AMV, so I feel you there.