PDA

View Full Version : What's your fighting game series?

Prowler
04-30-2015, 02:11 AM
Why not?

Fighting games. Not everyone loves them or has the patience to master its characters, but it's a big genre regardless.

Street Fighter: The one that started the fighting craze. SF II remains fresh after all these years and I always go back to it. And unlike other series, it's not that tough to pick up and play, so it appeals to both casuals and hardcore players. It also has good characters. A great balance overall. My favorite after all these years.

Mortal Kombat: Pretty fun back in the day, but the classic games haven't aged so well and the violence seems mild compared to the games we have today. Gameplay wise it was quite behind Street Fighter, but didn't let down in the cool characters department. Also, the MK universe is cool as a whole. I like Street Fighter characters but don't care that much for their backstories, whilst MK characters have more interesting ones.

Tekken: A more technical fighter. A good game and all but I find it boring and all flash and no substance. Don't care for the characters either.

Virtua Fighter: Another technical fighter, but this one I like. Virtua Fighter 2 being one of my favorite fighting games of all time. In fact, the Saturn was full of great fighters.

King of Fighters: The closest fighting game to Street Fighter I've played. SNK's fighting series seems pretty similar to SF in terms of artwork and gameplay. The characters are also quite varied. Some are cool, others not so much, but overall a good mix.

Super Smash Bros.: The perfect game for any Nintendo fanboy such as myself. It's fun as hell to play both solo and co-op. The replay value is pretty high due to there being so many ways you can beat your opponents. Man, I must have spent hundreds of hours playing Melee back in the day. This game is a ****ing party, dude!

What about you? What is your favorite fighting game series?

Powder
04-30-2015, 02:16 AM
Smash Bros. takes the #1 spot for me. The only fighter game I ever got into prior to that was TMNT Tournament Fighters for SNES & Killer Instinct at the laser tag joint. Not big on the genre outside of SSB, though I do play SF & MK's SNES installments from time to time.

Prowler
04-30-2015, 02:17 AM
Also, damn. Missed the word "favorite" in the title and now can't edit it. Oh well, people know what I mean.

Netkeeper
04-30-2015, 05:13 AM
Super Smash Bros for me. There's plenty to like about other fighting games, but I'm just not that GOOD at them. :lol:

Prowler
04-30-2015, 06:35 AM
Super Smash Bros for me. There's plenty to like about other fighting games, but I'm just not that GOOD at them. :lol:
The ones I'm the best at are SSB and Street Fighter.

Cure
04-30-2015, 08:41 AM
Are you trying to take Ninjinister's spot as fighting game guy? Not happening.

My vote goes to Smash Brothers, also. Mortal Kombat would be second.

Prowler
04-30-2015, 08:44 AM
Are you trying to take Ninjinister's spot as fighting game guy? Not happening.

My vote goes to Smash Brothers, also. Mortal Kombat would be second.
Nah man. While I do like fighting games, I'm far from being an expert at them. I've just been in a mood of playing them lately for an odd reason. Been playing Street Fighter II and Capcom vs. SNK 2 EO Millenium Fight lately again.

*NormalGamer*
04-30-2015, 11:04 AM
For traditional fighters: Street Fighter

For non-traditional fighters: Super Smash Bros.

For the fighting game genre in general: I simply just enjoy 'any' fighting game for what it is.

CyberCubed
04-30-2015, 02:56 PM
Mortal Kombat as a kid, then Soul Calibur as we moved into the Gamecube era. Of course I've played and loved every Smash series.

Street Fighter IV was my first Street Fighter, believe it or not, so I didn't get into that series until very late.

Prowler
04-30-2015, 03:07 PM
Mortal Kombat as a kid, then Soul Calibur as we moved into the Gamecube era. Of course I've played and loved every Smash series.

Street Fighter IV was my first Street Fighter, believe it or not, so I didn't get into that series until very late.
Well that's certainly curious. Usually people who grew up with the 16 bit generation have played both MK and SF at some point or another. Where you just not interested in SF as a kid or had other priorities at the time?

CyberCubed
04-30-2015, 03:10 PM
I was a kid and wasn't able to buy games without my parents money or whatever I got for my birthday/holidays. Mortal Kombat was what I got as a kid because of the blood/violence and the first movie.

By the time the N64 came out and I was a teen with my own money Street Fighter left Nintendo consoles so I had none to purchase.

Prowler
04-30-2015, 03:15 PM
I was a kid and wasn't able to buy games without my parents money or whatever I got for my birthday/holidays. Mortal Kombat was what I got as a kid because of the blood/violence and the first movie.

By the time the N64 came out and I was a teen with my own money Street Fighter left Nintendo consoles so I had none to purchase.
And how did you convince your parents to buy you MK? My brother was able to convince our mom to buy him MK3 for Christmas back in the 90s and he was only 12 at the time. Then again our mom knows absolutely nothing about video games so she probably had no idea what kind of game it was.

CyberCubed
04-30-2015, 03:35 PM
My father bought me Mortal Kombat, he didn't care at all about the blood. I think I was only 9 or 10 when I got it too.

Prowler
04-30-2015, 03:42 PM
My father bought me Mortal Kombat, he didn't care at all about the blood. I think I was only 9 or 10 when I got it too.
How good were you at MK? For some reason I've always been a lot worse at MK than I was at SF. I could cruise through the lowest difficulty levels in SF II, especially if I played with M. Bison or Ryu, but in MK games I even struggled at the Very Easy. I'd beat the first 3 opponents and then get my ass kicked by the 4th one. Also those challenges were a torture and I don't think I've ever gotten past Motaro in MK 3.

turtlefanforever
04-30-2015, 04:04 PM
Waay too close to chose one.

was leaning towards Mortal Kombat but then i saw Dragon Ball z, and that was like all i used to play. Loved them. so i'll say like a 5 way tie between

Mortal Kombat, Dragon balls z, street fighter, & tekken,

i really enjoy smash bros but honestly i've only played it a few times. So i'd throw it with my highly reccommended 2nd teir including Playstation All-stars, & Marvel vs Capcom.

if Cartoon Network Punchtime Xplosion had another game besides XL that'd be up there too. With MK DBZ SF & Tekken.

Netkeeper
04-30-2015, 06:17 PM
Oh man this discussion about MK and SF, I didn't get to play SF until later myself [but it was still SF II]. I had the Genesis Mortal Kombat when I was really young because it was a hand-me-down from one of my brothers. :lol: I played it a lot but I was so awful at it.

For more traditional fighting games though my favourite has to be Marvel vs Capcom. I've never played fighting games much, but every instalment in that series is great.

Oh, and since its on the poll and nobody else mentioned it, I love Killer Instinct.

Leo656
04-30-2015, 06:25 PM
I've definitely played more Mortal Kombat and Soul Calibur than anything but I'm not really very good at any of them.

Toitlefan
04-30-2015, 06:42 PM
Marvel vs Capcom for me. It's got a huge character selection and you don't really need to be a hardcore gamer to have fun with it. The visuals are hands-down the best of the group.

Wingnut
04-30-2015, 11:22 PM
King of Fighters. 98, 02, and XIII.

Street & Virtua Fighter on the podium.

Metroid
05-01-2015, 11:43 PM
Mortal Kombat for sure, I catch myself playing that game more than any other fighting game I own. I do not care much for the blood, but just each character and how different they are, fighting wise, really draws me further in with every new game that comes out.

If I had a 2nd choice, it would defiantly be Soul Caliber.

Ninjinister
05-02-2015, 12:04 AM
You don't have "Yes" as an answer.

BabyTurtles
05-02-2015, 01:20 AM
SoulCalibur! and even Street Fighter to an extent ^_^

Prowler
05-02-2015, 03:11 AM
Mortal Kombat for sure, I catch myself playing that game more than any other fighting game I own. I do not care much for the blood, but just each character and how different they are, fighting wise, really draws me further in with every new game that comes out.

If I had a 2nd choice, it would defiantly be Soul Caliber.
I haven't played MK since UMK3 on the Sega Saturn, but the classic 2d games seemed to have aged poorly. I can't play them solo for more than a couple of rounds before getting bored, unlike Street Fighter 2 and KoF '94.

You don't have "Yes" as an answer.
I couldn't add anymore options. :(

chrisdude
05-02-2015, 05:15 AM
Tekken is my jam. But, I follow nearly every series in the poll.

Prowler
05-02-2015, 05:35 AM
Tekken is my jam. But, I follow nearly every series in the poll.
Do you play competitively and/or with friends?

Am I the only one who actually enjoys playing fighting games solo for long periods of time? Because every year I set up my SNES to play some SF II for old times sake. And never get tired of it. I always seem to come back to it.

senpai
05-06-2015, 12:00 AM
Persona 4 Arena. Who wants a mess?! I'll play you :)

Jester
05-06-2015, 12:17 AM
Clayfighters.....but mainly for the premise/style not the execution....that and I don't play many fighters and it's the one I owned as a kid.

Marvel fighters are fun because of all of the fun characters.

Slade
05-06-2015, 01:41 AM
I feel like I've been saying this a lot lately, but if I have to choose, it's always going to be Street Fighter for me.

chrisdude
05-14-2015, 09:22 PM
Do you play competitively and/or with friends?

Am I the only one who actually enjoys playing fighting games solo for long periods of time? Because every year I set up my SNES to play some SF II for old times sake. And never get tired of it. I always seem to come back to it.Actually, growing up as an only child, I didn't really get into playing against people until college. I liked playing at the arcade, but I'm certainly not "competitive." Eventually, the game starts to feel like work, and I stop having fun.

I have one friend who's still really into games (I'm 28 ), and I've just gotten used to him beating me at all my favorite fighters - literally 90% of the time. I could spend hours training, and devising techniques to beat him, but that's no fun.

Prowler
05-21-2015, 07:22 PM
Actually, growing up as an only child, I didn't really get into playing against people until college. I liked playing at the arcade, but I'm certainly not "competitive." Eventually, the game starts to feel like work, and I stop having fun.

I have one friend who's still really into games (I'm 28 ), and I've just gotten used to him beating me at all my favorite fighters - literally 90% of the time. I could spend hours training, and devising techniques to beat him, but that's no fun.
Ye. Like you, I grew up playing fighting games solo as well.

I've never become good at a fighting game to the point of being a local tournament contender.

Competitive fighting is what turns people away from the genre. Going online and getting your ass whooped doesn't exactly make you like a game. Per example, I loved Virtua Fighter 2 back in the day, but I dunno if I'd ever want to play it online or try to master a character or more. That game is a bit too deep for most people. I mean, Tekken characters have deep and diverse movesets, but you don't need to learn every damn move and many combos are simple stuff such as "Press X twice" or "Press X twice and Triangle once".

I guess everyone has that genre they just cant' get into. My "genre I ca't get into" is FPS. I've enjoyed games of the genre such as Borderlands 2 and Deus EX: HR(although it's better not to actually not shoot in most situations in that game) but I've never gotten into military shooters such as Medal of Honor or Call of Duty. Also, I'm terrible at aiming.

TheCanadiandrome
05-21-2015, 07:39 PM
always has been and forever shall be Mortal Kombat FTW

Netkeeper
05-21-2015, 09:57 PM
I guess everyone has that genre they just cant' get into. My "genre I ca't get into" is FPS.
I have two. I can't get into FPS myself, mostly because the majority of first person games in general annoy me, but I actually can't really get most fighting games, either. Most fighting games I've ever picked up didn't have any clear directions on how to play or a tutorial or anything. THAT'S NOT EXACTLY WELCOMING. UMvC3 really pissed me off in that regard. I only learned what the ****ing buttons do because I had a friend that remembered.

Leo656
05-21-2015, 11:14 PM
I found that MK V, VI, and VII were all really great at teaching you to play the game through the Story mode. I always started those games pretty poorly but would be a boss at everyone by the end of it. The Challenge Tower of the last MK was good for that, too.

Netkeeper
05-22-2015, 01:54 AM
Yeah, I've found fighting games with story modes in general to be better at teaching you how to actually play the damn thing. The DBZ Budokai games immediately spring to my mind here.

Prowler
05-22-2015, 06:52 AM
I have two. I can't get into FPS myself, mostly because the majority of first person games in general annoy me, but I actually can't really get most fighting games, either. Most fighting games I've ever picked up didn't have any clear directions on how to play or a tutorial or anything. THAT'S NOT EXACTLY WELCOMING. UMvC3 really pissed me off in that regard. I only learned what the ****ing buttons do because I had a friend that remembered.
I think all fighters have a training mode nowadays. But they didn't back in the early 90s. Classic SF and MK definitely didn't have them. You either had to look up the moves in the manual or ask someone else how to pull some moves. And speaking of that... did the manuals of old MK games explain you how to do the fatalities/babalities/animalities, etc? Because I didn't know how to do them as a kid and know some people who couldn't either. I mean, if it wasn't in the manual then how did people find out how to do them? The internet wasn't exactly very accessible back in 1994-1995...

Sega Saturn fighters had the best training modes, imo. SFIV has a cool training mode but it's frustrating having to pause the game every time you want to remind yourself how to pull off a certain move.

Another genre I'm not a fan of is racing simulation. I LOVE racing games such as Mario Kart and F-Zero. And also liked Diddy Kong Racing and Micro Machines a lot as a kid, but realistic racing games such as Forza, Gran Turismo, etc.? Boring as hell and I suck at them. Also, unlike dozens of millions of straight dudes all over the world, I just don't really care much about cars and driving. I did like the Saturn racing games such as Daytona USA and Sega Rally Championship, though.

Sports simulators get boring fast, too. No point in buying FIFA or PES every year when the game only changes its style every 4-5 years or so.

And lastly, I have a bit of a love and hate relationship for JRPGs. If only they didn't have grinding...

PangolinFeets
05-22-2015, 07:46 AM
Ahhh, tough one. I love fighters, but if I have to pick a a favorite, it's King of Fighters. Garou: Mark of the Wolves is my single favorite fighting game ever, but most of my favorite characters were ported to KoF XI and enhanced. I love the cast and the hybridized fun. Plus, Terry is my spirit animal.
Guilty Gear would be my second fav. Its just so faaaast. I love the new one even though they dropped all my characters. I would actually tie this here with Skullgirls. That game is so underappreciated. I wish more people played.
I like Street Fighter, but my fav is 3rd Strike, which isn't quite as widely played anymore. I enjoy the new ones, but 3rd Strike is my jam.
I used to play Tekken competitively, but quit because the circuits got a little too crazy for me. I still love Tekken fav and TT. They're just fun as hell. Same with Smash. I never played competitively, but Smash is nice because its a fighting game anyone can play and everyone has fun playing. And it has a cast anyone can enjoy. Mortal Kombat falls into this category too now, for me. Its so over-the-top that its hilarious. It's great. I did a Kabal cosplay that I use as my profile pic here. XD

I guess an honorable mention that I truly enjoy that I didn't see listed would be Melty Blood. Its insanely simple, but I love the stupid-easymode combos.
And as far as nodtalgia value, absolutely Primal Rage. I am so in love with Primal Rage.

I basically play anything and everything fighting games, but those are my favs.

Prowler
05-22-2015, 07:50 AM
Ahhh, tough one. I love fighters, but if I have to pick a a favorite, it's King of Fighters. Garou: Mark of the Wolves is my single favorite fighting game ever, but most of my favorite characters were ported to KoF XI and enhanced. I love the cast and the hybridized fun. Plus, Terry is my spirit animal.
Guilty Gear would be my second fav. Its just so faaaast. I love the new one even though they dropped all my characters. I would actually tie this here with Skullgirls. That game is so underappreciated. I wish more people played.
I like Street Fighter, but my fav is 3rd Strike, which isn't quite as widely played anymore. I enjoy the new ones, but 3rd Strike is my jam.
I used to play Tekken competitively, but quit because the circuits got a little too crazy for me. I still love Tekken fav and TT. They're just fun as hell. Same with Smash. I never played competitively, but Smash is nice because its a fighting game anyone can play and everyone has fun playing. And it has a cast anyone can enjoy. Mortal Kombat falls into this category too now, for me. Its so over-the-top that its hilarious. It's great. I did a Kabal cosplay that I use as my profile pic here. XD

I guess an honorable mention that I truly enjoy that I didn't see listed would be Melty Blood. Its insanely simple, but I love the stupid-easymode combos.
And as far as nodtalgia value, absolutely Primal Rage. I am so in love with Primal Rage.

I basically play anything and everything fighting games, but those are my favs.
I've heard people saying that Skullgirls has a great tutorial/training mode.

Never played Guilty Gear. Has a kick ass OST, but it's quite a tough game, isn't it?

And isn't Tekken easier to play competitively than, let's say, Street Fighter or Virtua Fighter?

Netkeeper
05-22-2015, 08:52 AM
I think all fighters have a training mode nowadays. But they didn't back in the early 90s. Classic SF and MK definitely didn't have them. You either had to look up the moves in the manual or ask someone else how to pull some moves. And speaking of that... did the manuals of old MK games explain you how to do the fatalities/babalities/animalities, etc? Because I didn't know how to do them as a kid and know some people who couldn't either. I mean, if it wasn't in the manual then how did people find out how to do them? The internet wasn't exactly very accessible back in 1994-1995...
Training mode doesn't teach you what the buttons do. I mean an actual tutorial, like this:
eUOjXftqTL8

Which, ironically, is called a training mode in this game... but it's a tutorial.

PangolinFeets
05-22-2015, 09:33 AM
I've heard people saying that Skullgirls has a great tutorial/training mode.

Never played Guilty Gear. Has a kick ass OST, but it's quite a tough game, isn't it?

And isn't Tekken easier to play competitively than, let's say, Street Fighter or Virtua Fighter?

It has a pretty fun tutorial mode. They have a teacher character who teaches everything. It makes it easy to learn, but its not a difficult fighter to pick up and play if you know classic FG controls. Its almost a parody game. For example, Filia is based on Milia from Guilty Gear (they both fight with their hair and have similar movesets.), Miss Fortune is based on Wolverine from MvC2 (even has Berserker Barrage as her special attack and says it JUST like Wolvie.) And so on. Just another reason its so fun.
Oh, and I forgot to mention the slew of palette colors for characters that are inspired by characters from other fighters. I exclusively play Miss Fortune in her Blue Mary colors, but she has a Leona skin too.

GG has a high learning curve, yea. I had a good group to play with in college so I was pretty good in old formats. And yes, the OST is killer.

It was more the players than the actual skill level as far as competitive events that drove me away.

Prowler
05-22-2015, 09:49 AM
Training mode doesn't teach you what the buttons do. I mean an actual tutorial, like this:
eUOjXftqTL8

Which, ironically, is called a training mode in this game... but it's a tutorial.
Do you really need a tutorial explaining you that if you press "up" you jump? You can just look up the basic controls in the instruction booklet/manual. And even if you don't, you can quickly find out which buttons are kicks, which ones are for punches and how to run/dash or jump. You can figure all of that out in one match. They aren't rocket science unlike special moves and such.

Netkeeper
05-22-2015, 11:14 AM
Not when the buttons aren't "punch, kick, some other thing, guard", or when guarding isn't just one button or other such nonsense. Yes, "press up to jump" isn't necessary, but other things might be.

Again, I'm still butthurt I literally had to ask someone what the buttons in UMvC3 did. It's not like the game came with a manual. God damn modern games and their either complete lack of good instructions or ridiculously hand-holdy tutorials. No middle ground.

Slade
05-24-2015, 12:09 AM

Sega Saturn fighters had the best training modes, imo. SFIV has a cool training mode but it's frustrating having to pause the game every time you want to remind yourself how to pull off a certain move.

Another genre I'm not a fan of is racing simulation. I LOVE racing games such as Mario Kart and F-Zero. And also liked Diddy Kong Racing and Micro Machines a lot as a kid, but realistic racing games such as Forza, Gran Turismo, etc.? Boring as hell and I suck at them. Also, unlike dozens of millions of straight dudes all over the world, I just don't really care much about cars and driving. I did like the Saturn racing games such as Daytona USA and Sega Rally Championship, though.

Sports simulators get boring fast, too. No point in buying FIFA or PES every year when the game only changes its style every 4-5 years or so.

And lastly, I have a bit of a love and hate relationship for JRPGs. If only they didn't have grinding...

I don't even remember mine coming with a manual. I think back in the day it was Gameshark books and stuff that gave out all the fatalities and the likes. Hell, for years, the only thing move I actually knew how to do in Mortal Kombat 1 was throw Scorpion's spear. On super so it was back, back B. Knew one fatality. Block, Up, Up.

Prowler
05-24-2015, 06:14 AM
I don't even remember mine coming with a manual. I think back in the day it was Gameshark books and stuff that gave out all the fatalities and the likes. Hell, for years, the only thing move I actually knew how to do in Mortal Kombat 1 was throw Scorpion's spear. On super so it was back, back B. Knew one fatality. Block, Up, Up.
Even though I played Mk and SF back in the mid-late 90s I never laid my eyes on their manuals, since SNES games came in card boxes and many people just wanted them out of the way. Nowadays me and my brother barely have any SNES games that still have their boxes and manual. And the ones that do were all bought in the last 7-8 years. None back from 90s still have their box. Just the cartridge.

Honestly, why didn't Nintendo make proper cases for their games until the GameCube? And even then, the GBA still had those awful card boxes.

Leo656
05-24-2015, 01:08 PM
They were making an effort to be environmentally-aware by using paper and cardboard products over plastic whenever possible. Simple.

And the earliest MK games did not have the special moves in the manuals. It's been forever since I actually looked at them but back in the "old days", the Fatalities and such were mostly learned through constant repetition and passed on through word of mouth. Also, you always had GamePro and Tips & Tricks magazines. That's how I learned most of the "secrets" from various games when I was a kid, magazines and tip books, many of which had gotten the secrets right from the developers themselves. Otherwise, you had a friend show you what to do. It was part of the "magic", but I gotta say, it did put me off of fighting games for a good number of years. Not being able to consistently do all the cool stuff my buddies could do was frustrating. Now I can just look at a FAQ real quick if I forget, so I'm more inclined to play those kinds of games.

Prowler
05-24-2015, 01:24 PM
They were making an effort to be environmentally-aware by using paper and cardboard products over plastic whenever possible. Simple.

I'd rather bet on them making the game boxes out of card and paper because it was less costly than plastic. Your theory doesn't apply with them changing to plastic cases when the GameCube came out. What, did they suddenly stop caring about the environment? Especially in the 21st century when there's more hardcore environmentalists and tree huggers than ever? Call me cynical, but big companies being environmentally aware back in the 80s-90s when I'm guessing regulations were less tight? I doubt.

Leo656
05-24-2015, 01:30 PM
It probably was cheaper, but they did used to make a big deal out of how "environmentally conscious" they were compared to their competition, mostly during the early 90s when that was a thing people cared about. So it was probably a little of A and B.

And yeah, everyone stopped giving a sh*t for the sake of simplicity and uniformity. You don't still hear people talking about "Earth Day", do you? It's not like the environment suddenly fixed itself; people just stopped caring about it. Once they moved to disc-based media, Nintendo probably figured that using the same cases as everyone else made more sense and was just plain easier. There wasn't any point in being "different", especially since discs are more fragile than carts. Not like they really had a choice.

Prowler
05-24-2015, 01:56 PM

And the earliest MK games did not have the special moves in the manuals. It's been forever since I actually looked at them but back in the "old days", the Fatalities and such were mostly learned through constant repetition and passed on through word of mouth. Also, you always had GamePro and Tips & Tricks magazines. That's how I learned most of the "secrets" from various games when I was a kid, magazines and tip books, many of which had gotten the secrets right from the developers themselves. Otherwise, you had a friend show you what to do. It was part of the "magic", but I gotta say, it did put me off of fighting games for a good number of years. Not being able to consistently do all the cool stuff my buddies could do was frustrating. Now I can just look at a FAQ real quick if I forget, so I'm more inclined to play those kinds of games.

I was a little kid in the 90s, so I don't remember that or paid attention to what was said about video game companies on the news.

It definitely is much easier to store and collect. Retrogamers who are into collecting NES/SNES/N64/GB/GBC/GBA definitely will agree on that one.

Prowler
06-15-2015, 01:27 PM
With the talk about the environment I've overlooked this paragraph of yours.

Ye, I knew how to pull moves in SF because my brother taught me pretty early on how to pull them. But Mortal Kombat... my brother didn't know any fatality, so I ended up not discovering any either until I got access to the internet back in 2000. In fact, many people I've talked to who played Mk as kids told me "I liked MK and all, but couldn't perform any of the fatalities" And it was hard to pull some fatalities at first, especially the ones that required you to press "up", ugh. Also, it didn't help that you only had like 3 seconds to pull a fatality before your opponent fell on the ground.

I vaguely recall the Saturn UMK3 manual listing the special moves for each character, but no fatalities, animalities, friendship or babalities.

As for secrets, ye, it was fun as hell reading about them in magazines or online. I'll always be thankful for ****** geocities and angelfire webpages for revealing Pokémon secrets and cheats. Like Missingno, per example. :lol:. I also found out how to unblock some SSB Melle characters through those webpages. Mewtwo was a weird case, btw. You either had to leave your GC on for like 24 hours(anyone actually did that? lol) or do something else I don't remember, but I definitely went for the latter.

Btw, do video game magazines still do those April Fools and spread rumors? Many people fell for the "triforce rumor" in Ocarina back in the day. And don't even get me started on all the dumb kids who thought Sonic and Knuckles were in Melee, despite being told "no" tons of times, even by Nintendo itself :lol:.

Hell... do people still buy video game mags regularly? I see a lot of magazines nowadays going out of circulation pretty fast. I know my brother buys Edge sometimes, but that one is pretty damn good and has been around for a while. Its covers are as memorable as The Economist's.

Leo656
06-15-2015, 11:18 PM
Well, I get Game Informer b/c it comes with my GameStop rewards whatchamacallit. But I buy so many used games it's actually free. It's alright, but for me, nothing will beat EGM from 1996 - 2003-ish. I just loved the way it was put together, and I got into so many games I never would have. I used to flip through that thing cover to cover (especially when it was up to like 200 pages at one point... thing was a brick! :lol:) and I still look through old issues to find out about more stuff I missed when it was fresh. I was pissed when they shut it down, but I started getting it again when they relaunched it a few years ago, but then I had to drop it again. I don't know if they still publish the physical magazine, actually. :ohwell:

I know GI usually does an April Fool's Prank. They're usually pretty obvious, though. My guess is they slowly got more blatantly fake b/c they got tired of all the angry "You guys fooled me, I'm canceling my subscrition!" letters from gullible nitwits. Thing is, people STILL fall for them even when they're blatantly phony! And they run their "Game Infarcer" section in the middle of the April Fool's issue, which is clearly labeled "PARODY" in all-caps at the bottom of every page, and people write in STILL to complain about the fake "news" or the fake editors. :lol:

As I always say, "People are generally really stupid and the proof is eeeeverywhere you look." :lol:

Falconhood
06-16-2015, 06:06 AM
Good question, especially since I recently bought MKX, and I feel like I wasted $43 on it. I'm not enjoying it yet. I do enjoy the Marvel VS Capcom on 360. Maybe it's just I don't really want to see blood/guts/gore.

Prowler
06-16-2015, 12:46 PM
Well, I get Game Informer b/c it comes with my GameStop rewards whatchamacallit. But I buy so many used games it's actually free. It's alright, but for me, nothing will beat EGM from 1996 - 2003-ish. I just loved the way it was put together, and I got into so many games I never would have. I used to flip through that thing cover to cover (especially when it was up to like 200 pages at one point... thing was a brick! :lol:) and I still look through old issues to find out about more stuff I missed when it was fresh. I was pissed when they shut it down, but I started getting it again when they relaunched it a few years ago, but then I had to drop it again. I don't know if they still publish the physical magazine, actually. :ohwell:

I know GI usually does an April Fool's Prank. They're usually pretty obvious, though. My guess is they slowly got more blatantly fake b/c they got tired of all the angry "You guys fooled me, I'm canceling my subscrition!" letters from gullible nitwits. Thing is, people STILL fall for them even when they're blatantly phony! And they run their "Game Infarcer" section in the middle of the April Fool's issue, which is clearly labeled "PARODY" in all-caps at the bottom of every page, and people write in STILL to complain about the fake "news" or the fake editors. :lol:

As I always say, "People are generally really stupid and the proof is eeeeverywhere you look." :lol:
My brother still owns a crapton of video game magazines from the 90s-early 00s.Some have their closets full of porn mags, whilst others have theirs full of video game mags. :P

Good question, especially since I recently bought MKX, and I feel like I wasted $43 on it. I'm not enjoying it yet. I do enjoy the Marvel VS Capcom on 360. Maybe it's just I don't really want to see blood/guts/gore.
Or maybe you just don't like MK's gameplay much. If you enjoy Marvel vs. Capcom, then I'd say that you're probably more of a Street Fighter than a Mortal Kombat guy.

Garreth
06-17-2015, 01:09 PM
Lord Bison for days!

Prowler
06-25-2015, 06:59 PM
Do you guys remember Fighting Vipers and Fighters Megamix for the Sega Saturn? They were pretty fun back in the day. I believe Vipers had a sequel but I wonder if it was any good. Fighters Megamix, though, despite Virtua Fighter characters having no armor, was a pretty good fighter from what i remember. then again I have not played it since... 2002? Apparently the game is pretty hard to find nowadays. Hell, most Saturn games not named Virtua Fighter 2 or Virtua Cop 2 are probably hard to come across. Especially those that have not been released in the West.

Man, Saturn had quite a bunch of good fighting games, didn't it? There was also Virtual On Cybertroopers, which apparently had several sequels. Didn't know that until today.

Another series I've always had some interest in trying is is SNK's Samurai Shodown. I believe the K-groove form Capcom vs. SNK 2 comes from it.

Ninjinister
06-25-2015, 09:35 PM
I want a Fighters Megamix 2 with a broader roster. But like everything else that's not Sonic, Sega doesn't seem to shive a git.

Prowler
06-25-2015, 09:58 PM
I want a Fighters Megamix 2 with a broader roster. But like everything else that's not Sonic, Sega doesn't seem to shive a git.
But Sega wouldn't probably put Fighting Vipers characters in it since the 2nd and last Fighting Vipers game was all the way back on Dreamcast 14 years ago. I bet it'd make reallyyyy bad numbers. Unless Sega either replaced FV characters with others of theirs or tried to revive the franchise.

Fighting Vipers was more accessible than Virtua Fighters for casuals, from what I recall. It had a pretty cool concept and if Saturn and Dreamcast hadn't failed, I bet it'd be a much more popular fighting series. As for Fighters Megamix, I loved how you could just play as Hornet, that car from Daytona USA :lol:. Man, if only my brother hadn't lent it to a friend of his years ago(you know, the kind of friend who forget to give back things they borrow?). Because as a kid, I was never able to enjoy it properly. Oh well, still have the Fighting Vipers CD in one of the drawers. Better than nothing. Although I'm not sure if it still works or not since I haven't booted it up in ages either. And PAL Sega Saturn CDs get scratches REALLY easily since their boxes are awful. The hell was Sega Europe thinking?! Sega Japan put them in actual proper CD cases. It's such a shame that my Sim City 2000 no longer works :(

I really liked Fighting Vipers and Fighters Megamix training mode(they're the same iirc) btw. The only one that can probably top it is Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution's. And speaking of Vritua Fighter... is there any hope left for this series? 4 sold reasonably well(over 1M units), but 5 was kinda of a flop. Plus, it didn't have online since day one or something which is pretty dumb... even for Sega. Is a 6th game actually in the works?

Still own Virtua Fighter 2 and 1, but don't really have much desire to play either nowadays, especially not 1.

Ever played Virtual On?

Ninjinister
06-26-2015, 10:46 PM
When I meant an expanded roster I meant more than just Virtua Fighter + Fighting Vipers and then some random kooky other ones. I meant just a "Sega al over" roster. Like... the Sega All-Stars Tennis/Racing games but with fighting. Call it Fighters Megamix 2, Sega All-Stars Fighters or whatever... it's nigh time Sega had another crossover fighter. I don't even care if it's just a Smash clone at this point.

Peanut
06-26-2015, 10:50 PM
And I got your first addition to the roster right here...

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/1/14211/439348-stf_bean.png

Prowler
06-26-2015, 11:12 PM
As long as the car from Daytona USA is playable...

shuriken
06-30-2015, 06:36 PM
SOOO tough to choose. But I'd say my fave is Tekken, then MK and Street fighter.

The Deadman
06-06-2016, 11:35 PM
Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, Soul Caliber...those were my go to games.

FredWolfLeonardo
06-06-2016, 11:59 PM
My top 3 favourites are Super Smash Bros, Marvel vs Capcom and Tekken. Wish I could vote for all 3 of them but I gave to smash bros.

myconius
06-22-2016, 10:51 PM
Dead or Alive 2 for me!!!

part 3 was awesome as well!!!

those Ninjas!!! :D

Cure
06-22-2016, 11:18 PM
Yeah, sure. "Ninjas".

TheBlueTurtle1
06-23-2016, 01:55 AM
As much as I love smash, the DLC made the latest roster feel littered and overloaded with crap.

For me the best fighting game is Marvel vs Capcom 2, could play that till the day I die.

myconius
06-23-2016, 05:19 AM
Yeah, sure. "Ninjas".

you don't like Ninjas??? :D

Spike Spiegel
06-23-2016, 08:42 AM
The Street Fighter franchise has always been my favorite, with Ultra SFIV probably being the one I have played the most.

Poison needs to be a playable character in more games.

myconius
06-23-2016, 09:16 AM
The Street Fighter franchise has always been my favorite, with Ultra SFIV probably being the one I have played the most.

Poison needs to be a playable character in more games.

when it comes to fighting games it's hard to pick a favorite!!!

Super Street Fighter 2 was an addiction and a half!!
tried my best to get good with Fei Long, but it wasn't easy when there were other characters throwing fireballs and sonic booms! xD

i really enjoyed when fighting series didn't have projectiles, and focused on the hand to hand.
Virtua Fighter 2 was definitely a favorite!!! those Drunken boxing and Mantis styles! :tthumbsu:
Kage Maru was a pretty awesome character! but he couldn't hold a candle to Ryu Hayabusa from DoA though!! :D

Cure
06-23-2016, 10:37 AM
Yeah, I love ninjas. Big ninjas, little ninjas, real ninjas, fake ninjas. Ninjas of all shapes and sizes.

myconius
06-23-2016, 11:05 AM
Yeah, I love ninjas. Big ninjas, little ninjas, real ninjas, fake ninjas. Ninjas of all shapes and sizes.

sure, who doesn't love those? but they weren't the kinds of ninjas i was referring too! :lol:

http://071bc3d04e2671665c74-5a267f839fbe60d0845a37698418bb02.r26.cf5.rackcdn.c om/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/dead-or-alive-5-raidou-gif-animated-energy-ball.gif

Allio
06-23-2016, 12:39 PM
Nitro + Blasters for the PS4.

I enjoy all those visual novels.

Ninjinister
06-23-2016, 06:28 PM
Nitro + Blasters for the PS4.

I enjoy all those visual novels.

I'm having a harder time getting into ones like that, Dengeki Bunko, and Water Pizza because I have zero point of reference on the subject matter. When I got the Fate/Tiger games I went and researched the series to see where I was but since those are crossovers I just don't have the drive to look up 30 or so different series per game just to know what's going on.

Allio
06-27-2016, 10:54 AM
Understandable. Games like that aren't something like smash bros where characters are essentially household names