PDA

View Full Version : do ppl actually talk like that irl ?

GiveMeBackMyRaphXLeo
05-05-2015, 10:50 AM
It Iv always wanted to ask abt this.

U c, in 2003 version, especially in early episodes, they say "lets book" or "everybody book" when they retreat. And i just looked it up it says its a high school phrase frm the 70s... but its 2003 cartoon.... so im just wondering if ppl rly use thta phrase irl at all, i mean, in 2003 or so, not in the 70s.

neatoman
05-05-2015, 11:01 AM
I'm sorry, I would love to answer your question but I can't take it seriously when you won't even stop using chat abbreviations for a question about how people talk. Asking how realistic it is for people to talk in a certain way comes across as joke when the person wrote it in abbreviations. How about next time you write "people" instead of "ppl", or "really" instead of "rly"?

Unworthy tinker
05-05-2015, 11:08 AM
What I can't take seriously is this question in general. Anyway, I've never heard anyone say it IRL, but still, it's just something they say in there. Is that wrong?

plastroncafe
05-05-2015, 11:33 AM
There's what adults think teens say, and what teens actually say. They're very rarely the same thing.

Jester
05-05-2015, 03:59 PM
Did the 4Kids Turtles really say that? I remember the Fred Wolf Turtles using the phrase, but never the 4kids Turtles.

GiveMeBackMyRaphXLeo
05-05-2015, 09:07 PM
Did the 4Kids Turtles really say that? I remember the Fred Wolf Turtles using the phrase, but never the 4kids Turtles.

only in the early episodes. season one I think.

Leo656
05-05-2015, 09:28 PM
I say "Let's book", and also, "Let's bail." I also make extensive use of the word "Radical".

I wear cowboy boots to social functions, however, so I may not be the best control subject off of which to gain a consensus.

MsMarvelDuckie
05-05-2015, 09:46 PM
To be fair, I still say things like "what's your damage", "totally awesome", and "gag me". Okay, Leo, you can go ahead and make that "Valley Girl" song joke now.....

Leo656
05-05-2015, 09:56 PM
I will cop to using "What's your damage," as well as, "F*** me gently with a chainsaw," because "Heathers", dude.

MsMarvelDuckie
05-05-2015, 10:12 PM
LOL! My hubby says the same thing!

GiveMeBackMyRaphXLeo
05-06-2015, 01:23 AM
I say "Let's book", and also, "Let's bail." I also make extensive use of the word "Radical".

I wear cowboy boots to social functions, however, so I may not be the best control subject off of which to gain a consensus.

Can anyone translate for me?

Jester
05-06-2015, 01:25 AM
ztVMib1T4T4

pennydreadful
05-06-2015, 03:08 AM
I will cop to using "What's your damage," as well as, "F*** me gently with a chainsaw," because "Heathers", dude.

Did you have a brain tumor for breakfast? :P

Anyway, I say "let's book", I use the word "groovy" on a regular basis... people use plenty of different slang based on both their age and the tv/books/movies that they've been exposed to.

MsMarvelDuckie
05-06-2015, 05:28 PM
Heh, I've been known to say things like "ludicrous speed", "Let's blow this joint", or "inconceivable" in normal conversations, on occasion. Or this one: "I'd death-ray my grandmother for a few extra inches". A paraphrase, but fitting, in my case.

IndigoErth
05-06-2015, 05:39 PM
Can anyone translate for me?
N, n wi cnt'.

TheSkeletonMan939
05-06-2015, 06:07 PM
do ppl actly tulk like ther in a chtroom for 9yearolds irl?

GiveMeBackMyRaphXLeo apparently does.

snake
05-06-2015, 08:33 PM
Wl actly pns fs fff gtg lol tyvhenghzai :)

plastroncafe
05-06-2015, 09:23 PM

Anyway, I say "let's book", I use the word "groovy" on a regular basis... people use plenty of different slang based on both their age and the tv/books/movies that they've been exposed to.

I blame the resurgence of "groovy" on X-Men First Class.

pennydreadful
05-06-2015, 09:57 PM
At this point, I shall carefully adjust my hipster glasses and state that I used the word "groovy" before it was cool. :P

Heh, seriously though - I'm not really big on the Xmen movies so if I had to blame any type of film influence, I'd be pointing my pointer square in the direction of my childhood exposure to The Brady Bunch movie.

Oh, I also use the word "funky" and "ace" in a positive way... and the phrase "funky monkeys". And if I like something, I say that I'm digging it.

WTF sort of slang do the young 'uns use these days that this doesn't seem normal? I could never pass for a youth of today... I think the only phraseology of theirs I know is "twerk" and "sext". And I believe they have some kind of creature known as a Macklemore? :lol:

http://img.pandawhale.com/61662-Steve-buscemi-How-do-you-do-fe-uwqM.gif

Leo656
05-06-2015, 11:36 PM
Heh, I've been known to say things like "ludicrous speed", "Let's blow this joint", or "inconceivable" in normal conversations, on occasion. Or this one: "I'd death-ray my grandmother for a few extra inches". A paraphrase, but fitting, in my case.

"Indeed", is one I commonly throw out. My niece thinks it's the funniest thing ever. Sometimes I exaggerate it like a super-villain, depending on the situation. "In-deeeed." And tent my fingers in a contemplative fashion like Mr. Burns.

I've only been saying it since Ashley J. Williams has been saying it. Oh, and "Corn nuts", bitch. :tcool:

N, n wi cnt'.

:lol: Lost. Mah. Sh*t. :lol:

MsMarvelDuckie
05-06-2015, 11:44 PM
Heh, Ashley, huh? Hail to the king, baby. Also, this:

"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun."

and I've even used this: "Little goody-TWO-shoes! Little goody-TWO-shoes!"
(This one was in one of my comics, where the hero accidentally creates an evil double of himself from a cursed mirror in Dr. Strange's house. Apparently, the double remembers him seeing Army of Darkness....)

GiveMeBackMyRaphXLeo
05-07-2015, 12:17 AM
Heh, Ashley, huh? Hail to the king, baby. Also, this:

"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun."

and I've even used this: "Little goody-TWO-shoes! Little goody-TWO-shoes!"
(This one was in one of my comics, where the hero accidentally creates an evil double of himself from a cursed mirror in Dr. Strange's house. Apparently, the double remembers him seeing Army of Darkness....)
Wut does it even mean...

N, n wi cnt'.
wuts the big deal man ppl all text like that

MsMarvelDuckie
05-07-2015, 12:26 AM
Wut does it even mean...

Seriously?! I was quoting Army of Darkness. Go rent the movie, you'll get the joke.

Leo656
05-07-2015, 12:34 AM
Pretty sure they're 10.

Although, if so, they're up kinda late. :lol:

Autbot_Benz
05-07-2015, 12:38 AM
Seriously?! I was quoting Army of Darkness. Go rent the movie, you'll get the joke.

The Troll has 2 things left Jack and **** and Jack left town

IndigoErth
05-07-2015, 12:39 AM
wuts the big deal man ppl all text like that
Ain't me, I still talk pretty in Englishs as texts. But sounds like I did it right? Yay.

:tlol:

MsMarvelDuckie
05-07-2015, 12:41 AM

I LOL'ed. :tlol:

Wolfie65
05-07-2015, 08:28 AM
There's what adults think teens say, and what teens actually say. They're very rarely the same thing.

This.
Many adults seem to have either forgotten what it was really like to be a kid or teen or they are doing their level best to suppress the memory, for a potentially endless variety of reasons.
That's why we get either mini-adults or caricatures of some script writer's idea of what kids sound or act like.
A few TV shows that actually came fairly close to the real thing would be Degrassi High; Eerie, Indiana and Freaks & Geeks.
Not only did they use actual kids to play kids - as opposed to the 20- or even 30-somethings who often play 'teenagers' in American movies and TV shows - they even allowed them to more or less act like kids.

Prowler
05-07-2015, 10:04 AM
This.
Many adults seem to have either forgotten what it was really like to be a kid or teen or they are doing their level best to suppress the memory, for a potentially endless variety of reasons.
That's why we get either mini-adults or caricatures of some script writer's idea of what kids sound or act like.
A few TV shows that actually came fairly close to the real thing would be Degrassi High; Eerie, Indiana and Freaks & Geeks.
Not only did they use actual kids to play kids - as opposed to the 20- or even 30-somethings who often play 'teenagers' in American movies and TV shows - they even allowed them to more or less act like kids.
The reason why it's usually people in their mid-late 20s who play teenagers in HS dramas and movies is because they have more experience and tend to be better actors.

plastroncafe
05-07-2015, 10:16 AM
Well that and because people in their 20s have stopped growing.
Actual kids/teenagers won't be teenagers if a series gets more than one season.

Examples:

Bran on "Game of Thrones"
Bobby Draper on "Mad Men"

Prowler
05-07-2015, 10:40 AM
Well that and because people in their 20s have stopped growing.
Actual kids/teenagers won't be teenagers if a series gets more than one season.

Examples:

Bran on "Game of Thrones"
Bobby Draper on "Mad Men"
True. Although let's say each season si equivalent to a school year. You could see them growing up.

It's not that common for characters to age on tv, though. Bart Simpson is still in 4th grade after all these years. South Park characters have climbed up to other grades, though. I remember one episode where they were sad for not being in 3rd grade anymore.

plastroncafe
05-07-2015, 10:55 AM
Like the Harry Potter kids? Yeah, sure. That works, but...honestly, I think they were damn lucky that worked.

Same with Avatar: The Last Airbender. They really lucked out that their production schedule allowed them to get all they needed too out of voice actor for Aang.

If you watch Korra you can hear how different Meelo sounds from one season to the next.

Klunk1234
05-07-2015, 10:32 PM

English is not my first language, but I tend to use the word "and" too much when I speak. And somebody have to explain me that groovy is the 70's equivalent of cool. Many 80's cartoons reboots are coming back whether on TV or in comic form like Jem and the Holograms ( famous catchphrase: outrageous!) but due to the Spanish dubbing when was living in my country, I never knew about that phrase until I saw the whole series back in 2014 on Netflix. Remember "Clueless" and it's catchphrase "As if" very popular among 90's teens and 20 somethings.

Wolfie65
05-10-2015, 08:37 AM
One reason why it worked in Harry Potter - at least in the first 3 1/2 movies, the whole thing kinda falls apart after that, but that isn't the kids' fault - was that they got actors who were close to the age they were actually supposed to be. Same for Degrassi, Freaks, Eerie. You might say something similar for the ABC sitcom Modern Family, which was actually pretty good for a couple of seasons, and I happen to think that the kids' acting was better the first few seasons, so the argument that older people are automatically better actors doesn't stand up.