PDA

View Full Version : Why no good TMNT fighting game?

neatoman
05-06-2015, 04:49 AM
So TMNT would be a prime target to make fighting games out of, right? Martial arts themes, lot's visually memorable characters and plenty of et pieces for stages... So how come there has only been three TMNT fighting games and how come they all kind of suck?

The Snes version of Tournament Fighters comes the closest to being good but still has some problems with the gameplay, the other two are certainly weaker. Smash-Up is a slow Smash Bros clone that lacks much of what makes Smash Bros so fun, and a rather small roster for a game in 2009.

And then there's Mutant Melee, I'll let it speak for itself.
qO8CdquM3WA

So yeah, why no good TMNT fighting games?

Prowler
05-06-2015, 12:30 PM
The SNES version of Tournament Fighters was pretty decent. It was a mere Street Fighter clone like many of the time, but one of the best ones by far. Wasn't great by any means, but it's definitely playable.

The NES version isn't as good, but does alright considering it's on an older console and one of the few fighters for it. It was kinda ambitious to make a fighting game for the NES. Although it did come out for it as late as 1993.

The Genesis/Mega Drive version however, was poor.

Why no good TMNT fighting games? Well TMNT games are just games meant to cash out on a popular franchise. Developers don't make much of an effort and don't make use of very high budgets for those games since there isn't much of a demand for them in comparison to many other series. And nowadays, it seems pretty much impossible to make a good TMNT fighting game that could rival with the likes of Tekken, Street Fighter, Virtua Fighter, Soul Calibur, etc. in terms of gameplay.

Also, first time I've ever seen recorded footage of Mutant Melee. Looks awful.

TigerClaw
05-06-2015, 12:32 PM
I would like to see a new TMNT Tournament Fighter done with today's graphics.

Or maybe they can be guest characters in Super Smash Bros for Wii U and 3DS?

Powder
05-06-2015, 01:22 PM
Or maybe they can be guest characters in Super Smash Bros for Wii U and 3DS?

Do you really honestly think that there's even a .1% chance of that? :tneutral:

Prowler
05-06-2015, 01:36 PM
He could always play Mugen(is that still around, even?)

slashpieturtlemix
05-06-2015, 02:18 PM
Mugen is still around. Also I highly doubt smash would put them in. They usually have 3rd party companies contact them way in advance to have them in. Snake missed the roster in Melee for that reason and they tossed him in Brawl. Also I loved the snes fighting game lol

TigerClaw
05-06-2015, 02:25 PM
Well, Nintendo has a page where you can submit characters you wanna see in Super Smash Bros, You can enter the Submissions here.
https://cp.nintendo.co.jp/us/

The Turtles are video game characters too, So you can submit one of them.

The submissions ask. The Gender, The name of the Character, Why this character become a fighter, And what game he is from.

And there been a lot of 3rd party TMNT games that were on the Nintendo consoles.

Powder
05-06-2015, 03:56 PM
Yeah, I'm sure Nintendo is just dying to put non-Nintendo non-video game franchise characters into their game.

DevilSpooky
05-06-2015, 04:48 PM
You can always create them on SCV like I did :P

Sabacooza
05-06-2015, 08:53 PM
I would like to see a new TMNT Tournament Fighter done with today's graphics.I'm thinking maybe Street Fighter 4 or 5 graphics. That would be sweet but we'll never get anything that good.

Leo656
05-06-2015, 11:45 PM
You can always create them on SCV like I did :P

I did that with III. :lol: I haven't really played past that one in the series. I beat it with "Leo", though. :lol: I always made TMNT and He-Man characters when I played SoulCalibur. :lol:

I'd love an updated Tournament Fighters style game. Just throw everybody in there. Do it in that "cleaned-up" faux 16-bit throwback style, if you want. F*ck it, that stuff's popular right now.

It could be pretty good if they'd bother. People forget, wasn't long ago people said a fighting game with DC characters would by definition be either impossible or terrible, then Injustice happened (and I'd argue that even MK vs. DC isn't bad). Stuff can change in a hurry if people are properly motivated.

DevilSpooky
05-07-2015, 03:53 AM
I did that with III. :lol: I haven't really played past that one in the series. I beat it with "Leo", though. :lol: I always made TMNT and He-Man characters when I played SoulCalibur. :lol:

Dude try V, you can do so much more in it, you even have Turtle shells in it :teek:

Leo656
05-07-2015, 04:41 AM
Well f*** me running, I guess I should go ahead and work on that. :lol: Thanks for the tip, broski.

Prowler
05-07-2015, 10:14 AM
I created the four turtles in WWE Day of Reckoning 2 for the GameCube. That game had a great CAW mode. Much better than the SD vs. Raw series one.

Ever played it, Leo?

The-Shredder
05-07-2015, 01:06 PM
That Mutant Melee footage above makes the game look a lot worse than it really is, especially with the lack of background music. To be honest, it's not that bad of a game, but I admit that it does certainly feel underwhelming overall.
fW5TVlGR6Xg

Prowler
05-07-2015, 01:35 PM
Still looks pretty bad.

DevilSpooky
05-07-2015, 04:56 PM
Well f*** me running, I guess I should go ahead and work on that. :lol: Thanks for the tip, broski.

You can check my creations on the link on my sig, they're not perfect and still need lots of work but I'm proud of them :P

Leo656
05-07-2015, 08:24 PM
I created the four turtles in WWE Day of Reckoning 2 for the GameCube. That game had a great CAW mode. Much better than the SD vs. Raw series one.

Ever played it, Leo?

You're asking ME this. I have three memory cards worth of CAWS for both Day of Reckonings. :lol: I have almost every wrestling game ever released in America. :)

And yeah, the DoR had an awesome CAW system, but I only ever used it to make real wrestlers. I just got another card, though, so maybe I'll mess with some other CAWs for it. I mostly been playing the N64 ones lately, though.

DevilSpooky: I seen 'em. Neat. I'm curious now. :lol:

Shark_Blade
05-07-2015, 08:29 PM
Like I said, we need Mortal Kombat TMNT fighting game. Straight up decapitation, slashing brutal beatdown and amped up the gore to the max. Blood all over the place. :tlove:

Jester
05-07-2015, 08:43 PM
I really enjoy Melee, but man it could get frustrating.

Prowler
05-08-2015, 02:27 AM
You're asking ME this. I have three memory cards worth of CAWS for both Day of Reckonings. :lol: I have almost every wrestling game ever released in America. :)

And yeah, the DoR had an awesome CAW system, but I only ever used it to make real wrestlers. I just got another card, though, so maybe I'll mess with some other CAWs for it. I mostly been playing the N64 ones lately, though.

DevilSpooky: I seen 'em. Neat. I'm curious now. :lol:
I figured you'd have played them :lol:

DoR 2 was pretty good. And its storymode completely sh*t on any SD game I have ever played. It didn't have as many wrestlers as the SD games of the time, but it was a quality game and more realistic than SD vs. Raw.

I never made a real wrestler on it. I began making a CAW of myself to play the story mode and then made the Turtles, Scorpion from Mortal Kombat and that's all, me thinks.

neatoman
05-08-2015, 07:55 AM
Like I said, we need Mortal Kombat TMNT fighting game. Straight up decapitation, slashing brutal beatdown and amped up the gore to the max. Blood all over the place. :tlove:

No, nothing wrong with a little gore but MK sees gore as higher priority than gameplay.

If we're gonna pull something from another fighting game, how about using King of Fighters team mechanic instead? That way you can play as all four turtles in a match.

Leo656
05-08-2015, 08:48 PM
No, nothing wrong with a little gore but MK sees gore as higher priority than gameplay.

I'm not "the fighting game guy" but I'm gonna have to disagree with this. I haven't played the newest one, but the last MK game was crazy tight. I know the earliest MK games are pretty much looked at as "gore over gameplay", but I feel like everything since Deadly Alliance has had plenty of gameplay. I wouldn't say the violence is a higher priority. It's what sets them apart from other fighting game series, yeah, but I don't think it's THE priority, anymore.

Prowler
05-09-2015, 02:43 AM

If we're gonna pull something from another fighting game, how about using King of Fighters team mechanic instead? That way you can play as all four turtles in a match.
But don't make a Turtles fighting game as complicated as KoF. Especially NOT THE DAMN BOSSES. :lol:.

I'm not "the fighting game guy" but I'm gonna have to disagree with this. I haven't played the newest one, but the last MK game was crazy tight. I know the earliest MK games are pretty much looked at as "gore over gameplay", but I feel like everything since Deadly Alliance has had plenty of gameplay. I wouldn't say the violence is a higher priority. It's what sets them apart from other fighting game series, yeah, but I don't think it's THE priority, anymore.
After watching the AVGN and Mike Matei playing Mortal Kombat X, I felt the desire to play it. Honestly, I love Street Fighter and all, but MK seems a lot funner to play with friends.

Galactus
05-09-2015, 03:00 PM
The Snes version of Tournament Fighters comes the closest to being good but still has some problems with the gameplay

Like?

Nothing that I'd say would make me describe it as 'not good'. It might be shameless clone (which added some pretty significant innovations still used today btw) but I'd put it over the original SNES release of Street Fighter II.

oldmanwinters
05-10-2015, 01:57 PM
In my opinion, the animation on the SNES Tournament Fighters is somewhat too choppy for my taste. And when playing against that AI, the opponent tends to block attacks more than anything else. So annoying!

Leo656
05-10-2015, 03:12 PM
They do, they do, and it's super frustrating, but every one of them has a very precise and repetitive pattern that's easy enough to exploit once you figure it out. Just takes a lot of trial and error. If you attack at the wrong time, though, then yeah, they hand you your ass. It's been a while since I played it, I'd probably get my ass handed to me now until I figured it all out again.

Coola Yagami
05-10-2015, 10:02 PM
SNES Tournament Fighters was an awesome game and very well done. I give it a huge amount of credit since at the time, fighting games were big and everyone and their mother made a fighting game for the home consoles.... and they all sucked unless they were ports of already existing successful arcade games. So games like MK and SF, already based on arcades were good.... but originals lie Shaq Fu and Ballz were horrible. I give the SNES TF credit for NOT being based on an arcade game and still rockin the house.

It's just too bad that the TMNT fame was all but dead when it came out, it easily could have had a sequel. It's too bad that whenever they decided to make a new fighting game it had to be Smash Brothers-y.

Leo656
05-10-2015, 10:26 PM
I actually, occasionally, have vivid dreams about playing 16-bit era games that never actually existed, like a second Tournament Fighters. :lol: I've woken up more than once pissed off that it wasn't real.

oldmanwinters
05-11-2015, 06:01 AM
I actually, occasionally, have vivid dreams about playing 16-bit era games that never actually existed, like a second Tournament Fighters. :lol: I've woken up more than once pissed off that it wasn't real.

Heh, can't say I haven't had a similar experience! Every once in a while I'll also dream about watching a long lost classic series TMNT episode that's premiering for the first time.

Konami put a lot of work not only into the actual SNES TF game, but also in the manual promotional material with original artwork being commissioned for each playable character's pages:

Manual:
https://www.mediafire.com/?efbve2gjx4f771r[/QUOTE]

Japan really loved the Turtles in the mid-1990s.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a56/slimer2erasmus/manga/IMG_0003_zps2vtl1qxn.jpg (http://s9.photobucket.com/user/slimer2erasmus/media/manga/IMG_0003_zps2vtl1qxn.jpg.html)

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a56/slimer2erasmus/manga/IMG_0004_zpshdiirjd5.jpg (http://s9.photobucket.com/user/slimer2erasmus/media/manga/IMG_0004_zpshdiirjd5.jpg.html)

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a56/slimer2erasmus/manga/IMG_0005_zpsqp0yuwsj.jpg (http://s9.photobucket.com/user/slimer2erasmus/media/manga/IMG_0005_zpsqp0yuwsj.jpg.html)

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a56/slimer2erasmus/manga/IMG_0006_zps0izbujj4.jpg (http://s9.photobucket.com/user/slimer2erasmus/media/manga/IMG_0006_zps0izbujj4.jpg.html)

Manual:
https://www.mediafire.com/?efbve2gjx4f771r

slashpieturtlemix
05-11-2015, 09:43 AM

lol what I got out of this is that you are going through withdrawls :P

Sabacooza
05-11-2015, 01:58 PM
Why doesn't anyone on here attempt to make a fighting game? I know there are a couple people on here that know how to do it. I'd do it myself but I have no knowledge when it comes to computer programming for video games. I'd still love to give input though.

The-Shredder
05-11-2015, 02:32 PM
Why doesn't anyone on here attempt to make a fighting game? I know there are a couple people on here that know how to do it. I'd do it myself but I have no knowledge when it comes to computer programming for video games. I'd still love to give input though.

Apparently there's this thing called M.U.G.E.N, which is a fighting game engine that is run by community created content, including TMNT.

v_CesNDLHg4

Sabacooza
05-11-2015, 02:38 PM
Apparently there's this thing called M.U.G.E.N, which is a fighting game engine that is run by community created content, including TMNT.

v_CesNDLHg4I saw that and it's really cool but I'm referring to something with all new graphics like something in HD. I know you can do HD games with M.U.G.E.N but again, I myself have no knowledge on how to use it. I would very much love to though.:D

oldmanwinters
05-11-2015, 05:18 PM
I saw that and it's really cool but I'm referring to something with all new graphics like something in HD. I know you can do HD games with M.U.G.E.N but again, I myself have no knowledge on how to use it. I would very much love to though.:D

It's pretty easy to download the basic program executable file. Then you'll need to go download some additional character and stage files and edited the program's data/select.def file to add the new stuff in there. I highly recommend you give it a look, especially the TMNT characters of dcat, who just released an update to his highly acclaimed Shredder custom.

Sabacooza
05-11-2015, 05:49 PM
It's pretty easy to download the basic program executable file. Then you'll need to go download some additional character and stage files and edited the program's data/select.def file to add the new stuff in there. I highly recommend you give it a look, especially the TMNT characters of dcat, who just released an update to his highly acclaimed Shredder custom.I did and I could never get it to work. when I put the characters in and tried to use them, I would always get an error.

oldmanwinters
05-11-2015, 06:35 PM
I did and I could never get it to work. when I put the characters in and tried to use them, I would always get an error.

One thing that often causes that is the file names not being accurate and/or consistent between the character's folder, the character's .DEF file, and the character's listing on the data/select.def file.

If the Mugen program loads but then crashes whenever you try to select a specific character, then that's a likely explanation.

Plus, if you just want to view the sprites and animation files for Mugen characters (Dcat's stuff is a real treat), you can download the program Fighter Factory Ultimate.

Sabacooza
05-11-2015, 06:46 PM
One thing that often causes that is the file names not being accurate and/or consistent between the character's folder, the character's .DEF file, and the character's listing on the data/select.def file.

If the Mugen program loads but then crashes whenever you try to select a specific character, then that's a likely explanation.

Plus, if you just want to view the sprites and animation files for Mugen characters (Dcat's stuff is a real treat), you can download the program Fighter Factory Ultimate.Awesome! Thanks for the help. Lately, I really wanted to make a TMNT fighter with a large character roster. Actually, I had making a TMNT fighter in the back of my mind ever since my friend said a game studio in Canada was working on a new TMNT fighter that would've looked very much like SF4. Sadly, everything fell through.:(

oldmanwinters
05-11-2015, 08:04 PM
Awesome! Thanks for the help. Lately, I really wanted to make a TMNT fighter with a large character roster. Actually, I had making a TMNT fighter in the back of my mind ever since my friend said a game studio in Canada was working on a new TMNT fighter that would've looked very much like SF4. Sadly, everything fell through.:(

Fighter Factory Ultimate would probably be a necessary tool for doing something like that. If you're skilled enough with with sprite making/editing, it could open lots of possibilities for you.

Sabacooza
05-11-2015, 08:16 PM
Fighter Factory Ultimate would probably be a necessary tool for doing something like that. If you're skilled enough with with sprite making/editing, it could open lots of possibilities for you.I never worked with sprites but I'm a master at Photoshop. I imagine that could be very useful. I'll check out Fighter Factory Ultimate.Thanks. It might be nice to get together with a group of people and make something really great happen.

Leo656
05-11-2015, 10:43 PM
Man, they really went all-out on those Japanese manuals. Spiffy.

DarkFell
05-11-2015, 11:23 PM

Plus, if you just want to view the sprites and animation files for Mugen characters (Dcat's stuff is a real treat), you can download the program Fighter Factory Ultimate.
Thanks for the mention. I want to give the MUGEN's a go, but wasn't sure how to go about it.

oldmanwinters
05-12-2015, 11:24 AM
Man, they really went all-out on those Japanese manuals. Spiffy.

I've never actually seen the Japanese manual, but I expect it would be pretty sweet.

The scans I posted were actually from a 1994 Kodansha published Japanese book titled: "TMNT Secret Encyclopedia" or something roughly translated to that effect.

Leo656
05-12-2015, 10:33 PM
Oh. Well, f*ck me. :lol: WHATEVER those things were, they were neat-lookin'. :tgrin:

John Pannozzi
05-14-2015, 07:24 PM
I've never actually seen the Japanese manual, but I expect it would be pretty sweet.

The scans I posted were actually from a 1994 Kodansha published Japanese book titled: "TMNT Secret Encyclopedia" or something roughly translated to that effect.

Could you please post a few more scans, especially one of the front cover?

oldmanwinters
05-14-2015, 07:53 PM
Could you please post a few more scans, especially one of the front cover?

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a56/slimer2erasmus/manga/CoverJacketA_zpsidwsrhlb.jpg (http://s9.photobucket.com/user/slimer2erasmus/media/manga/CoverJacketA_zpsidwsrhlb.jpg.html)

Powder
05-14-2015, 08:01 PM
If you've scanned that in full, shoot me the original file, please. I'll clean things up & crop them for you to redistribute. :)

slashpieturtlemix
05-14-2015, 08:58 PM
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a56/slimer2erasmus/manga/CoverJacketA_zpsidwsrhlb.jpg (http://s9.photobucket.com/user/slimer2erasmus/media/manga/CoverJacketA_zpsidwsrhlb.jpg.html)

That is so cool lol I want to hunt it down now :)

dcat
07-13-2017, 06:32 PM
I did and I could never get it to work. when I put the characters in and tried to use them, I would always get an error.

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r319/dcatmanga/mugen000wfewe.png

Perhaps you're not using the correct version of the M.U.G.E.N. engine.
My TMNT characters are only supported on M.U.G.E.N. 1.0. If you're trying to use them in WinMugen, they won't work and the game will crash.

Download MUGEN 1.0 here (http://network.mugenguild.com/justnopoint/mugen100.zip)

Link to My TMNT MUGEN characters (http://mugenguild.com/forum/topics/tmnt-by-dcat-updated-1-0-shredder-krang-released-147975.0.html)

Link to Kamekaze's TMNT Tournament Fighters characters (network.mugenguild.com/kamekaze/)

have fun and enjoy!

lonewarrior20
07-16-2017, 02:04 PM

i'd love for snk to do a 2d fighting game. the final boss could be krang with lasers and a final attack with retro mutagen if not beaten in a certain amount of time. though i would like one for the 2012 series where the final boss is super shredder. now that would be an snk boss. spaming with his shooting claws and inescapable grabs that smash you into the floor.

Coola Yagami
10-02-2017, 10:20 PM
Man... a Blazblue/Guilty Gear type Tmnt fighting game would kick so much ass....

Prowler
10-04-2017, 04:25 AM
Man... a Blazblue/Guilty Gear type Tmnt fighting game would kick so much ass....
What about a KOF style TMNT fighting game? I think it'd be cool due to the 2-3 player team battles, and teamwork is a big thing in the TMNT world.

Sabacooza
10-05-2017, 01:57 PM
I'd still like to see a TMNT fighter using the Street Fighter 5 engine.

Coola Yagami
10-05-2017, 03:23 PM
What about a KOF style TMNT fighting game? I think it'd be cool due to the 2-3 player team battles, and teamwork is a big thing in the TMNT world.

Dude yes!! That would be awesome. And make it have sequels and not just be a one time thing.

Andrew NDB
10-05-2017, 04:20 PM
If anything, give it the Tekken 7 engine. Full 3D fighting.

And while I don't know how excited I'd be to play a fighter where it's, you know, things like Leonardo vs. April, Casey vs. Rat King... it's probably the most realistic way to get a quality TMNT game. What I mean is, the development time for a fighter is fairly quick (compared to some kind of sandbox game, or anything the last few TMNT games have tried to be), moreso if they are gift-wrapped an engine in their lap.

Panda_Kahn_fan
10-05-2017, 09:24 PM
Personally, I'd love to see a TMNT fighting game with a complex story, from the setting of the battle nexus. This setting has so much potential for a street-fighter style epic story!

Ninjinister
10-06-2017, 03:49 AM
If anything, give it the Tekken 7 engine. Full 3D fighting.

I feel like enough characters in the series are characterized by iconic weapons enough to where something more like SoulCalibur would make sense. Unless you'd rather them only bring out weapons for specials and fight with fisticuffs? That'd be... weird. Almost as weird as Tournament Fighters NES shelving the Turtles' weapons completely.

oldmanwinters
10-06-2017, 09:45 AM
That'd be... weird. Almost as weird as Tournament Fighters NES shelving the Turtles' weapons completely.

I imagine that was to save on memory (and, ultimately, costs) as they could easily reuse the same Turtle sprite with only a palette change.

Ninjinister
10-06-2017, 02:15 PM
I imagine that was to save on memory (and, ultimately, costs) as they could easily reuse the same Turtle sprite with only a palette change.

Oh that's undoubtedly why... it just felt wrong.

(And since Hothead ate up so much memory to begin with, I wonder why they didn't just trade him out for a smaller character to save...?)

oldmanwinters
10-06-2017, 02:20 PM
Oh that's undoubtedly why... it just felt wrong.

(And since Hothead ate up so much memory to begin with, I wonder why they didn't just trade him out for a smaller character to save...?)

You have to admit that convenient explanation in the game manual about why you can't put two Hot-Heads on screen at once was pretty memorable, even if there was a work-around:
Due to the nature of the dragon-warrior spirit which inhabits Hot Head's body, there cannot be a duel between two Hot Heads. It would be like putting two Siamese fighting fish in the same bowl. Trust us - that's an ugly scene you don't want to see!

Also, the Chris Allan artwork of the Warrior Dragon looked amazing on the cover!