PDA

View Full Version : DC's Convergence

Leo656
05-07-2015, 12:22 AM
Anybody reading it?

I picked up a few issues on Free Comic Book Day... 0 through 4 and a couple Superman-related ones. Neat idea, but somehow, despite the grand scheme and the implications of it, it can't help but feel like it's kind of on the lower-end as far as these cosmic events go. It's neat seeing characters and stories done in the various older styles again, though. Reminds me heavily of Zero Hour, which I rather enjoyed. Main book seems kind of thin on plot, and the entire experience isn't exactly what I'd call "new-reader friendly", but it's neat.

I'll probably pick up the second half and a few more in a couple weeks. I'm interested in seeing what kind of twist they'll have in the late rounds. You know they're not going to wipe out their beloved Multiverse. Those "alternate" worlds like Injustice are DC's bread and butter at this point, after all. So I'm curious to see how they change up the status quo while still finding a way out of the "All worlds are dead" scenario.

Also: Hey! Neat! Time Masters. That's always fun.

ZariusTwo
05-07-2015, 03:47 AM
Anybody reading it?

I picked up a few issues on Free Comic Book Day... 0 through 4 and a couple Superman-related ones. Neat idea, but somehow, despite the grand scheme and the implications of it, it can't help but feel like it's kind of on the lower-end as far as these cosmic events go. It's neat seeing characters and stories done in the various older styles again, though. Reminds me heavily of Zero Hour, which I rather enjoyed.

Well, it helps that some of the tie-in material are from the Zero Hour era:)

Main book seems kind of thin on plot, and the entire experience isn't exactly what I'd call "new-reader friendly", but it's neat.

The main story seems to be doing a few 180s at the moment, but it's refreshing to see most of the focus is on the Earth 2 characters at the moment rather than any of the main heroes we're accustomed to. It shows a real commitment by DC to back some of their new directions up against a threat commonly associated with the classic heroes.

I'll probably pick up the second half and a few more in a couple weeks. I'm interested in seeing what kind of twist they'll have in the late rounds. You know they're not going to wipe out their beloved Multiverse. Those "alternate" worlds like Injustice are DC's bread and butter at this point, after all. So I'm curious to see how they change up the status quo while still finding a way out of the "All worlds are dead" scenario.

Also: Hey! Neat! Time Masters. That's always fun.

Was'nt Injustice's world actually destroyed in one of the recent Convergence issues? Granted, that might not stick, but they were deemed a "failed experiment" by Telos and blown up.

Stan Lee's "Just Imagine" interpretations were wiped out too.

I've been reading the tie-ins and they're mainly all fluff and fun. And intentionally so.

Seeing pre-52 Supes and Lois having a kid, or Nightwing and Oracle getting married, or Wally and his kids kicking tail, or vintage Harley poisoning Captain Carrot, or Paralax on a rampage, or Roy Harper getting his daughter back

DC doing something nice for everyone for once is always a good thing.

Leo656
05-07-2015, 04:49 AM
Yeah, but the Injustice book still has like two "years" left of its own run, probably, and it seems like a good deal of DC's higher-performing books have to do with alternate worlds in one fashion or other, from Injustice to the Earth-One books, so I highly doubt all the alternate realities are going to stay "dead" post-Convergence. There'll be a twist to it, there always is. :)

ZariusTwo
05-09-2015, 06:32 AM
Interesting plot thread in JL#40.

Metron is trying to prevent Mobius the Anti-Monitor from triggering another crisis, and brings up the previous crises over the generations that have resulted in reboots and retcons. The fabric of reality seemingly can't handle another one of these.

ZariusTwo
05-27-2015, 03:14 AM
Convergence#8

They retconned Crisis on Infinite Earths. Somehow. OFF-PANEL. Hypertime wasn't name-dropped but we essentially got a "every universe exists, it's just some stepped aside and allowed others to evolve from them, but they're still there. Honest." Or some other confusing bollocks.

Pre-Flashpoint Supes and Lois, Pre-Crisis Kara, Paralax, and Pre-Crisis Barry exist as paradoxes now.